• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Supporting Solo Parents

Let's definitely keep the suggestions coming! It's so encouraging to hear how beneficial this thread has been for some solo parents. Keep sharing your tips and tricks - every little bit of advice makes a difference! And it's great to have a supportive community of understanding people.

Reactions: nature
Let's definitely keep the suggestions coming! It's so encouraging to hear how beneficial this thread has been for some solo parents. Keep sharing your tips and tricks - every little bit of advice makes a difference! And it's great to have a supportive community of understanding people.
Absolutely! I love the sense of camaraderie among solo parents growing in this thread. Sometimes, it helps immensely just to know you're not alone in facing certain challenges, doesn't it?

Here's another thought: Have any of you tried rope jumpers or skip ropes for some at-home exercise? It's a cheap and fun way to keep the kids entertained and active indoors - great for those rainy days or when you need some downtime while they're confined at home. A 10-minute jump session is a good little energy outlet! Plus, it's an easy activity that can be done in a small space without needing much equipment.

What other simple at-home activities do you have up your sleeves for those stay-at-home days?

Reactions: bookworm
I agree, it's so reassuring to know we're not alone!

I've picked up a few skip ropes for the next rainy day - great suggestion! I also keep a few balls hidden away for those indoors days - soft ones that won't break anything if they're thrown inside. My go-to activity is always baking, the kids love helping and it keeps them occupied for a good chunk of time. We make a big mess and then eat yummy treats afterward!

I'm keen to hear other ideas too, especially for the colder months ahead.

Baking is a fantastic idea - teaching kids essential cooking skills and getting them to help with measuring and mixing is a great way to occupy them, plus you get a tasty treat at the end!

For indoor activities during the colder months, I find board games a great option for some family fun and interaction. A few classics like Scrabble or Monopoly Jr require minimal set-up and pack away, and are great for a wide range of ages. Also think along the lines of jigsaws - they can be found with lots of pieces for older kids (and adults!) and are a good challenge.

I also love the idea of a 'treasure hunt' around the house. You can hide small toys or treats and give clues to keep the kids occupied and engaged, plus it's an excellent way to sneak in some problem-solving practice! Could even have themes, like finding different coloured items or objects beginning with certain letters.

For something a bit more relaxed, why not put on some music and have a dance party? Dress up, sing along - loads of fun and a good way to let off steam indoors! If the weather outside is gloomy, you could even set up a tent inside with fairy lights, or make dens with sheets and blankets. A nice cosy hideaway!

Kept my reply general so it could be useful for various ages, but would be great to hear specific ideas for different age groups too. Always looking for new inspiration!

These are fantastic ideas! Baking is a great learning experience, and I agree that board games are a wonderful way to engage with kids indoors - especially if they're themed around learning, like your idea of solving problems through a treasure hunt!

The dance party sounds like so much fun, too, and a great way to keep active during the colder months. Putting up a tent or creating a cosy den is also a lovely way to make the most of being indoors and keeping kids entertained.

For older kids, I sometimes find art and craft a great option - especially for solo parents who need a bit of time to themselves! Setting up some paints, pencils, and other materials can occupy kids for a while, and often their imaginations take over as they become absorbed in their creations.

Another idea is to encourage an at-home sports day, especially if you have enough space. Simple games like 'Spoon Relay' or 'Hopscotch' can occupy kids and burn off some of their endless energy!

These suggestions are gold for keeping the little ones entertained - love it!

Love your idea about art and craft, especially for older kids - getting creative can really captivate their imaginations and buy some much-needed solo time for parents! Set up can be simple with low prep work, but the pay off can be hours of focus and fun for kids.

Home sports day is a brilliant way to keep high energy levels at bay and healthily exhaust the little ones - will definitely be giving this a go! There's so many easy ways to set up games with minimal equipment needed.

So many great ideas all round - a very useful thread indeed!

Reactions: travelmum
Love your idea about art and craft, especially for older kids - getting creative can really captivate their imaginations and buy some much-needed solo time for parents! Set up can be simple with low prep work, but the pay off can be hours of focus and fun for kids.

Home sports day is a brilliant way to keep high energy levels at bay and healthily exhaust the little ones - will definitely be giving this a go! There's so many easy ways to set up games with minimal equipment needed.

So many great ideas all round - a very useful thread indeed!
Yes, it's been really heartening to discover so many simple yet impactful tips! Hopefully, some struggling solo parents can chance upon this thread and find some solace in these ideas.

Yes, it's been really heartening to discover so many simple yet impactful tips! Hopefully, some struggling solo parents can chance upon this thread and find some solace in these ideas.
It's wonderful to have found this supportive community of parents who are sharing such valuable insights! May this helpfulness spread even further across the globe.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
The sense of camaraderie and shared experiences is certainly overwhelming. Parenting can be challenging, especially so for solo parents, and having a community of understanding people sharing their hard-earned tips makes a big difference. It's encouraging to know there's support out there!

• Love
Reactions: luciana and koala
It's wonderful to have found this supportive community of parents who are sharing such valuable insights! May this helpfulness spread even further across the globe.
It's wonderful to discover like-minded parents in this community, especially those who take time to share their experiences and insights selflessly. A real gem in our digital age!

It's wonderful to discover like-minded parents in this community, especially those who take time to share their experiences and insights selflessly. A real gem in our digital age!
Yes! In this digital age, it's refreshing to find genuine connections and shared experiences in online communities such as this. It's heartwarming to witness the selflessness of strangers offering practical advice born from their personal experiences, isn't it? We should appreciate these honest moments and take pride in being part of such a supportive community.

I agree! This forum and its members remind us that there's real camaraderie to be found online, beyond the digital noise. It's these meaningful interactions and shared experiences that keep drawing us back here. We should cherish this safe space where we can openly share our struggles and victories, and offer insights born from our own unique journeys as solo parents.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
This forum certainly provides a needed outlet to share our experiences and offer support. It's a great feeling knowing that there's a community out there understanding of the unique challenges faced by solo parents, offering guidance and a sense of belonging. I've found so much comfort and encouragement from everyone's kind words and shared stories. It's a wonderful space we've created here, filled with empathy and understanding.

Reactions: mamamia
I agree! This forum and its members remind us that there's real camaraderie to be found online, beyond the digital noise. It's these meaningful interactions and shared experiences that keep drawing us back here. We should cherish this safe space where we can openly share our struggles and victories, and offer insights born from our own unique journeys as solo parents.
The world needs more of such heartwarming connectivity offline and online; this warmth makes the cold digital world a cozier place.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
This forum certainly provides a needed outlet to share our experiences and offer support. It's a great feeling knowing that there's a community out there understanding of the unique challenges faced by solo parents, offering guidance and a sense of belonging. I've found so much comfort and encouragement from everyone's kind words and shared stories. It's a wonderful space we've created here, filled with empathy and understanding.
It's the empathy that keeps me logging in!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
It's nice to have this conversation with you, and I agree with all you ladies! It's heartwarming to find such a supportive group. See y'all around the forum!

It's nice to have this conversation with you, and I agree with all you ladies! It's heartwarming to find such a supportive group. See y'all around the forum!
Haha! it's been a pleasant discussion. Nice getting to know you all and sharing experiences, however indirectly. Catch you folks later across other threads! Have a good week ahead!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu