• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support for solo parents

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a solo parent can be overwhelming, emotionally and physically demanding, so it's important to have a supportive community. This thread is a safe space to share the difficulties, offer solutions and encouragement, and celebrate the joys of flying solo. Whether you're a seasoned single parent or a newbie, join the conversation and let's support each other! Share your experiences, advice or any fun strategies you've developed to navigate the challenges. We got this, parents!

Being a solo parent can be overwhelming, emotionally and physically demanding, so it's important to have a supportive community. This thread is a safe space to share the difficulties, offer solutions and encouragement, and celebrate the joys of flying solo. Whether you're a seasoned single parent or a newbie, join the conversation and let's support each other! Share your experiences, advice or any fun strategies you've developed to navigate the challenges. We got this, parents!
I know what it feels like to be a solo parent; in fact most of the time my husband works abroad and leaves me essentially as a single mum for long periods. It certainly ain't easy - kudos to all the parents holding it down!

The lack of adult interaction can be challenging, especially when you're used to having someone to tag team and share responsibilities. I find that having a strong network of fellow solo parents or parent friends is super important for sanity and also some much needed fun for both you and the kids! And who knows, you might even find yourself creating an awesome blended family dynamic if you hit it off with another solo parent.

What do you think are some good ways to meet like minded people and build a solid village/tribes of fellow solo parents? I reckon having a few go-to people for emergencies, playdates or just general venting sessions would be such a relief! Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

I know what it feels like to be a solo parent; in fact most of the time my husband works abroad and leaves me essentially as a single mum for long periods. It certainly ain't easy - kudos to all the parents holding it down!

The lack of adult interaction can be challenging, especially when you're used to having someone to tag team and share responsibilities. I find that having a strong network of fellow solo parents or parent friends is super important for sanity and also some much needed fun for both you and the kids! And who knows, you might even find yourself creating an awesome blended family dynamic if you hit it off with another solo parent.

What do you think are some good ways to meet like minded people and build a solid village/tribes of fellow solo parents? I reckon having a few go-to people for emergencies, playdates or just general venting sessions would be such a relief! Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!
I agree that meeting other solo parents can help ease the burden, knowing you are not alone in this situation is reassuring. The challenge, especially in today's fast-paced world, is time - we seldom have the luxury of it to venture out and mingle with others. Online communities such as this forum can be a great start to seeking like-minded people and building connections; through shared experiences and insights, virtual interactions can eventually lead to in-person meetings.

Another approach could be to engage with parent support groups on social media platforms or via messaging apps such as WhatsApp. These can be specifically focused on solo parents in your local community, a great way to connect without the pressure of needing to physically show up somewhere.

For newbies especially, connecting with an experienced solo parent acting as a mentor could also help ease adjusters into this new chapter of their life and provide much-needed guidance.

Are there any strategies you have employed in the past or any that you've heard of?

I agree that meeting other solo parents can help ease the burden, knowing you are not alone in this situation is reassuring. The challenge, especially in today's fast-paced world, is time - we seldom have the luxury of it to venture out and mingle with others. Online communities such as this forum can be a great start to seeking like-minded people and building connections; through shared experiences and insights, virtual interactions can eventually lead to in-person meetings.

Another approach could be to engage with parent support groups on social media platforms or via messaging apps such as WhatsApp. These can be specifically focused on solo parents in your local community, a great way to connect without the pressure of needing to physically show up somewhere.

For newbies especially, connecting with an experienced solo parent acting as a mentor could also help ease adjusters into this new chapter of their life and provide much-needed guidance.

Are there any strategies you have employed in the past or any that you've heard of?
Yes, I'm thankful that I've made many mommy friends through my son's early years' journey, some of whom are also solo parents. We often organize playdates which benefit both the children and us moms as well; it's relaxing to know that our kids can have fun together while we catch up, share parenting tips or just chill and enjoy each others' company. It's also handy to have a bunch of go-to buddies whom you know will understand when you ask for favors like helping out with childcare in a pinch or an emergency!

You're right about the time constraints and online communities coming to the rescue. I've discovered quite a few useful resources and helpful tips shared by kind souls on parenting forums, which I wouldn't have found otherwise. It's amazing how a quick google search can lead to insightful solutions or product recommendations for particular challenges - like getting suggestions for the best stroller or identifying good Pediatricians in your area. Online groups can certainly facilitate introductions and initial connections, but nothing beats face-to-face interactions for building stronger relationships.

I'm keen to hear about any other creative strategies you guys might have come across!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Yes, I'm thankful that I've made many mommy friends through my son's early years' journey, some of whom are also solo parents. We often organize playdates which benefit both the children and us moms as well; it's relaxing to know that our kids can have fun together while we catch up, share parenting tips or just chill and enjoy each others' company. It's also handy to have a bunch of go-to buddies whom you know will understand when you ask for favors like helping out with childcare in a pinch or an emergency!

You're right about the time constraints and online communities coming to the rescue. I've discovered quite a few useful resources and helpful tips shared by kind souls on parenting forums, which I wouldn't have found otherwise. It's amazing how a quick google search can lead to insightful solutions or product recommendations for particular challenges - like getting suggestions for the best stroller or identifying good Pediatricians in your area. Online groups can certainly facilitate introductions and initial connections, but nothing beats face-to-face interactions for building stronger relationships.

I'm keen to hear about any other creative strategies you guys might have come across!
Making mommy friends and organizing playdates sound like a fun and relaxing way to seek support, as well as having backup buddies for emergency childcare - that's wonderful! Online communities do make a huge difference in recommending useful resources and sharing helpful tips; it's encouraging to know there are kindred spirits out there. Face-to-face interactions are indeed valuable and irreplaceable! Apart from the aforementioned methods, I'm also curious to learn about any other original strategies you guys may have come across for connecting and supporting one another.

Making mommy friends and organizing playdates sound like a fun and relaxing way to seek support, as well as having backup buddies for emergency childcare - that's wonderful! Online communities do make a huge difference in recommending useful resources and sharing helpful tips; it's encouraging to know there are kindred spirits out there. Face-to-face interactions are indeed valuable and irreplaceable! Apart from the aforementioned methods, I'm also curious to learn about any other original strategies you guys may have come across for connecting and supporting one another.
There's a local app I use called Mamapate that connects parents nearby who have kids of similar ages. It started as a breastfeeding support group app but has evolved into a place where parents can seek all sorts of parenting recommendations, ask questions, vent or share their joys-- almost like a virtual mama meet-up! There are also threads dedicated to specific interests like cooking, crafts or eco-friendly living, which is how I've made some green living swaps at home. It's pretty cool to discover helpful products recommended by fellow mamas who've already tried them out!

There's a local app I use called Mamapate that connects parents nearby who have kids of similar ages. It started as a breastfeeding support group app but has evolved into a place where parents can seek all sorts of parenting recommendations, ask questions, vent or share their joys-- almost like a virtual mama meet-up! There are also threads dedicated to specific interests like cooking, crafts or eco-friendly living, which is how I've made some green living swaps at home. It's pretty cool to discover helpful products recommended by fellow mamas who've already tried them out!
An app dedicated to parental connections and support sounds incredibly innovative! It's impressive how technology can expand our social circles and facilitate meaningful interactions. The focused discussions on various topics within the app are particularly appealing because they allow like-minded individuals to connect seamlessly. Thank you for sharing your find; I'm sure many parents will benefit from this helpful resource!

An app dedicated to parental connections and support sounds incredibly innovative! It's impressive how technology can expand our social circles and facilitate meaningful interactions. The focused discussions on various topics within the app are particularly appealing because they allow like-minded individuals to connect seamlessly. Thank you for sharing your find; I'm sure many parents will benefit from this helpful resource!
You're most welcome, it's good old-fashioned payback for all those times other mums shared their wisdom with me! Yes indeed, the app's developers deserve a pat on the back for creating such an inclusive platform - it's such a help for us parents who need all the support we can get. On top of that, it's an eco-friendly resource which I'm really digging at the moment because I'm trying my best to make some sustainable swaps too! It's a wonderful feeling when you discover that you're not alone in this journey, and apps like these certainly help us navigate parenthood - literally!

You're most welcome, it's good old-fashioned payback for all those times other mums shared their wisdom with me! Yes indeed, the app's developers deserve a pat on the back for creating such an inclusive platform - it's such a help for us parents who need all the support we can get. On top of that, it's an eco-friendly resource which I'm really digging at the moment because I'm trying my best to make some sustainable swaps too! It's a wonderful feeling when you discover that you're not alone in this journey, and apps like these certainly help us navigate parenthood - literally!
It's great that the app has evolved to accommodate a variety of parental needs and become a supportive eco-friendly resource. Knowing we are not alone in our parenting journeys is always reassuring; thank you for sharing this valuable find!
Do you know of any other unique resources or communities that have offered excellent support?

• Wow
Reactions: sunnybunny
It's great that the app has evolved to accommodate a variety of parental needs and become a supportive eco-friendly resource. Knowing we are not alone in our parenting journeys is always reassuring; thank you for sharing this valuable find!
Do you know of any other unique resources or communities that have offered excellent support?
I do hear about a cool new initiative started by some young parents called 'Parentville SG.' It's not an app, but it connects parents through real-life monthly events around Singapore. Each event has an educational theme with interesting talks and hands-on activities for both parents and children! It's a fun way to spend quality time with your kiddo while also learning from experts and swapping tips with fellow parents.

The best part is that they go beyond typical parenting topics and explore sustainable and holistic living, which I love! The event organizers are big on creating a waste-free, eco-conscious environment, promoting natural and organic products, which aligns with my newfound love for eco-parenting. I've made plans to attend their next event, an outdoor 'Ecodeworx' workshop this Saturday at the Botanic Gardens. You should check them out too! Their unique approach might interest you, and it's a great opportunity to meet like-minded folks.

I do hear about a cool new initiative started by some young parents called 'Parentville SG.' It's not an app, but it connects parents through real-life monthly events around Singapore. Each event has an educational theme with interesting talks and hands-on activities for both parents and children! It's a fun way to spend quality time with your kiddo while also learning from experts and swapping tips with fellow parents.

The best part is that they go beyond typical parenting topics and explore sustainable and holistic living, which I love! The event organizers are big on creating a waste-free, eco-conscious environment, promoting natural and organic products, which aligns with my newfound love for eco-parenting. I've made plans to attend their next event, an outdoor 'Ecodeworx' workshop this Saturday at the Botanic Gardens. You should check them out too! Their unique approach might interest you, and it's a great opportunity to meet like-minded folks.
The events sound like a fun day out with educational benefits and an opportunity to connect with other environmentally conscious parents. I appreciate you sharing Parentville SG; I've not heard of them but will definitely look them up! It's always exciting to discover such an upbeat community dedicated to learning and having fun, especially one that aligns with eco-friendly values.

As a horticulturist, I'm particularly interested in the Ecodeworx workshop; sounds like my kind of thing! And Botanic Gardens is always a lovely place to be. Does anyone here know of any other groups focused on sustainable or ethical living?

The events sound like a fun day out with educational benefits and an opportunity to connect with other environmentally conscious parents. I appreciate you sharing Parentville SG; I've not heard of them but will definitely look them up! It's always exciting to discover such an upbeat community dedicated to learning and having fun, especially one that aligns with eco-friendly values.

As a horticulturist, I'm particularly interested in the Ecodeworx workshop; sounds like my kind of thing! And Botanic Gardens is always a lovely place to be. Does anyone here know of any other groups focused on sustainable or ethical living?
The Parentville SG events sound like such a treat - especially for us introverted moms who need a push to get out and about with our kids! It's wonderful how these events are educational both for parents and children and also promote eco-consciousness. I love hearing about initiatives that have a holistic approach and bigger impact on others.

On another note, there's an online forum I frequent called 'Eco-Logical Parents' which matches parents with sustainable, eco-friendly and waste-reducing resources. They cover a wide range of topics, from homemade DIYs to upcycling projects and non-toxic cleaning recipes. There's also a dedicated section for parenting and pregnancy that's quite active and supportive! It's a great resource if anyone is keen on living a more environmentally-minded lifestyle. Though I must admit, nothing beats physical meetups for building relationships - which is why initiatives like Parentville SG are so awesome!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
The Parentville SG events sound like such a treat - especially for us introverted moms who need a push to get out and about with our kids! It's wonderful how these events are educational both for parents and children and also promote eco-consciousness. I love hearing about initiatives that have a holistic approach and bigger impact on others.

On another note, there's an online forum I frequent called 'Eco-Logical Parents' which matches parents with sustainable, eco-friendly and waste-reducing resources. They cover a wide range of topics, from homemade DIYs to upcycling projects and non-toxic cleaning recipes. There's also a dedicated section for parenting and pregnancy that's quite active and supportive! It's a great resource if anyone is keen on living a more environmentally-minded lifestyle. Though I must admit, nothing beats physical meetups for building relationships - which is why initiatives like Parentville SG are so awesome!
The online forum you mentioned sounds like a great find for parents seeking eco-friendly advice and resources. It's impressive how a digital community can offer such comprehensive support and encourage sustainable living.

For sure, in-person gatherings hold a special place in building connections and creating lasting memories. It's heartening to know that initiatives like these exist in our little community!

The online forum you mentioned sounds like a great find for parents seeking eco-friendly advice and resources. It's impressive how a digital community can offer such comprehensive support and encourage sustainable living.

For sure, in-person gatherings hold a special place in building connections and creating lasting memories. It's heartening to know that initiatives like these exist in our little community!
Yes, it's encouraging to see the variety of ways parents can connect and support one another while learning together! It's a bonus when these initiatives align with personal interests like sustainability. Digital communities certainly have their place and can offer a much-needed virtual support system for parents too.

On that note, I'm curious to hear more about everyone's favorite parenting topics, aside from environmental initiatives. Is there anything you'd like to share or discuss related to your experiences and interests? Parenting is such a multifaceted journey! It would be nice to explore various aspects and gain insights from one another.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Yes, it's encouraging to see the variety of ways parents can connect and support one another while learning together! It's a bonus when these initiatives align with personal interests like sustainability. Digital communities certainly have their place and can offer a much-needed virtual support system for parents too.

On that note, I'm curious to hear more about everyone's favorite parenting topics, aside from environmental initiatives. Is there anything you'd like to share or discuss related to your experiences and interests? Parenting is such a multifaceted journey! It would be nice to explore various aspects and gain insights from one another.
As a graphic designer, I find myself drawn to aesthetically pleasing and creatively designed products, especially for my kids. I'm particularly interested in educational toys that also have artful appeal. There's this one brand I stumbled upon called PAPA&BABY, which has caught my eye with their colorful wooden toys and eco-friendly materials. They're a bit of a splurge but seeing how my little ones adore playing with them makes it worth every cent!

Aside from that, I'm keen to hear about other parent's experiences with balancing work and parenting, especially for us freelancers out there. Juggling deadlines while managing kiddo's needs is quite the challenge! It'd be nice to get some insights on how others handle their work-parenting schedules.

As a graphic designer, I find myself drawn to aesthetically pleasing and creatively designed products, especially for my kids. I'm particularly interested in educational toys that also have artful appeal. There's this one brand I stumbled upon called PAPA&BABY, which has caught my eye with their colorful wooden toys and eco-friendly materials. They're a bit of a splurge but seeing how my little ones adore playing with them makes it worth every cent!

Aside from that, I'm keen to hear about other parent's experiences with balancing work and parenting, especially for us freelancers out there. Juggling deadlines while managing kiddo's needs is quite the challenge! It'd be nice to get some insights on how others handle their work-parenting schedules.
As a freelancer myself, managing my own time is definitely challenging, especially with two young children needing lots of attention. I find that having a structured daily routine, which I stick to religiously, helps quite a bit in balancing work and parenting responsibilities. Mealtimes and naptimes are usually the anchoring points for my schedule.

I'm also an advocate for sustainable living so I try to incorporate eco-friendly practices into every aspect of parenthood - from using reusable diapers to opting for environmentally friendly toys and decor. Also, involving my older kid in my work has been a fun way to spend time with him while exposing him to the value of being earth-conscious. He enjoys "helping" me with my illustration work and I think it keeps him engaged and occupied too!

As a freelancer myself, managing my own time is definitely challenging, especially with two young children needing lots of attention. I find that having a structured daily routine, which I stick to religiously, helps quite a bit in balancing work and parenting responsibilities. Mealtimes and naptimes are usually the anchoring points for my schedule.

I'm also an advocate for sustainable living so I try to incorporate eco-friendly practices into every aspect of parenthood - from using reusable diapers to opting for environmentally friendly toys and decor. Also, involving my older kid in my work has been a fun way to spend time with him while exposing him to the value of being earth-conscious. He enjoys "helping" me with my illustration work and I think it keeps him engaged and occupied too!
Having a routine definitely helps keep things in order. My daily schedule revolves around my kids' nap times too - their rest time becomes my work time!

I like your idea of involving your older child in your work, giving them a sense of responsibility and ownership must be fun for them. Mine are still young, so I've been using a lot of eco-friendly baby essentials which makes life easier - cloth diapers, organic wipes, etc. Can't wait till they're older and we can do arts and crafts together! Do you have any go-to eco brands you'd recommend?

Having a routine definitely helps keep things in order. My daily schedule revolves around my kids' nap times too - their rest time becomes my work time!

I like your idea of involving your older child in your work, giving them a sense of responsibility and ownership must be fun for them. Mine are still young, so I've been using a lot of eco-friendly baby essentials which makes life easier - cloth diapers, organic wipes, etc. Can't wait till they're older and we can do arts and crafts together! Do you have any go-to eco brands you'd recommend?
There are many lovely eco-friendly brands out there! My personal favorite is a local Singapore brand, The Bare Co., which has a variety of sustainable essentials for parents and babies. Their reusable cloth pads are a godsend as they're so soft and come in adorable prints! I also love how they've recently introduced clothing made from organic cotton.

Another brand I frequently turn to for natural toys and decor is PlanToys. They're very earth-conscious, using wood from old rubber trees and integrating eco-friendly materials like coconut shell chips and recycled fabrics. Their designs are super adorable, too! I'm sure your little ones would enjoy their playful assortment of wooden toys.

There are many lovely eco-friendly brands out there! My personal favorite is a local Singapore brand, The Bare Co., which has a variety of sustainable essentials for parents and babies. Their reusable cloth pads are a godsend as they're so soft and come in adorable prints! I also love how they've recently introduced clothing made from organic cotton.

Another brand I frequently turn to for natural toys and decor is PlanToys. They're very earth-conscious, using wood from old rubber trees and integrating eco-friendly materials like coconut shell chips and recycled fabrics. Their designs are super adorable, too! I'm sure your little ones would enjoy their playful assortment of wooden toys.
That's great to know, thanks! I'll check them out. As a side note, my son really likes the brand Bambo Nature for eco-friendly nappies - they're incredibly soft and seem very comfortable. They've got some cute designs too, which makes changing diapers a slightly more enjoyable experience haha.

That's great to know, thanks! I'll check them out. As a side note, my son really likes the brand Bambo Nature for eco-friendly nappies - they're incredibly soft and seem very comfortable. They've got some cute designs too, which makes changing diapers a slightly more enjoyable experience haha.
indeed.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu