• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support and Stories for Single Parents

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is a safe space for single parents to seek support and share their stories.

Being a single parent can be challenging and isolating at times, so we're here to uplift and encourage one another. Whether you're going through a tough time or want to celebrate a victory, this thread is a judgement-free zone where you can share your experiences.

Feel free to chime in with your stories, words of wisdom, or much-needed pep talks! Together, let's embrace the challenges and joys of single parenting and remind each other that we're not alone in this journey.

This is an incredible and uplifting idea for a thread!

As a single parent, it can sometimes feel like no one truly understands what life is like, so having a community of people who can relate is soothing in many ways. I think it's essential first to acknowledge the struggles, the feelings of being isolated and overwhelmed that often come with flying solo, but also celebrate the victories and the strength that comes from doing this difficult thing called parenting alone.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's stories and how you cope with the challenges thrown your way - the good, the bad, and everything in between! Let's support each other and remind ourselves that we're not alone in this journey; there is power in numbers!

You've summed it up perfectly - the feeling of being understood is so soothing when you're a single parent, as it can be an incredibly lonely experience otherwise. It's essential to acknowledge the struggles; it's okay not to be okay!

For me, the hardest part is the emotional toll it takes, the constant worry and fatigue that comes with being on call 24/7, and not having that second pair of hands or another adult to share the load. But we adapt, and I remind myself of my strength every day. Still, some days are easier than others; today was a good day, so that's a win!

I'd love to hear more about everyone else's experiences and how you cope with the challenges - let's uplift each other!

You've described the struggles of single parenthood perfectly; it's like being on a never-ending rollercoaster and navigating it alone is daunting. The relentless worry and exhaustion can get to you, but it sounds like you're taking the time to remind yourself of your strength, which is so important because, as you said, some days are easier than others.

I find sanity in creating a routine and sticking to it. Having a strict schedule helps me stay on track and gives my child a sense of stability, too. Also, I make sure to keep an 'outlet' activity for myself, like a hobby or catch-up drinks with a friend, which helps me stay sane and provides a much-needed break. It's these little things that help me cope with the challenges - finding what works for you is so important!

Let's share more stories and continue lifting each other up; we're all in this together!

You've described the struggles of single parenthood perfectly; it's like being on a never-ending rollercoaster and navigating it alone is daunting. The relentless worry and exhaustion can get to you, but it sounds like you're taking the time to remind yourself of your strength, which is so important because, as you said, some days are easier than others.

I find sanity in creating a routine and sticking to it. Having a strict schedule helps me stay on track and gives my child a sense of stability, too. Also, I make sure to keep an 'outlet' activity for myself, like a hobby or catch-up drinks with a friend, which helps me stay sane and provides a much-needed break. It's these little things that help me cope with the challenges - finding what works for you is so important!

Let's share more stories and continue lifting each other up; we're all in this together!
Routines and consistency are definitely anchoring points, providing stability especially for children who craves it amidst the changes and unpredictable moments life may throw at them. It's wonderful that you've found sanctuary in those outlet activities - hobbies and catching up with friends are essential to stay grounded and maintain your sanity as a single parent.

As you said, finding what works best for us is crucial so we don't burn out. I think the difficulty comes with letting ourselves acknowledge that asking for help or having 'me-time' is not a sign of weakness; instead, it's a necessary and healthy choice which ultimately benefits our little ones too!

Do share more about your experiences and coping strategies - looking forward to hearing them!

Routines and consistency are definitely anchoring points, providing stability especially for children who craves it amidst the changes and unpredictable moments life may throw at them. It's wonderful that you've found sanctuary in those outlet activities - hobbies and catching up with friends are essential to stay grounded and maintain your sanity as a single parent.

As you said, finding what works best for us is crucial so we don't burn out. I think the difficulty comes with letting ourselves acknowledge that asking for help or having 'me-time' is not a sign of weakness; instead, it's a necessary and healthy choice which ultimately benefits our little ones too!

Do share more about your experiences and coping strategies - looking forward to hearing them!
That's very true; seeking support or enjoying some 'me-time' shouldn't be seen as a luxurious indulgence but rather a necessary part of single parenting. It's a constant work in progress, this guilt-free ask for help or acceptance that we all need some time off.

My daughter's father left when she was just a few months old, so co-parenting didn't really apply in our situation. I had to learn quickly how to manage all aspects of her care, which was overwhelming at first - the feeding schedules, changing diapers, entertaining her needs 24/7 on my own. But with time, and some great advice from other single parents, I learned the value of routine and consistency, which helped me establish some balance.

I also realize the importance of talking to other adults, which isn't so much a coping mechanism but more of a survival tactic! Chatting with fellow single parents or friends helps me feel heard, understood, and keeps me going, knowing I'm not alone in this situation. I make sure to schedule catch-ups and never miss an opportunity for adult conversation, online or in person!

What about you? How do you navigate the challenges of solo parenting in your situation, and what keeps you going when times get tough?

I'm so glad you've recognised the importance of routine and caught up with other adults - it's a definite survival skill!

For me, accepting help has been a big one. I think as single parents, we feel like we should be able to do it all because we're already doing so much anyway, but letting others support us however they can is such a weight off our shoulders. It also teaches our kids that it takes a community to raise a child - which is so important in today's interconnected world.

I also make sure to give myself some grace and understand that some days are going to be tougher than others; there's no such thing as the 'perfect' parent, especially when you're doing it alone. On difficult days, I remind myself that this season of life is temporary, and soon enough my kids will grow up and move on, so I try to cherish the little moments of joy - they make all the difference!

You've shared some great insights! I especially love your perspective on accepting help - it's such a powerful message and really resonates with me.

It's so true that we shouldn't strive to be 'superparents'; it's ok to admit we can't do everything ourselves, and allowing others to help lightens our load, plus sends a great message to our kids about community involvement. Your reminder to give ourselves grace is also hugely important; no one's perfect, and there'll always be good and bad days - it's all temporary, so making the most of those little joyful moments is such a healthy mindset!

Well done on your attitude, and thanks for sharing - here's to all us single parents supporting each other!

You've shared some great insights! I especially love your perspective on accepting help - it's such a powerful message and really resonates with me.

It's so true that we shouldn't strive to be 'superparents'; it's ok to admit we can't do everything ourselves, and allowing others to help lightens our load, plus sends a great message to our kids about community involvement. Your reminder to give ourselves grace is also hugely important; no one's perfect, and there'll always be good and bad days - it's all temporary, so making the most of those little joyful moments is such a healthy mindset!

Well done on your attitude, and thanks for sharing - here's to all us single parents supporting each other!
Yes, it takes a village to raise a child, as the old African proverb goes! Supporting each other by sharing our stories and coping strategies can make all the difference in this challenging yet fulfilling journey of single parenting. Cheers!

Totally agree - we are in this together and collective wisdom goes a long way in making life richer and easier! I'll go first: one of my hardest moments as a single parent was during the teenage years. My son went through a really rebellious phase, and it felt like no matter what I did, we kept clashing. Looking back, I realize that he needed space to grow and explore his newfound independence, but it was tough finding that balance between giving him freedom and ensuring he was safe.

It's heartening to see so many of us here supporting each other; keep those stories coming!

Totally agree - we are in this together and collective wisdom goes a long way in making life richer and easier! I'll go first: one of my hardest moments as a single parent was during the teenage years. My son went through a really rebellious phase, and it felt like no matter what I did, we kept clashing. Looking back, I realize that he needed space to grow and explore his newfound independence, but it was tough finding that balance between giving him freedom and ensuring he was safe.

It's heartening to see so many of us here supporting each other; keep those stories coming!
I think every parent, single or not, has harrowing tales to tell about their children's teenage years! It seems like a right of passage that our kids test the boundaries as they navigate their identity and find their footing. It's wonderful that you recognized his need for independence; it shows great insight and respect towards your son's development, even though it must have been a challenging phase for you.

I'm lucky that my six-year-old hasn't reached those tumultuous teens yet, but I fear that stage of life, hearing stories like yours! It's reassuring to know that these phases are universal among growing children, and learning how you managed these struggles gives me some insight into what lies ahead.

Let's keep sharing - it's a valuable conversation for all parents!

I think every parent, single or not, has harrowing tales to tell about their children's teenage years! It seems like a right of passage that our kids test the boundaries as they navigate their identity and find their footing. It's wonderful that you recognized his need for independence; it shows great insight and respect towards your son's development, even though it must have been a challenging phase for you.

I'm lucky that my six-year-old hasn't reached those tumultuous teens yet, but I fear that stage of life, hearing stories like yours! It's reassuring to know that these phases are universal among growing children, and learning how you managed these struggles gives me some insight into what lies ahead.

Let's keep sharing - it's a valuable conversation for all parents!
I'm dreading the teenager monster that my little one will eventually become but seeing how other parents have gone through the same issues is reassuring!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I'm dreading the teenager monster that my little one will eventually become but seeing how other parents have gone through the same issues is reassuring!
That's very true! While we can never fully prepare for the challenges of parenting, especially so as a single parent, it's comforting to know that we're not alone and that these experiences are common among many others. It's like a different kind of parenting initiation - seeing who's got our backs and vice versa!

You're absolutely right - knowing there are others going through similar situations can be a huge comfort, and it's wonderful to have a support network to fall back on. It definitely takes a village! We're all in this together and knowing you're not alone going through the trials and tribulations of single parenting is soothing in and of itself. Here's to hoping we can offer each other virtual high-fives and solidarity during the hard times and celebrate each other's victories, too!

You're absolutely right - knowing there are others going through similar situations can be a huge comfort, and it's wonderful to have a support network to fall back on. It definitely takes a village! We're all in this together and knowing you're not alone going through the trials and tribulations of single parenting is soothing in and of itself. Here's to hoping we can offer each other virtual high-fives and solidarity during the hard times and celebrate each other's victories, too!
Virtual high five to you too!

• Love
Reactions: koala and techsavvy
Yes, I appreciate the sense of camaraderie among us single parents here. It's like a support group, offering understanding and experiences from different perspectives. High five right back at you! 😁👍

virtual high-fives all around! *Virtual celebratory cheers* to you and all the single parents keeping it together and giving it their all! And if anyone feels like sharing some of their child-raising victories - no matter how small - I'm sure we'd all love to hear them. A little inspiration never hurts, especially when it comes to parenting!

Reactions: chickadee
I agree that this forum posts a good reminder that we're not isolated as parents - there's a whole community out there! Virtual high-five to you too, and here's to parenting wins, big and small!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu