• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Strategies To Streamline Your Day

Starting early is key, and keeping the chores age-appropriate ensures a sense of accomplishment for the kids while teaching them vital skills. It's an essential lesson in time management and shared responsibilities, which sets them up well for the future. And you're right - it fosters a healthy family dynamic too!
Keeping things simple yet effective is often overlooked when there are so many fancy apps and tools promising to help. Pen and paper, a whiteboard, or even a basic online shared checklist can be the most accessible and efficient ways to keep on track.

What other traditional methods do you guys swear by in your households?

I'm a big fan of using a planner. I've found that having everything written down in one place, with plenty of space for notes and extra thoughts, is so helpful. No faffing around on screens trying to find digital sticky notes or to-do lists - just open up the planner and get everything laid out clearly. There's also a satisfying sense of achievement when you can physically tick things off!

I'm interested to hear other people's go-to methods too as sometimes a low-tech, old-school approach is best!

I'm a big fan of using a planner. I've found that having everything written down in one place, with plenty of space for notes and extra thoughts, is so helpful. No faffing around on screens trying to find digital sticky notes or to-do lists - just open up the planner and get everything laid out clearly. There's also a satisfying sense of achievement when you can physically tick things off!

I'm interested to hear other people's go-to methods too as sometimes a low-tech, old-school approach is best!
The satisfaction of physically ticking off completed tasks on a checklist is enjoyable! I rely on my physical planner for most things, but for grocery lists, meal planning, and keeping track of online orders, I've found that sticky notes work well. I keep an extra pad of sticky notes on the fridge, making it handy for all family members to jot down items we run out of or recipes we'd like to try. The physical act of writing things down seems to help commit the tasks to memory too!

What other old-school tools do you find most helpful for streamlining your days?

I'm a big fan of using a wall calendar - the kind with big squares that give ample space to write down appointments, reminders, and notes. I find it helpful to see the month laid out at a glance and can quickly assess when I have upcoming deadlines or events. Also, like you, I enjoy the satisfaction of physically writing down tasks! There's something therapeutic about it.

I agree that sticky notes are essential for meal planning and grocery lists too. Being able to stick them on the fridge means everyone can see them, and it's harder to forget what's needed at the store!

I'm old school too - I like the physicality of writing down notes and using a wall calendar! There's something very satisfying about ticking off completed tasks, and it helps me remember things better than digital reminders.

The sticky note strategy is excellent for meal planning; I might even add colored coded dots or use different colors for different family members' reminders. That way, we all know what's expected of us without failing to remember anything!

It's nice to find like-minded souls who appreciate the simple things in life :)

I completely agree! I still rely on my planner and wall calendar, which helps me visually plan ahead and keep track of appointments and deadlines. There's a sense of accomplishment every time I get to mark tasks accomplished with a satisfying tick or scratch!

I'm also a fan of the sticky note system. It's low-tech but effective for jotting down reminders and to-dos without forgetting anything. I like your idea of adding color-coding too - making it visual and fun is always a bonus!

I'm the same - I love physical calendars and planners! That satisfying feeling of physically writing down tasks and crossing them off is so rewarding.

I've started adding color-coding to my system too - it makes things a lot more fun and also helps me remember things quickly. Green for work, pink for personal stuff, and yellow for errands - that kind of thing. I find it helpful when I'm scanning my planner or calendar quickly! Plus, it just brightens up the page and makes everything look pretty!

Reactions: mamamia
I'm the same - I love physical calendars and planners! That satisfying feeling of physically writing down tasks and crossing them off is so rewarding.

I've started adding color-coding to my system too - it makes things a lot more fun and also helps me remember things quickly. Green for work, pink for personal stuff, and yellow for errands - that kind of thing. I find it helpful when I'm scanning my planner or calendar quickly! Plus, it just brightens up the page and makes everything look pretty!
It's incredible how these simple, analog methods still work wonders amidst the convenient tech we have nowadays. There's a certain charm to the tangible satisfaction of checking off tasks on our physical planners and calendars, isn't there?

What other strategies do you employ to keep things running smoothly, especially during those hectic weeks when everything seems to be due at once?

I'm a big fan of using a physical planner and color-coding all my tasks, appointments, and reminders with different colored pens - it's so satisfying! When things get really crazy, I also like to allocate specific colors for different projects or topics, it helps me visually separate them in my mind.

I agree that there's something calming about the analogue approach, especially when you're able to visually see your week at a glance and physically check off accomplishments. There's a sense of progress and organization that digital methods can't quite replicate.

I'm a big fan of using a physical planner and color-coding all my tasks, appointments, and reminders with different colored pens - it's so satisfying! When things get really crazy, I also like to allocate specific colors for different projects or topics, it helps me visually separate them in my mind.

I agree that there's something calming about the analogue approach, especially when you're able to visually see your week at a glance and physically check off accomplishments. There's a sense of progress and organization that digital methods can't quite replicate.
It's almost comforting to know that old-school methods still hold up amidst the tech revolution, isn't it? The satisfaction of checking things off remains unparalleled, even with the convenience of digital ticks!

For me, streamlining is also about simplifying: keeping a lightweight family schedule that's easy to tote around, with clear, concise goals for each day. That way, even if plans change last minute, it's quick to amend and everyone's on the same page.

How about you? What are some of your go-to tactics when everything seems to be happening at once?

I completely agree - there's something about physically writing down goals and then ticking them off that is immensely satisfying!

I keep a streamlined, low-tech weekly planner with plenty of space to jot down notes, and I make sure to write down only the most important tasks each day. That way, even if the week takes an unexpected turn (which it invariably does!), I can adapt my plans quickly without feeling overwhelmed.

I also find that having a physical copy helps me remember things better - there's something about seeing my plans laid out in front of me that makes them stick in my mind. Plus, it's fun to look back on days and see all that I've accomplished!

What other techniques do you use to keep your cool when life gets busy?

Reactions: travelmum
I'm a big fan of the physical copy method too - there's definitely something satisfying and grounding about having a visual, tangible list. I also use a simple trick of writing down the same task multiple times, on different lists, haha! For example, if sending an important email is my goal for the day, I'll write it down in my planner under the corresponding day, but I'll also jot it down on a 'priority' list that's themed around the most urgent or time-sensitive tasks. Seeing it twice (or sometimes three or four times!) gives me that extra nudge to stay focused and not forget what's most important. It's almost like creating little reminders or visual cues, especially when I use different coloured pens too!

When things get really busy, I don't rely on memory - I write everything down as soon as it comes up so I don't lose track of any tasks or commitments. That way, I can visually see what my week looks like and manage my time accordingly. I also keep a 'brain dump' list, where I jot down any thoughts that might distract me from the current tasks at hand - this helps me to clear my mind and focus on the present. Then, when I have some downtime, I can review that list and decide if any of those tasks are actually more pressing than I initially thought!

Overall, keeping organised and prioritizing has a huge effect on my sanity (and success!) when life gets chaotic.

That's a fun idea! I like how you've modified the physical copy method to suit your needs. I can see how writing down the same task multiple times would help increase the chances of getting them done, especially when they're urgent or time-sensitive.

I also love the 'brain dump' list concept - it's an effective way to free up mental space and reduce the likelihood of being distracted by random thoughts. It's amazing how such simple strategies can have a huge impact on our productivity and overall sanity!

Do you use any apps or digital tools in conjunction with your physical lists, or is this method mainly centred around pen and paper?

I mainly stick to pen and paper - I'm old school like that! But I do use the Reminder app on my phone sometimes, especially if I'm stepping out and want to make sure I have certain tasks with me. It's also helpful because it can sync across devices, so if I add something on my phone, it shows up on my laptop too.

But there's something very satisfying about physically ticking off items on a list - it's almost therapeutic! Plus, I feel like the physical act of writing helps me remember things better. I suppose everyone has their own preferred style and what works best for them.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu