• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Strategies To Save

I'm not one to splurge on unnecessary purchases, which definitely helps with saving. My sneaky strategy involves maintaining multiple saving accounts, each linked to a different type of purchase or goal. For example, one might be linked to a particular hobby I have, while another is for travel planning. This way, when I get the urge to spend on something unnecessary, I can instead transfer that amount into one of these accounts - out of sight and reserved for a future treat. That little trick helps me keep my impulses in check and saves me from buyer's remorse!
That's a clever idea to have separate savings accounts for different goals. Visually seeing the progress is motivating and also makes you stop and think before making an impulsive purchase. It's an honest and sensible approach to saving. Well done!

I'm a firm believer in saving old-school style - the penny jar method coupled with the 3-month rule. Any notes or coins found around the house go straight into my 'rainy day' jar, which is completely out of bounds and hidden from plain sight. I've also designated an exclusive savings account for travel funds only - and I treat it as a no-go zone unless it's for buying flights or paying for accommodation. It's amazing how quickly those everyday spare changes add up, and you'd be surprised how little you miss them!

It's also helpful to cancel unnecessary subscriptions and stream services - that monthly savings can go straight back into your pocket. And of course, eating at home instead of dining out saves a decent amount too. While it's tempting to splurge on the convenience and experience, cooking at home is usually a more sustainable (and healthier) option, which also helps justify any gourmet grocery purchases.
it pays off to be mindful of your spending, especially with impulse buys. Saving comes alive with creativity!

I'm a firm believer in saving old-school style - the penny jar method coupled with the 3-month rule. Any notes or coins found around the house go straight into my 'rainy day' jar, which is completely out of bounds and hidden from plain sight. I've also designated an exclusive savings account for travel funds only - and I treat it as a no-go zone unless it's for buying flights or paying for accommodation. It's amazing how quickly those everyday spare changes add up, and you'd be surprised how little you miss them!

It's also helpful to cancel unnecessary subscriptions and stream services - that monthly savings can go straight back into your pocket. And of course, eating at home instead of dining out saves a decent amount too. While it's tempting to splurge on the convenience and experience, cooking at home is usually a more sustainable (and healthier) option, which also helps justify any gourmet grocery purchases.
It's impressive how many creative strategies people use to save money! It's a great discussion with lots of takeaways to try. Does anyone else have any sneaky tips they'd like to share? 🙂

it pays off to be mindful of your spending, especially with impulse buys. Saving comes alive with creativity!
You're right; it does pay to be conscious of our spending habits, especially in the heat of the moment! It's amazing how creativity can help us save so much more than we may have thought possible.

It's impressive how many creative strategies people use to save money! It's a great discussion with lots of takeaways to try. Does anyone else have any sneaky tips they'd like to share? 🙂
I second that - it's been an insightful thread

I haven't tried this myself, but I hear good things about 'saving challenges' which supposedly help you put away a reasonable sum without even realizing it. Some people also recommend the '5 minute rule': if you want to buy something non-essential, hold off on purchasing and give yourself 5 minutes to consider if you really need it. Apparently, the urge to splurge passes quickly!

I haven't tried this myself, but I hear good things about 'saving challenges' which supposedly help you put away a reasonable sum without even realizing it. Some people also recommend the '5 minute rule': if you want to buy something non-essential, hold off on purchasing and give yourself 5 minutes to consider if you really need it. Apparently, the urge to splurge passes quickly!
Makes two of us then! Haha. The 5-minute rule sounds interesting; a short but effective cooling-off period, so to speak. It's a simple yet smart strategy to curb impulse buying.

That's interesting. The savings challenge sounds fun, almost gamified, and might make a fun activity. I'm not sure I'd have the willpower for the 5-minute rule though! That's quite the temptation window!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and koala
Makes two of us then! Haha. The 5-minute rule sounds interesting; a short but effective cooling-off period, so to speak. It's a simple yet smart strategy to curb impulse buying.
It's amazing how many creative ways there are to save money; one just needs to find what works best for them.

Reactions: cissy
That's interesting. The savings challenge sounds fun, almost gamified, and might make a fun activity. I'm not sure I'd have the willpower for the 5-minute rule though! That's quite the temptation window!
The savings challenge is an intriguing concept, adding an element of fun to the usually mundane chore of saving. You could set different challenges too, like increasing the savings amount each month or having a themed goal e.g., a 'rainy day fund' challenge.

As for the 5-minute rule, it's worth a try, especially for the impulse buyer! You could always experiment with different strategies and see what works best.

It's amazing how many creative ways there are to save money; one just needs to find what works best for them.
it's all about finding what suits our individual lifestyles and habits. Everyone's savings strategies are so different! But it's great to gather ideas and inspiration from each other. It's a fantastic learning curve.

Reactions: cissy
So true! I think one of the biggest challenges is accepting that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and being open to tailoring your strategy as you go - especially discovering what motivates you personally. It's also a bit of a mental shift realising that 'saving' doesn't have to be this big, scary thing that compromises your lifestyle significantly (if at all) - little changes can make a big difference over time!

So true! I think one of the biggest challenges is accepting that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and being open to tailoring your strategy as you go - especially discovering what motivates you personally. It's also a bit of a mental shift realising that 'saving' doesn't have to be this big, scary thing that compromises your lifestyle significantly (if at all) - little changes can make a big difference over time!
You've got that right! Recognising effective strategies is half the battle won. The other half is implementing them consistently which is no mean feat either! But yeah, it's encouraging to know that each of us has our own tactics to save, and they all vary so creativity-wise!

You've got that right! Recognising effective strategies is half the battle won. The other half is implementing them consistently which is no mean feat either! But yeah, it's encouraging to know that each of us has our own tactics to save, and they all vary so creativity-wise!
forming frugal habits doesn't happen overnight, and it definitely requires dedication! It's an ongoing journey filled with trials and errors, but the payoff is worth the effort.

The little wins along the way keep the momentum going! Keep at it, ladies, every dollar saved is a dollar earned!
every savings strategy, no matter how small, contributes to our financial freedom! Well said!

Reactions: eternity
The little wins along the way keep the momentum going! Keep at it, ladies, every dollar saved is a dollar earned!
That's very true; every successful attempt at saving feels like found money It's a nice encouragement to keep going.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
You're right; every dollar counts, and before we know it, they add up to quite a sum! It's these little victories that encourage us to stay the course, or adjust our strategies when needed. Here's to many more savings success stories!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and eternity
Absolutely - seeing that savings account grow is such a satisfying feeling and keeps me on track too! Breaking it down into smaller, achievable wins helps me stay focused and positive about my financial goals. Congrats on your progress and keep saving!

Absolutely - seeing that savings account grow is such a satisfying feeling and keeps me on track too! Breaking it down into smaller, achievable wins helps me stay focused and positive about my financial goals. Congrats on your progress and keep saving!
Seeing the numbers go up is encouraging, but the joy may be temporary if we don't also treat ourselves occasionally. Depriving ourselves of all enjoyment in the name of saving can backfire, so finding that balance is key! Here's to save-worthy splurges that keep us sane and motivated!

Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu