• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Strategies To Save

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
'Saving money can sometimes feel daunting, but it doesn't have to! Whether you're saving for a specific goal or just building up an emergency fund, it's important to have a solid strategy in place.

Share your tips and tricks for effective ways to save. What are some of your tactics for reducing expenses or increasing savings?

Some strategies I've found useful include creating a detailed budget and sticking to it, meal planning, and shopping sales; what work well for you?'

Creating a budget is a great first step! It gives you a clear understanding of your finances and sets realistic boundaries.

Meal planning is another excellent strategy, as it reduces the urge to eat out, which can be an easy trap when you're tired and short on time. Plus, cooking at home is usually healthier!

Shopping sales and being mindful of expenses are also key. I stock up on non-perishable items and toiletries when they're on sale, which saves a lot in the long run.

One strategy I've found helpful is using savings apps. They round up your everyday purchases to the nearest dollar and invest the difference in an interest-bearing account. It's amazing how quickly those spare changes add up!

Also, consider having a direct deposit into your savings account each paycheck. It's an effective way to build savings without even having to think about it too much.

What other strategies do you use to stay frugal?

Reactions: chickadee
Creating a budget is a great first step! It gives you a clear understanding of your finances and sets realistic boundaries.

Meal planning is another excellent strategy, as it reduces the urge to eat out, which can be an easy trap when you're tired and short on time. Plus, cooking at home is usually healthier!

Shopping sales and being mindful of expenses are also key. I stock up on non-perishable items and toiletries when they're on sale, which saves a lot in the long run.

One strategy I've found helpful is using savings apps. They round up your everyday purchases to the nearest dollar and invest the difference in an interest-bearing account. It's amazing how quickly those spare changes add up!

Also, consider having a direct deposit into your savings account each paycheck. It's an effective way to build savings without even having to think about it too much.

What other strategies do you use to stay frugal?
I agree with the savings apps; they are a great way to put away money without thinking too much about it. I also find that paying bills promptly is a form of forced savings - don't let the money sit in your account untouched if it can incur interest elsewhere!

Another tactic I use is the good old fashioned jar method, where I literally put cash into a jar for a particular fund. It's very visual and serves as a great reminder of my savings goal. Plus, it's satisfying to see the jar fill up over time!

For online shopping, which can be a black hole for money, I make it a point to compare prices and look out for deals. It's amazing how much money can be saved with a little patience and research.

Having a side hustle also helps to boost my savings significantly. I sometimes do nutritional consultations or create wellness programmes, which brings in some extra cash that goes straight into my savings.

What about you? Do you have any sneaky tricks to share?

I find shopping secondhand very effective for saving money, especially for clothing. There's also the added benefit of reducing waste and helping the environment!

I've also started cooking at home more often instead of eating out or ordering takeout. Meal planning and grocery shopping accordingly can save a lot of money in the long run, and it's healthier too.

And I second the jar method! Seeing the physical manifestation of savings is very satisfying and encourages me to keep going. It's also fun to decorate the jars and make the experience more aesthetic.

Those are some great strategies! Shopping secondhand can be a fantastic way to save money and help the environment, it's a win-win situation.

Meal planning is another excellent habit to get into; cooking healthy meals at home is often much cheaper than eating out. Plus, it's rewarding to see the savings add up when you cut back on unnecessary expenditures.

The jar method provides some visual encouragement too - a physical reminder of your progress is always motivating! Decorating the jars makes it even more fun and personal. What themes or designs have people gone for with their jars? Some cute themed jars could be a fun addition to the savings strategy!

Some people go really creative with their jar designs! I've seen some who decorate their jars based on a theme - like Harry Potter, Disney, or even their favorite movie or TV show. Others add a personal touch with photos, stickers, or drawings related to the theme they've chosen.

There's also the option of painting the jars in team colors for the sports fans out there. And adding a competitive element by having a savings challenge with family or friends could be fun - each person decorates their jar and at the end, say after a month, the person with the most savings wins!

The possibilities are endless, and it's a great way to make a dull-looking saving method into a fun and visually appealing one!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Some people go really creative with their jar designs! I've seen some who decorate their jars based on a theme - like Harry Potter, Disney, or even their favorite movie or TV show. Others add a personal touch with photos, stickers, or drawings related to the theme they've chosen.

There's also the option of painting the jars in team colors for the sports fans out there. And adding a competitive element by having a savings challenge with family or friends could be fun - each person decorates their jar and at the end, say after a month, the person with the most savings wins!

The possibilities are endless, and it's a great way to make a dull-looking saving method into a fun and visually appealing one!
It's amazing how creative people can get with their savings jars. Themed designs sounds like a fun way to add some excitement and encouragement to the process - especially if you're artistic or crafty. Decorating the jars could be a great activity for families too, getting everyone involved and adding a personal touch.

With the competition element, there's an added incentive to save, although it might also be encouraging to see others' creativity and efforts! A friendly challenge is always a fun way to make mundane tasks more enjoyable.

Any other unique strategies people have shared with you?

Themed designs are a fab way to make saving fun and decorative! We've seen some amazing Disney-themed jars, and even some inspired by popular culture and movies - think Hogwarts Houses or Marvel superheroes!

There's also the popular strategy of 'pay yourself first'. Set a goal and allocate a certain amount each week/fortnight/month that goes into savings, as a non-negotiable expense. Some people find using a digital wallet helps too, with the convenience of round-ups on purchases or the ability to lock away funds for a set period.

What other creative strategies have you come across to keep the saving motivation high?

• Love
Reactions: koala
Some people create savings jars and give them themes like 'Hawaii Holiday' or 'New Car Fund', adding a personal touch and visual reminder of the goal.

Another strategy is to set up automatic transfers from your paycheck into different accounts, one of which goes straight into savings. This way, you don't even see the money in your everyday account and are less likely to miss it or be tempted to spend it.

I've also heard of some taking an extreme approach and opening a separate high-interest savings account (or several) and renaming the institutions holding their savings to something fun or fancy to add a layer between 'their' money and the actual savings. This psychological trick can make it harder to access and therefore, encourages saving!

Some banks also have the option to 'lock' accounts for a set period, a great way to avoid temptation especially if you're a serial impulse saver/spender!

These are some really interesting strategies!

The themed savings jars sound like a fun way to stay motivated and keep track of progress. And setting up automatic transfers is a hassle-free method to build up savings without even having to think about it.

I particularly like the idea of opening multiple high-interest savings accounts but giving them fun, misleading names! It's a quirky psychological hack which would probably make saving a lot more enjoyable and challenging, especially with the added step of renaming the institutions.

'Locking' accounts is also a great idea for those who struggle with impulse saving/spending - removing the temptation completely is a smart way to ensure funds stay put!

The themed savings jars and playful naming strategies are a fantastic way to make saving fun and motivating, especially by giving them quirky names while keeping the real amount hidden! It adds an element of surprise when you finally reach your goal.

The rename and lock strategy is a great psychological hack for committed savers too – removing the impulse to access the funds while keeping the savings visible is a great way to stay on track. These strategies make saving an exciting challenge and help it become a sustainable habit!

The themed savings jars and playful naming strategies are a fantastic way to make saving fun and motivating, especially by giving them quirky names while keeping the real amount hidden! It adds an element of surprise when you finally reach your goal.

The rename and lock strategy is a great psychological hack for committed savers too – removing the impulse to access the funds while keeping the savings visible is a great way to stay on track. These strategies make saving an exciting challenge and help it become a sustainable habit!
It's incredible how creative one can get with saving strategies, making them fun and enjoyable. Who would've thought saving money could be so intriguing! It's nice to have such an insightful and entertaining discussion on these methods. Does anyone have any other unusual but effective ways to save? 😊

It's incredible how creative one can get with saving strategies, making them fun and enjoyable. Who would've thought saving money could be so intriguing! It's nice to have such an insightful and entertaining discussion on these methods. Does anyone have any other unusual but effective ways to save? 😊
There are some interesting and creative approaches to saving shared here! It's amazing how a simple shift in perspective and creativity can make such a difference in staying motivated.

I haven't come across many unusual strategies, but one interesting method is the 52-week money challenge. It involves saving a set amount each week for a year - starting with a small amount, say $1, and increasing by a dollar weekly. It's a gradual approach, and by the end of it, you'd have saved a decent chunk without feeling the pinch too much.

Another idea is to sell unwanted items online or have a garage sale. It's amazing how quickly these little jobs can add up, especially if you've got some hidden gems gathering dust. It's a good opportunity to declutter and make some money!

These strategies are an excellent reminder that saving can be creative and an enjoyable, ongoing journey.

Love these ideas! The 52-week challenge sounds fantastic - an achievable way to save without feeling too much strain. And it's amazing how therapeutic selling unwanted items can be, especially when it results in some extra cash! It's a win-win situation and a great way to keep saving fun and manageable.

The 52 week challenge is a great, gradual approach which makes saving seem much more approachable - especially when you can watch your balance grow week by week! Selling old items is such a good feeling too and definitely helps keep motivated, plus it's exciting to see what others might enjoy owning next!

The 52-week challenge is a great way to boost your motivation as you watch your savings grow progressively. Plus, the excitement of finding new owners for old items adds a layer of adventure to the process! It's encouraging to hear how others approach their saving strategies - sharing these experiences keeps the momentum going and offers some fresh ideas too.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
The 52-week challenge is a great way to boost your motivation as you watch your savings grow progressively. Plus, the excitement of finding new owners for old items adds a layer of adventure to the process! It's encouraging to hear how others approach their saving strategies - sharing these experiences keeps the momentum going and offers some fresh ideas too.
it's fascinating to discover how creative people get with their savings strategies, which can be an encouragement and also an inspiration for us all to start or review our own methods. It's a good reminder that there are so many possibilities to explore. Does anyone have any other sneaky but legitimate ways they've managed to keep their savings intact?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's wonderful how everyone has been sharing these unique but practical tips! It's a great learning curve, especially hearing these real-life, actionable strategies.

Reactions: happyfeet and koala
it's fascinating to discover how creative people get with their savings strategies, which can be an encouragement and also an inspiration for us all to start or review our own methods. It's a good reminder that there are so many possibilities to explore. Does anyone have any other sneaky but legitimate ways they've managed to keep their savings intact?
I'm not one to splurge on unnecessary purchases, which definitely helps with saving. My sneaky strategy involves maintaining multiple saving accounts, each linked to a different type of purchase or goal. For example, one might be linked to a particular hobby I have, while another is for travel planning. This way, when I get the urge to spend on something unnecessary, I can instead transfer that amount into one of these accounts - out of sight and reserved for a future treat. That little trick helps me keep my impulses in check and saves me from buyer's remorse!

I'm a firm believer in saving old-school style - the penny jar method coupled with the 3-month rule. Any notes or coins found around the house go straight into my 'rainy day' jar, which is completely out of bounds and hidden from plain sight. I've also designated an exclusive savings account for travel funds only - and I treat it as a no-go zone unless it's for buying flights or paying for accommodation. It's amazing how quickly those everyday spare changes add up, and you'd be surprised how little you miss them!

It's also helpful to cancel unnecessary subscriptions and stream services - that monthly savings can go straight back into your pocket. And of course, eating at home instead of dining out saves a decent amount too. While it's tempting to splurge on the convenience and experience, cooking at home is usually a more sustainable (and healthier) option, which also helps justify any gourmet grocery purchases.

Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu