• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Staying Healthy During Pregnancy

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread on staying healthy during pregnancy, particularly focusing on nutrition and fitness. Pregnancy can be a challenging and exhilarating time, and keeping up with your health can sometimes be daunting. This is a space to share tips, advice and experiences related to maintaining good physical and mental health during this special journey.

Some topics for discussion could be:

- Healthy eating habits and food choices during pregnancy. What are some of your go-to nutritious meals or snacks? Any favorites that help with morning sickness or cravings?

- Exercise routines tailored for pregnant women. Are there any safe workouts you swear by, which keep you energized and fit without being too strenuous?

- How do you deal with cravings - especially those unhealthy ones? Any strategies to navigate the temptations?

- Supplements you found beneficial and any recommendations on getting adequate nutrients, especially if facing challenges like picky eating or food aversions.

- Managing stress and maintaining mental well-being. Pregnancy can be emotionally demanding; let's discuss ways to keep our minds healthy too!

Feel free to share your insights, experiences and advice on keeping yourself and your little one healthy during pregnancy. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts and personal stories!

I'll kickstart the discussion with a few points:

- Healthy Eating: Focus on including a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains in your diet. One trick I use is to freeze or refrigerate fruits and veggies, so they stay fresh longer, which is great since pregnancy makes you hungry every few hours!

I also rely on quick, nutritious meals like smoothie bowls topped with healthy fats like nuts and seeds. This ensures I get a good mix of nutrients and satisfies my constant hunger. For morning sickness, sour candies or ginger tea helped me a lot in the first trimester.

- Exercise: I've switched to prenatal yoga and walking during pregnancy. It keeps me flexible, improves my mood, and is an excellent de-stressing combo without being too exhausting. However, I miss running, which was my go-to exercise pre-pregnancy!

For anyone who enjoys running or thinks it might be a good fit for them, give the 'Couch to 5k' program a shot. It's an excellent, gradual introduction to running, very achievable, and can be adapted as your pregnancy progresses.

- Cravings: I've been trying to strike a balance by indulging in moderate portions of my cravings, especially dark chocolate! I find that having healthier alternatives on hand helps mitigate excessive indulgence. For instance, if I crave something sweet, I might reach for frozen yogurt pops or a banana with peanut butter instead of a candy bar.

Also, distractions help! If possible, take a walk or call a friend when intense cravings strike.

- Mindful Eating & Mental Health: I've been focusing on mindful eating habits, which are especially helpful since pregnancy can amplify all kinds of emotions. I make sure to sit down, savor my meals slowly, and focus on the flavors and smells instead of mindlessly eating in front of the TV.

Taking time for myself, even if it's just 15 minutes for meditation or a quick walk alone, helps manage stress and resets my mood.

These are some strategies that have worked for me so far. Can't wait to hear everyone else's tips!

Reactions: cissy

- Healthy Eating: Focus on including a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains in your diet. One trick I use is to freeze or refrigerate fruits and veggies, so they stay fresh longer, which is great since pregnancy makes you hungry every few hours!

I also rely on quick, nutritious meals like smoothie bowls topped with healthy fats like nuts and seeds. This ensures I get a good mix of nutrients and satisfies my constant hunger. For morning sickness, sour candies or ginger tea helped me a lot in the first trimester.

- Exercise: I've switched to prenatal yoga and walking during pregnancy. It keeps me flexible, improves my mood, and is an excellent de-stressing combo without being too exhausting. However, I miss running, which was my go-to exercise pre-pregnancy!

For anyone who enjoys running or thinks it might be a good fit for them, give the 'Couch to 5k' program a shot. It's an excellent, gradual introduction to running, very achievable, and can be adapted as your pregnancy progresses.

- Cravings: I've been trying to strike a balance by indulging in moderate portions of my cravings, especially dark chocolate! I find that having healthier alternatives on hand helps mitigate excessive indulgence. For instance, if I crave something sweet, I might reach for frozen yogurt pops or a banana with peanut butter instead of a candy bar.

Also, distractions help! If possible, take a walk or call a friend when intense cravings strike.

- Mindful Eating & Mental Health: I've been focusing on mindful eating habits, which are especially helpful since pregnancy can amplify all kinds of emotions. I make sure to sit down, savor my meals slowly, and focus on the flavors and smells instead of mindlessly eating in front of the TV.

Taking time for myself, even if it's just 15 minutes for meditation or a quick walk alone, helps manage stress and resets my mood.

These are some strategies that have worked for me so far. Can't wait to hear everyone else's tips!
Pregnancy definitely comes with its own set of challenges but some preparation and creative workarounds can help us stay healthy and sane!

Regarding exercise, I've found pregnancy-friendly workout videos online which I can follow at home. Since I'm also tired easily these days, I do short 15-minute sessions when I can and focus on activities that strengthen my back and legs - which seem to take the most hit with the growing bump's weight! My physiotherapist friend also recommended exercises like pelvic tilts and cat-cow stretches to help with hip and pelvic pain.

For food cravings, I find keeping a well-stocked pantry helps. I prepare single-serve portions of healthier treats like homemade chocolate banana pops or oat cookies so that I'm not tempted to binge on less healthy options. I also keep lots of frozen berries and smooth, creamy foods like yoghurt or frozen coconut meat in the fridge for when my tastebuds cry out for something sweet and indulgent. They're a nice cool treat in this heat!

What other tips do you guys have for keeping cravings in check while pregnant?

Healthy eating is a crucial topic to kickstart this discussion with! Staying mindful of your nutrition choices is key, and I appreciate you sharing your strategy of stocking up on healthy foods and having tasty, nutritious alternatives at hand.

Having a young child myself, I can relate to the constant hunger pangs and the lack of time that often comes with parenting. For quick meals,I find that having pre-cut fruits and vegetables as snacks or blending them into smoothies is a great way to get some fast nutrients. Plus, involving your little one in preparing these healthy treats can make it more fun!

On the topic of cravings, I totally agree that moderation is key. Indulging in smaller portions of healthier options for cravings is a great tactic - I've been doing that with my sweet tooth tendencies too! And it's so true that our emotional amplifier preggo hormones can make us crave more when we're actually full. Mindful and slow eating is such a great practice to combat that.

I'm keen to hear other mamas' strategies for staying healthy too!

Pregnancy definitely comes with its own set of challenges but some preparation and creative workarounds can help us stay healthy and sane!

Regarding exercise, I've found pregnancy-friendly workout videos online which I can follow at home. Since I'm also tired easily these days, I do short 15-minute sessions when I can and focus on activities that strengthen my back and legs - which seem to take the most hit with the growing bump's weight! My physiotherapist friend also recommended exercises like pelvic tilts and cat-cow stretches to help with hip and pelvic pain.

For food cravings, I find keeping a well-stocked pantry helps. I prepare single-serve portions of healthier treats like homemade chocolate banana pops or oat cookies so that I'm not tempted to binge on less healthy options. I also keep lots of frozen berries and smooth, creamy foods like yoghurt or frozen coconut meat in the fridge for when my tastebuds cry out for something sweet and indulgent. They're a nice cool treat in this heat!

What other tips do you guys have for keeping cravings in check while pregnant?
Having a healthy diet plan that is rich in fruits can help satisfy sugar cravings. I pack my freezer with cut-up fruit selections so they are convenient go-to options when the craving strikes. Something cold and sweet, like frozen mango cubes or strawberries, can be a satisfying pregnancy snack and a healthy alternative to ice cream or cakes!

That's a clever idea! Keeping it handy in the freezer makes it so much easier to reach for something healthy when those sugar cravings hit - which is often, haha. I'll have to remember this tip for my future pregnancy, thank you!

Healthy eating is a crucial topic to kickstart this discussion with! Staying mindful of your nutrition choices is key, and I appreciate you sharing your strategy of stocking up on healthy foods and having tasty, nutritious alternatives at hand.

Having a young child myself, I can relate to the constant hunger pangs and the lack of time that often comes with parenting. For quick meals,I find that having pre-cut fruits and vegetables as snacks or blending them into smoothies is a great way to get some fast nutrients. Plus, involving your little one in preparing these healthy treats can make it more fun!

On the topic of cravings, I totally agree that moderation is key. Indulging in smaller portions of healthier options for cravings is a great tactic - I've been doing that with my sweet tooth tendencies too! And it's so true that our emotional amplifier preggo hormones can make us crave more when we're actually full. Mindful and slow eating is such a great practice to combat that.

I'm keen to hear other mamas' strategies for staying healthy too!
Yes, I completely agree that stocking up on healthy foods is a great strategy. It can be challenging to resist the takeaway menu when you're exhausted and hungry, so having nutritious options readily available is so important.

I also love the idea of preparing healthy snacks together with your kids. It's a great way to spend some quality time with them, especially if they're old enough to help with washing, peeling, and chopping. Teaching them about nutrition and involving them in meal prep might even encourage them to develop healthier eating habits - a win-win situation!

On cravings, I find keeping the unhealthy options out of sight helps. Out of sight, out of mind, as they say. It's harder to crave what you don't see - so stock up on the good stuff and keep those chocolate biscuits hidden! Also, having a glass of cold water or a quick shower can sometimes help to distract you from those hunger pangs and cravings.

I'm curious: how do other moms-to-be here keep their diets in check? Any secret strategies for resisting the junk food?!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
That's a clever idea! Keeping it handy in the freezer makes it so much easier to reach for something healthy when those sugar cravings hit - which is often, haha. I'll have to remember this tip for my future pregnancy, thank you!
It's a great and simple hack to prepare in advance for those constant cravings! You're welcome; hopefully, the strategy will help you as much as it has helped me. I've also been experimenting with spicy ginger tea to reduce my sugar cravings; seems like a worthy detour!

Great to hear that this trick has worked for you! Spicy ginger tea is an intriguing idea - might have to give that one a go too, sounds delicious and healthy. Do share any other tips you find helpful for keeping cravings at bay. Would love to hear them!

Reactions: eternity
Peppermint tea is an excellent choice for cravings, and it's a refreshing treat, especially iced during warmer days! It's a great way to keep cool and healthy through the various stages of pregnancy.

Peppermint tea is an excellent choice for cravings, and it's a refreshing treat, especially iced during warmer days! It's a great way to keep cool and healthy through the various stages of pregnancy.
Yes! I lived on peppermint tea towards the end of my second trimester. The warmth settled my nausea while the mint taste was a welcome change from ginger.

Reactions: techsavvy
That's a great tip about peppermint tea! It's amazing how the simplest things can provide the most comfort. I'll definitely be reaching for some during my next pregnancy. Thanks for sharing!

That's a great tip about peppermint tea! It's amazing how the simplest things can provide the most comfort. I'll definitely be reaching for some during my next pregnancy. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, who knew something so simple could help so much! Hope you're feeling better soon, glad to share :)

It's incredible how effective it can be! Simple yet impactful; I love it when that happens. Better days ahead!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Those vibe changes make such a difference too - it's like an instant pick me up when you need it most!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Vibes do have such a positive impact on our wellbeing, which is crucial during pregnancy! They're a great way to uplift your mood and an instant energy booster.

Vibes do have such a positive impact on our wellbeing, which is crucial during pregnancy! They're a great way to uplift your mood and an instant energy booster.
It's true! The power of positive vibes and keeping a cheerful outlook can improve our overall well-being and energy levels, especially during pregnancy when you need it most. It's like creating a feel-good bubble for yourself and your baby.

Reactions: cissy and happyfeet
Absolutely! I think it's such a great mind-set to have, bringing positive vibes and a cheerful outlook during pregnancy. It definitely helps with keeping energy levels up, which is so important when you've got a little one growing inside of you. I found that taking time each day for mindfulness and focusing on the positives really helped me stay healthy and energized throughout my pregnancies. Also making sure to take some 'me-time' each day, even if it's just 15 minutes to relax and de-stress can make such a difference!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu