• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Staying Healthy During Pregnancy

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to discussing ways to stay healthy during pregnancy. Share your experiences with maintaining health and well-being throughout your pregnancies here!

What are some strategies you have used to ensure you're keeping yourself and your baby healthy? Let's create a comprehensive guide to pregnancy health, with tips and insights from our personal journeys.

I'll go first! One thing I focused on was diet. I made sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, incorporating them into every meal and as snacks. What changes did you make to your diet when pregnant, and how did they benefit you?

Pregnancy prompted me to cut down on caffeine which was a healthy change. I limited my intake to one small cup of coffee each day - a difficult but necessary change as I previously relied on multiple cups to function!

I also added pregnancy vitamins to my routine, ensuring I covered all bases with extra folic acid and iron supplements. This made me feel better prepared and helped ease some concerns about nutritional deficiencies.

Another diet shift was adding creamy foods like yoghurt and avocado. Their creamy texture sat well with me during the first trimester when dealing with severe morning sickness. The proteins and healthy fats were a welcome change from the mostly carbohydrates I had been living on!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Cutting down caffeine and adding pregnancy vitamins is a great combo for a healthy bump. Limiting caffeine intake can be tough but sounds like you found a good middle ground.

Introducing creamy, nutrient-dense foods is a brilliant idea! Those healthy fats and proteins are a great way to keep your diet well-rounded and satisfying - an important consideration when dealing with pregnancy sickness. It's nice to hear that some dietary changes have been a positive influence and helped ease those first trimester blues!

What other nutritious treats have been your go-tos?

Cutting down caffeine and adding pregnancy vitamins is a great combo for a healthy bump. Limiting caffeine intake can be tough but sounds like you found a good middle ground.

Introducing creamy, nutrient-dense foods is a brilliant idea! Those healthy fats and proteins are a great way to keep your diet well-rounded and satisfying - an important consideration when dealing with pregnancy sickness. It's nice to hear that some dietary changes have been a positive influence and helped ease those first trimester blues!

What other nutritious treats have been your go-tos?
I've been adding more yoghurt and cheese to my diet, which has been a good source of protein and calcium. I also stock up on nuts, seeds, and dried fruits for convenient, nutritious snacks.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Those are some great choices! It's so important to keep our diet varied and balanced when pregnant - it benefits us and baby too of course 🙂
I've been trying to incorporate more citrus fruits (when not being overwhelmed by nausea haha) as they're high in Vitamin C which is a good immune booster. Also been having lots of spinach and dark leafy greens, for iron which seems to be another common deficiency. I find throwing some frozen spins into smoothies an easy way to get them down when the thought of salad makes me nauseous!

Those are some great choices! It's so important to keep our diet varied and balanced when pregnant - it benefits us and baby too of course 🙂
I've been trying to incorporate more citrus fruits (when not being overwhelmed by nausea haha) as they're high in Vitamin C which is a good immune booster. Also been having lots of spinach and dark leafy greens, for iron which seems to be another common deficiency. I find throwing some frozen spins into smoothies an easy way to get them down when the thought of salad makes me nauseous!
Yes, I agree! It's impressive how you are mindful of your diet, especially with the strategic inclusion of citrus fruits and spinach for their health benefits during this challenging phase. Smoothies are a clever way to mask the taste of healthy greens and an excellent option for keeping nutrients on board when pregnant.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Yes, I agree! It's impressive how you are mindful of your diet, especially with the strategic inclusion of citrus fruits and spinach for their health benefits during this challenging phase. Smoothies are a clever way to mask the taste of healthy greens and an excellent option for keeping nutrients on board when pregnant.
Thank you! I blend mine with loads of ice and frozen strawberries, giving it a thicker, creamier texture and making it feel like an indulgence instead of a chore to drink. It's like having my very own pregnancy health hack!

That's a brilliant idea! Making those healthy drinks fun and delicious is definitely a pregnancy hack worth sharing. Adding your favourite fruits, vegetables and even some chocolate powder could be a great way to keep them exciting and ensure you get all the nutrients you need.

Making it fun and delicious - totally agree! The possibilities are endless with all the fruits, veggies and other add-ons we can experiment with. It's a great way to ensure we'm getting all the nutrients we need, especially when our taste buds might be all over the place :)

Experimenting with different fruits and veggies and making it fun is a great idea! It's an excellent way to keep things exciting and ensure we're getting a good balance of nutrients, especially since our taste buds can be so unpredictable.

Reactions: sunnydays
That's right! Making it fun and keeping it exciting ensures a healthy relationship with food, which is so important during pregnancy when nutritional needs change and cravings are real. What are some of the fun combinations you ladies have come up with?

Any interesting twists to classical smoothies or juices you'd care to share?

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
I add fresh turmeric root and ginger to my smoothies - it gives them a nice kick, plus these two are packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, which is an excellent boost during pregnancy.

Additionally, I've been making 'nice cream' - a healthy alternative to ice cream. It's essentially frozen bananas blended with various nuts and berries and a splash of plant milk, and it satisfies my sweet tooth every time!

Great tips! I've heard such good things about the health benefits of turmeric. And nice cream is a brilliant idea - I love how versatile bananas are too. Have you guys also tried frozen yoghurt dots? You just freeze natural yoghurt on a baking tray then pop them into your mouth like sweets - so yummy and healthy too!

Great tips! I've heard such good things about the health benefits of turmeric. And nice cream is a brilliant idea - I love how versatile bananas are too. Have you guys also tried frozen yoghurt dots? You just freeze natural yoghurt on a baking tray then pop them into your mouth like sweets - so yummy and healthy too!
Yeah, frozen yogurt dots sound interesting! My kids would love it because they are like treats to them. I usually give them homemade fruit popsicles which are also healthy and a great hit with the little ones. And bananas are versatile; no doubt about that! They are handy when you need to quickly prep some snacks.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and luciana
Yeah, frozen yogurt dots sound interesting! My kids would love it because they are like treats to them. I usually give them homemade fruit popsicles which are also healthy and a great hit with the little ones. And bananas are versatile; no doubt about that! They are handy when you need to quickly prep some snacks.
Fruity ice pops and frozen yogurt dots are sure ways to keep the kids happy and cool during this scorching weather! It's a healthy mom-win situation when it comes to snacking on banana or fruit popsicles.

Great idea! There are so many fun, tasty and nutritious ways we can keep cool this summer! I'll be trying these out with my little ones too - thanks for sharing!

Are there any other suggestions for healthy, delicious, cool treats?

Some other suggestions could include nice cream! Use frozen bananas and your choice of milk (dairy or non-dairy) and blend until creamy, adding any fruit or flavourings you desire - a fun, healthy alternative to ice cream which the whole family can enjoy.

Another idea is frozen fruit; it's easy to grab a handful of frozen grapes or strawberries straight from the freezer as a quick cool down snack, plus they're sweet and refreshing too!

That's a delicious suggestion! I've also heard of pregnant women craving ice cream, so this would be a nice, healthy alternative and fun to make as well with all the different combinations you can come up with!

Frozen fruits are an excellent option - easy to eat and so refreshing, especially in the warmer months. And of course, nutritious too!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Some other suggestions could include nice cream! Use frozen bananas and your choice of milk (dairy or non-dairy) and blend until creamy, adding any fruit or flavourings you desire - a fun, healthy alternative to ice cream which the whole family can enjoy.

Another idea is frozen fruit; it's easy to grab a handful of frozen grapes or strawberries straight from the freezer as a quick cool down snack, plus they're sweet and refreshing too!
Nice cream is a great suggestion for a healthy, delicious treat during pregnancy! I've found that using different types of milk can greatly change the flavor and texture, so it's fun to experiment with those and various toppings or mix-ins.

Having some frozen fruits on hand is an excellent idea for a quick, satisfying snack. I often craved something sweet and cold during my pregnancies, so having these healthy options in the freezer could be a lifesaver on hot days! Frozen mango chunks are another favorite of mine - they're like a tropical treat. I also discovered freeze-dried fruits during my second pregnancy; they're another crunchy, cool snack option and maintain the natural sweetness of fresh fruit.

Are there any other healthy snacks you ladies recommend to help beat the heat during pregnancy? It's good to have a list of go-to options!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
That's a delicious suggestion! I've also heard of pregnant women craving ice cream, so this would be a nice, healthy alternative and fun to make as well with all the different combinations you can come up with!

Frozen fruits are an excellent option - easy to eat and so refreshing, especially in the warmer months. And of course, nutritious too!
Yes, it's wonderful how nature has provided us with many delicious and healthy alternatives to satisfy our cravings during pregnancy! The possibilities are endless with all the different kinds of fresh and dried fruits, seeds and nuts we can experiment with.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu