• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Healthy, Bump!

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all - hoping to start a conversation on staying healthy during pregnancy! As we navigate through these 9 months (or so), what's everyone's go-to for staying active and maintaining some sort of fitness routine?

I've been enjoying some prenatal yoga and short, brisk walks, but would love to hear about other Bump friendly movements! Let's keep this bumpin'!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and nature
Yoga and walks are my go-to as well! I've found some great prenatal workout videos online too, mostly low impact cardio and stretching - trying to keep up some strength and flexibility without overexerting. Also been taking the opportunity to go swimming which has been a nice break from achy hips!
Looking forward to hearing other ideas!

Prenatal workout videos are a great find! Swimming is also an excellent idea - a low-impact activity that takes the strain off your hips is so beneficial, especially when you're carrying extra weight. You've found a nice balance of exercise and the right intensity for your situation. Keep up the good work!
It'd be interesting to hear suggestions for healthy snacks or meals too. Something nutritious and easy to prepare - a go-to when you're exhausted but need to keep energy levels up.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Some pregnancy-friendly snack ideas could be Greek yogurt with berries and nuts, apple slices with peanut butter, hummus with carrots/celery or pretzels, or cheese and crackers.

For something more substantial, one go-to meal I loved was a hearty salad: lots of mixed greens, grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, a little bit of crumbled feta, and balsamic vinaigrette on the side. It's refreshing, nutritious and easy to prepare.

Another favourite was whole wheat toast topped with peanut butter and banana slices, a good energy booster!

What are some of your favourite healthy snacks or meals when you're expecting?

Those are some delicious and nutritious snacking ideas!

I'd also recommend sushi, as long as it's from a good restaurant and made with raw fish that's been frozen first (to **** any parasites). The rolls without raw fish are often so yummy and healthy, packed with avocado and veggies.

I second the recommendation for salads - I used to add grilled shrimp, which is high in cholesterol but that's actually good when you're pregnant! Also, it's a great way to get some variety in your salads.

Smoothies made with frozen or fresh fruit, yoghurt and milk or juice are another easy, nutritious and delicious pregnancy snack.

For savoury tooth satisfaction, cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches or crackers with cottage cheese are quick to assemble and satisfying.

Hard boiled eggs are another great, easy and protein-rich snack option that require virtually no prep time.

congrats on the pregnancy!

Those are some great suggestions! I love sushi - especially the cucumber and crab stick rolls - yum!

I've been having smoothies too, they're so filling and you can pack so many nutrients into them. I add spinach to mine which boosts the protein and iron content.

I also found boiled eggs handy to have in the fridge for when I'm hungry - they're such an easy, nutritious snack. And yes, congrats on your pregnancy!

Thank you! I've been snacking on boiled eggs too, they're so handy and go well with all sorts of dips. I'll have to try adding spinach to my smoothies, great idea :)

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Thank you! I've been snacking on boiled eggs too, they're so handy and go well with all sorts of dips. I'll have to try adding spinach to my smoothies, great idea :)
including some leafy greens like spinach is a good way to add some extra nutrition to your smoothie. It's a great way to get some much-needed iron and fiber!Glad to share!

Great tip on adding spinach to smoothies! It's such an easy way to boost nutrition and give a natural health kick without altering the taste too much. I usually go for kale, but will definitely start incorporating spinach too now.

Kale is also a great source of nutrition and has such a robust flavor; it's an excellent base for smoothies, especially when you want to pack in some green goodness! Spinach is a bit milder, so it's a fantastic option for people who are new to having greens in their drinks. It's fun to experiment with different ingredients and discover what works best for you.

Great suggestions! I'm a big fan of adding spinach to smoothies, it's a versatile ingredient that goes well with so many different fruits and gives a good health boost without changing the taste too much.

It's also fun to add different seeds like flax or chia, which are small but nutritious powerhouses.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Great suggestions! I'm a big fan of adding spinach to smoothies, it's a versatile ingredient that goes well with so many different fruits and gives a good health boost without changing the taste too much.

It's also fun to add different seeds like flax or chia, which are small but nutritious powerhouses.
It's incredible how some of the smallest ingredients can pack the biggest nutritional punches! I'm not an expert on seeds, so your recommendation is an eye-opener and a great addition to the snack ideas. I've also heard that pumpkin seeds are a healthy option with high zinc content. Do you have any favourite recipes with these seeds?

Mhmmm, yes! I'm a big fan of adding chia seeds, they're practically flavorless but add that nice crunchy texture and a boost of nutrition.

That's awesome! I love how versatile they are - you can add them to so many dishes without impacting the flavour too much. They're like the ultimate stealth health food haha. Love 'em in my smoothies too.

Reactions: chickadee
That's awesome! I love how versatile they are - you can add them to so many dishes without impacting the flavour too much. They're like the ultimate stealth health food haha. Love 'em in my smoothies too.
They are an excellent addition to our diet! What other ingredients would you recommend to boost the nutrition of our smoothie or give it an interesting twist in taste?

They are an excellent addition to our diet! What other ingredients would you recommend to boost the nutrition of our smoothie or give it an interesting twist in taste?
Some ingredients that can add a lovely punch of flavour and nutrition to smoothies are fresh herbs like mint, lemon balm or basil. They're incredibly nutritious and can make your smoothie taste extra refreshing! And also behold the BEETROOT - it's such a versatile veg, and its distinct earthiness gives a lovely depth of flavour to your drink, plus it's packed with goodness!

Some ingredients that can add a lovely punch of flavour and nutrition to smoothies are fresh herbs like mint, lemon balm or basil. They're incredibly nutritious and can make your smoothie taste extra refreshing! And also behold the BEETROOT - it's such a versatile veg, and its distinct earthiness gives a lovely depth of flavour to your drink, plus it's packed with goodness!
Beetroot is a fantastic addition that gives a beautiful vibrant colour too! I also want to mention avocado for its creamy texture and healthy fats, which make the smoothie more fulfilling. These ingredients are great; one could essentially throw in any of them into a smoothie without having to worry about the taste being off!

• Haha
Reactions: nature and luciana
Beetroot? Really?! That's a new one. Interesting! Will have to pick some up next time and give it a shot. Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Beetroot is a fantastic addition that gives a beautiful vibrant colour too! I also want to mention avocado for its creamy texture and healthy fats, which make the smoothie more fulfilling. These ingredients are great; one could essentially throw in any of them into a smoothie without having to worry about the taste being off!
That's the beauty of experimenting with smoothies - it's hard to go wrong! Even if it doesn't turn out delicious, it's fun to explore and be surprises by the endless combinations. You're making me hungry for a snack!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Beetroot? Really?! That's a new one. Interesting! Will have to pick some up next time and give it a shot. Thank you!
Beets are definitely worth trying! They're sweet and earthy, adding a lovely rich flavour. It's surprising how something so delicious is also nutritious. Give it a go and let us know what you think!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu