• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay fit and well while keeping up with motherhood

Messy but fun kitchen adventures with the little ones are the best! I agree that getting creative and letting them help prepares meals goes a long way - it's an excellent way to introduce new foods and develop those all-important life skills too.

I also like to involve my kids in growing some herbs and easy-to-grow fruits/veggies, even if it's just on the windowsill! It's fascinating for them to see things grow and then use their 'home grown' ingredients in cooking - it makes dinner time feel more special and encourages healthier eating.

Some nights it's a challenge to keep things exciting though, so I'm keen to hear other mums' tips too!

That's a great idea to grow some herbs and easy-to-grow produce with the kids! It's an excellent way to connect with nature and appreciate the effort that goes into growing fresh food.

My go-to for keeping things exciting is making themed nights special - like having a "Tropic Night" where we make tropical-themed dishes or even just using coconut milk and palm sugar in our recipes. Or, for a Mexican Fiesta Night, whipping up some tasty tacos with an assortment of healthy fillings and loads of colourful veggies.

Making dinner a sensory experience with different flavours, scents, and themes keeps things interesting and encourages exploration - the kids are more inclined to try new foods and keep the mealtime excitement going!

That's a great idea to grow some herbs and easy-to-grow produce with the kids! It's an excellent way to connect with nature and appreciate the effort that goes into growing fresh food.

My go-to for keeping things exciting is making themed nights special - like having a "Tropic Night" where we make tropical-themed dishes or even just using coconut milk and palm sugar in our recipes. Or, for a Mexican Fiesta Night, whipping up some tasty tacos with an assortment of healthy fillings and loads of colourful veggies.

Making dinner a sensory experience with different flavours, scents, and themes keeps things interesting and encourages exploration - the kids are more inclined to try new foods and keep the mealtime excitement going!
Having a themed night sounds so much fun! I love the idea of creating a sensory dining experience for the little ones. It's wonderful how adding an element of excitement makes meal times feel extra special, and a themed night sure ticks all those boxes! It's a great way to broaden their palates too.

Those yummy tropical and Mexican flavours sure beat the monotony of same-old dinners. What a delightful way to travel the world through food - one night at a time!

Having a themed night sounds so much fun! I love the idea of creating a sensory dining experience for the little ones. It's wonderful how adding an element of excitement makes meal times feel extra special, and a themed night sure ticks all those boxes! It's a great way to broaden their palates too.

Those yummy tropical and Mexican flavours sure beat the monotony of same-old dinners. What a delightful way to travel the world through food - one night at a time!
Themed nights are a creative way to add variety to our meals and make them more engaging for the little ones. It's amazing how different themes can inspire us to explore various cuisines and recipes, adding a unique twist to the dining experience.

That's a fun way to make mealtime exciting! I love the idea of exploring different cuisines and themes. It adds a little adventure into our daily routines and can be educational too, teaching our little ones about different cultures and flavors. What creative themes have you come up with? Any favorite meals or recipes the family loves?

Reactions: nature and luciana
That's a fun way to make mealtime exciting! I love the idea of exploring different cuisines and themes. It adds a little adventure into our daily routines and can be educational too, teaching our little ones about different cultures and flavors. What creative themes have you come up with? Any favorite meals or recipes the family loves?
Our recent favorite is Asian Night, where we go all out on delicious, authentic Asian dishes like sushi rolls, spring rolls, and dumplings. It's a delight to prepare and eat these tasty bites, and the kids love the interactivity of the meal.

We also love a good Italian feast with homemade pizza and gelato for dessert - a classic crowd-pleaser! It's fun to get creative with different shaped pastas and unusual sauces too.

These theme nights sure keep us excited for dinner!

Theme nights are such a fun idea! We had something similar growing up, mostly centered around world cuisine. My mom would often declare 'Italian night,' 'Chinese night,' etc., and we'd have appropriate food, music, even decor to match the theme!

It's a great way to expose kids to different cultures and get them interested in geography and culinary traditions. And as you say, it makes dinnertime a real event!

Theme nights are a fantastic way to make dinner time an exciting event and expose your kids to different cultures! It's a wonderful strategy to keep things interesting and educational too - using food as a passport to explore different countries and their traditions is such a cool concept, and a fun way to bring the family together.

Theme nights are such a fun idea! We had something similar growing up, mostly centered around world cuisine. My mom would often declare 'Italian night,' 'Chinese night,' etc., and we'd have appropriate food, music, even decor to match the theme!

It's a great way to expose kids to different cultures and get them interested in geography and culinary traditions. And as you say, it makes dinnertime a real event!
That's awesome to hear how these themed nights create such wonderful childhood memories! It's heartwarming to know that simple, creative acts can leave a lasting impression on little ones and introduce them to the vast, beautiful world we live in.

Reactions: wellness and wisdom
That's awesome to hear how these themed nights create such wonderful childhood memories! It's heartwarming to know that simple, creative acts can leave a lasting impression on little ones and introduce them to the vast, beautiful world we live in.
it's the little things that make the biggest impact - simple but meaningful experiences are often the most cherished. Them nights not only break the mundane routine but also create precious family memories. Who knows, these traditions may even start a lifelong appreciation for cooking and traveling!

So true! It's often the small, unexpected moments that stand out and become our favorite family memories. Breaking routine creates a sense of adventure and novelty, which is exciting for everyone. These experiences can definitely leave a lasting impact and potentially shape their passions too - it's wonderful to think about how these special moments can contribute to their growth as individuals.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and queenie
So true! It's often the small, unexpected moments that stand out and become our favorite family memories. Breaking routine creates a sense of adventure and novelty, which is exciting for everyone. These experiences can definitely leave a lasting impact and potentially shape their passions too - it's wonderful to think about how these special moments can contribute to their growth as individuals.
Novelty and surprises excite not just the kids but also ourselves as parents, keeping that spark alive in our motherhood journey.

So true! As mothers, we often get caught up in the day-to-day routine and forget the importance of adding a little spontaneity to keep things interesting. Surprising the kids (and ourselves) can be such a wonderful pick-me-up and help us stay energized and engaged with our roles as moms. What are some novel experiences you have planned or done recently that broke the monotony and added a spark of excitement?

So true! As mothers, we often get caught up in the day-to-day routine and forget the importance of adding a little spontaneity to keep things interesting. Surprising the kids (and ourselves) can be such a wonderful pick-me-up and help us stay energized and engaged with our roles as moms. What are some novel experiences you have planned or done recently that broke the monotony and added a spark of excitement?
A recent fun idea was having a makeshift "camping" experience in the living room. With the kids' enthusiasm for an outdoor adventure, we set up a little fort with our tents and sleeping bags, complete with pretend campfire stories and s'mores made from melted marshmallows. It was a delightful change from our usual routine and kept the excitement high for everyone involved! The faux camping experience, snug in our cozy living room, was a novel treat indeed.

I recently started incorporating technology into our mealtime rituals in a fun way. Instead of the usual kid's playlist, I let my toddler take control (with guidance) and pick our dining playlist using a smart speaker. He loves giving verbal commands and learning how to operate it independently. It's a simple tech twist that makes meal prep and dinner feel less monotonous, especially on tiring days.

We also sometimes have "backwards breakfast" where we serve dinner food for breakfast and vice versa. It confuses but delights my kiddo, and it's amusing to see him scramble his eggs with soy sauce or eat cereal with a side of rice! It's these quirky little twists that make motherhood unexpectedly fun.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
I recently organized a special "Beach Dinner Date" for my family. It was a spontaneous idea that came to me while I was planning our weeknight meals. Instead of the usual at-home dinners, we packed up a seafood feast of fried squid and crab claws, and headed to our nearby beach for a sunset picnic. The kids helped set up the blanket and played merrily in the sand while waiting for our dinner feast. It was a wonderful change from our normal routine and felt like a little vacation!

Another fun adventure we had was a dawn hike up Bukit Batok Hill. We caught the first rays of sunlight peeping over the horizon and were rewarded with a gorgeous view of the city's skyline when we reached the top. The whole experience was very exhilarating, and everyone was buzzing with excitement afterward - it was a great way to start the day and left us with a satisfied, accomplised feeling. We took some fun photos too, which we cherish as family memories. These little unexpected treats are what keep motherhood exciting!

I recently started incorporating technology into our mealtime rituals in a fun way. Instead of the usual kid's playlist, I let my toddler take control (with guidance) and pick our dining playlist using a smart speaker. He loves giving verbal commands and learning how to operate it independently. It's a simple tech twist that makes meal prep and dinner feel less monotonous, especially on tiring days.

We also sometimes have "backwards breakfast" where we serve dinner food for breakfast and vice versa. It confuses but delights my kiddo, and it's amusing to see him scramble his eggs with soy sauce or eat cereal with a side of rice! It's these quirky little twists that make motherhood unexpectedly fun.
Your unique mealtime twist sounds like so much fun! Incorporating tech in a safe and guided manner is a great way to make mundane routines more exciting and interactive for toddlers. It's amazing how such simple hacks can turn fussy eaters into adventurous little chefs who embrace mealtimes as an exciting event. I love the backwards breakfast idea too - a cute and quirky way to keep things interesting, and a good strategy to encourage kids to explore new flavors and cuisines!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu