• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay fit and well while keeping up with motherhood

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Motherhood can be a full time job in itself, but staying fit and healthy is such an important aspect of maintaining your energy levels and sense of well being.

What are your tips for keeping up with fitness goals and maintaining good health whilst balancing the demands of motherhood?

I'll go first! I find that high intensity workouts at home work best for me as they're quick, efficient and don't require any childcare - burpees and mountain climbers are my go-to exercise when I only have a few minutes to spare! I also keep a close eye on my diet and make sure to stock up on healthy snacks so I'm not tempted by junk food when on the go.

What about you all? Any tips for staying motivated and keeping up a healthy routine whilst being a mum?

For me, short runs with the pushchair have been a lifesaver! It gets harder as they get heavier, but it's such an efficient way to get some cardio in without needing a babysitter (or convincing them that going for a run is fun...).

I also find yoga helpful - again, can be done at home while the kids are around and even involve them too which makes it more fun. I've also found that having a fitness goal helps me stay motivated - signing up to a charity run or competition gives me something to work towards and helps me keep on track.

Finally, keeping a food diary has unexpectedly helped me stay healthy. I think the act of physically writing down everything I eat keeps me more honest and aware! Would love to hear other people's tips for staying active too - it's definitely a challenge but feels so worth it :)

Great tips, thank you for sharing!

I especially love the idea of involving kids in yoga sessions--it can be a fun family activity and an excellent way to keep kids active too, plus it might encourage them to develop an interest in fitness early on.

Keeping a food diary is a brilliant idea; I might have to give that a go! I find tracking apps helpful as well--you input everything you eat and they calculate the calories, which keeps you mindful of your consumption patterns.

Setting goals is another fantastic motivator--having something tangible to work towards certainly helps keep me on track. Also, signing up for a charity event is a wonderful way to stay committed, plus it raises money for a good cause, which makes working out feel more meaningful.

I've also found that having a supportive workout buddy can help keep you accountable and motivated. You can motivate each other and share tips and advice--it's always nice to have someone in a similar situation to hold yourself accountable!

Some great suggestions all round; it's definitely an ongoing challenge but well worth the effort!

So many great ideas! It seems like we're on the same page with a lot of these. The goal setting, charity events and workout buddies have been especially motivating for me. And yes, involving the kids - my little one loves our 'dance parties' which double as yoga sessions!

I've found tracking apps really helpful too; sometimes it's eye-opening to see things like excessive snacking or an overreliance on convenience foods laid out in front of you. But it's a great way to hold yourself accountable and become more mindful, and the calories are right there so you can't deny the numbers!

It's definitely tough but keeping up with these strategies makes such a difference - and we feel better for it too. Well done to everyone keeping at it; here's to our health!

So many great ideas! It seems like we're on the same page with a lot of these. The goal setting, charity events and workout buddies have been especially motivating for me. And yes, involving the kids - my little one loves our 'dance parties' which double as yoga sessions!

I've found tracking apps really helpful too; sometimes it's eye-opening to see things like excessive snacking or an overreliance on convenience foods laid out in front of you. But it's a great way to hold yourself accountable and become more mindful, and the calories are right there so you can't deny the numbers!

It's definitely tough but keeping up with these strategies makes such a difference - and we feel better for it too. Well done to everyone keeping at it; here's to our health!
The pleasure is mine; I'm happy to have discovered this forum to exchange such fantastic tips! I totally agree that seeking convenience in healthier food options is a much better approach than reaching for easy but unhealthy choices.

Here's to staying healthy and keeping our kids (and ourselves!) active! 🍾😊

Cheers! Convenience is key, especially with how hectic motherhood can get. It's awesome to have this space to share ideas on keeping a healthy balance - here's to our collective health and keeping up with those little ones' energy! 😀🍾

Reactions: chickadee
convenience, especially quick meals prepped and ready to go so I don't have to think too hard after a long day! Also into frozen veggies - super easy to throw some broc/carrots/peas into boiling water while the kids are playing nearby (or helping!). And of course lots of fruit always washed and cut up in the fridge for snacks - baby carrots too. Making sure I always have healthy(ish) treats on hand because if they're there, that's what I'll reach for instead of junk!

I love having convenient, healthy foods around too - it makes such a difference! Having fruits and veggies washed and cut up is such a timesaver, I agree! It's so much easier to grab something healthy when it's prepared and readily available rather than reaching for takeaway menus...great strategy!

Having prepped healthy foods at the ready makes a huge difference - it's so convenient and saves us from making less healthy choices. It's amazing how little time it takes to prepare these foods when you think of the payoff! Great minds think alike :)

Great job! It's true, a bit of prep work goes a long way. It's easier than we think to make healthy choices when the healthier option is the most convenient one. Congrats on thinking ahead and putting some good systems in place - it'll only benefit you and your family.

Thanks so much! I've really tried hard to make sure that being healthy is easy and convenient - now that it's habit, it makes things so much simpler! It's amazing how beneficial a little prep work can be. Having healthy meals ready to go or snacks prepped and portioned out makes all the difference when you're a busy mum!

It really does make a huge difference to have everything prepared ahead of time - especially as kids get older and busier! It's a great habit to get into, and pays off so much in terms of convenience and keeping healthy! I've found that cooking double portions and freezing leftovers is also a handy trick - it's so nice to just be able to grab a pre-made, nutritious meal when you're short on time and energy.

That's such a good point! Batch cooking and freezing meals is a life saver, especially for those busy days. It also helps to have a few go-to recipes that are quick, healthy, and easy to throw together at the last minute.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Having some reliable, go-to recipes up your sleeve is such a good idea - and of course, making double portions to cater for those busier days! It's a real time saver and takes the stress out of deciding what to cook too. Freezing individual portions makes it so much more convenient as well - great thinking!

Having some reliable, go-to recipes up your sleeve is such a good idea - and of course, making double portions to cater for those busier days! It's a real time saver and takes the stress out of deciding what to cook too. Freezing individual portions makes it so much more convenient as well - great thinking!
It's rewarding to take the extra effort on less hectic days to make delicious homecooked frozen meals that can be quickly defrosted and enjoyed when life gets a little crazy. Do you have any easy, go-to recipes that you'd recommend for time-pressed mornings or nights? I'm always looking for some new, simple, preferably healthy, dishes to rely on!

It's rewarding to take the extra effort on less hectic days to make delicious homecooked frozen meals that can be quickly defrosted and enjoyed when life gets a little crazy. Do you have any easy, go-to recipes that you'd recommend for time-pressed mornings or nights? I'm always looking for some new, simple, preferably healthy, dishes to rely on!
I've got just the thing - my trusty vegetable and barley one-pot soup! It's an adaptable recipe that's super quick to throw together, nutritious, and tastes great. Here's what you'll need:

- 2 cups of barley
- 8 cups of vegetable broth (or water, if you prefer)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil

You can also add other veggies such as mushrooms or green peppers, or even some cooked chicken for extra protein. Simply heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, throw in the carbs and celery for a few minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the barley is soft. Easy peasy!

Another one I'd recommend - particularly for busy mornings - is overnight oats. Just grab some oat meal, pour in some milk (dairy or otherwise), sweeten with a touch of honey or syrup, and throw in your favorite fruits or berries. Pop it all in the fridge before you sleep, and it'll be delicious and ready to eat by morning!

These recipes are simple, wholesome, and require little prep time - just what we need as moms!

Reactions: sportytina
I've got just the thing - my trusty vegetable and barley one-pot soup! It's an adaptable recipe that's super quick to throw together, nutritious, and tastes great. Here's what you'll need:

- 2 cups of barley
- 8 cups of vegetable broth (or water, if you prefer)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil

You can also add other veggies such as mushrooms or green peppers, or even some cooked chicken for extra protein. Simply heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, throw in the carbs and celery for a few minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the barley is soft. Easy peasy!

Another one I'd recommend - particularly for busy mornings - is overnight oats. Just grab some oat meal, pour in some milk (dairy or otherwise), sweeten with a touch of honey or syrup, and throw in your favorite fruits or berries. Pop it all in the fridge before you sleep, and it'll be delicious and ready to eat by morning!

These recipes are simple, wholesome, and require little prep time - just what we need as moms!
Mmm, those recipes sound like great, tasty comfort food! I love that they're versatile too, and accommodate all sorts of ingredients depending on what's available in the fridge.

For busy mornings, overnight oats are such a good idea - so easy to prepare, and it's exciting to wake up knowing you have a delicious, healthy breakfast ready to go! It's also a fun recipe to let the kids help with, because it's so simple they can easily grab ingredients and pour them in themselves.

It's rewarding to have these quick and tasty recipes up our sleeves - thanks for sharing!

Mmm, those recipes sound like great, tasty comfort food! I love that they're versatile too, and accommodate all sorts of ingredients depending on what's available in the fridge.

For busy mornings, overnight oats are such a good idea - so easy to prepare, and it's exciting to wake up knowing you have a delicious, healthy breakfast ready to go! It's also a fun recipe to let the kids help with, because it's so simple they can easily grab ingredients and pour them in themselves.

It's rewarding to have these quick and tasty recipes up our sleeves - thanks for sharing!
Yes, these go-to recipes come especially handy when you're tired at the end of the day. It's fun helping little ones prepare breakfast together as well. Half the fun is in the preparation, so it's a wonderful bonding experience too!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet and koala
Cooking with kids around can be messy but fun - and getting them to help you prep healthy options can also introduce them to new foods they might otherwise shy away from. It's a win-win!

Cooking with kids around can be messy but fun - and getting them to help you prep healthy options can also introduce them to new foods they might otherwise shy away from. It's a win-win!
Having little helpers in the kitchen can definitely make meal prep more exciting! Getting their tiny hands dirty with different ingredients somehow makes the food taste better, isn't it? It's also quite adorable how proud they feel after preparing a meal, no matter how messy their work is.

What other tricks do you mommies have up your sleeves for keeping healthy habits easy and enjoyable? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to keep things fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu