• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay efficient with Time-Saving Hacks

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Time-saving at its finest! We all want to make the most of our days, so share your ultimate time-saving hacks and let's keep those extra minutes (hours!) where they belong - in our pockets. Whether it's a clever cooking shortcut, a streamlined study sesh or an efficient email management system, dish it out!

I'll go first: My inbox zero game is strong thanks to my 'defer' folders. When I get a non-urgent email that requires action down the line, I immediately flag it and pop it into relevant defer folders - for later this week, next week, sometime in May... That way I keep my main inbox tidy and only focus on the urgent tasks at hand without forgetting about future to-dos!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Time-saving at its finest! We all want to make the most of our days, so share your ultimate time-saving hacks and let's keep those extra minutes (hours!) where they belong - in our pockets. Whether it's a clever cooking shortcut, a streamlined study sesh or an efficient email management system, dish it out!

I'll go first: My inbox zero game is strong thanks to my 'defer' folders. When I get a non-urgent email that requires action down the line, I immediately flag it and pop it into relevant defer folders - for later this week, next week, sometime in May... That way I keep my main inbox tidy and only focus on the urgent tasks at hand without forgetting about future to-dos!
My cooking hack involves prepared, portioned ingredients and premade meals. Sunday evenings are my food prep sessions. I chop up veggies, marinate meats, and even cook some dishes ahead of time. This way, when it's mealtime, everything's faster - almost like having an instant meal but still healthy and delicious. Less than 30 mins is all it takes to get a tasty, balanced dinner on the table. You also avoid food wastage this way, which is great for the environment and your wallet!

I make sure to keep things interesting by varying menus weekly and adding some new dishes to prevent boring my family's tastebuds.

That's a brilliant idea! I do something similar, although not as extensive as your meal prep. I usually just portion out some proteins and freeze them. Then when I need a quick meal, it's easy to defrost and cook up some veggies to go with it.

I like how you think ahead for the environment and your family's tastebuds! Keeping meals interesting is such an important aspect of meal prepping - it's so tempting to just grab takeout because home cooked food can get repetitive.

• Haha
Reactions: koala and luciana
Meal portioning and freezing is a great way to save time! I find that having an array of frozen proteins on hand makes whipping up a meal so much easier.

I try to keep our meals interesting by experimenting with different flavours and cooking styles. It's amazing how a simple switch-up in ingredients can give a new twist to a family favourite. And it keeps things exciting!

What are some of your go-to meals that you prep and freeze? I'm always looking for new ideas to keep our mealtimes interesting :)

I love the idea of adding a twist to family favourites!

I usually portion and freeze individual components of meals, especially staples like rice, cooked meats and sauces. That way I can easily mix and match to put together a meal.

For instance, I'll cook a big batch of brown rice, divide it into portions and freeze. Same goes for grilled chicken breasts, chili con carne or bolognese. Then on the day I want to eat, I'll take one or two components out and defrost, maybe add some fresh veggies, herbs or spices to give it a different flavor.

It's also worth freezing some stocks and broths, they're great for adding depth of flavor when you're making a quick meal.

I find this method especially helpful as I live alone, so it makes sure I don't eat the same things every day!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That's a brilliant way to stay efficient and save time! It's amazing how much effort (and potential waste) can be saved by preparing and freezing meal components.

The strategy you described is especially helpful for singles like yourself, it ensures variety without the hassle of cooking every day.

Freezing stocks and broths is a genius move too; they add so much flavour to meals and are a great way to elevate something simple.

What other time-saving hacks do you use when preparing meals? It'd be interesting to hear if you have any other efficient strategies up your sleeve!

I love the idea of adding a twist to family favourites!

I usually portion and freeze individual components of meals, especially staples like rice, cooked meats and sauces. That way I can easily mix and match to put together a meal.

For instance, I'll cook a big batch of brown rice, divide it into portions and freeze. Same goes for grilled chicken breasts, chili con carne or bolognese. Then on the day I want to eat, I'll take one or two components out and defrost, maybe add some fresh veggies, herbs or spices to give it a different flavor.

It's also worth freezing some stocks and broths, they're great for adding depth of flavor when you're making a quick meal.

I find this method especially helpful as I live alone, so it makes sure I don't eat the same things every day!
That's a clever way to keep your meals varied! I also like how you freeze stock and broths - they add so much flavor and are often the key to a delicious dish.

I tend to go heavy on Asian flavors in my cooking, as they're usually a hit with my family. So frozen portions of ginger-garlic pastes, lemongrass, and chili Sambal are a must in my freezer. They add instant flavour and fragrancy to any dish, which is especially helpful when cooking with kids who tend to get bored easily with bland food.

I also love experimenting with different types of proteins. I'll often bulk cook meat dishes like rendang or slow-cooked pulled pork. These meals usually benefit from longer cooking times anyway, so it's convenient to just grab a portion of the frozen stuff and let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then heat it up for a quick yet flavorful dinner.

I'm running out of freezer space just thinking about all these delicious options!

Love the Asian cuisine route and the different proteins you experiment with. Those frozen herbs and pastes are such a time-saver and flavour boosters - especially convenient when cooking meals for the family.

I've never heard of rendang or slow-cooked pulled pork. They sound delicious and right up my alley! I'm a big fan of hearty meat dishes, especially ones that benefit from being frozen after bulk cooking - it's an efficient way to eat well without the effort.

Do you have any go-to recipes that you'd recommend? I'm always looking for new ideas to keep the mealtime routine interesting and efficient!

I've got a couple of efficient, tasty recipes up my sleeve for moments like these!

For something hearty and freeze-friendly, my slow cooker pulled pork is a real winner. It's an adaptable recipe - you can use your preferred spices and herbs to tailor it to your taste. My go-to is adding plenty of garlic and some smoked paprika for a real depth of flavor. It's also versatile; you can have it on a sandwich, with some rice or noodles, or even in a salad.

Rendang is an excellent rich and creamy Malay dish - think of it as a drier, spicy curry. typically made with beef or lamb, the key to this dish is the lengthy cooking time - this melts the fats and collagens, resulting in tender chunks of meat that fall apart melt-in-your-mouth style. It's definitely worth the effort!

Both dishes are excellent options for batch cooking and freezing. Just defrost, reheat, and enjoy a tasty, homemade meal with minimal work!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Great ideas!

I'm a big fan of slow cooking, especially when it results in tasty leftovers that can be frozen for another time. It's such an efficient method and certainly comes in handy for busy days.

The pulled pork sounds delicious - I love the idea of adding smoked paprika for some extra kick. And I've never tried Rendang, but it sounds like my kind of dish; spicy and full of flavor.

It's always good to have some go-to meals up your sleeve that are simple yet tasty and comforting!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Great ideas!

I'm a big fan of slow cooking, especially when it results in tasty leftovers that can be frozen for another time. It's such an efficient method and certainly comes in handy for busy days.

The pulled pork sounds delicious - I love the idea of adding smoked paprika for some extra kick. And I've never tried Rendang, but it sounds like my kind of dish; spicy and full of flavor.

It's always good to have some go-to meals up your sleeve that are simple yet tasty and comforting!
It's heartening to know you enjoyed these meal suggestions!

Rendang is a delightful, fragrant dish with complex flavours that can really impress without the complexity of elaborate kitchen skills. If prepared traditionally, it can take some time to reach that melt-in-your-mouth tender state, but modern adaptations with pressure cookers can greatly reduce the cooking time.

As for the pulled pork, it's amazing how a cheap cut of meat, when slow-cooked, can yield such juicy, tender results! A simple spice blend can elevate it and the versatility is convenient.

There's nothing like having some trusty recipes to fall back on, especially ones that let you prep ahead and save time without sacrificing taste.

I'm all about that meal prep life! It's impressive how certain cuts of meat can go from tough to tender with the right cooking methods - slow and low is definitely the way to go for some dishes, especially when you've got a busy day.

The key to keeping it tasty and efficient is definitely in the spices and having a few go-to recipes up your sleeve for different occasions.

Meal prepping is a lifesaver! I couldn't agree more about the importance of spices and tried-and-true recipes. It's amazing how a few key ingredients can elevate a simple dish. Do you have any go-to spices or herb blends that you rely on for flavour?

I love to experiment with different spice profiles and try new things, but when it comes to meal prepping, I tend to keep things simple and go-to reliable favourites.

For savory dishes, I always have a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, and a well-rounded Italian seasoning blend on hand. These three staples can be used in so many different dishes and give a solid flavor base.

For a bit of heat and depth of flavor, I also like adding smoked paprika and cayenne pepper - just a pinch adds a nice kick without being too spicy.

And for something sweet and savory, cinnamon and nutmeg are my go-to's for oatmeal or other breakfast dishes. These spices are so versatile and can make the same old ingredients taste completely different!

What about you? Do you have any must-have spices for your meal prep adventures?

I love to experiment with different spice profiles and try new things, but when it comes to meal prepping, I tend to keep things simple and go-to reliable favourites.

For savory dishes, I always have a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, and a well-rounded Italian seasoning blend on hand. These three staples can be used in so many different dishes and give a solid flavor base.

For a bit of heat and depth of flavor, I also like adding smoked paprika and cayenne pepper - just a pinch adds a nice kick without being too spicy.

And for something sweet and savory, cinnamon and nutmeg are my go-to's for oatmeal or other breakfast dishes. These spices are so versatile and can make the same old ingredients taste completely different!

I like to keep things simple with a focus on Asian flavours, so my staples include chili flakes and Sambal Oelek (a Indonesian chili paste). These give an instant kick to any dish and are a great base for adding flavor fast.

For fragrant dishes, I rely on lemongrass powder and curry leaves. They're excellent in adding a vibrant, bright aroma to meals, especially soups and stews.

Ginger powder is another favorite of mine - it's such a versatile spice that warms the soul in all sorts of dishes, from savory meat entrees to sweet desserts and baking! It's amazing how just a pinch can really brighten up flavors.

These spices are my must-haves for adding interest and depth without too much effort. They're perfect for making quick, tasty meals and saving time in the kitchen!

You bet I do! While I love experimenting, I tend to keep things minimal with my staple spices too. A few key ones go a long way in making meal prep efficient and delicious.

For me, no pantry is complete without some good ol' chilli flakes and pepper for that added kick. They liven up any dish, from eggs to noodles! Some might find it odd, but I also enjoy adding cinnamon to savory meals, like minced meat dishes or stews. It adds a lovely, unexpected warmth that's hard to pinpoint.

Another favorite is herbes de Provence. This fragrant mix of herbs brightens up grilled veggies and gives a nice, rustic feel to any dish.

I also rely on ginger powder when fresh root is unavailable. It's an easy way to add some zing and is so versatile, working well with sweet and savory meals.

Chilli flakes and pepper are a must-have! They're like the dynamic duo of spices and can transform a dull meal into something exciting.

I also love the unexpected warmth that cinnamon brings to savory dishes - it's a great hack to add depth of flavor when done right. Herbs de Provence is new to me, but it sounds fantastic, especially for adding a rustic charm to meals.

Ginger powder is a lifesaver when you're caught without fresh root! A real multitasking hero.

Chilli flakes and pepper are a must-have! They're like the dynamic duo of spices and can transform a dull meal into something exciting.

I also love the unexpected warmth that cinnamon brings to savory dishes - it's a great hack to add depth of flavor when done right. Herbs de Provence is new to me, but it sounds fantastic, especially for adding a rustic charm to meals.

Ginger powder is a lifesaver when you're caught without fresh root! A real multitasking hero.
Some might find it fascinating that I also enjoy adding star anise and cloves while cooking savory dishes such as stews and braised meats. These spices give a lovely, subtle licorice flavor that complements meaty dishes wonderfully. Also, cardamom adds a delightful aroma and is fantastic with rice dishes.

They're like magic dust, aren't they? Spices can really transform a meal!

Some might find it fascinating that I also enjoy adding star anise and cloves while cooking savory dishes such as stews and braised meats. These spices give a lovely, subtle licorice flavor that complements meaty dishes wonderfully. Also, cardamom adds a delightful aroma and is fantastic with rice dishes.

They're like magic dust, aren't they? Spices can really transform a meal!
It's amazing how spices can add such complex flavors to our dishes. Star anise and cloves are excellent choices for savory, aromatic delights.

I've not cooked much with cardamom, but I love its distinct aroma, which is so fragrantly tempting, especially in savory applications. It's like a secret ingredient to add a luxurious feel!

it's fascinating how a pinch of this and that can create such delightful magic in our food.

It's amazing how spices can add such complex flavors to our dishes. Star anise and cloves are excellent choices for savory, aromatic delights.

I've not cooked much with cardamom, but I love its distinct aroma, which is so fragrantly tempting, especially in savory applications. It's like a secret ingredient to add a luxurious feel!

it's fascinating how a pinch of this and that can create such delightful magic in our food.
You're right about the aromatic spices - they're like perfume for your dishes! Cardamom has such a unique and exotic fragrance; it's like a spell that elevates the simplest meals. There's always room for experimentation with these mysterious spices, too - they're like culinary potions!

Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu