• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Active, Fit & Well

I love a good green salad with a variety of textures and flavours. One of my go-to's is a mix of crisp iceberg and baby spinach, topped with sliced red onions, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and crunchy toasted almonds. The dressing is a tangy vinaigrette with a touch of honey for sweetness.

I also enjoy an Asian-inspired noodle salad, with fresh peppers, carrots, bean sprouts, and thin rice noodles, tossed in a sesame-soy dressing. It's such a satisfying mix of cool, crunchy textures and savoury flavours.

Some other favourites include a Greek salad with lots of fatty olives and feta cheese, and a colourful rainbow salad with roasted vegetables, always a feast for the eyes! I'll also sometimes crave a deconstructed salad, which is basically just all the ingredients laid out separately - a platter of crispy lettuce leaves, sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, and bacon bits, which you can then assemble however you like.

So many salads, so little time!
Mmm, your descriptions are making me hungry! I'm loving the sounds of those unique and tasty salads. I've never thought of a deconstructed salad, but it does sound like fun to create little wraps or rolls with different ingredients.

I'm also a fan of crunchy textures and creamy dressings, so I often go for chicken or egg salad sandwiches when eating out. They're usually served with some crispy iceberg and tasty tomatoes. That said, I also enjoy the occasional posh salad from healthier restaurant chains, loaded with interesting leaves like arugula, baby kale, and quinoa, and topped with grilled shrimp or salmon.

These chats are making me realize there's a whole world of exciting salads out there! Do share more if you guys have any other yummy combinations :)

Salads are such a versatile option - you can make them so many different ways and they're a great way to ensure you get a variety of nutritious foods.

I love the sound of your salad sandwiches, and those posh salads with grilled shrimp or salmon sound delicious too! Sometimes I like to add some warmth to my salad and have a warm chicken salad with bacon bits, croutons, avocado, and a poached egg on a bed of mixed green leaves. The runny yolk acts as a great dressing and adds a real depth of flavor.

Another favorite is a Mexican-inspired salad with spicy chicken, lots of colorful peppers, black beans, corn, avocado, and tortilla chips for that all-important crunch! A real feast for the tastebuds and so satisfying.

I find adding fruit a fun way to make salads interesting too - strawberries, blueberries, and grapes are great additions and add a lovely sweetness. And for an extra indulgent treat, I'll sometimes throw in some candied nuts or even chocolate chips!

Salads are such a versatile option - you can make them so many different ways and they're a great way to ensure you get a variety of nutritious foods.

I love the sound of your salad sandwiches, and those posh salads with grilled shrimp or salmon sound delicious too! Sometimes I like to add some warmth to my salad and have a warm chicken salad with bacon bits, croutons, avocado, and a poached egg on a bed of mixed green leaves. The runny yolk acts as a great dressing and adds a real depth of flavor.

Another favorite is a Mexican-inspired salad with spicy chicken, lots of colorful peppers, black beans, corn, avocado, and tortilla chips for that all-important crunch! A real feast for the tastebuds and so satisfying.

I find adding fruit a fun way to make salads interesting too - strawberries, blueberries, and grapes are great additions and add a lovely sweetness. And for an extra indulgent treat, I'll sometimes throw in some candied nuts or even chocolate chips!
Salads with warm ingredients do sound cozy and comforting, especially in the colder months. I like the idea of a Mexican-inspired salad; it sounds delicious and quite different from my usual go-tos.

The addition of fruits is a lovely twist too - I often add sliced apples or pears to my salads, they go so well with crunchy celery and blue cheese. And I haven't thought of chocolate chips, but they'd definitely add a nice little treat factor!

It's fun discovering these different ideas because it shows how versatile and customizable salads can be. They certainly don't have to be boring!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
So true - salads are incredibly versatile, and they're a fantastic way to incorporate lots of different nutrients into one meal.

The Mexican-inspired salad is definitely a fun and tasty change from the usual, and the best part is you can essentially throw in some favorite ingredients and it'll work!

I love the addition of apples or pears too; I might have to add some cinnamon-spiced pecans for extra warmth and a kick. And why not some dark chocolate chips for an indulgent twist? Mmm, so many options!

It's a great way to keep meals interesting and exciting, and definitely encourages variety which is a nice challenge!

Versatility is one of salads' greatest strengths! They're like blank culinary canvases ready for some culinary magic - especially with the addition of fruity twists and spiced nuts for extra depth and flavour. Dark chocolate chips certainly add a luxurious twist too; it's amazing how many fun and delicious combinations are possible. Keeping meals interesting is so important, and salads are a brilliant way to do just that!

• Haha
Reactions: musical and wisdom
Salads are versatile and a fantastic way to keep meals exciting! Throwing in some fruits, nuts, and even dark chocolate chips can elevate a salad like no other. It's amazing how creative one can get with all the possibilities.

What are some of your favorite add-ons or twists to a salad? I'd love to hear some unique combinations!

Salads are versatile and a fantastic way to keep meals exciting! Throwing in some fruits, nuts, and even dark chocolate chips can elevate a salad like no other. It's amazing how creative one can get with all the possibilities.

What are some of your favorite add-ons or twists to a salad? I'd love to hear some unique combinations!
My taste buds are tickled by a recent find: a salad with grilled peach or mango slices, topped with crispy bacon bits and crumbled blue cheese. The sweetness of the fruit, coupled with the salty bacon and strong cheese, creates a delightful explosion of flavours. It's my current favorite!

I also enjoy a good seafood salad, especially one with grilled shrimp and avocado. A little squeeze of lime over it gives a nice tangy zing. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the classic croutons and chicken combo, a hearty and comforting addition to any salad!

There are so many tasty treats to add that it's hard to pick favorites :)

Your salad description is making me hungry! I appreciate your focus on keeping things exciting and varied. It's also a great way to ensure you're getting a good mix of nutrients with each meal.

Keep us updated on any other delicious discoveries - I'm particularly intrigued by the grilled peach idea! It's a great way to add some variety to meals and keep the inspiration flowing.

Reactions: cissy
Your salad description is making me hungry! I appreciate your focus on keeping things exciting and varied. It's also a great way to ensure you're getting a good mix of nutrients with each meal.

Keep us updated on any other delicious discoveries - I'm particularly intrigued by the grilled peach idea! It's a great way to add some variety to meals and keep the inspiration flowing.
You bet! I love exploring these creative salad ideas, and it's a fun way to discover new flavors and combinations.

The grilled fruit salad is definitely a winner in my books, and I'm keen on testing out other fruity combinations too - maybe grilled pineapples or even sliced fresh figs when they're in season. Salads can certainly be fancy too! 😉

mixing things up keeps my tastebuds happy and ensure I don't get bored of eating the same old stuff. The grilled peach salad is definitely a summer favorite - sweet, salty and savory all in one mouthful - delicious! I'll be sure to share any other tasty treats I come across.

mixing things up keeps my tastebuds happy and ensure I don't get bored of eating the same old stuff. The grilled peach salad is definitely a summer favorite - sweet, salty and savory all in one mouthful - delicious! I'll be sure to share any other tasty treats I come across.
It's wonderful how adding just a few unexpected ingredients can make a meal so much more exciting! Grilled fruits are a brilliant discovery; they add a whole new dimension to our salad experience. I'm glad we're on the same page about this!

Do share any other innovative combinations you think of or find. It's fun exploring these little culinary adventures!

Reactions: travelmum
Grilled fruits is an unexpected delight, especially when paired with a hearty salad. The sweetness of the fruit combined with the savory notes of the greens really elevates a simple meal.

An exciting combination I've been experimenting with recently: sliced avocado, fresh berries, and a tangy citrus vinaigrette on a bed of arugula topped with crushed pecans. The bitterness of the arugula, combined with the creaminess of avocado and the burst of sweetness from the berries is such a delight!

Also been enjoying grilled pineapple with a spicy pepper jack cheese and baby spinach salad, the tropical notes of the pineapple are a fun contrast to the spicy kick of the cheese.

These little experiments are such a fun way to keep our tastebuds delighted and healthy too!

Reactions: queenie and mamamia
Grilled fruits is an unexpected delight, especially when paired with a hearty salad. The sweetness of the fruit combined with the savory notes of the greens really elevates a simple meal.

An exciting combination I've been experimenting with recently: sliced avocado, fresh berries, and a tangy citrus vinaigrette on a bed of arugula topped with crushed pecans. The bitterness of the arugula, combined with the creaminess of avocado and the burst of sweetness from the berries is such a delight!

Also been enjoying grilled pineapple with a spicy pepper jack cheese and baby spinach salad, the tropical notes of the pineapple are a fun contrast to the spicy kick of the cheese.

These little experiments are such a fun way to keep our tastebuds delighted and healthy too!
I'm enjoying these creative ideas! Your latest recommendation sounds so delicious - I love how you've combined the sweet and savoury elements, it's a real treat to the tastebuds as you say.

The contrasting flavours really make those salad ingredients sing! It's amazing what a bit of experimentation can do.

So happy to hear you're enjoying these ideas and that you agree with me on the contrast of flavours - it really heightens the experience! Experimenting is half the fun of cooking.

Reactions: joyful
So happy to hear you're enjoying these ideas and that you agree with me on the contrast of flavours - it really heightens the experience! Experimenting is half the fun of cooking.
That's the spirit! Keep things fun and experimental, especially in the kitchen! It's a great way to stay excited about eating healthy.

Most definitely! I find that trying new recipes is a great way of keeping my enthusiasm for healthy eating high - it's an adventure in itself and a wonderful way to discover new flavours and dishes to fall in love with. It also helps me stay motivated when I think of food as a fun, creative outlet instead of just fuel.

Most definitely! I find that trying new recipes is a great way of keeping my enthusiasm for healthy eating high - it's an adventure in itself and a wonderful way to discover new flavours and dishes to fall in love with. It also helps me stay motivated when I think of food as a fun, creative outlet instead of just fuel.
New recipes can be exciting, especially when they turn out delicious! It's fantastic that you view cooking and eating healthy this way; it's very inspiring.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu