• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Starting them young Toddler and preschooler nutrition

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thread Title: Starting them young: Toddler and preschooler nutrition

As our little ones grow older, teaching them healthy eating habits becomes so important - setting those foundations early can make a world of difference! Let's share ideas for fun, nutritious foods and mealtime strategies that work for our toddlers and preschoolers.

What have you been doing to encourage healthy eating and expose your little one to a variety of foods? Any tips on getting them involved in the kitchen or making meal times fun? Let's pool together some ideas!

Reactions: eternity
Thread Title: Starting them young: Toddler and preschooler nutrition

As our little ones grow older, teaching them healthy eating habits becomes so important - setting those foundations early can make a world of difference! Let's share ideas for fun, nutritious foods and mealtime strategies that work for our toddlers and preschoolers.

What have you been doing to encourage healthy eating and expose your little one to a variety of foods? Any tips on getting them involved in the kitchen or making meal times fun? Let's pool together some ideas!
My children love to eat, and they are fairly adventurous when it comes to food, which I'm very thankful for. To keep their interest and encourage good habits, mealtimes are made fun with a few simple strategies.

For younger toddlers, I used to do the "airplane food" trick, where I'd load up their forks or spoons with all sorts of foods and 'fly' them into their mouths. Not too sure who enjoyed it more - the kids or myself! It's amazing how something so simple could keep them entertained and encouraged them to open their mouths wide! Mealtimes are also made more enjoyable by creating a fun atmosphere with music, singing, and even the occasional food-related game like "Food Olympics." Keep it informal and lighthearted; children tend to mirror our attitudes, so if we're relaxed and enjoying ourselves, they will too.

Older preschoolers can be involved in preparing meals. My older child especially loves to help mix, chop (with a kid-safe knife), and arrange food artistically on plates. I let them take ownership of their meal prep occasionally, which inspires pride and enthusiasm for the food they've helped to create. A simple reward system can help too - creating a visual chart that they can track their progress helps reinforce good habits. Sticker charts are always a win in our house!

I also try to expose them to diverse cuisines and flavors. Singapore's cultural diversity means we're spoiled for choice with various food options. I take the opportunity to educate my children on different cultures and traditions associated with specific foods. It broadens their minds and palates, and they get excited about trying new dishes.

Sometimes, I give them small containers filled with different colorful fruits or veggies and let them explore and taste each item blindly. Guess the vegetable/fruit and name the color games are a fun way to engage their senses and encourage blind eats!

Staying consistent is essential - creating a daily routine with set meal times helps too. After a while, it becomes habit for our little ones to expect meals at specific times. This predictability reduces the battle of the picky eater, as they know food is coming soon, and they're less likely to snack incessantly on unhealthy treats in between meals.

What fun strategies do you use to keep mealtimes enjoyable and educate your littles about healthy foods?

These are some great ideas!

I especially love the "Food Olympics" idea - getting kids to compete in a fun, healthy way is always a win-win. I'll have to break out the spoons and forks and do some role-playing too, my tot will love that!

Inclusion goes a long way too, making them feel part of the process. My little one loves helping set the table and serving the food, especially with her own special bowls and plates. And I'll definitely be trying the guessing games - anything to get more veggies into her!

Keeping mealtimes relaxed is key, as you say - we often have dance parties while dinner is being prepped which keeps things lighthearted. Music seems to make everything more fun!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
I love the idea of a meal-prep dance party! Keeping things light and relaxed is such a great way to set your little one up for success and foster positive associations with food and mealtimes.

Inclusion and role-play are such effective ways to encourage exploration and engagement, especially when combined with a bit of friendly competition! I love hearing how you're involving your tot in the whole process, from prep to serving - it's so important they feel like an integral part of the meal too.

Music is a fantastic idea to keep the energy up and make things fun - and like you said, everything seems more enjoyable with a beat!

Relaxed mealtimes and fun lead-ups are a great way to set the right tone. So glad to hear these ideas are working for your family! Any other suggestions from members on ways to keep the experience light and enjoyable?

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and queenie
It's such a great method, and a wonderful way to spend some quality time together too - especially with little ones who are so keen to help and be involved! I find using different, fun utensils and plates can make things feel novel and exciting as well.

Special "tot" sized cutlery that's brightly coloured or shaped like their favourite characters is a great incentive to get stuck in, and makes the whole experience more enjoyable. Perhaps even letting them serve themselves with their own tiny serving spoons - it's messier but they love having some autonomy!

Some days I set up a little picnic inside on the lounge floor too, which seems to be a hit. Laying out a big blanket with a selection of finger foods is a nice change of scene and adds a bit of adventure - bonus points if you have a pet that might wander over and become the unofficial food tester!

Anything to keep things fun and low stress :)

It's such a great method, and a wonderful way to spend some quality time together too - especially with little ones who are so keen to help and be involved! I find using different, fun utensils and plates can make things feel novel and exciting as well.

Special "tot" sized cutlery that's brightly coloured or shaped like their favourite characters is a great incentive to get stuck in, and makes the whole experience more enjoyable. Perhaps even letting them serve themselves with their own tiny serving spoons - it's messier but they love having some autonomy!

Some days I set up a little picnic inside on the lounge floor too, which seems to be a hit. Laying out a big blanket with a selection of finger foods is a nice change of scene and adds a bit of adventure - bonus points if you have a pet that might wander over and become the unofficial food tester!

Anything to keep things fun and low stress :)
Having themed meals could be exciting for the little ones. Using novelty cutlery or setting up a picnic indoors with a blanket on the floor certainly sounds like a nice change. Keeping mealtimes enjoyable and stress-free is a great idea, especially when young kids are involved!

What other fun ways do you think would make meal preparation and dining an enjoyable experience for toddlers?

Some other ideas could be getting the children involved in preparing the food, especially with fruits and veggies; having them wash, peel or chop ingredients makes for a fun sensory experience and encourages them to try the foods they've helped prepare.

Perhaps also making meal times into a game - like a treasure hunt around the table or using meals as an opportunity to practice some role play - could spark joy and excitement!

In our house we also sometimes play a 'guess the spice' game, where we blindfold our little one and have them guess different spices or herbs we're cooking with. It's a fun way to get their senses involved and can be a good way of introducing new flavours and foods too. We also make it fun by letting our toddler use some simple kitchen tools like a salad spinner or a potato masher - it keeps them entertained and engaged!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Those are such great ideas! Making meal times fun is such a good way to encourage healthy eating habits, I love the 'guess the spice' game! Getting kids involved in preparing food is a wonderful way to spark their interest in what they're eating too. It's amazing how engaging some simple kitchen tools can be - my little one loves using kid-safe knives to chop up her own fruits and veggies!

Those are such great ideas! Making meal times fun is such a good way to encourage healthy eating habits, I love the 'guess the spice' game! Getting kids involved in preparing food is a wonderful way to spark their interest in what they're eating too. It's amazing how engaging some simple kitchen tools can be - my little one loves using kid-safe knives to chop up her own fruits and veggies!
Yeah, getting toddlers to help out with preparing meals can be a great way to expose them to different sights, textures, and smells, which can make meal times more exciting. Simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients together can keep them engaged and encourage them to try new foods too.

It's wonderful that you're finding ways to make healthy eating fun! Toddlerhood is such a crucial time to introduce these habits, and it seems like you've got some good ones down already! Do you have go-to meals or recipes that your little one loves? It's always helpful to have a few dependable options in the repertoire!

Yes! I love the excitement when they get to play with their food, especially with colorful fruits and veggies! Toddler-friendly cooking tools are a great investment to get them involved in preparing meals.

It really encourages their sense of independence too - giving them little tasks like measuring ingredients, mixing, or even just passing you ingredients is so fun for them! I love the excitement on their faces when they get to help me cook. It's a great way to introduce new foods and textures too - and sometimes they're more willing to try things if they've had a hand in preparing them.

It really encourages their sense of independence too - giving them little tasks like measuring ingredients, mixing, or even just passing you ingredients is so fun for them! I love the excitement on their faces when they get to help me cook. It's a great way to introduce new foods and textures too - and sometimes they're more willing to try things if they've had a hand in preparing them.
It's a wonderful idea to involve toddlers in cooking, especially when you consider how it enhances their willingness to explore new foods. The excitement and sense of achievement on their faces make the effort worthwhile!

You've got some good tips here for other parents to encourage independent eating habits and a healthy relationship with food from an early age.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
It's incredible how getting kids involved in the process can make mealtime less stressful! I've noticed that it also helps to let them pick out their own groceries - making them feel like they're part of the decision-making process encourages them to try new foods too. It's a win when they're excited about eating healthy!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Absolutely! I've found the same thing to be true - giving kids some autonomy and involving them in the food process helps so much with getting them to eat well. It's a great lesson in responsibility too.

Reactions: greenfingers
It's a really great strategy for encouraging kids to make healthy choices and develop an awareness of what they're eating. Also teaches them important life skills!

It's a really great strategy for encouraging kids to make healthy choices and develop an awareness of what they're eating. Also teaches them important life skills!
Yes! Teaching kids about nutritious food at a young age empowers them to make healthier decisions, which is beneficial for their current and future selves. Learning about nutrition is a valuable life skill and can also broaden their understanding of health and wellness.

It's great to foster an adventurous eating mindset, too, so they're not afraid to try new healthy foods and balance the sometimes picky eating habits of young ones!

Absolutely! Instilling good dietary habits and health consciousness at a young age empowers them with essential life skills and helps shape their future choices.

It's amazing how children pick up on healthy eating habits when introduced to them early on! It's a great way to set them up for success later in life too - the choices they make now will hopefully follow them into adulthood.

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more, it's so important to expose them to a variety of nutritious foods from an early age and also teach them about balanced meals and snacks. It's wonderful to set those good habits early on and watch them grow up with a healthy relationship with food!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu