• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a solo parent can certainly come with its own set of challenges and triumphs. It's an opportunity to connect with other parents who may share similar experiences. Whether you're a seasoned solo parent or just starting out on this journey, let's share our stories, offer support and encouragement, and gain some helpful tips along the way.

What brought each of us to this point of solo parenting? Situations differ, but it'd be interesting to hear how life as a solo parent evolved for others. I'll start - became a single parent by choice, and while it was a hard adjustment at first, seeing my child develop into such a wonderful human makes it all worthwhile.

Reactions: joyful
Being a solo parent can certainly come with its own set of challenges and triumphs. It's an opportunity to connect with other parents who may share similar experiences. Whether you're a seasoned solo parent or just starting out on this journey, let's share our stories, offer support and encouragement, and gain some helpful tips along the way.

What brought each of us to this point of solo parenting? Situations differ, but it'd be interesting to hear how life as a solo parent evolved for others. I'll start - became a single parent by choice, and while it was a hard adjustment at first, seeing my child develop into such a wonderful human makes it all worthwhile.
My husband passed away in an accident three years ago, and suddenly I was solo parenting with a one-year-old toddler. The experience was devastating and unpredictable, to say the least. You quickly learn to adapt, pick up new skills, and realize the incredible resilience within us parents. Some days are definitely tougher than others, but my son's laughter and milestones keep me going. It's encouraging to know we're not alone in this situation and connecting with other solo parents helps to stay sane!

My story's quite different - I never envisioned myself as a sole parent, but when my marriage fell apart, I knew I had no choice but to go it alone. It was incredibly daunting, especially with two young kids, but like you, watching them grow up strong and resilient makes every difficult moment so worth it.

My story's a little different. I'm married, but my husband passed away in an accident three years ago, and I've been raising our two kids alone ever since. It's been tough, especially with work and finding that balance, but you're right; seeing them grow up and develop their own personalities makes all the late nights and worries worthwhile.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

I'm Evelyn, a solo parent living in Singapore. My situation is probably quite common here - my husband passed away four years ago, and I've been raising my son alone ever since.

It's certainly a juggle, especially as I also work full-time, but you adapt and figure out a new normal. At first, the days were a blur of grief, exhaustion and an intense worry that I wouldn't be able to provide for my little one emotionally and physically. But gradually, we found our groove. Honestly, it's been a joy to watch my son grow into such a fun, curious, little human. He's six now, and while I know he misses having a dad, we've created a cozy little life together.

I'm lucky that I have supportive parents who help out when they can, and of course, there are challenges - like when illnesses strike or emergency repair bills crop up. But you learn to budget time and money differently, and somehow, it all works out.

It's great to connect with other solo parents and hear your stories too. Parenting solo definitely comes with its own unique challenges, but the wins are so worthwhile.

I married young, thinking it was the right thing to do, but soon realized it was a mistake. After a nasty divorce, I was granted full custody of my son since his father hardly fought for him. Being a single mom wasn't my plan, but rather than dwell on the hardship, I embraced it and focused on giving my son the best life possible. It hasn't been easy, but watching him grow up strong and kind makes all the sacrifice worth it.

Same here! After a painful separation, I realized being a solo parent was the best option for myself and my little one. It definitely has its ups and downs, but watching my child grow and thrive makes all the late nights and endless days worthwhile. I feel proud that I can provide a loving home even as a single mom.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

My ex-husband's idea of being a dad meant showing up only when it's convenient for him - and that was hardly ever. So, I knew it'd be a much better experience raising our son alone. It has its difficulties, especially financially, but I sure as hell don't miss his deadbeat ass.

I got divorced after 3 years of marriage due to irreconcilable differences. It was a nasty separation filled with lots of arguments, and being a solo parent was never part of my plan A. But here I am, 2 years later, loving every difficult moment because the payoffs are immense - watching your little one grow up knowing you've got this! Strengthens your bond like nothing else.

I'm a recently divorced mum after a 20-year marriage. My ex took off with a younger model so didn't have a choice but to go solo. Raising a teenage son who's got his own set of issues wasn't easy, especially since he's at that age where he's got a mind of his own and questions my authority daily, but seeing him grow into a respectful young man is what keeps me going.

My story's a bit unique, like you said, different strokes for different folks. I never imagined myself being a solo parent, but here I am, embracing the ride of my life!

I was in a committed relationship and never really planned on having kids; my partner felt differently. After much contemplation, I agreed, thinking it'd be nice to have another little person to share experiences with. But things didn't go quite as expected - the dad dipped out when he found out the news, citing immaturity and not being ready for fatherhood. So here I am, unexpectedly embracing solo parenting from the get-go, but determined to give my child all the love they'll need!

It's challenging, tiring, and at times, overwhelming, but also incredibly fulfilling. Watching your kid grow, learning new things daily, and knowing you're doing this all by yourself (with some help from family and friends) is a feeling like no other.

What about you guys? How did you end up on this path?

My husband passed away in an accident three years ago, and suddenly I was solo parenting with a one-year-old toddler. The experience was devastating and unpredictable, to say the least. You quickly learn to adapt, pick up new skills, and realize the incredible resilience within us parents. Some days are definitely tougher than others, but my son's laughter and milestones keep me going. It's encouraging to know we're not alone in this situation and connecting with other solo parents helps to stay sane!
That's devastating; my deepest condolences. It's admirable how you've stepped up and discovered resilience through this challenging journey. The laughs and joy our children bring do make everything worth it. Supporting each other is a great way for us solo parents not to feel so alone.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
You have my condolences for the loss of your spouse. It's true that parents in this situation often don't have the luxury of time to grieve; we simply have to keep going for the sake of our children. Solo parenting definitely brings out the lioness or lion in us!

My story's quite different - I never envisioned myself as a sole parent, but when my marriage fell apart, I knew I had no choice but to go it alone. It was incredibly daunting, especially with two young kids, but like you, watching them grow up strong and resilient makes every difficult moment so worth it.
The fear and anxiety that come with being solely responsible for two young lives must have been overwhelming during the early stages. I'm impressed by your fortitude! Divorces are usually messy, so kudos to you for focusing on what's best for your kids amidst the storm.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
It's amazing how we adapt to our new normal, isn't it? When you have no other option, you just rise up to the challenge, especially when you have little ones depending on you. I'm glad we're here to support each other and share our stories; it helps remind us that we're not alone in this solo parenting adventure!

You're right; it's a stark realization when circumstances unexpectedly thrust us into solo parenting. It takes time to adapt to the new normal, and the juggle is real with young kids in the mix! Glad to hear your little ones are doing well, growing up resilient. Does anyone else here have multiple children as a sole parent? That in itself must present some interesting challenges!

You're right; it's comforting to know we're not alone in our struggles. It's a challenging journey, but it moulds us into the resilient people we never thought we could be.

That's encouraging to hear that you're doing your best despite your marriage falling apart. The fear of the unknown future ahead, especially when there are young ones involved, is daunting. kudos to you! It's great that you're focusing on the silver linings and finding strength in your children's development despite the challenging circumstances.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wellness
You're right about the daunting feeling - it's really not easy, managing work, household chores and being the sole provider of emotional support. But we do what we must, and our children's development gives us that extra energy when we're running on empty.

My story's a little different. I'm married, but my husband passed away in an accident three years ago, and I've been raising our two kids alone ever since. It's been tough, especially with work and finding that balance, but you're right; seeing them grow up and develop their own personalities makes all the late nights and worries worthwhile.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That must have been incredibly difficult, grief on top of the challenge of becoming a solo parent. I imagine it's hard to manage work and parenting alone - do you have any family nearby who can help out? Or do you have a network of solo parents you've formed here locally in Singapore? The early years are definitely daunting, but it sounds like you're doing an amazing job!

• Haha
Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu