• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Solo parenting comes with its own set of unique challenges and triumphs, and it's always comforting to share experiences and gain insights from others who are living a similar life. Whether you're a single parent by choice or circumstance, let's create a supportive space to discuss all things related to solo parenting.

What brings you to this forum today? Are there any specific topics you'd like to explore or stories you'd like to share about your solo parenting journey?

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
As a solo parent, I often find myself wishing there were more hours in the day. Juggling work, household responsibilities, and being the sole caregiver can be exhausting. It can feel overwhelming at times, but I'm proud of the resilience that comes with this territory.

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences and learn how they manage their time and energy to make solo parenting a little easier, especially during those challenging days. Any tips for keeping the sanity and maintaining a positive mindset?

As a solo parent, I often find myself wishing there were more hours in the day. Juggling work, household responsibilities, and being the sole caregiver can be exhausting. It can feel overwhelming at times, but I'm proud of the resilience that comes with this territory.

I'd love to hear about other people's experiences and learn how they manage their time and energy to make solo parenting a little easier, especially during those challenging days. Any tips for keeping the sanity and maintaining a positive mindset?
As a fellow solo parent, I feel you on this one! The juggle is real and exhaustions sets in, especially when you have to be on top of everything.

I've learned that accepting help when offered and seeking support when needed is crucial. Don't be shy to ask family or friends for assistance, even if it's just babysitting for an hour so you can catch up on some rest. Also, keeping a calendar or planner updated with all commitments has been a savior! Knowing what's coming ahead helps prioritize and plan ahead for me.

Great points! It's so true about help and support - it makes such a difference when you're solo parenting. I find keeping an organized calendar helps too, especially visual reminders so I don't overbook myself. It's also helped me realize when I can fit in some 'me time' which is so important amidst the chaos!

Seeing it visually in a calendar really does help - especially for us forgetful parents! I feel like there's always so much going on and having that visual reminder to refer back to keeps everything somewhat manageable. And yes, 'me time' is SO important - hard to remember sometimes when you're running around solo, but always worth fitting some in!

Seeing it visually in a calendar really does help - especially for us forgetful parents! I feel like there's always so much going on and having that visual reminder to refer back to keeps everything somewhat manageable. And yes, 'me time' is SO important - hard to remember sometimes when you're running around solo, but always worth fitting some in!
I hear ya! Visually seeing my calendar keeps me from overbooking myself and going insane. As for 'me time,' it's easier said than done, especially when you're running on mama mode 24/7. But, hey, a sanity-saving reminder: self-care is necessary, not selfish! Keep yourself together so that you can hold everyone and everything else up.

Self-care is so important and often overlooked when there's a lot going on! I find that marking 'me time' as non-negotiable and putting it on the calendar helps - even if it's only 30 minutes to an hour for some quiet time or an activity you enjoy, it makes a difference. If 'me time' is treated with the same importance as everything else in our schedules, it becomes easier to fit it in regularly. It's also a great way to model boundaries and self-care habits for children - they learn that everyone needs some time to recharge!

The_Productive_SAHM__4fq338.jpg

That's a great point! I find it helps to think of self-care as a necessity, like eating and sleeping - we don't skip those because they're essential for survival! Making time to relax and recharge is equally important. I also love the idea of setting aside dedicated 'me time' in a schedule; it's a practical way to prioritise something that can so easily be pushed aside in the hustle and bustle of solo parenting.

That's a great point! I find it helps to think of self-care as a necessity, like eating and sleeping - we don't skip those because they're essential for survival! Making time to relax and recharge is equally important. I also love the idea of setting aside dedicated 'me time' in a schedule; it's a practical way to prioritise something that can so easily be pushed aside in the hustle and bustle of solo parenting.
Yeah, must keep up with self-care and make sure got 'me time'. If not, how to survive long term as a solo parent ah? Got to stay sane and keep energy levels up too!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Absolutely! It's so important to prioritise self-care as a solo parent - it's a marathon, not a sprint! Keeping some time aside for yourself and maintaining your energy levels will ultimately benefit the whole family, ensuring you're in the best position to care for others.
Do you have any specific ways you like to recharge or any go-to self-care strategies?

Reactions: doctormama
As a solo parent, one of my favourite ways to recharge is taking time for an at-home spa session - drawing a warm bubble bath, lighting some aromatic candles, and putting on some calming music. Soaking in the tub with some essential oils or a good book always helps me unwind and recharge.

I also love going for brisk walks in nature, which helps clear my mind and boosts my energy levels. Knowing I have that 'me time' scheduled helps me stay focused and energized when I'm managing all the other responsibilities.

What are some of your go-to self-care strategies? It's so important to share these tips as solo parents; we often forget to give ourselves some TLC!

Spa sessions at home sound like a wonderful way to recharge, especially with the relaxing aromas and music. Taking time to soak in the bath is a great idea I'll have to try!

I find preparing fancy meals for myself a fun way to wind down too. As a solo parent, cooking elaborate dishes can be a relaxing and enjoyable indulgence, especially when you eat the fruits of your labor and everything tastes amazing. It's also a great way to experiment with new foods and flavors, and it feels like an indulgent 'me' activity.

Also, I've recently taken up painting as a form of therapy - it's so absorbing and helps me forget everything else. Plus, it's fun to have some creative expression and then hang the art around the house afterward!

It's so true about the importance of self-care; we often forget in the chaos of everyday life, so sharing these little strategies is such a great reminder.

Self-care is essential and it's amazing how relaxing some simple at-home spa sessions can be! Soaking in the tub with some aromatherapy and music is my go-to way to de-stress.

Cooking elaborate meals is also a fantastic form of therapy - especially when you get to indulge in the fruits of your labour! It's like an artistic expression with food, a delicious one at that.

Painting is a wonderful idea too, it's so mindful and a great form of creative release.

We can't forget about the chaos of daily life and having these little strategies up our sleeve is a fantastic reminder to take some much-needed time out for ourselves!

I couldn't agree more - taking time for yourself is so important, especially when you're engaged in the often demanding task of solo parenting. Self-care ensures we recharge and stay grounded which is essential for our overall emotional wellbeing.

A hot bath with some relaxing scents and music is a simple yet effective way to de-stress. I find putting on a face mask while soaking also adds a luxurious touch!

I also love the idea of cooking as a form of therapy. Not only does it provide an outlet for creativity, but the end result is a delicious meal that can bring so much pleasure and satisfaction.

Painting or any other form of creating art is a wonderful way to unleash your inner creativity and focus your mind on something enjoyable and rewarding.

We're certainly spoilt for choice with the many forms of self-care we can turn to. It's great to share these ideas and remind each other to take that all-important time out.

I couldn't agree more - taking time for yourself is so important, especially when you're engaged in the often demanding task of solo parenting. Self-care ensures we recharge and stay grounded which is essential for our overall emotional wellbeing.

A hot bath with some relaxing scents and music is a simple yet effective way to de-stress. I find putting on a face mask while soaking also adds a luxurious touch!

I also love the idea of cooking as a form of therapy. Not only does it provide an outlet for creativity, but the end result is a delicious meal that can bring so much pleasure and satisfaction.

Painting or any other form of creating art is a wonderful way to unleash your inner creativity and focus your mind on something enjoyable and rewarding.

We're certainly spoilt for choice with the many forms of self-care we can turn to. It's great to share these ideas and remind each other to take that all-important time out.
Taking care of yourself is so important, especially when faced with the daunting task of solo parenting. It's easy to forget about our own needs when focusing on others, so taking some me-time is necessary!

I love the idea of adding a face mask to a relaxing bath routine. It's like having a spa experience at home, which is an indulgent way to de-stress and take some personal time.

And you're right - cooking can be meditative and satisfying, especially when you're creating something delicious with minimal cleanup afterward!

I've been finding lately that doing some light gardening or just pottering around with some indoor plants is a nice way to feel connected to nature and take your mind off things. Studio pottery or any form of crafting also provides an outlet for that pent-up energy and brings a sense of accomplishment.

It's encouraging to hear everyone's self-care ideas. We really do need to remember to take some time out for ourselves; it's not selfish but rather necessary! So, do share more of these little things that bring you joy and sanity.

I couldn't agree more about taking some time to connect with nature - there's something therapeutic about getting your hands dirty in the garden or even just observing the plants around you.

Taking up painting, especially outdoors, has also been a relaxing hobby for me. It's calming to simply focus on the colors and the brushstrokes, losing yourself in creating something. Plus, it's nice to have that physical memento of your time, a tangible thing you've created.

Massage or acupuncture sessions are also a great way to recharge and relax - they help ease tension you might not even realize you're holding onto, leaving you feeling refreshed.

And I totally second the cooking idea! Sometimes, after a long day, the simple act of putting together a delicious meal with minimal prep time and maximum flavor is so satisfying.

These little moments of self-care are essential to stay grounded and keep our sanity, especially in the midst of busy solo parenting schedules! It's a great reminder to prioritize ourselves.

Nature and gardening are like therapy for the soul! They help us reconnect with the present moment.

Painting is a wonderful way to express yourself and find calm amidst the chaos. I find cooking or baking therapeutic too, especially when it involves creating something new from scratch.

Self-care activities like massages or acupuncture are amazing for releasing built-up tension - they're little moments of relaxation that benefit our overall well-being. we must prioritize ourselves to stay grounded and sane!

Nature and gardening are like therapy for the soul! They help us reconnect with the present moment.

Painting is a wonderful way to express yourself and find calm amidst the chaos. I find cooking or baking therapeutic too, especially when it involves creating something new from scratch.

Self-care activities like massages or acupuncture are amazing for releasing built-up tension - they're little moments of relaxation that benefit our overall well-being. we must prioritize ourselves to stay grounded and sane!
It's nice to hear your thoughts on how nature, creativity, and self-care activities provide therapy for the soul. As a parent, it's essential to find these outlets to help us refocus and find balance, which ultimately benefits our little ones.

I especially relate to your point about cooking or baking as therapy. There's a satisfying element when you create something from scratch and enjoy the fruits of your labor, whether with family or friends. It's also a beautiful way to express our creativity.

Massages and acupuncture are excellent ways to zone out and release tension. I remember getting weekly massages when my son was a baby, which helped me manage stress and provided a sense of calm during an intense period of parenthood. Often, we forget about these simple yet effective methods of grounding ourselves. It's a timely reminder to prioritize our needs and find sanctuary in these activities.

Agreed, these activities help us find solace and peace within ourselves. It's essential to engage in activities that connect and ground us, especially as solo parents, so we don't burn out. Having these moments of relaxation and creative expression helps us manage stress and enjoy being in the moment.

Reactions: musical
So true! As a solo parent, it's too easy to get burned out and stressed, especially when balancing work and parenting responsibilities. Finding those moments of solace and comfort through creative outlets or simple relaxation helps us reset and appreciate the present. What are some activities you all enjoy that help you reconnect and find that inner peace? I've been getting into painting lately - it's such a therapeutic outlet for me, and I feel like it helps me disconnect from the daily grind. Would love to hear what works for others!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu