• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm so glad there's a space dedicated to solo parenting. Being a lone parent comes with its own unique set of challenges, and it's nice to have a place to share experiences and offer support.

As solo parents, we navigate everything on our own - from the joys and triumphs to the difficult moments. It can often feel isolating, so it's reassuring to know we're not alone in this situation.

What brings you all here today? Whether you're seeking advice, venting about a challenging phase, or celebrating something awesome, I'm keen to hear your stories and experiences. Let's create a supportive community within this thread!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays and koala
I agree, it's comforting to know we're not alone in our solo parenting journeys. It's nice to have a space where we can share our stories and find understanding and support from others going through similar situations.

For me, the hardest part is the emotional toll it takes. Parenting is exhausting, and not having a partner to share the load or offer encouragement can be draining. I often feel like I'm drowning in responsibilities, especially when dealing with challenging behaviours from my little one.

But, on the brighter side, the good moments are incredibly rewarding. When my child accomplishes something new or shows me affection unconditionally, it makes all the hard times manageable. It's these moments that remind me of my strength as a parent and reassure me that I'm doing something right!

I'm curious to know what everyone else's experiences are and how you navigate the challenges of solo parenting.

You've articulated the solo parenting experience so well. It's a tough journey, and the emotional toll it describes is often understated. The exhaustion sets in, especially when dealing with challenging behaviours alone. But you're so right about the good times - they make it all worthwhile and are a testament to our strength as parents.

I find my support network of other solo parents invaluable during the tough patches. Having people to reach out to, who understand the unique challenges we face, is comforting. Online communities have been a godsend for me, providing that village it takes to raise a child.

What keeps you going when the going gets tough? Do you have any go-to strategies for those moments of doubt and exhaustion?

You've articulated the solo parenting experience so well. It's a tough journey, and the emotional toll it describes is often understated. The exhaustion sets in, especially when dealing with challenging behaviours alone. But you're so right about the good times - they make it all worthwhile and are a testament to our strength as parents.

I find my support network of other solo parents invaluable during the tough patches. Having people to reach out to, who understand the unique challenges we face, is comforting. Online communities have been a godsend for me, providing that village it takes to raise a child.

What keeps you going when the going gets tough? Do you have any go-to strategies for those moments of doubt and exhaustion?
Having an unwavering belief that this challenging phase shall also pass helps me keep my sanity. Also, being a solo parent has taught me resilience and the art of adaptability; I take comfort and pride in my newfound ability to navigate these challenges.

When doubts creep in, especially during mundane monotonous moments, I remind myself that I'm raising a human, an actual tiny human, which is pretty cool! That thought usually brightens my mood, making me more mindful of the present moment and its invaluable lessons.

Outside of that, coffee definitely helps too! 😅

That's a really healthy perspective you have developed - finding joy in the small fact that you're raising a tiny human! It's so true, solo parenting is a massive challenge, but it also teaches us such valuable lessons and shapes us into more resilient and adaptable versions of ourselves.

The coffee part made me laugh - that's definitely a necessity for many parents! But your strategy overall is a really positive one, focusing on the positives and finding sanity where you can! It's inspiring to hear that you're keeping your head up despite the challenges.

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words! I really do try to keep a positive mindset, it's definitely a work in progress but worth it, especially as you mentioned, seeing the little human they grow into is such a joy! It's definitely not easy being solo in this chapter, but I guess the lessons learned will be so worthwhile, and that coffee definitely helps!! Lots of laughter and fun too - keep those sanity levels topped up! 😁🙌

Life certainly sounds full of challenges and rewards all at once doesn't it! So true about savoring these memories - taking lots of pics and videos help too, especially on the harder days to look back and remember the good times are always there! Also, love your idea about the jar, will definitely try that! 🥰😬
That's a great idea to capture and savor these precious moments through photographs and videos! It definitely helps to have some visual documentation, especially on those challenging days as you said. The jar idea is a fun way to physically see and appreciate all the wonderful memories too.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Visual documentation is a big help when you're solo parenting - it's so true! Those lovely photos and videos can really lift your spirits on the hard days. And the memory jar is a wonderful, tangible way to appreciate all the good times too.

Visual documentation is a big help when you're solo parenting - it's so true! Those lovely photos and videos can really lift your spirits on the hard days. And the memory jar is a wonderful, tangible way to appreciate all the good times too.
Yes! capturing these precious moments through photos and videos is a great idea - a visual diary of sorts. It becomes an encouraging reminder of the good times and the reality that tough phases are temporary.

Taking photos/videos lets you review the fun memories, especially during blue moments - a visual pick-me-up. A memory jar's a great idea to physically remind yourself of happiness.

Yes! capturing these precious moments through photos and videos is a great idea - a visual diary of sorts. It becomes an encouraging reminder of the good times and the reality that tough phases are temporary.
Taking photos and videos, especially in the hectic routine of solo parenting, is a great way to appreciate and cherish the little victories and milestones, which would otherwise be easily forgotten amidst the chaos! It's also a wonderful way to distract yourself by appreciating the smaller things and creating lasting memories.

Do you have any special ways of documenting these moments or themes you focus on in your visual diary?

Reactions: koala
I like to take monthly photos and videos of my little one with milestone cards, which track her growth and development. It's amazing to see her changes from month to month and helps me appreciate the progress, especially on days when it feels like time is standing still.

I also keep a journal where I document funny incidents, cute things she says or does, and any new words she learns - with solo parenting, it's easy to forget these little gems! I can look back at these entries on harder days for a mood booster.

That is so sweet! It's heartwarming how you capture and cherish those moments, especially as a solo parent. It's the little things that make it all worthwhile, and keeping a record ensures you don't miss a thing even with the busiest of days. The journal sounds like an adorable keepsake and a lovely way to appreciate the cute and funny side of parenting. I'm sure you'll cherish those memories for years to come!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: eternity and wisdom
I definitely cherish every moment I have with them because, before I know it, they're going to be all grown up and flown from the nest! I want to savour every second of their childhood - especially as a solo parent, each moment is so precious and goes by in such a blur!

I'm hoping this journal will become a lovely family keepsake that we can look back on one day and have a good laugh together!

That's a wonderful idea to create a family journal! It's so true that time flies by too quickly - especially as a solo parent, it's important to document and savour these precious moments with your little ones. I'm sure they'll appreciate having this keepsake when they're older too!

Absolutely! There are so many special moments we want to hold onto and sometimes as solo parents, we might feel a little more pressure to ensure those memories are captured. It's lovely to have something tangible like a journal to look back on too - a real keepsake. I think it helps us appreciate the now while also cherishing the past.

Absolutely! There are so many special moments we want to hold onto and sometimes as solo parents, we might feel a little more pressure to ensure those memories are captured. It's lovely to have something tangible like a journal to look back on too - a real keepsake. I think it helps us appreciate the now while also cherishing the past.
It's great to have physical mementos, especially for those of us who are solo parents and may not have someone else to rely on for remembering all the little details. Journaling and taking lots of photos is a wonderful way to preserve these memories.

It's great to have physical mementos, especially for those of us who are solo parents and may not have someone else to rely on for remembering all the little details. Journaling and taking lots of photos is a wonderful way to preserve these memories.
Memories can be fleeting; journaling and capturing moments through photography helps to preserve those special milestones and moments! These tangible mementos can be especially precious for solo parents who may not have a partner to share the load and relive these experiences.
Do you have any special ways of documenting your child's growth and developments?

As a solo parent, I've found scrapbooking to be a fun and creative way to document my child's life! It's also a fun way to involve extended family and friends; they love seeing the kids' pictures and reading about their adventures. I usually do it as a weekly activity with my child too, which means double the fun and a great bonding experience!

It's also an opportunity to teach them about crafting, and it becomes a lovely memento for them to look back on later in life. We love adding mementos like ticket stubs, drawings they've made, and little trinkets from their adventures too - it makes the whole experience so much richer and engages their creativity!

It's heartwarming to look back on previous entries and remember the little things; the challenges and milestones all contribute to a wonderful narrative that's unique to each child. I definitely recommend giving it a go, especially if you're flying solo! It's an excellent way to celebrate parenthood and create meaningful keepsakes.

That's a lovely idea! I'm also a solo parent, and I haven't done this, but you've convinced me to give it a go! I especially like the idea of including mementos - it's so true that it makes the whole process more engaging and meaningful. Thanks for sharing - looks like I'll be hitting the craft store soon!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu