• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting Support

One of my personal favorite budgeting tactics is to utilize the envelope system for variable expenses like groceries and fuel. Enforce discipline by setting a clear budget and withdrawing corresponding cash amounts weekly or monthly. It's amazing how quickly you learn restraint when faced with dwindling physical cash! Also, think bulk cooking meals and finding entertainment that doesn't break the bank - think libraries, parks, free community events, etc., instead of costly activities. And if shopping is unavoidable, I use apps that help me compare prices and locate the best deals.
Using envelops for budgeting is such a practical method which forces you to be mindful of remaining cash.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: joyful and wisdom
Yup! It's helpful to have varied insights and experiences shared in one place. It makes us feel like we're not alone in this solo parenthood journey, even if we don't have the physical support around us.
That's the power of the internet for ya - Connecting folks from all walks of life! There's always someone who has been through something similar.

As a librarian, I'm especially interested in children's literature that portrays strong single parents and their kids. Recommending these books to parents like us can help foster self-reflection and appreciation for our unique family dynamic. Does anyone have any favorite children's books with solo parent protagonists? I'd love some titles to add to my roster of recommendations!
There are so many new perspectives and themes covered in children's literature today! You'd be glad to know that there are a few wonderful stories with single parent narratives: Murla the Mermaid and Her Mamá by Sarah Toecher is a heartwarming tale with lovely illustrations, and it portrays a strong, loving relationship between Murla and her mamá. Also set underwater is Mama Dolphin and her Calf, where the pair explore their fun and adventures above sea level - a cute take on a single-parent dolphin family.

Another lovely story is Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs: My Mummy is Fantastic by Ian Whybrow. It's a cute rhyme with vibrant illustrations, showing Harry's imagination as he creates fun adventures for him and his mommy dinosaur.

These stories not only provide entertainment but also reflect our own experiences in a heartwarming way. They normalize different family dynamics and teach children valuable lessons on independence and parental love.

Those are some creative ways to make sure your finances stay healthy! It's smart to plan and budget for the unexpected too, and also good to keep in mind any indulgences we may have :p.
Having a network of solo parents certainly makes us feel a little less alone in navigating these challenges!

You're right; those little moments of warmth from strangers are precious, especially when you're flying solo. There's so much comfort in human connection and sharing these unexpected, humorous moments.
Those random acts of kindness from fellow humans--that is what keeps the world turning, and our hope alive.

Reactions: nature
Having fellow solo parents to relate to and learning about their struggles and successes is such a blessing! It's like having reliable company in the journey, which makes the whole experience less daunting.
Having an online crew of fellow solo parents certainly takes some weight off our shoulders.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Budgeting-wise, I've found success in creating a comprehensive monthly budget plan, allocating specific envelopes for various expenses like groceries, utilities, and fun money. Sticking to the plan has helped me manage expectations and avoid overspending. Also, setting up automatic transfers to savings helps! Sometimes, I also pick up side gigs for some extra cash and use any windfalls for investment opportunities.
Having a detailed budget plan and committing to it is discipline personified! That's an excellent approach to keeping finances in check. I also like the idea of using windfalls for investments - it feels more responsible that way, doesn't it? ;)

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Having a detailed budget plan sounds tedious but is necessary for financial discipline! Automatic savings transfers are a hassle-free way to stay on track too.
It's a good idea to have some savings tucked away for emergencies, especially when solo parenting. Having a safety net gives peace of mind. And the satisfaction that comes with achieving some financial goals as a solo parent is rewarding. The independence and security that come with it are invaluable.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
You've got a good perspective there! Getting inspired by other solo parents' stories and tailoring those lessons to our own situations is a great way to approach the challenges ahead. It's a solo parenting journey made easier with shared wisdom!
I'm glad someone finally mentioned tailoring the learning to our own circumstances, rather than adopting advice wholesale. You're right; it's an important reminder!

My kids are at an age where they need new shoes every few months due to their growing feet! So I've been buying secondhand clothing and shoes, which look new but are gentler on my wallet. Also, I keep a small stash of quick meal solutions - like frozen dinners - for days when I am too tired to cook. They are a lifeline on days when I'm running low on energy as well as funds.
That's resourceful of you! Teaching our little ones frugality and financial mindfulness is an essential life lesson, and secondhand finds can be awesome too! especially when you consider the environmental impact of it all. Plus, having an affordable go-to for those tired and busy days is a savvy move indeed.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
My kids are at an age where they need new shoes every few months due to their growing feet! So I've been buying secondhand clothing and shoes, which look new but are gentler on my wallet. Also, I keep a small stash of quick meal solutions - like frozen dinners - for days when I am too tired to cook. They are a lifeline on days when I'm running low on energy as well as funds.
Preparation is key Having those convenient meals stashed away for tired nights is a great tip, ensuring that we don't resort to costly takeouts or compromise our health by eating junk food. Teaching our kids the value of money and budgeting skills is also a wonderful way to empower them!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Secondhand shopping is a great way to save money, and it's eco-friendly too--less waste! I also keep a small stock of easy-cook meals for those busy (or lazy) days. You'll never catch me unprepared! ;)

That's responsible financial planning, budgeting, and involving your kiddo in financial literacy is an excellent idea. Teaching them young about money sense is beneficial in the long run.
As a side note, some friends have also recommended using apps for budgeting and tracking expenses, but I find that pen and paper work just as well for me. It's also good to teach my kiddo old-school organization skills, ha!

That's responsible financial planning, budgeting, and involving your kiddo in financial literacy is an excellent idea. Teaching them young about money sense is beneficial in the long run.
It's heartening to see so many approaches to solo parenting discussed here. This thread really is a great resource for learning and reminder that we're not alone in this!
Has anyone else found creative ways to manage finances while flying solo? I'm curious to hear about budgeting hacks or financial strategies that others have found helpful. After all, it's a never-ending journey of economic survival and savvy!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
You've got a good perspective there! Getting inspired by other solo parents' stories and tailoring those lessons to our own situations is a great way to approach the challenges ahead. It's a solo parenting journey made easier with shared wisdom!
Having a supportive community makes all the difference. Being a solo parent is challenging but seeing fellow parents thriving in similar circumstances is inspiring. It gives me hope that I can also create a beautiful and fulfilling life for myself and my child.

There's a lot of wisdom being shared here indeed.

Secondhand clothing is a fantastic idea for saving money, especially with how quickly kids outgrow their attire! And having a stock of easy meal solutions is a considerate approach to ensure those busy or draining days don't break the bank on takeaways. clever thinking!

we are fortunate to have access to so much collective knowledge.

It's great to have found this forum indeed.
You all make good points about how this platform is a precious resource for solo parents. It's comforting to know that we aren't alone in our experiences and can learn from one another.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
They add a special twinkle to the journey, don't they? It's like finding hidden gems among the challenges of solo parenting - a nice surprise that makes the experience richer and warmer.
It's like discovering secret oases in an otherwise desert-like journey.

Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu