• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleeptight Strategies

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Yes! Most parents agree that setting up a nighttime sleep routine is essential in helping their little ones develop healthy sleep habits and get the recommended hours of shuteye daily.

Babies thrive on consistency - a familiar sequence of activities before bed prepares them mentally and physically for sleep, so they're more likely to settle down easily and stay asleep through the night. Some popular choices include:

1. Bath time: A warm bath can help relax your baby and signal that bedtime is approaching. Plus, it's a great way to clean up after a full day of adventures!

2. Massage or gentle stretching: A relaxing massage or some gentle pre-bed stretches can help ease tension and soothe your little one into a peaceful slumber.

3. Nursing or feeding: Many babies associate nursing with sleep, so this can be a crucial part of their bedtime routine. Some mums also find that offering a dream feed around 10-11pm helps their little ones sleep longer through the night.

4. Rocking or cuddling: Cuddles and gentle rocking are wonderful ways to comfort your baby and help them relax. It's also a great chance for some quality bonding time!

5. White noise or soothing music: Some babies find white noise or gentle music conducive to sleep. You can try out different sounds to see what works best for your little one.

6. Stories, singing or talking: Sharing a story, singing lullabies, or having a quiet chat can be part of the pre-bed wind-down. It's a great way to develop language skills and foster a love of reading!

7. Changing into sleepwear: Putting on pajamas signals that bedtime is near, helping your baby get into the right mindset.

8. Dim the lights: A dark, cozy space is ideal for encouraging your little one to snooze. Keeping the room dim helps them associate the environment with sleeping.

Remember, each baby is unique, so experiment to discover what works best for yours! And don't be afraid to adapt and tweak the routine as they grow - consistency and familiarity are key.

'Putting baby down awake and other strategies for sleeptight! Share your experiences and advice on helping your little ones develop great sleep habits and routines. From putting them down awake, to napping routines, to handling those 4am wakeups - lets share our tips for some peaceful Zzzzs.'

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
When my kid was small, I would rock her to sleep every night. Then she grew up a bit and started enjoying sleeping in her cot with some nice soothing music. We'd keep the lights off except for a night light and that helped her differentiate between day and night. Also made sure her room was cool and comfy and not too cluttered so she won't be distracted when it's time to sleep.

When my kid was small, I would rock her to sleep every night. Then she grew up a bit and started enjoying sleeping in her cot with some nice soothing music. We'd keep the lights off except for a night light and that helped her differentiate between day and night. Also made sure her room was cool and comfy and not too cluttered so she won't be distracted when it's time to sleep.
I'm not sure if it's the right time now to share this since babies' needs change real fast but here goes nothing...

When my boy was small small, I would just pat him till he slept. No fancy techniques or anything - just the comforting touch seemed to do the trick! He also enjoyed some white noise from an app that really helped him snooze especially when we were out and about. As he grew older, the patting turned into more of a routine where lights off, some soft music, and a storybook did the magic. I'm really lucky that he's never been a fussy sleeper!

Looks like you've already got a nice routine going on there!

If your goal is to eventually get the little one to sleep through the night independently, then putting them down awake is a good start. It's definitely a tricky skill to master, but it gets easier as they grow older and more aware of their surroundings.

For now, it's a phase and the routine will help! Keep it up, and good luck!

Reactions: techsavvy
If they have a favourite comfy toy or blanket, that might help too! My kiddo always had his little yellow duckie by his side which he self-soothed with and fell asleep with. Also worked well when he woke up in the middle of the night - he'd find his duck and settle back to sleep. We also had a lot of success with white noise - we used an app on our phone which had a vacuum cleaner sound which oddly enough soothed the little one right to sleep!

If they have a favourite comfy toy or blanket, that might help too! My kiddo always had his little yellow duckie by his side which he self-soothed with and fell asleep with. Also worked well when he woke up in the middle of the night - he'd find his duck and settle back to sleep. We also had a lot of success with white noise - we used an app on our phone which had a vacuum cleaner sound which oddly enough soothed the little one right to sleep!
Having a favourite toy or blanket is like having a comfy buddy to help them feel less alone! We also let our tot have his blue bear nearby when he sleeps. He snuggles up to it and it's so adorable how comforted he feels with his bear. White noise is a genius idea too, we might try that! Vacuum cleaner sounds - who knew they could be soothing?!

52007869848_09f26acd62_m.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Having a favourite toy or blanket is like having a comfy buddy to help them feel less alone! We also let our tot have his blue bear nearby when he sleeps. He snuggles up to it and it's so adorable how comforted he feels with his bear. White noise is a genius idea too, we might try that! Vacuum cleaner sounds - who knew they could be soothing?!

52007869848_09f26acd62_m.jpg
Having a comfort object like a fav toy or blanket is a great idea! The vac cleaner sound worked like magic for us too, ahaha. White noise apps are amazing - never thought simple tech could be such a soothing saviour!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Having a comfort object like a fav toy or blanket is a great idea! The vac cleaner sound worked like magic for us too, ahaha. White noise apps are amazing - never thought simple tech could be such a soothing saviour!
We used to keep a small box of tricks, with things like a soft stuffed toy, a favourite storybook, and some comforting white noise sounds on repeat--it's fascinating how something so simple can work such magic! It's almost like the whole world is being peaceful and that calms them down.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
We used to keep a small box of tricks, with things like a soft stuffed toy, a favourite storybook, and some comforting white noise sounds on repeat--it's fascinating how something so simple can work such magic! It's almost like the whole world is being peaceful and that calms them down.
The familiarity of the storybook and predictability of our soothing rituals really does wonders to help them settle down. The comfort objects are a lovely idea and can really help with their sense of security!

The familiarity of the storybook and predictability of our soothing rituals really does wonders to help them settle down. The comfort objects are a lovely idea and can really help with their sense of security!
Absolutely! I love how you call it a "box of tricks!" It's amazing how these familiar comforts create such a cozy, snug atmosphere for our little ones to snuggle into and quickly become a crucial part of their bedtime routine. The predictability really helps them
So what other tricks do you have up your sleeve, travelmum?

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Absolutely! I love how you call it a "box of tricks!" It's amazing how these familiar comforts create such a cozy, snug atmosphere for our little ones to snuggle into and quickly become a crucial part of their bedtime routine. The predictability really helps them
So what other tricks do you have up your sleeve, travelmum?
For sleeptight strategies when traveling, I make sure to pack her favorite soft toy and bring along her beloved blanket! These familiar comforts help my tot feel cozy even when she's in a strange environment.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and musical
For sleeptight strategies when traveling, I make sure to pack her favorite soft toy and bring along her beloved blanket! These familiar comforts help my tot feel cozy even when she's in a strange environment.
Having that sense of familiarity amidst the unfamiliar is such a simple yet effective strategy. It's wonderful how these comfort items can create a homey ambiance for your child, making new places feel more welcoming. Does anyone else have any other tried-and-true methods for helping young ones sleep tight while traveling?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Having that sense of familiarity amidst the unfamiliar is such a simple yet effective strategy. It's wonderful how these comfort items can create a homey ambiance for your child, making new places feel more welcoming. Does anyone else have any other tried-and-true methods for helping young ones sleep tight while traveling?
My three year old son has always been fascinated with tents and tiny houses, so setting up a cozy pop-up tent in the hotel room or even at the foot of the bed when we travel really helps him feel snug and secure. It's like his own little fortress! We also bring along an inflatable pillow/mattress so he has a comfortable space to lounge and curl up. This makes him excited about sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings.

My three year old son has always been fascinated with tents and tiny houses, so setting up a cozy pop-up tent in the hotel room or even at the foot of the bed when we travel really helps him feel snug and secure. It's like his own little fortress! We also bring along an inflatable pillow/mattress so he has a comfortable space to lounge and curl up. This makes him excited about sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings.
That's a fantastic idea to tap into your child's interests! Creating that cozy, tucked-away space can really help them feel secure. Using the same sleepsack or bringing a favorite pillow from home could also be comforting. These little touches can make all the difference!

Reactions: doctormama
That's a fantastic idea to tap into your child's interests! Creating that cozy, tucked-away space can really help them feel secure. Using the same sleepsack or bringing a favorite pillow from home could also be comforting. These little touches can make all the difference!
Having a familiar scent from home like their favourite teddy bear or a sheet sprayed with calming perfume can help soothe them to sleep in an unfamiliar place.

Having a familiar scent from home like their favourite teddy bear or a sheet sprayed with calming perfume can help soothe them to sleep in an unfamiliar place.
Yes, familiar scents can be such a helpful anchor when sleeping away from home! My daughter has this adorable cloud-shaped pillow that we spritz with her favorite lavender spray. It really helps her relax and associate the scent with winding down and getting cozy.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and koala
So many ways to help our little ones sleep better ah! My experience is that putting baby down awake works best when they’re super tired and it’s part of their nighttime routine. But ya, it takes a bit of time to figure out what works best for each family. For me, I find having a consistent bedtime routine helps a lot too - bath, pajamas, story time, and then put down awake. Sometimes I think keeping the room dark also helps because my kiddo associates it with sleep time! Napping is still super challenging though - got to keep trying different things!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
If your goal is to have them sleep tight, then the first few months are crucial for setting the right tone. Me and my wife made sure we didn't let our baby get accustomed to being rocked or breastfed to sleep because it's not sustainable in the long run - we wanted her to learn independent sleeping skills early on. We also put her down awake from day one; she now knows it's bedtime and drifts off on her own. It helps that we have a consistent bedtime routine too - bath, massage, nursing, and then straight to the crib while she's still wide-eyed. She's usually out within five minutes, and this has helped us tremendously!

Some people say it's good to put baby down while they're still awake, so they can learn to self-soothe and fall asleep on their own. But honestly, it really depends! For my first child, we co-slept for a bit cause it was the only way she'd sleep well, then slowly transitioned her to her own cot in our room. We'd rock her to sleep and that gradually became our nap and bedtime routine. It worked pretty okay, I must say!

For my second one though, he's such a light sleeper! If he senses he's being put down when he's awake, he starts crying. So we've been holding him upright for about 20 mins after feeds, then slowly lowering him into the cot while he's still a bit groggy. That way, he doesn't realize he's being put down and sleeps soundly. We do lots of shushing and patting too - cannot give up halfway cos he'll wake up! But it's working okay so far!

Having a consistent bedtime routine helped lots too! We do shower, then story time & some nights, baby massages before sleep. Also, we make sure the room is well-ventilated and cool. Sometimes I think that helps with the overall comfort level so Baby gets cues that it's time to snooze. For 4am wakeups, I give a quick feed and rock her back to sleep. If all else fails, I just bring her to bed with me hahaha.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu