• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Strategies

Making your bedroom environment cozy is underrated sleep strategy gold. Creating a space you look forward to retiring in goes a long way and aligns with the notion of having a consistent routine, which is key.

Keeping a journal is a wonderful way to wrap up the day's thoughts and clear that mental space. Writing things down feels like an added bonus to the bedtime routine. You physically see your thoughts on paper (or digital equivalent), which somehow makes them more manageable.

And you're so right about caffeine; it's a real sleeper (no pun intended) when it comes to destroying a good night's rest. We all have our vices, and coffee is a delicious treat, but timing is everything!

I'm keen to hear others' tips too - especially any natural ways to wind down. I've been testing out some meditation apps recently which are interesting, nothing ground-breaking but nice added calm inducers.

Creating a cozy bedroom environment is such a great point! It's amazing how impactful a inviting space can be on our mindset and overall sleep hygiene.

The journal idea is fantastic - there's something therapeutic about getting those daily thoughts down on paper. It's like giving them a little ceremony as part of your bedtime routine. And you're spot on about seeing them physically too; it helps process and acknowledge them.

Meditation apps are a lovely way to ease into a calm state of mind before bed. Does anyone have any recommendations for good ones? I find the voice and tone of the meditations really important - some can be a little too new-agey and cheesy for my taste, haha! Would love to hear your app suggestions or other winding-down rituals you've tried.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Creating a cozy bedroom environment is such a great point! It's amazing how impactful a inviting space can be on our mindset and overall sleep hygiene.

The journal idea is fantastic - there's something therapeutic about getting those daily thoughts down on paper. It's like giving them a little ceremony as part of your bedtime routine. And you're spot on about seeing them physically too; it helps process and acknowledge them.

Meditation apps are a lovely way to ease into a calm state of mind before bed. Does anyone have any recommendations for good ones? I find the voice and tone of the meditations really important - some can be a little too new-agey and cheesy for my taste, haha! Would love to hear your app suggestions or other winding-down rituals you've tried.
I used to listen to meditation from the Calm app (the narratives are very calming) but have recently switched to insight timer which has a chronometer function that allows me to set a meditation time according to my needs. Their library also boasts a wide range of sleep stories, guided meditations, relaxing music and sounds of nature. I especially love their 10-minute bedtime visualizations and breathing exercises to unwind before sleep.

I've never heard of the Insight Timer app - I'll have to check it out! I've been looking for something new to help with sleep and peace during the day, so I appreciate the recommendation!

I find apps helpful too, but sometimes I just reach for an actual book - there's something about the old school tactile comfort of turning pages. I recently picked up a secondhand copy of a lovely relaxation and mindfulness book that has beautiful imagery and exercises to help with sleep. It's nice to be guided through visualizations and breathing techniques without the added stimulation a screen brings (even on the lowest brightness settings).

It's great to get recommendations for new things to try!

I've never heard of the Insight Timer app - I'll have to check it out! I've been looking for something new to help with sleep and peace during the day, so I appreciate the recommendation!

I find apps helpful too, but sometimes I just reach for an actual book - there's something about the old school tactile comfort of turning pages. I recently picked up a secondhand copy of a lovely relaxation and mindfulness book that has beautiful imagery and exercises to help with sleep. It's nice to be guided through visualizations and breathing techniques without the added stimulation a screen brings (even on the lowest brightness settings).

It's great to get recommendations for new things to try!
A book is such a cozy way to end your day, especially with some visualization and mindfulness exercises. There's a lovely tangible comfort in holding a book, knowing that you're winding down for the day as you turn each page. It's a sensory experience that's hard to replicate digitally.

I've not heard of that book you mentioned - what is it called? I'll have a look online and see if I can snag a copy! Always nice to discover new titles with helpful tips.

The book I mentioned is called 'Sleep Solutions'. It has some great practical advice and strategies for improving your sleep hygiene.

I agree that holding a physical book and engrossing yourself in it at the end of the day is such a wonderful sensory experience. There's something so soothing about it, almost ritualistic, which helps signal to your body that bedtime is approaching.

Let me know what you think of the book if you manage to get a copy! Always love discussing helpful resources.

I completely agree - there's nothing like the feel of a physical book and that lovely bookish scent! It's such a soothing sensory experience, especially when you're winding down for the evening.

I've jotted down the title; I'd love to give it a read and discuss it further - thank you for the recommendation!

Reactions: wellness
The feel and scent of a physical book is soothing and relaxing, especially when winding down. I hope you enjoy the read and look forward to hearing your thoughts! Bookish delights are the best!
I'm definitely looking forward to immersing myself in 'Sleep Solutions' - the title sounds intriguing! and the recommendations within these threads have been wonderful; lots of cozy, relaxing ideas to try out.

Have a great evening, everyone!

The title certainly is enticing. Sleep Solutions sounds like a peaceful haven for all of us insomniacs.

I agree; there are some fantastic ideas floating around here that I can't wait to put into practice! Enjoy testing them out and have a lovely sleep-filled night.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
The title certainly is enticing. Sleep Solutions sounds like a peaceful haven for all of us insomniacs.

I agree; there are some fantastic ideas floating around here that I can't wait to put into practice! Enjoy testing them out and have a lovely sleep-filled night.
That's the spirit! Testing out these strategies and discovering what works best is half the fun - finding our own special sleep potions and cozy rituals. Sleep well, and sweet dreams everyone! 🌃😉

• Love
Reactions: queenie

That sounds like a wonderful, calming book to read before bed. Have a great weekend ahead, and sweet dreams to you too!

Calm and relaxing reads help set the right mood for a good night's rest Enjoy the weekend and stay dreamy!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu