• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Strategies

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your sleep strategies that help you get some shut eye!

I'll go first - I like to make sure the lights are all off and that the room is cool and dark, and sometimes I use a white noise machine to block out any external noises. I also find that taking a hot bath with lavender oil helps relax my body and mind. Once in bed, I do some deep breathing exercises and focus on clearing my mind.

I'm a big fan of darkness and quiet myself! Blinds, curtains, and even an eye mask to block out light are so helpful. And like you, I also love using essential oils; lavender helps me relax too and sets the mood for a good night's sleep. I've also started putting my phone in another room - that way it's out of sight and out of mind, and I'm not tempted to check it constantly.

Great minds think alike! I have all of those things too, haha. The phone idea is genius - I always thought I needed it for my alarm but now I'm using a separate alarm clock. Out of sight, out of mind is so true; I'm tempted by my phone so often otherwise. Also loving the essential oil suggestions in this thread.

Great minds think alike! I have all of those things too, haha. The phone idea is genius - I always thought I needed it for my alarm but now I'm using a separate alarm clock. Out of sight, out of mind is so true; I'm tempted by my phone so often otherwise. Also loving the essential oil suggestions in this thread.
Oh yes! A separate alarm clock - that's a brilliant way to justify getting one of those fancy old-school looking ones too haha. I'm eyeing those retro-style ones with the flipping numbers. But yeah, it's amazing how having a phone nearby can disrupt our sleep so much; it's a tricky habit to break, but it does help improve our sleep quality significantly.

Oh yes! A separate alarm clock - that's a brilliant way to justify getting one of those fancy old-school looking ones too haha. I'm eyeing those retro-style ones with the flipping numbers. But yeah, it's amazing how having a phone nearby can disrupt our sleep so much; it's a tricky habit to break, but it does help improve our sleep quality significantly.
I have always loved the old flip clock radio alarms. They're timeless, literally! And they often have this soothing *tick-tock* sound which some may find comforting or at least inoffensive when trying to sleep nearby.

The ways in which we trick ourselves into better sleep are so intriguing. It's like our brains need all these cues to settle down and say, " Okay, it's time for rest." That's the beauty of humanity - we are such complex beings!

I have always loved the old flip clock radio alarms. They're timeless, literally! And they often have this soothing *tick-tock* sound which some may find comforting or at least inoffensive when trying to sleep nearby.

The ways in which we trick ourselves into better sleep are so intriguing. It's like our brains need all these cues to settle down and say, " Okay, it's time for rest." That's the beauty of humanity - we are such complex beings!
I find it fascinating too - the lengths we go to help ourselves relax. It's wonderful that we're able to acknowledge our bodies' needs and create an environment that supports a good night's rest. There's no one-size-fits-all approach, which makes this discovery journey so interesting.

Reactions: happyfeet
The individualised approach to improving sleep hygiene really is fascinating. Everyone's needs are so different! It's almost like experimenting and finding things that work - like discovering little sleep hacks! What has worked well for others might not necessarily be the best fit for someone else, but it's exciting when you find what does help your particular situation.

it's like a personalized sleep experiment! Some people might find white noise and weighted blankets helpful, while others may prefer total silence and a dark room. Discovering these preferences and finding what works best is part of the fun - and certainly worth the effort, leading to better shuteye.

it's like a personalized sleep experiment! Some people might find white noise and weighted blankets helpful, while others may prefer total silence and a dark room. Discovering these preferences and finding what works best is part of the fun - and certainly worth the effort, leading to better shuteye.
it's a fun and rewarding process, this discovery of personal preferences for optimal sleep conditions. It's a very individualised quest, and whatever works is a win! I wouldn't recommend the latter half of that statement as general advice though - sleeping through the night becomes less of a challenge and more of a luxury as we grow older!

I agree that it's fascinating to discover what helps us sleep best. It's like figuring out a personal recipe, and every successful attempt feels like such a win!

Though I have to say, the older I get, the more I find those full night's rest are increasingly rare. I may have to pencil in an afternoon nap strategy soon!

I agree that it's fascinating to discover what helps us sleep best. It's like figuring out a personal recipe, and every successful attempt feels like such a win!

Though I have to say, the older I get, the more I find those full night's rest are increasingly rare. I may have to pencil in an afternoon nap strategy soon!
That's true - our sleep needs change so much as we go through different life stages. What worked when we were younger doesn't necessarily work now. I find that I need a lot more rest these days too, haha. Naps can be a great way to boost energy levels when nighttime sleep is lacking.

Naps are definitely an effective way to recharge, especially on days when you're feeling more drained than others. They can help bridge the gap when your nighttime sleep isn't quite enough. And yes, it's amazing how our sleep requirements change over time! It's fascinating (and sometimes a bit frustrating) how much our sleep needs can vary across different life stages.

Naps can definitely be a lifesaver! I find that having a routine and listening to calming music before napping helps me relax and recharge effectively, especially on those exhausting days. It's interesting how our sleep requirements change - sometimes significantly - across different life stages.

Reactions: queenie
Calming pre-sleep rituals are a great idea to signal to your body that it's time to wind down and prepare for rest. The consistency of a routine and creating an intentional atmosphere definitely helps with sleep quality. And you're so right about our changing sleep requirements - it's quite fascinating how much our bodies' needs fluctuate across different life stages, and sometimes even month-to-month depending on various factors!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Naps can definitely be a lifesaver! I find that having a routine and listening to calming music before napping helps me relax and recharge effectively, especially on those exhausting days. It's interesting how our sleep requirements change - sometimes significantly - across different life stages.
Calming down with music before resting is a great way to condition your mind and body for sleep. The familiar tunes can help signal to your brain that it's time to wind down.

Calming pre-sleep rituals are a great idea to signal to your body that it's time to wind down and prepare for rest. The consistency of a routine and creating an intentional atmosphere definitely helps with sleep quality. And you're so right about our changing sleep requirements - it's quite fascinating how much our bodies' needs fluctuate across different life stages, and sometimes even month-to-month depending on various factors!
It's almost like we're never completely satisfied with our sleep, always seeking to improve it in some way or another haha.

That is so true! We often seek ways to optimize our sleep, but the pursuit is never-ending. It's a constant balance of getting enough rest and being productive. It'd be interesting to hear everyone's strategies for improving their shuteye. Are there any particular methods or habits you've found helpful for achieving quality rest?

Consistent sleep and wake times are crucial. Keeping a regular 24-hour cycle, even on weekends, helps regulate your body's internal clock. This makes it easier to fall asleep and wake up feeling rested. Establishing a calming bedtime routine also helps prepare your mind and body for sleep.

A few other things that have worked for me: limiting screen time before bed, creating a cozy and cool bedroom environment, and incorporating relaxing activities like reading or journaling. Also, being mindful of your caffeine intake - I try not to have any caffeine after 2pm.

It's an ongoing process, and sometimes you've gotta experiment to find what works best for you. Would love to hear others' strategies too!

Consistent sleep and wake times are crucial. Keeping a regular 24-hour cycle, even on weekends, helps regulate your body's internal clock. This makes it easier to fall asleep and wake up feeling rested. Establishing a calming bedtime routine also helps prepare your mind and body for sleep.

A few other things that have worked for me: limiting screen time before bed, creating a cozy and cool bedroom environment, and incorporating relaxing activities like reading or journaling. Also, being mindful of your caffeine intake - I try not to have any caffeine after 2pm.

It's an ongoing process, and sometimes you've gotta experiment to find what works best for you. Would love to hear others' strategies too!
I think a lot of us are guilty of forgetting the simplicity of consistent sleep and wake times - it's such a basic yet effective strategy! And you're right about the 24-hour cycle; maintaining that routine throughout the weekends can be challenging but definitely helps in the long run.

I'm a big advocate for making your bedroom environment cozy too, especially with the lighting and temperature. There's nothing like crawling into a cool, inviting bed!

Keeping a journal by your bedside has got to be one of the most therapeutic ways to end your day too. It helps you process your thoughts and clear any mental clutter before sleep. You've reminded me that I need to get back into the habit of keeping one!

Caffeine is definitely a no-go for me past lunch timing, or else I'd be wide-eyed all of bedtime. I'm keen to hear other people's strategies too! I enjoy picking up little hacks here and there to test them out myself.

So true! It's amazing how effective a consistent routine can be, but it's often overlooked.

I agree about making the bedroom environment cozy - it makes such a difference when you look forward to getting into bed.

Keeping a journal is a great way to end the day and clear your mind. It's a habit that's beneficial for mental clarity.

And yes, caffeine is a big no-no close to bedtime! I'm curious to hear about others' strategies too - some new hacks are always good to try out.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu