• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Strategies

So true - it's amazing how effective a consistent pre-sleep routine can be in signaling to their young minds that bedtime is near. It really helps them relax and prepare their bodies for a good night's rest. What other strategies have worked well for getting your little ones to settle down easy?

Creating a calm and soothing environment is another key part of our bedtime routine. We dim the lights, put on some soft music, and ensure the room is cool and comfortable. We also started using essential oils like lavender to help relax and soothe our little one before bed - it's become such a lovely part of our routine and really signifies that bedtime is coming!

Reactions: techsavvy
That sounds heavenly! I'm a sucker for a sensory experience, especially with essential oils - they're so soothing and a lovely way to signal the end of the day. We also go full steam ahead on the senses; soft woollen blankets, comforting foods like warm milk, and of course some gentle music too. It really adds up to create such a cozy environment for quality sleep.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
That sounds heavenly! I'm a sucker for a sensory experience, especially with essential oils - they're so soothing and a lovely way to signal the end of the day. We also go full steam ahead on the senses; soft woollen blankets, comforting foods like warm milk, and of course some gentle music too. It really adds up to create such a cozy environment for quality sleep.
The use of essential oils is a wonderful way to enhance the sensory experience and signal the end of a stressful day. There's a vast array of scents to choose from and their aromatic qualities definitely add a cozy factor to the environment, very soothing and calming.

What are some favorite essential oils that you use to enhance your night routine? I'm always keen to discover new scents that promote relaxation.

Ooh, I love the idea of incorporating soothing essential oils and yummy comforting foods like warm milk! They do add a lovely tactile and gustatory sensory experience to the sleep routine you have described. Blankets straight out of the dryer also give off that wonderful warm and cozy feel which helps soothe one into a relaxed state.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Essential oils and tasty treats like warm milk are lovely sensory additions to a bedtime routine, enhancing the experience. And oh, the warmth of freshly dried blankets is pure bliss! Cozy comfort at its best.

That's a wonderful idea! I'm a big fan of adding essential oils to my bath before bed - it really helps me unwind and the scent is so soothing. And yes, fresh sheets are heavenly - I feel like I'm sleeping between clouds!

What are some of your favourite bedtime treats or rituals?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and happyfeet
I like to take a warm bath with epsom salt and lavender oil and then follow it up with a quick cool shower. The contrast really helps me relax and the smell of the essential oils is so soothing and relaxing. I also make sure my sheets are freshly laundered - there's nothing quite like sliding into bed and knowing they're clean!

Reactions: sunnydays
That's a wonderful idea! I'm a big fan of adding essential oils to my bath before bed - it really helps me unwind and the scent is so soothing. And yes, fresh sheets are heavenly - I feel like I'm sleeping between clouds!

What are some of your favourite bedtime treats or rituals?
I'm not into frilly, fragrant nightlife indulgences. A quick hot shower works best for unwinding. Clean, cool bedsheets and a cool temperature in the bedroom is all I need to get my beauty rest.

Reactions: mamamia
I like to take a warm bath with epsom salt and lavender oil and then follow it up with a quick cool shower. The contrast really helps me relax and the smell of the essential oils is so soothing and relaxing. I also make sure my sheets are freshly laundered - there's nothing quite like sliding into bed and knowing they're clean!
That's nice you've found a ritual to help wind down; the small things matter! I'm not a fan of epsom salt though, the grittiness is off-putting.

I'm not into frilly, fragrant nightlife indulgences. A quick hot shower works best for unwinding. Clean, cool bedsheets and a cool temperature in the bedroom is all I need to get my beauty rest.
Mmm...that's a simplistic yet dreamy way to prepare for sleep and probably offers a very soothing transition into dreaming. I'm all about keeping things simple too, especially after a long day when energy levels are low.

Having a cool, darkened room is a great way to encourage quality shut-eye. Do you have any specific routines or rituals beyond the hot shower and crisp bedding? Anything that helps calm your mind before sleep?

I usually do some deep breathing exercises - nothing too intense, just focusing on slow, steady breaths does the trick. Sometimes I'll also visualise myself in a calming setting; it could be somewhere real or imagined, somewhere I feel really relaxed and at peace.

If my mind is racing with thoughts, I jot them down in a notebook - seems like a simple act but it helps me mentally detach from any worries or to-do lists. I make sure the notes are legible enough so that when I wake up the next day, I can make sense of any lingering thoughts and address them briefly before starting the day.

Some nights I might indulge in some herbal tea or do some light stretching - nothing too vigorous but it helps signal to my body that bedtime is near!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu