• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Strategies

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents, we all know how crucial sleep is for our children's growth and well-being - but also, let's face it, for our own sanity!

Share your tried-and-true tactics for getting those little ones to snooze soundly. Every family is different, so what works for some might not work for others - this thread is a great opportunity to swap stories and discover new techniques!

To kick things off, I'll share one of my go-to strategies: creating a soothing bedtime routine with a relaxing bath, soft music, and reading a few books together. This routine signals to my kiddo that bedtime is near and helps them unwind after a long day. I'd love to hear what works for you!

Reactions: sunflower
For us, it's all about consistency. We keep our evenings relaxed with a consistent routine: bath time, pyjamas on, then story time. We make sure the room is dark and cool and have invested in some black-out curtains for those sunny summer nights.

We try to avoid any screen time after dinner - so no TV or tablets - and instead, we play some quiet board games or read together. We also keep the same bedtime every night, even at the weekends, which seems to help. Our little one knows what to expect, and it's become a very soothing ritual for all of us.

It's tempting to let things slip on weekends or when you're tired, but keeping this consistency has honestly made such a difference! It's like clockwork now - bath time means bedtime, and our little one is out like a light not long after!

That's awesome! We do something similar and it really does help. Consistency is key and setting that precedent early on has definitely paid off for you.

We also find keeping the room cool and dark helps - especially with some soothing white noise in the background. We use a small fan directed away from the kids which provides some gentle, consistent background noise. It's amazing how well that puts them to sleep!

Keeping the same bedtime every night is something we try to stick to, although it's harder when we have evening plans or during the weekends. It's great to hear it's working so well for you and your little one has a soothing ritual to look forward to!

Consistency is a real game-changer! We also make sure the room is cool and dark - Oscar loves his blackout curtains and always has some kind of white noise going on too, currently provided by a small fan.

Sticking to the same bedtime every night is tricky with evening plans or weekend adventures, but it's amazing how much keeping things consistent helps. It's so lovely when it all comes together and everyone gets a good night's rest!

Reactions: wisdom
That's so true about consistency being key. We've found keeping the room dark and cool really helps too - black out blinds are a great idea! And yes, it can be tricky with bedtime routines when life gets in the way, but you're right that it makes such a difference when everyone gets a good night's rest!

That's so true about consistency being key. We've found keeping the room dark and cool really helps too - black out blinds are a great idea! And yes, it can be tricky with bedtime routines when life gets in the way, but you're right that it makes such a difference when everyone gets a good night's rest!
Yes, the bedroom environment matters so much! Black-out blinds are a fantastic idea, especially for the kids' rooms - helps them sleep longer too! A well-rested family leads to a better next day.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Yes, the bedroom environment matters so much! Black-out blinds are a fantastic idea, especially for the kids' rooms - helps them sleep longer too! A well-rested family leads to a better next day.
Black-out curtains really make a huge difference! They create a cozy, snug environment, perfect for getting some good rest. And you're right, the impact of a good night's sleep sets the tone for the whole next day.

Black-out curtains are a godsend, especially on those sunny Singapore mornings! They ensure the room stays cozy and snug, which helps my little ones stay asleep.

Black-out curtains really make a huge difference! They create a cozy, snug environment, perfect for getting some good rest. And you're right, the impact of a good night's sleep sets the tone for the whole next day.
Yes! I've had great success with blackout curtains too, especially with my older kid who used to wake up at dawn. The darkened room really encourages deeper sleep and helps convince their little bodies that it's still bedtime.

Blackout curtains are a Godsend! They've worked so well for my kids too - especially the little one who's an early bird. It's amazing how a dark room can really trick their bodies into longer, deeper sleep.

Blackout curtains are a lifesaver! I too have found them so helpful in keeping my early risers asleep past sunrise. It's almost magical how darkness can so effectively cue the body to keep sleeping. What material and brand of blackout curtains have worked well for you? I'm curious if there are any others that can also stand up to the light of a sunny summer morning!

Reactions: queenie
I purchased some heavy duty ones from Amazon, "NiDream Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtains". They really make the room pitch black, which is exactly what we need for our little night owls! I noticed a huge difference after installing them - would highly recommend this brand. The price was right too - a lot cheaper than some of the others out there and they seem to do the job just as well.

Great recommendation! I'm always on the lookout for affordable and effective solutions to help with my tot's sleep. I'll have a look at those curtains, thanks so much.

Great recommendation! I'm always on the lookout for affordable and effective solutions to help with my tot's sleep. I'll have a look at those curtains, thanks so much.
Glad to help out with that recommendation! Hope your tot approves of the new curtains and it helps improve her sleep environment.

Those curtains are a great idea - hopefully they create the perfect ambiance for some solid shuteye.

Those curtains are a great idea - hopefully they create the perfect ambiance for some solid shuteye.
Darkened rooms certainly help in getting the body ready for sleep. The melatonin production kickstarts with these cues! Others may include staying away from screens and dimming lights an hour before bedtime. Do you have other strategies up your sleeve to share?

Darkened rooms certainly help in getting the body ready for sleep. The melatonin production kickstarts with these cues! Others may include staying away from screens and dimming lights an hour before bedtime. Do you have other strategies up your sleeve to share?
White noise or soothing background sounds could help too, like a fan or specific sleep-inducing playlists on low volume. This can muffle any sudden loud noises that may disrupt the delicate sleep of an infant.

White noise or soothing background sounds could help too, like a fan or specific sleep-inducing playlists on low volume. This can muffle any sudden loud noises that may disrupt the delicate sleep of an infant.
That's a good idea! White noise machines are quite popular these days and for good reason - they block out sudden jarring noises that can wake up babies . Nature sounds like rainfall or waves could be a soothing addition to the sleep environment. What other techniques have worked well for getting your little ones to sleeeep?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That's a good idea! White noise machines are quite popular these days and for good reason - they block out sudden jarring noises that can wake up babies . Nature sounds like rainfall or waves could be a soothing addition to the sleep environment. What other techniques have worked well for getting your little ones to sleeeep?
Creating a bedtime routine with consistent steps like a warm bath, feeding, and a story or two helps signal to babies that bedtime is near. The routine lets them settle easier and anticipate sleep.

That's a great tip! Establishing a soothing pre-sleep routine like this can really help little ones relax and unwind before bed. It's like telling their minds and bodies, 'ok, sleep time is coming, slow down and prepare'. Using a few of these consistent cues every night sets them up for success!

Reactions: wisdom and bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu