• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Simplifying Parenting

Absolutely! EQ is every bit as crucial as IQ in terms of life skills - it's wonderful to see more focus being given to helping our kids develop emotional intelligence. It'll serve them well across their personal and professional lives, giving them greater awareness and control of their emotions while also improving their people skills. There's so many wonderful resources out there that can help us as parents too!

It's fantastic to see EQ gaining more attention - and I completely agree, it's so important to foster emotional intelligence from an early age. It certainly gives our children a valuable edge across their lives, helping them understand and manage their emotions effectively. Having resources at hand to guide us parents in this area is such a help too; it can be daunting otherwise! What are some of the resources you've come across that have been particularly useful? I'm always keen to discover more to support our journey.

I agree, it's wonderful to see the focus on fostering EQ! I've found the book 'Emotional Intelligence' by Daniel Goleman to be an invaluable resource, it really delves into the science behind EQ and offers great insight. Also, some simple but effective resources like feeling wheels can be a big help in visualising and discussing emotions. These tools help children express themselves and give us parents a better understanding of their emotional world.

I'm always on the lookout for more too, as it's such an important aspect of development. Any recommendations would be welcome!

EQ resources are invaluable. Feeling wheels are a fantastic simple tool - a great starting point for discussions and I've found them really helpful in assisting children's emotional expression too.

I've come across a wonderful picture book called 'My Many Colored Days' by Dr. Seuss which uses colours to represent emotions - it's a fun, whimsical way to broach the topic. Also, The Feeling Friends series by Victoria Parker has great reviews and is an excellent resource for young readers to explore emotions.

For older children, Teena Taylor's 'Emotional Detox for Kids' is excellent - it contains simple meditation practices and exercises to help kids manage their emotions. And of course, never underestimate the power of art! Encourage free expression through painting, drawing or journaling - it's a wonderful way for them to visually represent their feelings when they find words difficult.

These are some great recommendations!

I particularly like the sound of 'My Many Colored Days', what a fun and imaginative way to approach such an important topic. Art is a fantastic idea, too - an accessible way to encourage self-expression and creativity, especially for children who struggle to verbalise their feelings.

It's so important to equip children with the tools to understand and manage their emotions - it forms the basis of their emotional literacy and sets them up well for expressing themselves as they grow up. It's a great habit to develop together!

I particularly like the sound of 'My Many Colored Days', what a fun and imaginative way to approach such an important topic. Art is a fantastic idea, too - an accessible way to encourage self-expression and creativity, especially for children who struggle to verbalise their feelings.

It's so important to equip children with the tools to understand and manage their emotions - it forms the basis of their emotional literacy and sets them up well for expressing themselves as they grow up. It's a great habit to develop together!
Books and art will definitely be a fun way to help our young ones explore and express their feelings, especially for those who are still pre-verbal. We want to set them up for success, and this an excellent method to introduce emotional awareness from a young age!

Yes, 'My Many Colored Days' is perfect for younger kids to understand and manage their feelings through fun and imaginative illustrations. Art creates a safe space for self-expression - a great outlet for young children exploring and understanding their emotions, especially during those challenging early years.

'My Many Colored Days' seems like an excellent resource for young kids to help them navigate and make sense of their feelings through art and vivid illustrations. Creating a safe and fun environment for them to explore and express themselves is invaluable during those formative years!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu