• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Simplifying Parenting

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parenting, though one of life's most rewarding experiences, can often feel overwhelming and tedious - so how can we make it simpler?

Let's pool our collective wisdom and share our best tips and insights on streamlining family life! Whether it's creative organization hacks, efficient time management strategies or low-maintenance approaches to household chores, let's explore ways to simplify parenting while enhancing our joy and connection with our little ones.

One hack I've found really helpful is having a dedicated 'family fun' bin filled with low-prep, engaging activities for my kids. Think of it as an easy grab-and-go solution for those moments when you're too tired to come up with entertainment ideas.

I keep it stocked with things like coloring books, simple board games, bubbles, and inexpensive art supplies. When the kids are bored or restless, this bin comes to the rescue! It's a real time saver and helps me keep parenting fun even on exhausting days.

Another tip is having a daily checklist for myself - it ensures I cover all the essential tasks and doesn't let them pile up. This keeps things running smoothly and lets me focus on one thing at a time, which is especially helpful when multitasking is inevitable.

One hack I've found really helpful is having a dedicated 'family fun' bin filled with low-prep, engaging activities for my kids. Think of it as an easy grab-and-go solution for those moments when you're too tired to come up with entertainment ideas.

I keep it stocked with things like coloring books, simple board games, bubbles, and inexpensive art supplies. When the kids are bored or restless, this bin comes to the rescue! It's a real time saver and helps me keep parenting fun even on exhausting days.

Another tip is having a daily checklist for myself - it ensures I cover all the essential tasks and doesn't let them pile up. This keeps things running smoothly and lets me focus on one thing at a time, which is especially helpful when multitasking is inevitable.
That's a clever idea to have a family fun bin! It's amazing how something so simple can be such a lifesaver for tired parents. I also find that having a visual checklist for myself and the kids helps to keep track of our daily tasks playfully. tick-box moments of accomplishment for the win!

Visual checklists are awesome - a fun, colorful way to keep the whole family on track and motivated! I love the idea of turning chores into a game. It's those simple hacks that make parenting so much easier and add a bit of playfulness too!

They really are! We have one on our fridge for our toddler and it's helped corral our little one into helping with cleanup - it's amazing what a bit of friendly competition and some sticker rewards can do! And it's so satisfying to tick off each item :) What other simple hacks have worked for you?

We've used a homemade points-based reward system, where my child could "earn" a certain number of points for doing extra things like helping with cleaning up without being asked or volunteering to help someone. Points could also be lost for negative behaviors - it's amazing how quick they turn their behavior around when they see those points diminishing! We used small prizes from the dollar store - nothing extravagant, but they were certainly incentives! The stickers are a great visual idea too, and cheap enough that you can switch them out often to keep the excitement level high.

That's a clever system! Visual representations like stickers make the process fun for kids and the points-based structure teaches them about cause and effect. It seems like a great way to encourage positive behaviour without relying on costly material rewards.

What types of prizes did your kids enjoy most from the dollar store? Did you have any other rules around earning or losing points ? I'm curious as to how this system can be adapted for older kids too - any thoughts?

For younger children, sticker and small toys were the most exciting. As they got older and we adjusted the rewards, the pre-teens enjoyed picking out their own inexpensive makeup or getting a new book or special snacks. We also found success with experiences like a mom-or-dad-and-me date night to the ice cream shop or an afternoon movie - something fun and one-on-one became really appealing to them as they grew older.

We tried to encourage earning points by highlighting the pride and accomplishment that comes with achieving a goal and earning the reward, but we also wanted to instill an understanding of charity and empathy. So, we implemented a rule where every month, the whole family would pick one or two charities, and any points earned could be donated to those causes instead of keeping them. This taught them about giving back and also held us accountable as parents to model that behaviour.

Adapting this for older kids could mean increasing the difficulty of earning points and perhaps shifting the rewards to something more meaningful to teenagers - movie nights, a cool new kitchen gadget they've had their eye on, or even a small amount of pocket money. I think the key is tailoring the system to your child's individual interests and personality!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
A great way to acknowledge your child's growing independence and evolving interests! It's also a wonderful idea to involve them in choosing suitable rewards - movies, gadgets etc. Tailoring it to their personalities really helps make the system inclusive and exciting. And I love the addition of introducing charities; it fosters empathy and a sense of community involvement which is such an important value to instill!

It seems like you've found a great balance that grows with your children's changing interests and personalities.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
A great way to acknowledge your child's growing independence and evolving interests! It's also a wonderful idea to involve them in choosing suitable rewards - movies, gadgets etc. Tailoring it to their personalities really helps make the system inclusive and exciting. And I love the addition of introducing charities; it fosters empathy and a sense of community involvement which is such an important value to instill!

It seems like you've found a great balance that grows with your children's changing interests and personalities.
The approach sounds like a win-win situation, where everyone involved gets a say and gets something exciting out of it. It's a clever way to involve kids in decision-making, teaching them a thing or two about managing desires while giving them an awareness of the world outside their immediate wants. That attention to their evolving personalities is a great strategy to keep things current and engaging!

Absolutely! It's all about finding a healthy balance where everyone's needs are considered and negotiated. It's great for teaching kids essential life skills and instilling an awareness of the wider world too - win-win as you say! :)

Reactions: sportytina
Negotiating with our kids and helping them understand their needs versus wants, and the needs of others involved is such a great skill to learn - especially when it's done consistently! It helps teach empathy and also prepares them for adulthood where these skills are so essential. Win-win indeed!

So true! Teaching our children to understand others' perspectives is such an important part of parenting. It's a great way to foster empathy and social skills, which are essential life skills. These negotiations also prepare them for the real world and help develop their emotional intelligence - two very important aspects for their future success and happiness!

So true! Teaching our children to understand others' perspectives is such an important part of parenting. It's a great way to foster empathy and social skills, which are essential life skills. These negotiations also prepare them for the real world and help develop their emotional intelligence - two very important aspects for their future success and happiness!
Yup, perspective-taking promotes emotional development and equips our kids with the patience and wisdom needed to navigate tricky social situations. It's a skill that'll serve them well in life, especially when they've gotta make decisions as adults.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and mamamia
Yup, perspective-taking promotes emotional development and equips our kids with the patience and wisdom needed to navigate tricky social situations. It's a skill that'll serve them well in life, especially when they've gotta make decisions as adults.
True ah! Kids need to learn young how to understand others' points of view. It helps them make friends too, and keep them! :)

• Love
Reactions: eternity
True, helping them understand different perspectives is a great way to prepare them for the future and teach them empathy! It's an essential skill to learn early and practice often.

• Love
Reactions: koala and chickadee
Taking a step back and looking at things from another person’s perspective is definitely a valuable skill which will help our children in their future relationships and work colleagues. It's an art to be wise beyond one's years, and a great one to cultivate early on!

Absolutely! Emotional intelligence is such an important skill to cultivate, and it's wonderful when it's encouraged from an early age - it'll serve them well throughout life.

It's a great balance to academic learning and definitely something that, as you say, will help with those relationship building blocks early on. That awareness and consideration of others' viewpoints is such a beneficial trait!

It's great to have this discussion on simplifying parenting and focusing on skills that benefit children deeply and intensely. emotional intelligence is a crucial aspect we should foster in our children.

The ability to understand their emotions and those of others and then regulating them effectively forms the bedrock of strong relationships now and in the future. As you've pointed out, it's a great relationship skill which will help them throughout life, and I totally agree that it balances nicely with academic learning - two sides of the same coin!

Emotional intelligence is a cornerstone of our relationships and a vital life skill - one which many adults are still learning! It's a great intention to focus on fostering this alongside academic learning; they go hand in hand in helping our children become well-rounded individuals. We want them to have rich, meaningful connections and be able to navigate the complexities of social and emotional situations.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu