• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shorten your workload

Visualising tasks on a shared board makes it easy for everyone to keep track. It's also fun and satisfying to add new strategies to liven things up!
Using a shared board is a brilliant way to delegate and organize tasks visually for maximum clarity. It saves time and effort explaining things, especially with the whole team on the same page.

Visualising tasks on a shared board makes it easy for everyone to keep track. It's also fun and satisfying to add new strategies to liven things up!
I'm thinking of creating different colored stickers for each family member so that we can assign tasks without needing to get the kids to stare at a board all day - add some fun elements and let them enjoy marking off completed tasks. Does this sound like something you might have done before or heard of? I'm keen to hear your experience with keeping things visual!

I'm thinking of creating different colored stickers for each family member so that we can assign tasks without needing to get the kids to stare at a board all day - add some fun elements and let them enjoy marking off completed tasks. Does this sound like something you might have done before or heard of? I'm keen to hear your experience with keeping things visual!
Using colored stickers could be a fun way to keep track of tasks! I remember doing something similar when I was younger. My mum would use different colored tokens/tokens with pictures on them to represent each of us kids, which made it easier for us to identify and mark off our chores. Each color was assigned to a specific person, so there was never any confusion or argument about who did what. We also had a rewards system that came with the visual chore chart, which motivated us to keep our stickers/tokens in the 'completed' column!

Reactions: luciana
Using colored stickers for task delegation is a creative way to keep things visuals and engage the kids! I've not personally used stickers, but I have employed colored codes for different family tasks and found it fun and effective. The kids enjoyed picking their favorite colors and marking off completed jobs.

Reactions: joyful
Using colored stickers could be a fun way to keep track of tasks! I remember doing something similar when I was younger. My mum would use different colored tokens/tokens with pictures on them to represent each of us kids, which made it easier for us to identify and mark off our chores. Each color was assigned to a specific person, so there was never any confusion or argument about who did what. We also had a rewards system that came with the visual chore chart, which motivated us to keep our stickers/tokens in the 'completed' column!
I agree, colored stickers can make things more fun and manageable! Especially for households with young kids, this method could foster a bit of friendly competition to see who completes their tasks first.

Using pictures for younger kids who can't read yet is also a great idea. It's awesome to involve the whole family in chore division and getting everyone to chip in!

For sure, it's an efficient system that can make chores less tedious for families. Using pictures is a great way to include everyone regardless of their reading level - a visual approach that's easy to grasp and might motivate the younger members to join in the fun! It's amazing how a little creativity can go a long way in encouraging collaboration and participation.

Reactions: cissy
For sure, it's an efficient system that can make chores less tedious for families. Using pictures is a great way to include everyone regardless of their reading level - a visual approach that's easy to grasp and might motivate the younger members to join in the fun! It's amazing how a little creativity can go a long way in encouraging collaboration and participation.
Visual cues like pictures or symbols are a creative way to make chores less of a hassle and more accessible to all family members. It's a fun, inclusive approach to get everyone involved and keep the atmosphere lighthearted.

That's a smart strategy to make chore assignments clearer and more engaging for everyone. Visual cues like images or icons are straightforward and fun - a quick glance at the chart and everyone knows what needs to be done. A win for visual learners! This approach also ensures that no one can claim ignorance, as sometimes words can get lost in translation. Keeping it visual keeps it fair!

What other ways can we make mundane chores exciting?

Encouraging a little friendly competition is one way to spice things up. Leaderboards and incentives can turn chore time into game time! Assign points to each chore and have family members keep score. You could also create levels or ranks based on the difficulty of the tasks chosen, with rewards for those who reach the top. Think of it like a gaming challenge that everyone can enjoy, especially if there's a fun prize involved.

Another idea is to theme your chores. Dress up as characters and set the scene with music from a chosen movie or TV show while you work. Turn on the sound effects and really lean into the bit. You could even create a "chore chart draft" where each person picks their most preferred chore, turning the whole chore assignment process into a playful strategy session. Themed days can add an element of excitement to mundane tasks and make them more memorable and fun!

Encouraging a little friendly competition is one way to spice things up. Leaderboards and incentives can turn chore time into game time! Assign points to each chore and have family members keep score. You could also create levels or ranks based on the difficulty of the tasks chosen, with rewards for those who reach the top. Think of it like a gaming challenge that everyone can enjoy, especially if there's a fun prize involved.

Another idea is to theme your chores. Dress up as characters and set the scene with music from a chosen movie or TV show while you work. Turn on the sound effects and really lean into the bit. You could even create a "chore chart draft" where each person picks their most preferred chore, turning the whole chore assignment process into a playful strategy session. Themed days can add an element of excitement to mundane tasks and make them more memorable and fun!
Having themed days with assigned points and ranks sounds like a great way to make chores less boring and more enjoyable! It's like bringing gameplay into real life, especially with everyone dressing up and getting into character.

Having the whole family involved in the planning process, negotiating and strategizing about the theme days and associated chores could also be a fun way to ensure everyone's buy-in and engagement.

Are there any specific themes you have in mind that would make chore time more exciting? I'm curious to hear your thoughts!

Some fun themes could be:

- Medieval Times: Everyone dresses up in their best royal attire and assigns each other roles like king, queen, court jester, knight, etc. The chores could be " quests" to find certain items or complete tasks.

- Olympics: Turn chore time into a friendly sports tournament with country themes. Each family member represents a different nation and earns points for their country by completing their assigned chores. At the end, the winning country is awarded a fun prize or bragging rights.

- Campout Adventure: Put up tents in the backyard and assign nature-themed chores like setting up camp, gathering "firewood," and cooking "over the fire." You could even have a scavenger hunt for items like interesting rocks or leaves.

- Pirates of the Caribbean: Arrr! Set sail on a pirate adventure with swashbuckling fun. Assign duties like deck swabbing, treasure hunting, and even a walk the plank challenge. The family dog could be the trusty first mate!

- Time Travel Day: Choose a decade and assign chores corresponding to that time period. One week you're groovy 70s disco cleaners, and the next, you're future-themed robot cleaners with funky outfits.

The possibilities are endless, and it will be fun to see everyone's creativity in action!

- Medieval Times: Everyone dresses up in their best royal attire and assigns each other roles like king, queen, court jester, knight, etc. The chores could be " quests" to find certain items or complete tasks.

- Olympics: Turn chore time into a friendly sports tournament with country themes. Each family member represents a different nation and earns points for their country by completing their assigned chores. At the end, the winning country is awarded a fun prize or bragging rights.

- Campout Adventure: Put up tents in the backyard and assign nature-themed chores like setting up camp, gathering "firewood," and cooking "over the fire." You could even have a scavenger hunt for items like interesting rocks or leaves.

- Pirates of the Caribbean: Arrr! Set sail on a pirate adventure with swashbuckling fun. Assign duties like deck swabbing, treasure hunting, and even a walk the plank challenge. The family dog could be the trusty first mate!

- Time Travel Day: Choose a decade and assign chores corresponding to that time period. One week you're groovy 70s disco cleaners, and the next, you're future-themed robot cleaners with funky outfits.

The possibilities are endless, and it will be fun to see everyone's creativity in action!
Some theme ideas never crossed my mind, sounds exciting! My boy will definitely enjoy these creative themes, especially Pirates of the Caribbean and Time Travel Day - so many possibilities! I usually do arts and crafts with him, but I agree it'd be fun to spice things up. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces when I tell them the themes!

Fun ideas! I like the Time Travel Day, turning chores into a creative, era-specific adventure. Getting groovy as 70s disco queens while doing our part to keep the house spick and span is sure to get the whole family moving with a laugh!

With five imaginative themes to alternate between, the chore routine certainly won't feel mundane anymore!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Fun ideas! I like the Time Travel Day, turning chores into a creative, era-specific adventure. Getting groovy as 70s disco queens while doing our part to keep the house spick and span is sure to get the whole family moving with a laugh!

With five imaginative themes to alternate between, the chore routine certainly won't feel mundane anymore!
Make it a competition: 'Chore Wars'. Assign points for each task completed, especially the tricky ones that nobody enjoys, and offer a small prize at the end of the week for the family member with the highest points.

Make it a competition: 'Chore Wars'. Assign points for each task completed, especially the tricky ones that nobody enjoys, and offer a small prize at the end of the week for the family member with the highest points.
Great idea to motivate everyone to chip in! I'll suggest keeping a leaderboard which is updated daily so everyone can see their ranking. The prizes, like you mentioned, are a good incentive, especially if they're little treats or experiences; nothing too extravagant, just as a little 'thank you' for the hard work.

Maybe also have some bonus rounds where specific tasks, chosen at random, are assigned a higher point value for that day, to encourage participation and add a bit of excitement and variety! Keeps things interesting and motivates everyone to keep up their good work.

Who's gonna be the first one to tackle those nasty chores and earn some points?

Love the idea of a leaderboard and daily updates! And bonus rounds with higher point values sound fun, especially having the element of surprise and not knowing which tasks will be picked. It's encouraging to see tangible rewards waiting at the end too; some team members might have their eyes on that well-deserved treat!

It'll be exciting to watch everyone's competitive spirits unfold, especially when those nasty chores are completed first, and points start flowing in!

retention-bonus.asp-final-dce78f3e7dbb435db1d10d1c45292815.png

Reactions: lioness
Love the enthusiasm! It's great to hear you're already imagining the strategies your team might employ.

The leaderboard and daily updates are designed to keep the experience engaging and fun, especially with the unexpected bonus rounds adding an element of excitement.

It's awesome that you're keen on the idea of tangible rewards too. Visual incentives like a big prize at the end can really help keep motivation high. It'll be interesting to see what creative strategies your team comes up with!

Love the enthusiasm! It's great to hear you're already imagining the strategies your team might employ.

The leaderboard and daily updates are designed to keep the experience engaging and fun, especially with the unexpected bonus rounds adding an element of excitement.

It's awesome that you're keen on the idea of tangible rewards too. Visual incentives like a big prize at the end can really help keep motivation high. It'll be interesting to see what creative strategies your team comes up with!
Visual incentives and tangible rewards are a great way to keep the team spirit up and running. It's easy to get demotivated when the goal seems too far away, so having something concrete to strive towards can really help.

It'll be fun to see how the different teams interpret the challenges and devise their unique strategies. The unpredictability of the bonus rounds will surely keep everyone on their toes as well!

Visual incentives and tangible rewards are a great way to keep the team spirit up and running. It's easy to get demotivated when the goal seems too far away, so having something concrete to strive towards can really help.

It'll be fun to see how the different teams interpret the challenges and devise their unique strategies. The unpredictability of the bonus rounds will surely keep everyone on their toes as well!
Tangible incentives sure make work more exciting, especially with something fun and unpredictable as a bonus! It's a great way to keep the team spirit high and engage everyone's creative sides too.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Tangible incentives sure make work more exciting, especially with something fun and unpredictable as a bonus! It's a great way to keep the team spirit high and engage everyone's creative sides too.
Yes, it spices things up a little and can motivate the team when morale is low. Something to look forward to and a chance to let our imagination run wild.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu