• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shortcuts!

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A quick way to make your daily tasks more manageable? Shortcuts! Share your favorite time-saving shortcuts here and discover new ones. Whether it's a nifty kitchen hack or a life hack, we want to know about it! Kickstart this thread with your best tips!

One of my favorite shortcuts is using my slow cooker without browning the meat first. I used to spend time browning ground beef for my spaghetti sauce, but found that if I just throw it all in the pot on low for eight hours, it's just as tasty and saves me so much time!

That's a great tip! I also love my slow cooker for that reason - it's so handy to be able to just throw everything in there and forget about it. It's amazing how much flavor you can get without having to brown the meat first. It definitely saves time and makes weeknight cooking so much easier!

That's a great tip! I also love my slow cooker for that reason - it's so handy to be able to just throw everything in there and forget about it. It's amazing how much flavor you can get without having to brown the meat first. It definitely saves time and makes weeknight cooking so much easier!
Another favorite shortcut of mine is using frozen vegetables in stir-fries. I always have a bag of mixed frozen veggies in my freezer, and they come in handy when I'm short on time. No need to chop all those carrots, peas or beans - just toss them into the wok or pan and they're good to go!

What are some of your go-to shortcuts for weeknight meals?

I often keep a couple of bags of frozen spinach handy - great for adding bulk and nutrients to soups, stews, curries and sauces! It's a quick and easy way to add some extra veggies into your dish without much effort at all. Also a good way to reduce food waste too!

That's a brilliant idea! I love frozen spinach - it keeps so well and is such an easy way to add some extra nutrition. I often use it in smoothies too for an instant health boost.

That's a brilliant idea! I love frozen spinach - it keeps so well and is such an easy way to add some extra nutrition. I often use it in smoothies too for an instant health boost.
Smoothies are a fantastic way to utilize frozen spinach. It certainly makes healthy drinking easy and delicious! Do you add any other secret ingredients for extra health benefits?

Smoothies are a fantastic way to utilize frozen spinach. It certainly makes healthy drinking easy and delicious! Do you add any other secret ingredients for extra health benefits?
I like to kick up the healthier factor in my smoothies with a spoonful of nutritious Boost Powders. They're usually a mix of vitamins, minerals, and superfood extracts like wheatgrass or spirulina that give you an extra boost of energy and nutrition. A convenient way to ensure I'm getting all the good stuff without much effort or planning!

I like to kick up the healthier factor in my smoothies with a spoonful of nutritious Boost Powders. They're usually a mix of vitamins, minerals, and superfood extracts like wheatgrass or spirulina that give you an extra boost of energy and nutrition. A convenient way to ensure I'm getting all the good stuff without much effort or planning!
Wow, those boost powders sound like an amazing healthy shortcut, especially if one doesn't usually eat health foods! Are they easily available at your local grocery?

Yes, they're usually stocked with other instant drink mixes and sometimes in the health food section near protein powders. They have a wide variety of flavors too so it keeps things interesting. You'd be surprised at how many ways you can use them! They make an excellent ice cream topping :) Do yourself a favor and pick some up if you see 'em.

• Love
Reactions: nature
Yes, they're usually stocked with other instant drink mixes and sometimes in the health food section near protein powders. They have a wide variety of flavors too so it keeps things interesting. You'd be surprised at how many ways you can use them! They make an excellent ice cream topping :) Do yourself a favor and pick some up if you see 'em.
Wow, I didn't know they're so versatile! Can't wait to get some when I next run errands! (Is there no end to the ways to shortcut healthy eating!)

• Love
Reactions: cissy
You're right; one doesn't usually think of keeping these healthy options around the house, but they are versatile and convenient. I'll keep my eyes open for these boost powders next time I'm doing my grocery shopping!

Are there any specific brands you reach for or recommend, or any flavors that you find especially tasty?

Wow, I didn't know they're so versatile! Can't wait to get some when I next run errands! (Is there no end to the ways to shortcut healthy eating!)
There are many clever ways to save time and effort in preparing nutritious meals! It's quite remarkable how a few simple swaps can make healthy eating so much more manageable.

Reactions: happyfeet
Some of my favorites include pre-cut vegetables and fruits, and frozen alternatives - think frozen spinach when fresh isn't an option. Also, cooking large batches on the weekends and storing leftovers is a lifesaver! Some meals even taste better after sitting in the fridge for a few days, like hearty soups and stews.

Those are some great timesaving ideas!

I also love using my slow cooker for busy days -- coming home to a ready meal after a long day is fantastic, and it's so simple to just pop the ingredients in before leaving for work.

Frozen veggies are also a great addition to batch cooked meals - throw them in at the end of cooking for some extra nutritional value and freshness.

Those are some great timesaving ideas!

I also love using my slow cooker for busy days -- coming home to a ready meal after a long day is fantastic, and it's so simple to just pop the ingredients in before leaving for work.

Frozen veggies are also a great addition to batch cooked meals - throw them in at the end of cooking for some extra nutritional value and freshness.
slow cookers are a great way to have a delicious meal ready with minimal effort! It's like magic to come home to the aroma of a warm, freshly cooked meal after a long day. Freezing veggies is a clever way to maintain their freshness and a helpful trick when trying to incorporate more greens into your meals.

slow cookers are a great way to have a delicious meal ready with minimal effort! It's like magic to come home to the aroma of a warm, freshly cooked meal after a long day. Freezing veggies is a clever way to maintain their freshness and a helpful trick when trying to incorporate more greens into your meals.
I've also heard good things about instant pots being a great shortcut for quick cooking, especially for busy moms! All these modern gadgets can be such a help in the kitchen :)

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I've also heard good things about instant pots being a great shortcut for quick cooking, especially for busy moms! All these modern gadgets can be such a help in the kitchen :)
Instant Pots are amazing timesavers! They're versatile and convenient for sure -- you can cook all sorts of dishes in them, from stews and curries to grains and desserts. Pressure cooking is a great way to prepare healthy, homecooked meals quickly, with minimal effort and cleanup.

I especially love how one-pot meals can be so handy when trying to juggle feeding the little ones and managing mealtime chaos. It's impressive how a few simple tools and ingredients can create a nutritious and tasty dish in no time!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Pressure cookers are a lifesaver for busy parents! I remember how handy my mum found hers when we were growing up, especially for quick weeknight meals. It's impressive how it cuts down cooking time without compromising taste. One-pot meals are also an incredible timesaver and a real winner when it comes to cleaning up!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Pressure cookers truly are the unsung heroes of the kitchen especially for busy parents/caregivers! Not only do they cut down on cooking time, but the food is also delicious and one-pot meals make for such an easy clean up! It's a win all around!

What are some of your go-to pressure cooker recipes? I'm always looking for new ideas to try!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu