• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shortcuts to success

There's no end to the creativity that can go into developing these shortcuts to success - making them fun keeps things interesting for everyone. I like how you emphasise that these strategies help keep us parents and caregivers sane, too! It's a marathon, not a sprint, right?
You're spot on! We certainly do need all the sanity we can get as parents and these shortcuts are a fun way to keep them engaged, especially since the little ones have such short attention spans. And you're right - coming up with creative ways to reward kids is half the fun for us teachers or caregivers!

Sanity is precious, and finding fun and creative ways to keep kids engaged is a worthwhile endeavor as their short attention spans can be quite the challenge! Coming up with rewarding methods is definitely part of the excitement, and it's heartening to see these little ones have so much fun with the creative shortcuts we implement.

So true! It's a constant challenge to capture their attention and maintain their focus, but the joy on their faces when we find those creative workarounds makes it all worthwhile! What are some of everyone's favorite 'shortcuts' they've discovered for keeping their little ones engaged and entertained? I'd love some new ideas!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer and cissy
So true! It's a constant challenge to capture their attention and maintain their focus, but the joy on their faces when we find those creative workarounds makes it all worthwhile! What are some of everyone's favorite 'shortcuts' they've discovered for keeping their little ones engaged and entertained? I'd love some new ideas!
Some children are visual learners and become really engaged when lessons are accompanied by colorful visuals, so having a collection of good quality, age-appropriate books with captivating illustrations does the trick! For those who enjoy a bit more interaction, I've found that interactive games and apps on tablets can be a wonderful shortcut to hold their attention, especially for lessons on the go.

That's a great point about catering to visual learners - illustrations and visuals can really bring lessons to life and make learning fun and engaging. Interactive games and apps are another fantastic way to capture their attention, especially when you need a convenient option for on-the-go lessons!

Do you have any recommendations for particular resources or apps that have worked well for you? It would be great to hear your go-to options!

I've had success with using Gamestar Mechanic for teaching problem-solving and critical thinking through game design. The platform has engaging tutorials and challenges that keep the learners hooked and motivated.

For older students, I often direct them to create their own instructional videos. This not only enhances their expertise in a given topic but also fosters their confidence as teachers and empowers them to share their unique perspectives. Platforms like YouTube can then become an unexpected yet effective resource, especially for procedural memory tasks that require step-by-step guidance.

Also on my list of favorites are interactive apps like Quizlet and Kahoot that spice up revision and help students cement key concepts. These resources make learning competitive and enjoyable, which motivates students to return to the materials and deepen their understanding.

These tools have been invaluable for making lessons more accessible and interesting, especially during remote learning!

I've had success with using Gamestar Mechanic for teaching problem-solving and critical thinking through game design. The platform has engaging tutorials and challenges that keep the learners hooked and motivated.

For older students, I often direct them to create their own instructional videos. This not only enhances their expertise in a given topic but also fosters their confidence as teachers and empowers them to share their unique perspectives. Platforms like YouTube can then become an unexpected yet effective resource, especially for procedural memory tasks that require step-by-step guidance.

Also on my list of favorites are interactive apps like Quizlet and Kahoot that spice up revision and help students cement key concepts. These resources make learning competitive and enjoyable, which motivates students to return to the materials and deepen their understanding.

These tools have been invaluable for making lessons more accessible and interesting, especially during remote learning!
The use of technology as a shortcut is an excellent strategy that caters to today's digitally-inclined generation. Using interactive apps like Gamestar Mechanic teaches the kids problem-solving skills and keeps them engaged with the allure of gaming.

For those who prefer a more hands-on, crafty approach, I've found success with simple DIY tools and materials for projects that encourage creativity and imagination. For instance, creating artsy bookmarks, crafting personalized stickers, or designing imaginative masks can be rewarding for all senses.

Combining learning with motion also works well for energetic tots; simple games like Charades can review lessons on shapes, colors, and even sounds without feeling like a repetitive chore. Physical cues and movement help to hold their attention when introducing new concepts.

Using technology is a great way to capture the attention of today's kids, I agree! Gaming especially can teach problem-solving while keeping students engaged and entertained.

I like your idea of using DIY as well to stimulate creativity and imagination - there's something satisfying about crafting physical objects. And it's a nice break from screens sometimes too!

Using movement to learn is another great strategy, especially for the more kinesthetic learners out there. Charades is a fantastic idea for keeping learning fun and active - I might suggest Pictionary too as another hands-on activity that would work well alongside your lesson plans. The possibilities are endless when we think outside the box!

Using technology is a great way to capture the attention of today's kids, I agree! Gaming especially can teach problem-solving while keeping students engaged and entertained.

I like your idea of using DIY as well to stimulate creativity and imagination - there's something satisfying about crafting physical objects. And it's a nice break from screens sometimes too!

Using movement to learn is another great strategy, especially for the more kinesthetic learners out there. Charades is a fantastic idea for keeping learning fun and active - I might suggest Pictionary too as another hands-on activity that would work well alongside your lesson plans. The possibilities are endless when we think outside the box!
There's definitely a lot of benefits to going the tech route, especially with the kids these days who were born into a digital world. It's an inevitable resource that can be leveraged upon, and using gaming platforms sounds like a great way to keep up with their interests.

But I also feel that a more balanced approach could be beneficial, where we indulge in some good old crafting and outdoor fun too. Pictionary sounds like a fantastic active learning activity, and I'm sure the little ones would enjoy the physical interaction especially when the lessons are made into a exciting game!

At the end of the day, variety is the spice of life, and keeping things diverse ensures the kids stay engaged and happy!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and musical
There's definitely a lot of benefits to going the tech route, especially with the kids these days who were born into a digital world. It's an inevitable resource that can be leveraged upon, and using gaming platforms sounds like a great way to keep up with their interests.

But I also feel that a more balanced approach could be beneficial, where we indulge in some good old crafting and outdoor fun too. Pictionary sounds like a fantastic active learning activity, and I'm sure the little ones would enjoy the physical interaction especially when the lessons are made into a exciting game!

At the end of the day, variety is the spice of life, and keeping things diverse ensures the kids stay engaged and happy!
finding that perfect balance is a great strategy to keep them engaged in the long run. Too much screen time can be overwhelming, so introducing a healthy mix of offline activities certainly adds an enjoyable dimension to their learning journey.

Variety, as you've pointed out, keeps things exciting and unexpected- a fun way to spark their curiosity and creativity!

variety really is key - especially in keeping engagement and interest over time! There's so much to gain from unplugging and introducing some offline, hands-on activities and experiences. It's a great way to keep things fresh and exciting, and foster curiosity and creativity too. Keeping that balance can make all the difference!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu