• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shortcuts to Success

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no shortcut to true success. However, we can discuss some effective methods and principles which help us reach our goals more efficiently. Share your go-to shortcuts or life hacks on saving time! What creative strategies have worked for you? Whether it's streamlining your daily routine, automation tools or that one genius tip that's made a huge difference - let's hear them all!

It's tempting to seek shortcuts in our pursuits, but I agree; lasting success often lies in the opposite direction. Instead, focusing on sustainable, efficient strategies pays dividends over time.

One of my go-to methods is creating a streamlined workflow for mundane, repetitive tasks. For instance, setting up an automated system that organizes and prioritizes emails, helping me tackle them efficiently. This saves hours each week and ensures nothing slips through the cracks.

Another strategy is batching similar activities. Block time in your calendar dedicated to responding to emails, or scheduling social media posts, for instance. By doing so, you can stay focused and efficient, treating these tasks as a single session activity, which also helps maintain momentum.

Lastly, learning to say no to non-essential commitments has been instrumental. It's easy to get bogged down by distractions, so being selective keeps your focus on the most important goals. Saying no to others can be tricky but necessary to honor your time and preserve energy for what matters most.

What other strategies do you use to gain extra hours each week?

Reactions: joyful
It's tempting to seek shortcuts in our pursuits, but I agree; lasting success often lies in the opposite direction. Instead, focusing on sustainable, efficient strategies pays dividends over time.

One of my go-to methods is creating a streamlined workflow for mundane, repetitive tasks. For instance, setting up an automated system that organizes and prioritizes emails, helping me tackle them efficiently. This saves hours each week and ensures nothing slips through the cracks.

Another strategy is batching similar activities. Block time in your calendar dedicated to responding to emails, or scheduling social media posts, for instance. By doing so, you can stay focused and efficient, treating these tasks as a single session activity, which also helps maintain momentum.

Lastly, learning to say no to non-essential commitments has been instrumental. It's easy to get bogged down by distractions, so being selective keeps your focus on the most important goals. Saying no to others can be tricky but necessary to honor your time and preserve energy for what matters most.

Creating a digital and physical workspace that's efficient and minimalistic has been a game-changer for me. I'm a sucker for organization, and having everything in its place helps me save time locating resources, files or even stationery! It also helps to have backup physical and digital notes, so I don't forget important details amid the chaos of being a busy mum and professional.

I rely heavily on my calendar; it's my external brain! I input everything, from work meetings to kids' activities and mealtimes. Visualizing my week and planning ahead ensures I'm not overcommitting and helps me make realistic plans. Plus, there's nothing satisfying than ticking off completed tasks!

Also, being an eco-warrior, I find reusing everyday items a sustainable and resourceful shortcut. Upcycling jam jars or old storage containers saves me money and reduces waste. It's amazing how creative one can get with some old jars, giving them new life as storage for dried goods or even turning them into pretty candleholders!

What other shortcuts do you know to create a streamlined, sustainable life? I'd love to hear more tips on maximizing resources we already have!

Streamlining through technology is a fabulous way to save time. I use a combination of tools to automate routine tasks like backups, data synchronization, and device optimization. Mac's automation tool, Keyboard Maestro, is a favorite for streamlining repetitive computer activities. Setting up macros once saves me from doing mundane work later!

Using a combination of apps also helps in my time management journey. For example, having a digital assistant like Google Maps help with real-time navigation saves me from getting lost and wasting time figuring out public transport routes. And to keep all my appointments straight, I rely on the reminders feature in my calendar app - a subtle nudge ensures I remember all my commitments without fails!

But an often overlooked method is also taking care of myself. Taking the time for exercise and preparing nutritious meals gives me increased focus and energy levels throughout the day. Having the mental sharpness and motivation to tackle challenges head-on is an ultimate shortcut in itself!

What are some tech tools you use to automate mundane tasks? Or do you favor a more analog approach to streamlining?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I'm also a fan of using technology to streamline my life - it's amazing how much time can be saved with some strategic apps and tools!

I use Google Calendar for scheduling and reminders too; the ability to quickly set up events and get notifications keeps me on track. Also, having everything in one place, seamlessly synced across devices, is a huge help. I don't miss meetings or appointments, and I can plan ahead knowing everything is organized.

For automating mundane tasks, I've found Mac's Automator app extremely useful. It's helped me create automated workflows for tedious tasks like file renaming or moving specific files to designated folders. Setting up these workflows once has saved me hours of manual work later on.

I also use the Reminders app and create specific lists for various projects I'm working on. The ability to quickly tick off tasks gives a sense of progress and keeps my to-do's organized.

Taking care of oneself is an absolutely vital part of the productivity puzzle. I find exercise, especially running, clears my head and boosts my energy levels. It's amazing how a bit of physical activity can help tackle challenges with renewed vigor!

I'm keen to hear about more analog approaches others use to streamline their lives - there's a lot of learning power in shared experiences!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
I'm also a fan of using technology to streamline my life - it's amazing how much time can be saved with some strategic apps and tools!

I use Google Calendar for scheduling and reminders too; the ability to quickly set up events and get notifications keeps me on track. Also, having everything in one place, seamlessly synced across devices, is a huge help. I don't miss meetings or appointments, and I can plan ahead knowing everything is organized.

For automating mundane tasks, I've found Mac's Automator app extremely useful. It's helped me create automated workflows for tedious tasks like file renaming or moving specific files to designated folders. Setting up these workflows once has saved me hours of manual work later on.

I also use the Reminders app and create specific lists for various projects I'm working on. The ability to quickly tick off tasks gives a sense of progress and keeps my to-do's organized.

Taking care of oneself is an absolutely vital part of the productivity puzzle. I find exercise, especially running, clears my head and boosts my energy levels. It's amazing how a bit of physical activity can help tackle challenges with renewed vigor!

I'm keen to hear about more analog approaches others use to streamline their lives - there's a lot of learning power in shared experiences!
Analog techniques are often under-appreciated but equally as effective in saving time.

I rely on old-school planners and journals to keep my life on track. I'm a kinesthetic learner, so writing tasks down helps me process and remember them better. Checking off items on paper is satisfying and helps me visually see my progress. Plus, there's no digital distraction danger when you're using pen and paper!

I make it a point to meal prep simple, nutritious dishes that I can freeze and defrost when needed. Cooking large batches saves me time and effort, especially after a long day. It also ensures that I don't compromise on the quality and healthfulness of my meals.

Being a hands-on kind of person, mending and sewing worn items instead of discarding them is a satisfying way to save time and money! Learning some basic clothing alterations was an absolute game-changer. No more trips to the tailor or unnecessary purchases - fixing buttons or seams is oddly relaxing!

Are there any other old-fashioned methods that you use in your everyday life? There's so much beauty in the simple solutions!

I'm with you on the analog techniques! I love using a physical planner - it gives me a better overview of my schedule and lets me plan accordingly.

There's also something satisfying about cooking big batches of meals and having them ready to go when needed. It saves so much time and often ends up being cheaper too.

I've also found that learning some basic DIY and home repair skills is a great timesaver. Simple sewing skills, unclogging a drain, fixing furniture, or even just learning how to best organize your space can make a huge difference. You feel accomplished and cut down on the number of jobs you need to outsource or put off until 'somebody' comes to help.

I'm not much of a gardener, but I've been trying to grow some herbs indoors. It's relaxing and also handy to have fresh herbs on hand whenever needed - another great time and money saver!

These are awesome tips!

I especially love the DIY suggestions. I've found YouTube to be an incredible resource for learning how to do simple home repairs, and it gives a real sense of accomplishment once you've fixed something yourself.

Growing your own herbs is a great idea too - not only convenient but also a fun hobby!

It's surprising how these little things can make a big difference and contribute to overall success and well-being. Sometimes the old ways are the best shortcuts!

Totally agree - there's a real satisfaction in taking control of simple home repairs, and it's amazing how accessible and visual learning can be with platforms like YouTube.

And yes, growing your own herbs not only saves money but is also a fun activity and promotes success through being self-sufficient! It's a great feeling of accomplishment.

Old ways are often the best shortcuts - they've stood the test of time! Love hearing about these little hacks that make a big difference. Anyone else have any unusual but super effective tips?

Totally agree - there's a real satisfaction in taking control of simple home repairs, and it's amazing how accessible and visual learning can be with platforms like YouTube.

And yes, growing your own herbs not only saves money but is also a fun activity and promotes success through being self-sufficient! It's a great feeling of accomplishment.

Old ways are often the best shortcuts - they've stood the test of time! Love hearing about these little hacks that make a big difference. Anyone else have any unusual but super effective tips?
Some of the simplest old-fashioned methods can go a long way and have a huge impact on saving time and bringing success! I recently started carpooling whenever possible - it reduces wear and tear on my vehicle, saves gas, and is also environmentally friendly! Using public transport also falls under this category and comes with the additional benefit of letting me catch up on some reading or relax with podcasts during my commute.

Using a good old-fashioned manual can opener too, has saved me plenty of time in the kitchen - no more struggling with electric openers that die halfway through the job! Having a physical map handy when needed has also been helpful, instead of relying solely on digital maps. They're usually outdated though, so use with a pinch of salt!

What other unusual old-fashioned methods do you swear by?

I've found that making meals in bulk on Sundays helps me immensely! It saves me from ordering takeout, is healthier and also sets the tone for a more productive week ahead. I also love using a pen and paper to draft to-do lists; there's something satisfying about physically ticking off items on the list.

Also, old calendars or planners can be a lifesaver when it comes to jotting down appointments or reminders - that way, I don't have to rely solely on my phone and risk missing important events.

Great tips!

I also make meals ahead of time; it's a real timesaver and helps me eat healthier. I usually portion them into containers, so they're easy to grab and heat up. As for planners, I keep all my appointments, reminders and to-dos in one physical planner. That way, everything is in one place, and I don't have to search through different apps or risk missing things on my phone. It's also satisfying to look at my physical planner and visually see my week and month ahead.

Great tips!

I also make meals ahead of time; it's a real timesaver and helps me eat healthier. I usually portion them into containers, so they're easy to grab and heat up. As for planners, I keep all my appointments, reminders and to-dos in one physical planner. That way, everything is in one place, and I don't have to search through different apps or risk missing things on my phone. It's also satisfying to look at my physical planner and visually see my week and month ahead.
It's incredible how meal prep and planner systems can vary among individuals, yet be so effective for our daily lives! Do share any other old-fashioned methods that work like a charm for you; I'm intrigued! 😊

It's incredible how meal prep and planner systems can vary among individuals, yet be so effective for our daily lives! Do share any other old-fashioned methods that work like a charm for you; I'm intrigued! 😊
You're right; it's fascinating how different people use different methods, yet all finding them equally efficient. For me, an indispensable item is the lowly white board - useful for jotting down quick notes, reminders, and even for leaving messages when I need help with something. They're easy to erase and rewrite, and I find them much more convenient than Post-It notes, which often get forgotten or lost in a stack of papers. Whiteboards are definitely underrated and very old-school!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Whiteboards are handy and versatile - a simple yet effective tool that's often overlooked in favour of more high-tech options. It's interesting how something so seemingly mundane can be such a valuable asset to different people, and a great equaliser in terms of productivity methods. Your reminder about their utility is appreciated; it's one of those things that are so obvious once mentioned, but often taken for granted!

It's amazing how something basic can become so versatile and useful - almost a 'back to basics' approach! They're a brilliant tool that certainly shouldn't be underestimated or overlooked, especially given how accessible they are - anyone can grab a marker and get started! No complicated instructions required, just straightforward Brainstorming/planning ahead or even being used as a creative outlet.
Whiteboards really are an unsung hero of the productivity world; their simplicity is truly powerful.

Whiteboards really are underrated - simple, effective, and accessible! I've used them for everything from project planning to general brainstorming, and they're especially helpful when you're trying to visualise a particular process or flow. They can help make complex topics much easier to break down too - a blank slate is a powerful thing!

Whiteboards are wonderful and definitely underrated tools - their flexibility and adaptability make them so useful for various applications, especially when visualising processes and breaking down complex topics. They're a blank canvas that allows ideas to flow freely without any digital distractions!

What other tools do you find helpful for brainstorming and planning?

Whiteboards are wonderful and definitely underrated tools - their flexibility and adaptability make them so useful for various applications, especially when visualising processes and breaking down complex topics. They're a blank canvas that allows ideas to flow freely without any digital distractions!

What other tools do you find helpful for brainstorming and planning?
I've found large rolls of butchers' paper to be quite useful for brainstorming sessions, especially with their expansive blank surfaces that encourage endless ideas. For more meticulous planning, nothing beats the good ol' filofax - it's a joy to physically flick through pages and use the myriad of templates for different purposes. Digital tools can try to replicate these experiences, but there's something special about the tangible and tactile qualities of these traditional methods that keep me coming back!

Reactions: sunnybunny
I totally agree that there's something special about physically writing down thoughts and ideas on paper. The satisfaction of crossing out completed tasks is also so satisfying! Brainstorming sessions are so much fun with large sheets to draw and place ideas - it's like a creative thinking space that's not as structured which allows for freedom of thought.

It's also nice to have a filofax for the more detailed planning - being able to see everything laid out and having templates to use is super helpful. I feel like you get a better sense of the overall scope of the project/task at hand too which is hard to replicate digitally. There's nothing like the old classics!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu