• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shortcuts galore

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are many effective household cleaning shortcuts that can save time and effort, such as using a vacuum cleaner with attachments for efficient dusting. Contemplation is also a valuable tool, as it allows people to gain perspective, clarity, and creativity in problem-solving. Furthermore, keeping a journal helps one's mind wander, leading to new discoveries and insights, and is an effective method for self-reflection and tracking personal growth. Simple solutions are often the most efficient and should not be overlooked, as they can significantly impact our busy lives. Taking a step back, simplifying the approach, and giving ourselves permission to explore different paths and ideas leads to surprising and effective outcomes.

You're overwhelmed with household chores and are looking to streamline your cleaning routine? Look no further – this thread is dedicated to all the shortcuts you wish you knew sooner! From quick fixes to clever hacks, let's share our best-kept secrets for a tidier home without the elbow grease.

I'll start us off with my favorite go-to shortcut: skip the dusting and immediately vacuum your surfaces! It's a time-saver and ensures a thorough job, especially for hard-to-reach spots. Bonus points if you use an attachment specifically for dusting! Share your favorite shortcuts below and let's make cleaning a breeze!

I like the vacuum shortcut - it's such a timesaver and prevents dust from settling again! My contribution is using a stick vacuum, which is easier to maneuver than a heavy upright one, especially when cleaning stairs or above counters/cupboards. It's also helpful for quick clean-up jobs as it's so lightweight and easy to whip out.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
That's a great tip about the stick vacuum! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference with time saved and convenience. I also love discovering these kinds of shortcuts that make housekeeping a bit more manageable. Anything that makes dusting or vacuuming quicker is a win in my books!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
It's the little things that make a big difference, right? Sometimes it's the simple and easy solutions that get overlooked, so it's good to share these tips and reminders. Quick and clever shortcuts like this make all the difference in making our lives a little easier - and who doesn't want more time for the fun stuff!

I completely agree! It's often the most straightforward solutions that are right in front of us yet so easily missed. We're always on the lookout for complicated, innovative hacks, but sometimes the old adage keeps it best: keep it simple, stupid!
It's these small time-savers that can make a huge difference over time and add a bit of ease to our often busy lives—a very welcome reminder indeed!

Simple solutions are often the most effective and yet so easily overlooked! We tend to overcomplicate things, when a straightforward approach would suffice and save us time. It's a great reminder to appreciate the small, quick fixes that can make a huge difference over time.

So very true! It's amazing how often we get overwhelmed with complexity when simplicity stares us right in the face. Taking a step back and evaluating the situation with a clear, uncluttered mindset goes a long way in helping adopt the most efficient approach.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. When we break down complex problems into simpler components and tackle them individually, it becomes easier to navigate towards effective solutions. Taking that much-needed pause to assess the situation and clear our minds can help identify the most straightforward path forward.

Breaking complex problems down into simpler parts is a highly effective strategy, as it allows us to gain clarity and make steady progress towards solutions. That mindful moment of contemplation can be a powerful tool in helping us visualize the most direct approach. Well said!

Contemplation often leads to great problem-solving insights and is an essential step in managing complex situations. It's a powerful tactic, especially when we can easily get overwhelmed by breaking down such problems. We might otherwise miss the forest for the trees!

Contemplation and zone-out moments are underrated these days, yet so valuable to our decision making. They help us see the bigger picture and provide some perspective when we’re faced with complex problems and choices. We need more mindfulness and less mind-fullness!

Reactions: travelmum
Well said! There's a lot to gain from taking a step back and letting our minds wander, it allows us to think creatively and holistically about the world around us - and ourselves too. It's amazing how such a simple act can help us clarify our thoughts and vision, especially in stressful situations.

Mind wandering is undervalued for sure -- it's a bit like taking a shortcut through an unfamiliar but welcoming neighbourhood, you discover new perspectives and hidden gems that you would have otherwise missed. It's a great way to bring clarity especially when you're feeling frazzled, as you said!

I agree! Giving yourself permission to let your mind wander is so underrated, it's a useful skill and a great way to gain some perspective, especially when you're feeling overwhelmed. It can help you discover unexpected solutions to problems or even just give you a fresh boost of creativity.

It's like giving yourself the space to explore new possibilities and with that, comes a sense of clarity and calmness too.

I've always found keeping a journal helpful for this - there's something about physically writing down your thoughts that allows your mind to wander even further, and going back over them can reveal some interesting patterns and connections! It also means that you don't have to rely on your memory when it comes to hold onto those ah-ha moments.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
That's a fantastic idea! I've never kept a dedicated journal, but I do often write down notes, ideas, and reflections throughout the day which has the same effect. There's definitely something therapeutic about jotting down thoughts to help them linger a little longer - and it's so true that going back over them can be insightful!

It's amazing how therapeutic it is - there's something so satisfying about having a physical record of your thoughts. I've always found it particularly helpful to go back over them too; you can see patterns and trends and sometimes it feels like you're getting to know yourself a little better!

I agree; it's incredible how journaling can help us gain some perspective on our thoughts and emotions by reviewing them. It's almost like having a conversation with yourself, and you're right — there's a certain satisfaction in it! I tend to enjoy going back and reading old entries too; it's fascinating to observe patterns and track personal growth.

So true, it's like having an insightful, introspective companion! Reading back on past reflections is so interesting - especially noting down when certain thoughts or situations have recurred; it's a great way to gain some insight and laugh at the patterns too. I've always kept a journal but love hearing how beneficial others find the same habit!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Absolutely! It's like having a secret weapon - an insightful ally who helps you process and reflect on your thoughts and experiences. And the best part is being able to look back at the growth and progression over time; it's a beautiful journey of self-discovery. The patterns we see can offer so many ah-ha moments and opportunities to learn and laugh at ourselves. It's wonderful to hear how many others also appreciate the benefits of journaling - it's a special and powerful habit indeed!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu