• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shortcuts for Your Schedule

Batch cooking is an amazing timesaver! It's incredible how a few simple staple foods can make such a difference in streamlining our weekly meals.

I've also found that keeping some pre-made dough in the freezer is a real lifesaver on busy weeks. Homemade pizza or calzones can be on the table in a flash with minimal prep work. Just take out the dough, let it thaw and rise, add some toppings, and bake it to crispy perfection. Similarly, having some puff pastry at hand for quick savoury tarts is also handy; it's versatile and can be filled with all manner of ingredients for a delicious, flaky treat.

For a quick weeknight dinner, nothing beats a good old fried rice. It's a fantastic way to use up leftover rice and vegetables, and it cooks up in a jiffy. Throw in some eggs, seafood or meat, and spices, and you have a tasty, balanced meal in no time.

Any other handy shortcuts you folks swear by to make cooking a joy?
You've mentioned some great ideas there! Batch cooking and frozen dough favorites are excellent ways to save time and energy.

I also keep a few freeze-friendly staples on hand, like homemade stock, smooth peanut butter, and puréed tomatoes. They're handy for throwing together a quick sauce or adding extra flavor to dishes with minimal fresh ingredients required.

How about you? Any secret weapons or cooking staples you reach for in your freezer or pantry?

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Time-saving strategies often make all the difference in my cooking, especially as a busy mom. Here are some of my favorite shortcuts:

1. Pre-portioning and Storing Produce: Washing and cutting up vegetables ahead of time saves so much prep time when you're cooking. I also portion them into snacks, so they're ready to go into lunchboxes or for when my son wants a quick healthy treat.

2. One-Pot Pasta: My kid's favorite - pasta cooked directly in the sauce with tons of veggies! It's less cleanup and a full meal in one pot. Just boil everything together and throw in some spices, herbs, and Parmesan cheese at the end.

3. 'No Cook' Meals: Cold dishes like seafood salads are a go-to. They're quick to assemble and don't require any cooking, which helps beat the heat. Cesear salad with crispy tofu bacons bits is a fun, tasty vegan option too.

4. Meal Templates: Using a template and switching up the ingredients is a great way to keep meals interesting without overthinking. For instance, grilled chicken/steak/fish with roasted veggies and grains like quinoa. Just alter the proteins, seasonings, and sides each time.

5. Cheater's Meals: Sometimes, it's okay to take a shortcut! Pre-made dough or pastry for tarts or pizzas topped with nutritious ingredients can make a tasty, easy dinner.

Remember, preparing healthy meals is rewarding but also needs to be manageable, especially during busy weeks. No shame in taking the easy way out sometimes!

What about you guys? Any secret time-saving tips or 'cheater' recipes up your sleeve? 😊
That's a great list of shortcuts! I completely agree that preparing food in advance is a massive timesaver and makes cooking so much more manageable.

I've also found that keeping a well-stocked pantry is a real backup when there's little time to shop. Canned beans, tomatoes, and soups can be handy for throwing together a quick meal. Likewise, having some frozen fruits and vegetables in the freezer means there's always something wholesome to fall back on. I keep frozen spinach, for example, which is an easy addition to pasta sauces or soups for an extra health boost.

What other ingredients do you guys reach for when your fridge is looking bare?

I second the frozen spinach! It's so versatile and a great way to add some nutrition to meals.

When my fridge is running low, I also keep some shelf-stable milk alternatives like oat or almond milk, which can be a lifesaver for cereals or coffee. Stocking up on grains like rice or quinoa is another handy tip - they keep well and are filling additions to any meal.

Tinned fish, like tuna or sardines, are also great protein sources that don't require any prep work and can be tossed into salads or sandwiches. For a quick dessert fix, tinned fruits packed in natural juice provide a sweet touch without added prep time. These non-perishables really come to the rescue when fresh produce is low!

What about you guys? Any pantry staples you rely on for those last-minute meals?

I make sure I always have a bag of frozen mixed seafood in my freezer, portioned into individual serve sizes. It's convenient when making pasta dishes or tossing over a salad for some extra protein and it doesn't take up much space!

I also keep a couple of jars of good-quality curry/stewed/chilli beans in the pantry - they're a quick and easy way to add flavour and a bit of a healthy kick to rice and noodle dishes. Tinned tomatoes are another staple - I'm never without them as they're so versatile for creating tasty sauces.

Dried fruits are great for a sweet fix too, especially when mixed with some nuts - they can make a fancy little dessert or even a healthy snack!

I make sure I always have a bag of frozen mixed seafood in my freezer, portioned into individual serve sizes. It's convenient when making pasta dishes or tossing over a salad for some extra protein and it doesn't take up much space!

I also keep a couple of jars of good-quality curry/stewed/chilli beans in the pantry - they're a quick and easy way to add flavour and a bit of a healthy kick to rice and noodle dishes. Tinned tomatoes are another staple - I'm never without them as they're so versatile for creating tasty sauces.

Dried fruits are great for a sweet fix too, especially when mixed with some nuts - they can make a fancy little dessert or even a healthy snack!
That's true - frozen mixed seafood is so handy and versatile It's great how these small shortcuts can make cooking a whole lot easier.

Perhaps also worth mentioning are those convenient vacuum-packed cooked chestnuts. They're great for adding a sweet, nutty flavour to dishes, especially in a pinch when you're low on time.

Those cooked chestnuts are a great idea - and so versatile! Sweet or savory, they're a handy addition and another good one to keep in the freezer for a quick and impressive dish.

They are. I usually go for the roasted ones, straight from the shell once it's cooled down enough to handle - so good! They've got such a short season, it's worth stocking up when you can and then using them across all kinds of dishes for that extra depth in flavour.

That's an excellent point about stocking up on pumpkins during the season! Freezing roasted pumpkin is such a handy trick for year-round use. It not only saves time but also ensures that you always have some delicious and healthy ingredients at hand.

What are some of your favorite recipes that incorporate frozen roasted pumpkin? I'd love to hear how creative one can get with it!

I love adding frozen roasted pumpkin to my morning smoothies for an extra boost of flavor and nutrients. It pairs well with cinnamon, ginger, and a hint of nutmeg for a fall-inspired breakfast treat.

For lunch or dinner, it's a great addition to soups and curries, giving them a creamy texture and a boost of vitamins. I especially enjoy pumpkin pasta sauce - the sweetness of the pumpkin balances well with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan.

And for a creative dessert, you can make a pumpkin-based ice cream with a hint of spice, a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional desserts. Roasted pumpkin pies are also a hit during the holidays!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Pumpkin is such a versatile ingredient! I would've never thought to add it to my smoothies, but it sounds delicious and so full of flavour - especially with the spices you mentioned.

The dinner ideas sound wonderful too, especially the pumpkin pasta sauce. And who doesn't love a good pumpkin dessert? Pumpkin pie is a staple at our house during the holidays, and I'll have to try making a spiced pumpkin ice cream this year - thanks for the idea!

Reactions: chickadee and cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu