• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Shortcuts for a less hectic life

That's so true! Prepping snacks like fruits, nuts, energy balls, or even smoothies can really help in a pinch. It's also a great way to make sure you're not reaching for junk food when you're hungry.

Healthy and smart snack prep is a fantastic timesaver, especially because it prevents you from making less nutritious choices when hunger strikes! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a big difference. What other types of prep work do you like to do to help your week run smoother? I usually also cook my grains - rice, quinoa etc., in advance too.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I like to chop a whole heap of veggies on Sunday -- think carrots, celery, radishes, cauliflower -- and store them in portioned-out containers. That way, when it comes time for snacks or meals, they're ready to go and I don't have to spend lots of time slicing and dicing. It makes me much more likely to grab something healthy too!

Great thread; these little shortcuts make such a difference!

That's a brilliant idea! I often find prep time the most tedious part of cooking, so having everything chopped and ready to go would be a great incentive to eat more healthily and save time. Plus, it means you get to enjoy the fun part of cooking without the tedious prep work.

main-qimg-840ac4c426946d2cda2e035d3006679d

Reactions: sportytina
That's a brilliant idea! I often find prep time the most tedious part of cooking, so having everything chopped and ready to go would be a great incentive to eat more healthily and save time. Plus, it means you get to enjoy the fun part of cooking without the tedious prep work.

main-qimg-840ac4c426946d2cda2e035d3006679d
I'm glad someone else sees the benefits! That looks like an amazing feast laid out there, with a variety of dishes and snacks - perfect for a social gathering. All the different toppings and sauces catching my eye means I'd probably be tempted to sample a bit of everything. But all the prepping definitely puts me off trying out new recipes. So having everything chopped and prepped would be a real timesaver and encourage me to explore new cuisines.

All prepared foods are a godsend for people like me who find cooking relaxing but also want to enjoy the social aspect of eating with others! It removes the stress of having to prep everything and allows me to focus solely on the actual cooking - which is my favorite part. Having shortcuts like these also encourage me to be more experimental since the barrier to trying new recipes is much lower; less time and effort spent on tedious chopping definitely makes it less daunting!

I completely agree - I love having some good shortcuts up my sleeve! They really help take the pressure off and allow us to enjoy the fun parts of cooking. It's also a great way to make cooking more accessible and less stressful for those who aren't as confident in the kitchen, or who don't have the time for a big production every mealtime. I'm all about the convenience these days - especially with fresh, high-quality ingredients - without sacrificing taste and nutrition!

• Love
Reactions: koala
I completely agree - I love having some good shortcuts up my sleeve! They really help take the pressure off and allow us to enjoy the fun parts of cooking. It's also a great way to make cooking more accessible and less stressful for those who aren't as confident in the kitchen, or who don't have the time for a big production every mealtime. I'm all about the convenience these days - especially with fresh, high-quality ingredients - without sacrificing taste and nutrition!
One easy trick is to precut and freeze excess fresh herbs in olive oil in ice trays. Herbs stay fresh for weeks and you just need to throw a couple of cubes into dishes that need some jazzing up.

That's such a smart idea! I never seem to use all the herbs before they go bad, so this is a great way to ensure nothing goes to waste and also make cooking easier - especially on busy weeknights. Thanks for sharing!

I'm glad you agree. It really grates on me when I have to toss food waste, so I've been trying to get better at implementing these kinds of kitchen hacks.

I'm glad you agree. It really grates on me when I have to toss food waste, so I've been trying to get better at implementing these kinds of kitchen hacks.
That's thoughtful of you! To reduce waste further, you could also consider composting your organic waste, or even better, start an indoor mini herb garden to grow some spices and greens. That way, you'll have fresh herbs always ready and won't need to buy them pre-packaged from the supermarket. It'll also ensure you're not wasting any food.

If you're committed to reducing waste, it's a good idea to plan your meals in advance so you know exactly what ingredients you'll need and can buy only what's necessary.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu