• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Share Toddler Tactics

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your top tactics for managing your toddler's behavior! Whether it's distraction, positive reinforcement, or something else entirely, let's hear your best ideas! I'll go first - time outs are effective but I try not to rely on them too much, instead I give my tot an alternative activity that's related to the one she can't do (like if she tries to pull the cat's tail, I give her a toy cat doll to snuggle!).

That's a great strategy! I'm all about distraction too - it's amazing how well it works when you can find the right thing to divert their attention. I also try using sign language - my toddler knows some basic signs and it helps him communicate when he's getting frustrated (he's not quite there with speaking yet). So if he starts getting worked up over something, I'll prompt him to sign what he wants which helps calm him down AND saves us from a potential meltdown.

That's a great strategy! I'm all about distraction too - it's amazing how well it works when you can find the right thing to divert their attention. I also try using sign language - my toddler knows some basic signs and it helps him communicate when he's getting frustrated (he's not quite there with speaking yet). So if he starts getting worked up over something, I'll prompt him to sign what he wants which helps calm him down AND saves us from a potential meltdown.
Yes, distraction is a handy tool to have! Especially when you find that sweet spot with the right type of diversion.

Sign language is an awesome idea that I never thought of! It's great that it helps your toddler express his needs too. I can see how that would help de-escalate frustrated tot situations - their emotions run high sometimes, so any peaceful resolution is welcome!

I've been trying to instill a "wait your turn" patience tactic with our kids' toys. My daughter has a tendency to just grab whatever toy her friend is playing with, so I make her wait and follow the friend's lead. I want to teach her that we don't interrupt playtime like that, and it seems to be working so far! Hard to tell with toddlers, though - one day they listen, the next day it's like a totally new kid.

Yes, distraction is a handy tool to have! Especially when you find that sweet spot with the right type of diversion.

Sign language is an awesome idea that I never thought of! It's great that it helps your toddler express his needs too. I can see how that would help de-escalate frustrated tot situations - their emotions run high sometimes, so any peaceful resolution is welcome!

I've been trying to instill a "wait your turn" patience tactic with our kids' toys. My daughter has a tendency to just grab whatever toy her friend is playing with, so I make her wait and follow the friend's lead. I want to teach her that we don't interrupt playtime like that, and it seems to be working so far! Hard to tell with toddlers, though - one day they listen, the next day it's like a totally new kid.
The unpredictability of toddler behaviour keeps us on our toes, for sure! Teaching them to respect their peers' playtime is a great lesson, especially when they learn that they can look forward to their turn. It's a slow process but worth the effort when they eventually get it! Sign language seems like a good strategy to help toddlers express themselves better, which probably makes parents' lives a lot easier too!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm

You're right, toddlers can be quite unpredictable! One tactic that has worked well with my little ones is turning their frowns upside down by suggesting a fun activity or outing related to the thing they're upset about. For example, if they're cranky because they can't play in the muddy park due to the rain, I'll instead suggest a fun indoor activity like baking cookies or reading a story about rain and umbrellas. Sometimes just changing up the environment and keeping their minds occupied with something new does the trick! And who knows, they might even forget what they were upset about in the first place. :D

The unpredictability of toddler behaviour keeps us on our toes, for sure! Teaching them to respect their peers' playtime is a great lesson, especially when they learn that they can look forward to their turn. It's a slow process but worth the effort when they eventually get it! Sign language seems like a good strategy to help toddlers express themselves better, which probably makes parents' lives a lot easier too!
Their little personalities keep us guessing sometimes! But I enjoy these challenges now that they're slightly more independent - tot life gets more interesting as they grow. And oh yes, that eagerly awaited turn helps teach a patient mindset (hopefully)!

I've also been trying the good ol' "redirection" tactic these days. For instance, if my little one starts throwing books off the shelf, I'll quickly have her "help" me dust the shelves instead. That seems to encourage a habit of keeping things tidy too - killing two birds with one stone!

Their little personalities keep us guessing sometimes! But I enjoy these challenges now that they're slightly more independent - tot life gets more interesting as they grow. And oh yes, that eagerly awaited turn helps teach a patient mindset (hopefully)!

I've also been trying the good ol' "redirection" tactic these days. For instance, if my little one starts throwing books off the shelf, I'll quickly have her "help" me dust the shelves instead. That seems to encourage a habit of keeping things tidy too - killing two birds with one stone!
Redirection is a great method and can help teach them some basic chores too! It's wonderful how toddlers pick up on these tasks when we frame them as "fun" jobs. Keeping them occupied and learning while they're still young is a clever way to manage their behavior, and it sounds like you've got a good system going!

That's right! They learn so much by doing and exploring, and of course, everything is more fun when framed as a game. It's great to hear you're finding it manageable, that's half the battle with little ones!

What kind of chores do you get your toddler to help with? I've been thinking of little jobs for mine to do but would love some fresh ideas too!

We've had success with 'treasure hunts' - basically hiding things and giving our toddler very vague clues as to their location, which she adores. We also do a lot of 'racing' - who can put away their toys/books the fastest? Who can get dressed the quickest? It's amazing how much quicker she is at getting ready when there's a competition!

We've started giving our toddler simple errands to run too, like fetching things from another room or passing us items during meal prep. And of course, lots of encouragement goes a long way - it makes their little chests puff out with pride!

We've had success with 'treasure hunts' - basically hiding things and giving our toddler very vague clues as to their location, which she adores. We also do a lot of 'racing' - who can put away their toys/books the fastest? Who can get dressed the quickest? It's amazing how much quicker she is at getting ready when there's a competition!

We've started giving our toddler simple errands to run too, like fetching things from another room or passing us items during meal prep. And of course, lots of encouragement goes a long way - it makes their little chests puff out with pride!
Those are fun and competitive ways to keep your toddler engaged and busy! I love the treasure hunt idea, it's a creative take on getting them to help around the house.

My tot has recently been helping me sweep the floor and wipe down surfaces - which is handy because he's at that stage where he wants to mimic everything mum does. I've also started giving him small pieces of torn bread or crackers to "feed" our fish, which has taught him about numbers and counting as we drop a piece in for every number said aloud. It's amazing how these little learning moments add up! :)

That's such a great idea to get them helping with chores and turning it into a game! And I love the fishing for numbers, what a brilliant way to make learning fun. My little one loves 'helping' too, it's so adorable when they take pride in their little accomplishments. She's been setting the table lately which has been a huge help and also keeps her entertained while I finish preparing dinner.

Reactions: bubblyfish
That's such a great idea to get them helping with chores and turning it into a game! And I love the fishing for numbers, what a brilliant way to make learning fun. My little one loves 'helping' too, it's so adorable when they take pride in their little accomplishments. She's been setting the table lately which has been a huge help and also keeps her entertained while I finish preparing dinner.
The sense of achievement on their little faces is adorable. It's fulfilling to see them enjoy accomplishing simple tasks! Setting the table is a great way to get them involved; it makes meal times more fun for everyone when they can contribute.

I love seeing the creative ways you guys come up with to keep your tots engaged and learning - it's a constant, fun adventure! I might have to steal some of these ideas because they're too cute!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
The sense of achievement on their little faces is adorable. It's fulfilling to see them enjoy accomplishing simple tasks! Setting the table is a great way to get them involved; it makes meal times more fun for everyone when they can contribute.

I love seeing the creative ways you guys come up with to keep your tots engaged and learning - it's a constant, fun adventure! I might have to steal some of these ideas because they're too cute!
Go ahead! We're always happy to share ideas that work, especially when it comes to keeping those tiny tots entertained. It really is an adventure, one full of surprises and giggles! And you're right; the pride on their faces when they've "done it themselves" melts my heart every time.

That's such a nice sentiment. I find that engaging their sense of wonder works well, especially with nature. Pointing out clouds, birds, bugs - anything that sparks their curiosity and invites them to explore and appreciate the world around them. And of course, the occasional "I did it!" moment never hurts. Who doesn't love a confident toddler?

Reactions: doctormama
That's such a nice sentiment. I find that engaging their sense of wonder works well, especially with nature. Pointing out clouds, birds, bugs - anything that sparks their curiosity and invites them to explore and appreciate the world around them. And of course, the occasional "I did it!" moment never hurts. Who doesn't love a confident toddler?
harnessing their curiosity is such an exciting part of parenting - it's a wonderful age! These are great ideas that foster independence too, which is a lovely habit to cultivate early on.

The confidence booster that comes from accomplishing tasks surely contributes to their overall development! It's encouraging to see them embrace their independence, albeit with some guidance. Sparking their imagination is half the fun of parenting; it's delightful to witness their sense of wonder unfold.

The confidence booster that comes from accomplishing tasks surely contributes to their overall development! It's encouraging to see them embrace their independence, albeit with some guidance. Sparking their imagination is half the fun of parenting; it's delightful to witness their sense of wonder unfold.
It certainly adds to the joy of being a parent, doesn't it? Seeing them grow in confidence with every new skill or task mastered, even if it's something simple like putting away their toys. You're right though - a little guidance goes a long way, especially at that age! They soak up all these experiences like sponges, it's incredible.

That's so true, their confidence can grow so much in a short space of time too - it's a lovely thing to witness! And it's amazing what you can teach them too - songs, games and rhymes are such fun and they love joining in don't they?

Reactions: cissy
It's incredible how quickly their confidence blossoms and they soak up knowledge. I love seeing my toddler's mind grow and develop as she discovers new things every day - such a special phase! It's also so heartwarming to see her enthusiasm for little things like finding pebbles in the shape of a heart or jumping in puddles - pure joy!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu