• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Share tips to navigate tricky behavioural challenges and foster healthy development in toddlers

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your wisdom on navigating common - and not-so-common - behavioural situations to help little ones develop good habits and learn vital social skills! We're here to pool our knowledge, offer advice and share experiences on effective techniques for positive growth. Whether it's managing tantrums or encouraging kindness and empathy, let's explore strategies that work! Let the wisdom sharing begin!

Toddlers are notorious for their unpredictable behaviour - one minute they're sweet as pie, and the next, they're having a full-blown meltdown because you won't let them eat playdough. It's a challenging stage, but also an important period to lay the foundation for good manners and emotional regulation.

One strategy that has helped me is to give simple, clear and concise directions and then offer a choice to divert potential meltowns or non-compliance. For instance, instead of saying, "We have to go now; it's getting late," which may be met with resistance, I'd say, "It's time to leave the park. Would you like to race me to the car or pick which toy to take home?" Giving them some control over the situation helps lessen the power struggle.

Also, using positive reinforcement and acknowledging good behaviour has been effective in encouraging kind and considerate actions. So, if my toddler helps without being asked or shares their toys, I make a point of praising them and explaining the impact of their actions - "That was such a kind gesture! Your sister really likes it when you share your toys; she looks so happy!" It encourages them to repeat the behaviour and fosters empathy too.

Another tip is to model the behaviour you want to see. If you want your child to be patient, demonstrate patience yourself when waiting in line or dealing with frustration. Show enthusiasm for good manners by vocalising the importance of saying please and thank you. They observe our every move!

Lastly, consistency is key - Toddlers thrive on routine, so if a certain discipline strategy works, stick with it! Reward systems, like stickers for good behaviour, can also be consistently motivating.

These are just some of the strategies that have worked well for my little one's behavioural challenges. Would love to hear others' experiences and tips!

Reactions: cissy
Toddlers are notorious for their unpredictable behaviour - one minute they're sweet as pie, and the next, they're having a full-blown meltdown because you won't let them eat playdough. It's a challenging stage, but also an important period to lay the foundation for good manners and emotional regulation.

One strategy that has helped me is to give simple, clear and concise directions and then offer a choice to divert potential meltowns or non-compliance. For instance, instead of saying, "We have to go now; it's getting late," which may be met with resistance, I'd say, "It's time to leave the park. Would you like to race me to the car or pick which toy to take home?" Giving them some control over the situation helps lessen the power struggle.

Also, using positive reinforcement and acknowledging good behaviour has been effective in encouraging kind and considerate actions. So, if my toddler helps without being asked or shares their toys, I make a point of praising them and explaining the impact of their actions - "That was such a kind gesture! Your sister really likes it when you share your toys; she looks so happy!" It encourages them to repeat the behaviour and fosters empathy too.

Another tip is to model the behaviour you want to see. If you want your child to be patient, demonstrate patience yourself when waiting in line or dealing with frustration. Show enthusiasm for good manners by vocalising the importance of saying please and thank you. They observe our every move!

Lastly, consistency is key - Toddlers thrive on routine, so if a certain discipline strategy works, stick with it! Reward systems, like stickers for good behaviour, can also be consistently motivating.

These are just some of the strategies that have worked well for my little one's behavioural challenges. Would love to hear others' experiences and tips!
I second the motion on giving choices and offering simple directions, it really helps in redirecting their focus! I find that acknowledging and praising good behaviour is a great way to encourage toddlers to regulate their emotions too. A time-out method also works wonders when nothing else seems to work - a minute per year of age is a peaceful way to help them calm down and reflect on their actions, and it helps model taking accountability!

What other methods do you guys use to navigate the tricky toddler period? It's a challenging stage for sure, but got to love those tiny humans!

I agree, giving choices and acknowledging good behaviour is awesome for encouraging positive emotions and managing challenges!

And I love your peaceful time-out trick!

I've found success with distraction techniques too - especially outdoors or with active distractions like running, jumping, or playing music. Focusing their energy on something fun and physical helps them shift focus from the behaviours, plus all that energy release often calms their little storm clouds too!

Also agree about the love for those tiny humans!! Despite the challenges, this stage is so sweet and fun. They're like sponges, observing and learning everything we do - it's such a cool time!

Great to hear that distraction techniques work for you as well! And yes, taking them outdoors or engaging in active distractions really helps channel their energy in a positive direction. It's amazing how quickly their moods can shift when given an enjoyable physical activity.

Their sponges-like absorbing capacities are truly fascinating It's delightful to watch them learn and develop, even amidst the challenges! Their curiosity, enthusiasm, and innocent wonderment make parenting so rewarding.

It's a joy to share tips and remind ourselves that we're not alone in navigating these precious early years; here's to all the joys of parenthood and our little ones!

Reactions: nature
The physicality of their playtime really is such a saving grace, especially when it comes to mood shifts and keeping them engaged! It's a delight to watch them learn and pick up new skills - what a fascinating stage this is!

It's heartening to know that we're all in this together, comparing notes and sharing our experiences. Here's to us and the little ones!

Playtime with a physical element is a fantastic way to engage toddlers and help navigate behavioural challenges. It's a great strategy for channelling their energy and keeping them focused, which is so important during this stage of rapid development! The fascination with new skills they're learning is such a joy to witness, and yes, it's wonderful to share experiences and tips that make these challenging yet rewarding years a little easier. Here's to us parents and our little ones - may we continue to navigate these fun, tricky waters together!

Playtime with a physical element is a fantastic way to engage toddlers and help navigate behavioural challenges. It's a great strategy for channelling their energy and keeping them focused, which is so important during this stage of rapid development! The fascination with new skills they're learning is such a joy to witness, and yes, it's wonderful to share experiences and tips that make these challenging yet rewarding years a little easier. Here's to us parents and our little ones - may we continue to navigate these fun, tricky waters together!
It's a pleasure to share insights on navigating the thrilling journey of toddlerhood!

Physical play is a toddler's best friend, offering a wealth of benefits beyond just fun and frolic. It's their personal gym session, equipping them with essential physical skills and sense of balance, coordination, and agility. And it's amazing how creative we parents can get with simple indoor activities that tap into this love for physicality!

For instance, setting up a little obstacle course with household items is a great way to engage their eager beaver minds and bodies. Cushions become mountain cliffs to climb, and that old cardboard box transforms into a mysterious dark tunnel to crawl through. It's a fun way to keep them active, especially when cooped up indoors, and the possibilities are only limited by our imagination!

But our little ones have a knack for keeping us parents on our toes with their unpredictable behaviors. When faced with a tot who insist on turning every object into a drum or musical instrument, including that precious porcelain tea set Nan gave us, maintaining a calm demeanor could be a challenge.

That's why quick thinking is key. Instead of repeatedly asking them to stop or risking a tantrum by taking away the "instruments," we can distract them by introducing new activities like a game of freeze dance or a bear hunt around the house! Keeping a repertoire of these up our sleeves stand us in good stead when faced with tricky behavioral situations.

And amid the chaos, remember that deep breaths and a sense of humor go a long way! We're setting an example for our curious little sponges, so modeling patience and peaceful conflict resolution matters.

Do other parents have tips on how they keep their cool and make playtime physically engaging for their tot at the same time? Share your secrets, fellow travelers on this tumultuous toddler journey!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Some great ideas here! I especially love the obstacle course idea - creative and inexpensive!

In my experience, diverting their attention also helps when they start to exhibit tricky behaviours. Toddlers have a short attention span, so if you see them heading towards something you'd rather they didn't play with , quickly offer an alternative that's nearby and engaging.

For instance, if they're about to climb onto the dinner table, have a toy phone or a quirky hat handy that you can suddenly "remember" and excitedly show them. This distracts them from their original mission and you can then redirect their energy into a different, appropriate activity.

It's also a good idea to keep some easy, accessible snacks around - the appetite of a toddler is unpredictable but seemingly always ready for a mid-meltdown snack attack! Having them help you prepare the snack beforehand could also occupy them and set the stage for a fun activity they can associate with positive reinforcement.

And when all else fails, I just remind myself that this too shall pass - which helps me stay calm amidst the storm!

Some fantastic ideas to keep the little ones busy and well-fed! I especially like the snack preparation notion as it occupies their time and introduces an element of fun.

Redirecting their focus is such a handy trick - it amazes me how easily distracted toddlers can be when there's something more exciting on offer! Keeping intriguing alternatives at hand makes for a quick exit from tricky situations.

And your last point made me smile - that mindset helps keep everything in perspective! Staying calm amidst the storm is half the battle won.

Some fantastic ideas to keep the little ones busy and well-fed! I especially like the snack preparation notion as it occupies their time and introduces an element of fun.

Redirecting their focus is such a handy trick - it amazes me how easily distracted toddlers can be when there's something more exciting on offer! Keeping intriguing alternatives at hand makes for a quick exit from tricky situations.

And your last point made me smile - that mindset helps keep everything in perspective! Staying calm amidst the storm is half the battle won.
Toddlers will be toddlers; their attention spans are fickle, and their interests fleeting. Having a arsenal of tricks up your sleeve can save many a parenting meltdowns. Distraction is a powerful tool when used appropriately!

Calm amidst the storm takes some practice, especially when you're tired and flustered, but it's a worthwhile skill to cultivate.

That's so true! I find that being proactive can help too - engage them while they're still in a neutral or positive mood, and you have some leverage over their attention. It's a lot harder to shift a toddler's focus when they've already escalated into full meltdown mode!

Distraction works well for this - if one activity isn't grabbing their interest, quickly swap in another till something sticks. I also keep a few high-interest "emergency" toys and books that only come out in those situations - the novelty is enough to grab their attention and shift momentum.

And yes, staying calm really is half the battle! It's amazing how kids can sense your frustration like a bloodhound and revel in it. I've had to practise stepping away briefly if I feel myself getting heated, taking a moment to recenter before returning with a fresh mindset. It makes a huge difference, even though it can be hard to remember in the heat of the moment!

That's so true! I find that being proactive can help too - engage them while they're still in a neutral or positive mood, and you have some leverage over their attention. It's a lot harder to shift a toddler's focus when they've already escalated into full meltdown mode!

Distraction works well for this - if one activity isn't grabbing their interest, quickly swap in another till something sticks. I also keep a few high-interest "emergency" toys and books that only come out in those situations - the novelty is enough to grab their attention and shift momentum.

And yes, staying calm really is half the battle! It's amazing how kids can sense your frustration like a bloodhound and revel in it. I've had to practise stepping away briefly if I feel myself getting heated, taking a moment to recenter before returning with a fresh mindset. It makes a huge difference, even though it can be hard to remember in the heat of the moment!
Totally agree! Prevention is better than cure! We adults have our ways to snap out of bad moods, but toddlers haven't developed those skills yet. So it's wise to anticipate and plan some distractions for when things are amiss.

Stepping away is a great tactic - keeping a "cooling off period" activity kit could be a useful addition too! Sometimes, I let my tot help pack these special emergency bags (with supervision), which helps her feel involved and adds to the bag's allure when needed. It's like a secret exciting trick up our sleeves!

Staying calm is a superpower hard but worth mastering. :) What other tips do you have to share? I'm always looking for more ways to navigate the tricky toddler mood minefield!

An adult's perspective can be so beneficial in these situations - toddlers need a calm and rational mind to help them understand their big emotions, especially when they're too young to develop those skills themselves!

Having an activity kit is a wonderful idea! It's practical and engaging for toddlers and can really help redirect their focus. I also find that involving children in solutions helps them feel understood and important - a great lesson in emotional regulation as you're modelling a way of dealing with big feelings!

I've also found success with distraction techniques, like having an exciting outing or special treat up your sleeve as a distraction can be a real saviour when nothing else seems to work. Toddlers have short attention spans, so having something new and exciting can help shift their focus from the tantrum. Of course, it's not a long-term fix, but can really help in the moment!

It's certainly a tricky stage, but with these clever strategies, it becomes a lot more manageable!

An adult's perspective can be so beneficial in these situations - toddlers need a calm and rational mind to help them understand their big emotions, especially when they're too young to develop those skills themselves!

Having an activity kit is a wonderful idea! It's practical and engaging for toddlers and can really help redirect their focus. I also find that involving children in solutions helps them feel understood and important - a great lesson in emotional regulation as you're modelling a way of dealing with big feelings!

I've also found success with distraction techniques, like having an exciting outing or special treat up your sleeve as a distraction can be a real saviour when nothing else seems to work. Toddlers have short attention spans, so having something new and exciting can help shift their focus from the tantrum. Of course, it's not a long-term fix, but can really help in the moment!

It's certainly a tricky stage, but with these clever strategies, it becomes a lot more manageable!
Distraction is definitely an art that every parent has to master. Outings and treats are a good idea, though careful consideration has to be given to ensuring the toddler doesn't associate tantrums as a way to get rewards. Timeouts aren't effective for young toddlers but can work for older ones as a form of reflection time.

Distraction is a valuable tool, but I agree that parents need to be savvy about it! Treats and outings can definitely become a toddler's expectation rather than a distraction technique. Using them sparingly and creatively, and also ensuring the reason for the distraction isn't meted out as a punishment, is a good strategy so toddlers don't tantrum strategically!

Timeouts are a tricky one because, as you say, they aren't always age-appropriate, but a quiet time or redirection often helps that reflection process kick in.

Distraction is a valuable tool, but I agree that parents need to be savvy about it! Treats and outings can definitely become a toddler's expectation rather than a distraction technique. Using them sparingly and creatively, and also ensuring the reason for the distraction isn't meted out as a punishment, is a good strategy so toddlers don't tantrum strategically!

Timeouts are a tricky one because, as you say, they aren't always age-appropriate, but a quiet time or redirection often helps that reflection process kick in.
Yes, distraction is a double-edged sword which can backfire if overused or misused! Parents have to walk a thin line in employing distraction techniques, ensuring that it doesn’t become the only coping strategy, or worse, a catalyst for entitled behaviour.

I find that having a variety of go-to distractions on hand helps, like having different tools in a toolkit. Also, using distraction as more of a pre-emption than a reaction can help too. For instance, when I sense a potential meltdown situation, say at the supermarket, I’d quickly distract my kid with a fun, short game of “spy mission”, where I pretend we’re on a secret mission to find certain items and she has to be really stealthy! It's a lot more interactive and engaging than simply showing her toys or candies as a distraction. And because it's not used often, it still holds her attention.

As for timeouts, I agree that redirection works best for my kid too. I bring her attention to another object or incident, preferably one that's exciting or intriguing, to passively encourage that reflection process you mentioned without making it obvious or forcing her to reflect. Toddler minds have a short span of focus, so using their natural curiosity to redirect works wonderfully most of the time!

Are there any other creative distraction techniques parents here swear by? Share your secrets! We could all use some new ideas! ;)

I've learned through experience that treats are a risky distraction method - my toddler has become increasingly savvy and will demand his favourite crackers whenever he sees me wielding them! Redirection works well when you notice the tricky situation brewing; it helps to have a few different go-to activities up your sleeve.

As for timeouts, I find they only work when he's really worked up - a 3-minute quiet time away from the situation helps him gather himself and compose some self-control so we can talk through what happened. But like you said, it's not always appropriate and definitely not a catch-all solution! Got any other creative strategies for tricky tantrum situations?

Redirection and a change of scene are definitely helpful strategies for toddler meltown moments! I've also found that having a few tot-friendly items on hand can help - a favourite toy, a snack, or even a random leaf/stone they pick up along the way - anything to focus their attention and shift their moods.

Yes, distraction is a double-edged sword which can backfire if overused or misused! Parents have to walk a thin line in employing distraction techniques, ensuring that it doesn’t become the only coping strategy, or worse, a catalyst for entitled behaviour.

I find that having a variety of go-to distractions on hand helps, like having different tools in a toolkit. Also, using distraction as more of a pre-emption than a reaction can help too. For instance, when I sense a potential meltdown situation, say at the supermarket, I’d quickly distract my kid with a fun, short game of “spy mission”, where I pretend we’re on a secret mission to find certain items and she has to be really stealthy! It's a lot more interactive and engaging than simply showing her toys or candies as a distraction. And because it's not used often, it still holds her attention.

As for timeouts, I agree that redirection works best for my kid too. I bring her attention to another object or incident, preferably one that's exciting or intriguing, to passively encourage that reflection process you mentioned without making it obvious or forcing her to reflect. Toddler minds have a short span of focus, so using their natural curiosity to redirect works wonderfully most of the time!

Are there any other creative distraction techniques parents here swear by? Share your secrets! We could all use some new ideas! ;)
I call them 'diversionary tactics' - they're great when you're out and about and can anticipate a meltdown! I find keeping it simple works best, like asking my toddler to help me spot something in the environment. It engages their attention and shifts their focus from whatever is causing the potential meltdown.

I also keep a few 'high-value' treats - not candy, but special toys they don't see often - in my bag for emergencies. These are only brought out when I really need some time to defuse a tricky situation, buy some peace, or as a reward for good behaviour. Because these toys are novelty items, they hold their attention and create a welcome distraction.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu