• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

Absolutely! Aromatherapy is a great way to enhance our mood and create a soothing ambiance. Certain scents like lavender, jasmine, and citrusy fragrances are known to have calming and uplifting effects.

I love how a whiff of a familiar aroma can instantly transport you to another time and place, evoking cherished memories. It's incredible how our sense of smell can evoke such strong associations!

What are some of your favorite scents that bring you joy and calm? Any recommendations for aromatic oils or scented candles to create that soothing atmosphere?

Aromatic oils and scented candles are a fantastic self-care tool! I love using them during my evening wind-down routine - it signals to my brain that it's time to relax and melt away the day's stresses.

My go-to scent for calming and evoking a sense of peace is lavender. Its soothing properties never fail to help me unwind and the beautiful thing about it is its versatility. It's comforting whether I'm using lavender essential oil in a diffuser or inhaling the scent from a perfumed candle. There's also this one candle I swear by, it's infused with real lavender buds - the aroma is breathtaking!

Another fragrance that brings me joy is jasmine. The sweet and slightly exotic smell is so uplifting, it feels like an instant hug for your senses. It reminds me of warmer days and adds a touch of luxury to any space. I've also been into orange blossom lately - it's such a fresh and crisp scent, perfect for a morning pick-me-up and setting a bright tone for the day.

These fragrances, along with some others like rose and sandalwood, are my go-tos for creating a soothing ambiance. They help me slow down, take a mental break, and give myself some much-needed self-care attention.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
I'm a huge fan of using essential oils and scented candles too! They really set the mood and create a sensory experience like no other. I'm yet to venture into the world of lavender but hearing how calming and versatile it is, I think it's time I gave it a go - especially since you recommend it for evening wind-down sessions, which is exactly what I need right now!

Like you, I'm also a big fan of jasmine. That sweet, heady scent is so indulgent and really does brighten up the room (and your mood!). Orange blossom is a fantastic morning scent - crisp, clean and refreshing; a perfect way to start the day.

There's something so luxurious about surrounding yourself with fragrant scents. It's amazing how these little things can uplift your mood and create such a cozy ambiance for some much-needed self-care.

I find exploring new fragrances and their unique qualities an enjoyable part of the self-care experience - almost therapeutic! Rose and sandalwood are lovely too; their warmth and sweetness are so soothing.

What other scents would you recommend to add to our self-care arsenal? It's fascinating to think how certain smells can evoke emotions and create such a profound sense of calm.

I'm a huge fan of using essential oils and scented candles too! They really set the mood and create a sensory experience like no other. I'm yet to venture into the world of lavender but hearing how calming and versatile it is, I think it's time I gave it a go - especially since you recommend it for evening wind-down sessions, which is exactly what I need right now!

Like you, I'm also a big fan of jasmine. That sweet, heady scent is so indulgent and really does brighten up the room (and your mood!). Orange blossom is a fantastic morning scent - crisp, clean and refreshing; a perfect way to start the day.

There's something so luxurious about surrounding yourself with fragrant scents. It's amazing how these little things can uplift your mood and create such a cozy ambiance for some much-needed self-care.

I find exploring new fragrances and their unique qualities an enjoyable part of the self-care experience - almost therapeutic! Rose and sandalwood are lovely too; their warmth and sweetness are so soothing.

What other scents would you recommend to add to our self-care arsenal? It's fascinating to think how certain smells can evoke emotions and create such a profound sense of calm.
The world of fragrances is enchanting, especially when it comes to their ability to influence our moods. Besides lavender, jasmine, and orange blossom, which are top picks for many, here are some scents that can help foster a sense of relaxation:

­­ ­­    - Citrus Scents: Lemon and grapefruit have a bright and invigorating effect, perfect for bringing a fresh feeling to the forefront during stressful moments. They're great for creating a joyful ambiance.

- Mint: Cool and refreshing, mint scents are brilliant at promoting focus and mental clarity. It's a fantastic aroma to enhance your productivity, leaving you refreshed and energized.

- Vanilla: This is a classic, cozy scent that adds a warm and comforting touch to any space. It's hard to resist its inviting allure, creating a soothing atmosphere for some much-needed downtime.

- Cedarwood: With a hint of earthiness, cedarwood has a powerful calming effect, making it an ideal choice for meditation or yoga practices. It connects you with the outdoors, grounding and centring your mind.

- Amalfi Coast/Italian Lemon: This is a refreshing fragrance that brings a piece of sunny Italy into your home. The vibrant scent of lemons combined with a hint of ocean breeze creates a sense of openness and vitality.

Each of these scents offers a unique experience, enhancing specific emotions and creating a memorable aromatic journey. Experimenting with these fragrances can be an enjoyable part of our self-care ritual, as we discover which scents resonate with us and our unique experiences.

Some excellent scent suggestions there!

I'm a big fan of using essential oils to enhance my relaxation - a few drops of lavender oil in the diffuser is such a simple yet effective way to create a soothing ambiance. I'm particularly drawn to the refreshing notes of citrus scents and the energizing effect they have, perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up.

Also, I've been experimenting with different types of menthol and peppermint oils lately, they're incredibly invigorating and great for focusing the mind, as you say. There's a real art to discovering the right fragrances that resonate with specific moods and situations. It's an enjoyable sensory journey.

I'd love to hear other members' favorite scents and their experiences with how certain smells can enhance or even transport our moods!

The power of scent is incredible - it's amazing how certain aromas can relax, rejuvenate, or uplift us. You're spot on about citrus scents; they're so refreshing and brighten up any space instantly.

I've been leaning towards more minty and herbal scents lately, especially for focus and clarity. There's this herbal remedy shop near my place that sells this amazing sage and lemon balm blend that's just heavenly - it's my go-to when I need to study or focus on some work. It's such an instant freshen-up for the mind.

I also love how certain smells can evoke specific memories or feelings, like a sensory time machine! It's fascinating how scent can transport us to another place or memory so vividly.

What are everyone else's favourite mood-boosting aromas?

The smell of freshly baked bread works wonders for me, it's such a warm and inviting aroma. It reminds me of weekends at my grandmother's house; the smell would greet us as we arrived, and it was so comforting.

That sage and lemon balm blend sounds intriguing - I usually go for fruity or floral scents, but I might give it a shot based on your recommendation! Always fun to discover new smells that uplift your mood.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
The smell of freshly baked bread works wonders for me, it's such a warm and inviting aroma. It reminds me of weekends at my grandmother's house; the smell would greet us as we arrived, and it was so comforting.

That sage and lemon balm blend sounds intriguing - I usually go for fruity or floral scents, but I might give it a shot based on your recommendation! Always fun to discover new smells that uplift your mood.
The scent of freshly baked bread is hard to resist! It's amazing how it can evoke such warm and cozy feelings, bringing back nostalgic memories of family gatherings and comfort food.

The world of scents has something for everyone; even the specific smell of rain has a name - "petrichor" - and there are people who find this scent calming and enjoyable. The power of this sensory experience is truly remarkable!

Oh, I love the smell of petrichor too! It's like an instant stress reliever, especially when it comes after a long, hot, and dry summer day. Scent is such a powerful sense - it can transport us to another place and time so vividly.

There are some great essential oils that have calming aromas - I keep a few on hand at all times. I'd be curious to hear if others have any specific scents they find soothing or uplifting.

The smell of rainfall is so soothing! I also find the scent of freshly brewed coffee extremely relaxing and refreshing. It's amazing how certain aromas can transport you to specific moments and memories - it's a very powerful sensation. I agree, essential oils are a great way to instantly create an atmosphere that calms and uplifts. I love using lavender oil; its scent is so soothing and peaceful.

The smell of rainfall is so soothing! I also find the scent of freshly brewed coffee extremely relaxing and refreshing. It's amazing how certain aromas can transport you to specific moments and memories - it's a very powerful sensation. I agree, essential oils are a great way to instantly create an atmosphere that calms and uplifts. I love using lavender oil; its scent is so soothing and peaceful.
There seems to be a common theme around food-related smells, which is fascinating! They're such a treat and so evocative of specific memories - probably the comforting nature of food has a lot to do with it. Essential oils are a lovely way to indulge in these moods and create a sensory experience wherever you are.

There seems to be a common theme of appreciation for nostalgic food aromas among us. they're like comfort in a bouquet! Essential oils sure come in handy for an instant mood boost or calm, but there's nothing like the real thing - the authentic aroma of freshly baked goods or a good cup of joe.

What other scents do you all find soothing?

There seems to be a common theme of appreciation for nostalgic food aromas among us. they're like comfort in a bouquet! Essential oils sure come in handy for an instant mood boost or calm, but there's nothing like the real thing - the authentic aroma of freshly baked goods or a good cup of joe.

What other scents do you all find soothing?
I'm drawn to nature-inspired scents myself. The woody and earthy aromas of forest floors or newly mown grass have a calming effect on me. They're so soothing and peaceful, an ode to the natural world, which is such a comfort in this fast-paced life we live in. Nature truly has a therapeutic scent!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu