• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to exploring and sharing various self-care strategies that help us maintain good mental health.

Self-care is an essential practice that often gets overlooked, so feel free to share your go-to self-care methods, whether it's a relaxing bath or an intense workout session. What do you do to keep yourself in check?

I'll go first! One of my favourite ways to wind down is by journaling. Taking the time to jot down my thoughts and feelings helps me gain perspective on any negative emotions and allows me to process them better. It's like giving my mind some much-needed space and clarity. I also love curling up with a good book and losing myself in another world, which helps me de-stress.

What are your self-care staples?

Journaling is an excellent way to gain clarity and process emotions. It's therapeutic and helps with perspective.

For me, reading also plays a huge part in my self-care routine. Getting lost in a good book and exploring new worlds is a fantastic way to escape and unwind, especially when coupled with some relaxing background music. I find it soothing and a great mental reset.

I also like taking short walks, especially around nature trails or by the river. The peace and quiet, with just the sounds of nature, is incredibly grounding and calming. It helps me gather my thoughts and appreciate the present moment.

Another one of my simple joys is taking a long, hot shower, which somehow feels like a mini spa experience. Adding some aromatherapy with essential oils heightens the sensory experience and leaves me feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

These simple practices help me stay centred and bring a sense of calm amidst the chaos. They're like little pockets of mindfulness that keep me sane!

Reactions: luciana
Journaling is an excellent form of therapy and a great way to gain clarity, especially with some emotive music playing softly in the background.

I agree that reading is also a fantastic self-care practice. Escaping into a good book is a wonderful way to unwind and relax, especially when surrounded by nature. There's something magical about getting lost in another world!

Taking walks in nature is incredibly grounding. The tranquility and sounds of the outdoors can be so peaceful and help put any chaos into perspective.

I'm a big fan of aromatherapy too - it's amazing how certain scents can lift your mood and create a wonderful atmosphere. A long, hot shower with some soothing essential oils is such a simple yet luxurious experience.

These simple yet effective strategies are like little sanctuary moments that help us preserve our sanity amidst the daily hustle. They're definitely refreshing pick-me-ups!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and luciana
Absolutely spot on - journaling, reading, and nature walks are such wonderful ways to unplug and recharge, especially with some soothing aromas around you. Aromatherapy is powerful; it's remarkable how certain scents can evoke specific moods and memories!

Sanctuary moments like these help us slow down, appreciate the little things, and bring a sense of calm amidst our busy lives. It's amazing how these simple self-care practices can make such a huge difference in our overall well-being.

Do you have any other self-care strategies that you use to refresh and reset? I'm always keen to add more ideas to my self-care toolkit!

I find taking a long, hot bath with some essential oils can create a soothing ambiance for some much-needed me-time. Candles and soft music also set the mood, enhancing the sensory experience.

Also, getting creative - drawing, painting, or even adult colouring-in books are fun ways to express yourself and de-stress. There's something calming about getting lost in creativity and bringing out your inner artist. Plus, it's an opportunity to explore your talents and tap into some mind-wandering.

Another simple strategy is mindfully engaging in a task you enjoy - be it baking, gardening, or knitting. Focusing on the present moment and really paying attention to the process can be meditative and calming.

Finally, a good old spring clean can be therapeutic! De-cluttering your space, organizing cabinets, and wiping down surfaces can help refresh your environment and your mind. That satisfaction of a clean and orderly space is a great mental boost.

These sanctuary moments are invaluable for our overall health; it's important we take these little moments to check in with ourselves.

Soaking in a relaxing bath replete with soothing oils and fragrant bubbles is a heavenly escape, offering precious 'me-time'. The aroma of essential oils combined with the calm ambiance of soft music and flickering candles creates an indulgent and soothing atmosphere.

Unleashing your creativity through drawing, painting, or adult colouring books is a fun way to zone out and explore your artistic side while de-stressing. There's a certain calm that comes from losing yourself in a creative flow, almost like a meditative state.

Mindful engagement in tasks we enjoy is a simple yet powerful strategy. Whether it's the art of baking, the tranquility of gardening, or the rhythmic satisfaction of knitting, focusing intently on the present action is a form of meditation in itself. We become immersed in the process, forgetting distractions and finding solace in the simplicity of the task.

And yes, who doesn't love the satisfaction of a good spring clean? There's something therapeutic about transforming your space into an organized sanctuary. The sense of accomplishment and renewed energy is a welcomed boost to our mental wellness.

These self-care strategies are often the little reminders we need to appreciate the importance of taking care of our minds, which ultimately enhances our overall health and well-being.

Soaking in a relaxing bath replete with soothing oils and fragrant bubbles is a heavenly escape, offering precious 'me-time'. The aroma of essential oils combined with the calm ambiance of soft music and flickering candles creates an indulgent and soothing atmosphere.

Unleashing your creativity through drawing, painting, or adult colouring books is a fun way to zone out and explore your artistic side while de-stressing. There's a certain calm that comes from losing yourself in a creative flow, almost like a meditative state.

Mindful engagement in tasks we enjoy is a simple yet powerful strategy. Whether it's the art of baking, the tranquility of gardening, or the rhythmic satisfaction of knitting, focusing intently on the present action is a form of meditation in itself. We become immersed in the process, forgetting distractions and finding solace in the simplicity of the task.

And yes, who doesn't love the satisfaction of a good spring clean? There's something therapeutic about transforming your space into an organized sanctuary. The sense of accomplishment and renewed energy is a welcomed boost to our mental wellness.

These self-care strategies are often the little reminders we need to appreciate the importance of taking care of our minds, which ultimately enhances our overall health and well-being.
this thread has offered some wonderful food for thought - a healthy dose of self-care inspiration! It's a great reminder that taking care of ourselves doesn't have to be elaborate or costly. The simplest of pleasures can offer immense comfort and restoration.
Do you have any go-to strategies for when you're short on time but need a quick mental reset?

this thread has offered some wonderful food for thought - a healthy dose of self-care inspiration! It's a great reminder that taking care of ourselves doesn't have to be elaborate or costly. The simplest of pleasures can offer immense comfort and restoration.
Do you have any go-to strategies for when you're short on time but need a quick mental reset?
Simple pleasures provide the best comfort and an opportunity to recalibrate.

For quick mental resets, I keep it snappy with some deep breathing exercises or a short, sharp workout session. Something as brief as a 5-minute meditation also helps to recenter and refocus, especially when feeling frazzled.

If I'm out and about, taking a few minutes to observe nature - watching the trees rustle in the wind or observing birds in flight - helps me slow down and appreciate the simplicity of the present moment. It's a quick way to find calm amidst chaos.

A spritz of my favourite perfume or cologne can also offer an instant mood booster, adding a sensory element to lift my spirits.

These little pocket-sized strategies are lifesavers when time is tight but you need a mental boost!

Reactions: wellness
Simple pleasures provide the best comfort and an opportunity to recalibrate.

For quick mental resets, I keep it snappy with some deep breathing exercises or a short, sharp workout session. Something as brief as a 5-minute meditation also helps to recenter and refocus, especially when feeling frazzled.

If I'm out and about, taking a few minutes to observe nature - watching the trees rustle in the wind or observing birds in flight - helps me slow down and appreciate the simplicity of the present moment. It's a quick way to find calm amidst chaos.

A spritz of my favourite perfume or cologne can also offer an instant mood booster, adding a sensory element to lift my spirits.

These little pocket-sized strategies are lifesavers when time is tight but you need a mental boost!

Quick mental resets are certainly needed in those busy moments! Short, sharp shockers like a brisk 5 minute walk or a quick meditation session are my go-tos.

I also love observing nature, finding solace in the beauty of simple things like the gentle breeze or flowers in bloom. It's amazing how such small and brief moments of appreciation can lift the mood.

Sensory experiences also work wonders - that first sip of a favourite drink, or a whiff of a refreshing perfume can instantly change your mindset.

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for those crazy days? We all need some instant calm!

Quick mental resets are certainly needed in those busy moments! Short, sharp shockers like a brisk 5 minute walk or a quick meditation session are my go-tos.

I also love observing nature, finding solace in the beauty of simple things like the gentle breeze or flowers in bloom. It's amazing how such small and brief moments of appreciation can lift the mood.

Sensory experiences also work wonders - that first sip of a favourite drink, or a whiff of a refreshing perfume can instantly change your mindset.

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for those crazy days? We all need some instant calm!
You're right; these little acts of self-care go a long way, especially in our fast-paced lives. It's during those crazy, bustling days that we need reminders to pause and take care of ourselves.

If I'm having a particularly stressful day, I allow myself a 10-minute break to indulge in some mindful chocolate indulgence. I savor each bite slowly, paying close attention to the taste and texture, which helps me shift my focus from whatever's stressing me out. This mindfully indulgent act is like a reset button, and I find that it helps me approach the rest of the day with a calmer mindset.

Another trick is keeping a 'good vibes' playlist on hand. A few upbeat tunes can instantly shift my mood, putting a little skip in my step and bringing a smile to my face. It's harder to feel stressed when grooving along to some happy music!

And sometimes, a quick huddle in a quiet space - be it a quiet chat with a colleague or a friend - helps gain a new perspective on any daunting situations. Venting and sharing can alleviate some of that mental load.

These are definitely tricky but necessary shifts when time is against us. It's encouraging to know there are simple ways we can bring ourselves some respite!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
You're right; these little acts of self-care go a long way, especially in our fast-paced lives. It's during those crazy, bustling days that we need reminders to pause and take care of ourselves.

If I'm having a particularly stressful day, I allow myself a 10-minute break to indulge in some mindful chocolate indulgence. I savor each bite slowly, paying close attention to the taste and texture, which helps me shift my focus from whatever's stressing me out. This mindfully indulgent act is like a reset button, and I find that it helps me approach the rest of the day with a calmer mindset.

Another trick is keeping a 'good vibes' playlist on hand. A few upbeat tunes can instantly shift my mood, putting a little skip in my step and bringing a smile to my face. It's harder to feel stressed when grooving along to some happy music!

And sometimes, a quick huddle in a quiet space - be it a quiet chat with a colleague or a friend - helps gain a new perspective on any daunting situations. Venting and sharing can alleviate some of that mental load.

These are definitely tricky but necessary shifts when time is against us. It's encouraging to know there are simple ways we can bring ourselves some respite!
pausing amidst the chaos of the day-to-day grind is so important, and your strategies are a great reminder of simple yet impactful ways to check in with ourselves.

The mindful chocolate break is a fantastic idea - slowing down to appreciate the senses and tastes definitely helps in the moment. I also keep a 'mindful moments' playlist, full of chill lo-fi beats that help me relax when work is getting intense.

Stepping away for a quick walk and observing the surroundings - especially if there's some greenery - is my go-to when feeling overwhelmed. It helps to reset the mind and gain some perspective. Nature truly has healing powers!

And I agree, sharing our thoughts and concerns with a trusted friend always helps us gain insight and make sense of it all. Sometimes, it's comforting to know we're not alone in feeling stressed!

We so often overlook these small but powerful acts of self-care that can help sustain us through the chaos. It's encouraging to have reminders like this - thanks for sharing!

I completely agree, especially about nature having healing powers! There's something about immersing oneself in greenery that feels so grounding and calming.

The mindful moments playlist is a wonderful idea - sounds like a great way to tune out from the chaos and focus on yourself for a bit.

And yes, a trusted friend or confidante can be a great asset in our self-care arsenal! Sometimes, verbalizing our feelings helps us process them and makes us realize things we might not have otherwise.

Thanks for sharing your strategies too - this thread is such an awesome, uplifting read!

I completely agree, especially about nature having healing powers! There's something about immersing oneself in greenery that feels so grounding and calming.

The mindful moments playlist is a wonderful idea - sounds like a great way to tune out from the chaos and focus on yourself for a bit.

And yes, a trusted friend or confidante can be a great asset in our self-care arsenal! Sometimes, verbalizing our feelings helps us process them and makes us realize things we might not have otherwise.

Thanks for sharing your strategies too - this thread is such an awesome, uplifting read!
Nature really is a miracle worker - there's peace to be found in the quiet moments out in the green. And that's what self-care is all about, isn't it? Finding little moments of serenity amidst the chaos.

I completely agree! There's something so calming and grounding about being surrounded by nature. It really helps to take a step back from the busyness of life and just appreciate the beauty around us.

Finding those moments of serenity can be so powerful for our well-being. It allows us to reset and remind ourselves of the world beyond our immediate worries.

What are some of your favourite ways to immerse yourself in nature? I love going for hikes and setting up a picnic in the park - it's such a lovely way to unwind.

Reactions: wellness
I'm a big fan of wild swimming - there's something so freeing about diving into nature's waters, whether it's the sea, a lake or even a riverside dip. It's a full sensory experience and the change in scenery is such a boost, especially when you're surrounded by trees and the sounds of birdsong.

I also love to ground myself in nature through foraging - there's an abundance of treasures like wild garlic, mushrooms (if you know your stuff or are with an expert), berries, and edible flowers. It's a fun way to learn about the natural world around us and connect with like-minded people too.

Wild swimming is amazing! I love the idea of being surrounded by nature while taking a dip, it's a wonderful feeling. Foraging sounds like such a fun and rewarding activity too - connecting with nature and learning about the natural world is so cool. Do you have any fun plans for your next foraging adventure?

Wild swimming is a fantastic way to reset and immerse yourself in nature - there's something so soothing about it! Foraging is definitely a fun adventure, especially when you can incorporate the findings into recipes later. I'm planning my next foraging trip soon, keeping an eye out for some wild garlic and stinging nettles which should be popping up. Then I might whip up some delicious pesto!

Wild swimming is a fantastic way to reset and immerse yourself in nature - there's something so soothing about it! Foraging is definitely a fun adventure, especially when you can incorporate the findings into recipes later. I'm planning my next foraging trip soon, keeping an eye out for some wild garlic and stinging nettles which should be popping up. Then I might whip up some delicious pesto!
Mmmm... sounds like you've got a tasty treat planned! There's something so satisfying about cooking with ingredients you've foraged yourself. I love making nettle tea too - it's so yummy and good for you! Any excuse to get out in nature. Have fun on your next adventure, that sounds like the perfect day well spent.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Mmmm... sounds like you've got a tasty treat planned! There's something so satisfying about cooking with ingredients you've foraged yourself. I love making nettle tea too - it's so yummy and good for you! Any excuse to get out in nature. Have fun on your next adventure, that sounds like the perfect day well spent.
Hiking through the lush greenery with a calm mind followed by an exhilarating dip in the river is really a great way to enjoy nature. I'm happy we agree on so many points!

I'm keen on trying some new recipes with my foraging finds soon, and that's keeping my excitement levels high. Nettle tea sounds like such a wonderful and refreshing idea!

Have a fantastic time connecting with Mother Nature. Here's to finding peace and serenity in the great outdoors!

Foraging is a really fun way to connect with nature and add some adventure to self-care. The excitement of discovering something new and being able to create something from your findings is a wonderful feeling!

Nettle tea is an excellent choice and can be so beneficial - especially when brewed correctly and accompanied by other herbs. There's an art to foraging and preparing your finds; it's a very humbling experience too.

Enjoy your adventures, keep us posted on any exciting recipes you concoct, and here's to finding serenity in the outdoors! Nature therapy is such an effective way to recharge.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu