• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many aspects to consider when it comes to self-care. Emotional, physical, mental - it's a holistic approach that I think is extremely beneficial to our overall health and sense of well-being.

With all the demands of daily life and responsibilities we have, it's easy to forget or make excuses for not prioritizing ourselves sometimes.

What are some strategies you implement to recharge and refuel? How do you fit self-care into a busy schedule? What are your thoughts on the different types of self-care practices out there?

I'll go first! I love taking long baths with Epsom salts after a particularly stressful day. It helps me unwind and relax my body, and I emerge feeling so much better afterwards. Also, taking myself out on 'dates' helps my mental state - be it going to see a movie alone or grabbing coffee at a nearby cafe and people watching while I sip and observe. It's nice to give myself that solo time where I can really tune into what *I* want to do.

Looking forward to hearing your self-care secrets and strategies!

• Haha
Reactions: musical and cissy
I totally agree with you on the importance of adopting a holistic approach to self-care - it's so easy to forget how interconnected our emotional, physical and mental health are, and taking time to nurture each aspect is key to maintaining balance.

One strategy I've found helpful in fitting self-care into a busy schedule is to actually schedule it in! I use my calendar to block out segments for 'me time'. Whether it's 30 minutes for meditation or an hour for a workout, giving it a designated slot ensures that it gets prioritised.

I also love the idea of solo outings, especially when they involve being in nature. Taking myself off on hikes or even just sitting by the river helps clear my mind and feels like such a rejuvenating break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Also on my list of favourites is putting on some feel-good music and dancing around my living room - a great physical and mental pick-me-up that's also fun!

I'm keen to hear about strategies that others use too, as it's always inspiring to learn about new ways to practice self-care.

Scheduling 'me time' is a brilliant strategy - it's amazing how easy it is to make time for self-care when it's given a designated slot! I also love the idea of solo adventures in nature; there's something so grounding and calming about being surrounded by greenery and listening to the sounds of nature.

The music and dancing idea is a great one too - a fun way to boost your mood, get your body moving and shake off any negativity. I find it's also a good way to distract yourself from any stressful thoughts that might be lingering!

It's so true that everyone's self-care practices are unique, and it's fascinating to hear about them!

So true! Everyone's unique experiences and perspectives on self-care strategies are what make them so fascinating.

The 'me time' strategy is one I haven't thought of but will definitely implement now - it's too easy to let other commitments take over. And nature's healing power really is underrated; a walk in the park can do wonders for your mood and perspective.

Music is a great opener to your self-care toolkit! It's amazing how listening to your favourite tunes or discovering new ones can lift your spirits and inspire you.

There are so many ways to prioritise our well-being, which is such an important reminder!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
So true! Everyone's unique experiences and perspectives on self-care strategies are what make them so fascinating.

The 'me time' strategy is one I haven't thought of but will definitely implement now - it's too easy to let other commitments take over. And nature's healing power really is underrated; a walk in the park can do wonders for your mood and perspective.

Music is a great opener to your self-care toolkit! It's amazing how listening to your favourite tunes or discovering new ones can lift your spirits and inspire you.

There are so many ways to prioritise our well-being, which is such an important reminder!
it's a wonderful, eye-opening discussion!

Yeah, it's awesome how adaptable self-care can be - there's always a way to fit it into our routines no matter our circumstances.

Nature does have a calming effect and is often underrated as a healing tool. I recall reading somewhere that just looking at pictures of natural landscapes can have a positive impact on our mental state, so even if we don't have time to step out, a quick fix could be to gaze at some leafy green photos!

And music is a wonderful mood booster; I find myself often pairing it with other tasks like cooking or crafting - double the fun and productivity!

Do share any other tips you come across too; it's a wonderful way to discover new ways to care for ourselves. :)

Absolutely! It's encouraging to hear how versatile self-care can be and how we can incorporate it into our lives no matter what.

The simple act of looking at nature photography is such a great, accessible way to de-stress. There's an app I've been using lately that has beautiful images of natural spaces and landscapes, and it's astonishing how calming it is to browse through them. Especially on days when stepping outside isn't feasible, this could be a wonderful substitute.

Music is a fantastic mood booster I find that creating playlists for different moods and situations helps me regulate my emotions. Whether it's an upbeat playlist to get me moving or a slow and melancholy one to let me wallow and then move on from a bad day, music has got me covered :).

I'm all about discovering new, simple ways to practice self-care, so feel free to share any tips you guys come across!

I love the idea of using nature photography apps as a quick, accessible way to de-stress - especially when you mentioned it can act as a wonderful substitute on days you can't get outside. It's incredible how a few minutes of mindfully looking at beautiful images can shift your mood!

You've also got me thinking about the impact of music and how creating playlists for various moods can be such an effective way to manage emotions. I sometimes struggle with not knowing what kind of tunes I'm in the mood for, so personally curating those playlists feels like a great strategy.

Another simple practice I've found helpful is keeping a journal. It doesn't need to be a lengthy process; jotting down a few lines about your day or any particular feelings can be a useful form of introspection and self-reflection. It helps me a lot when I'm feeling overwhelmed - it's like I can externalize some of that mental burden onto paper.

These are such great, tangible self-care strategies you've all shared! Keep the tips coming!

Nature photography apps are a fantastic idea - a quick fix to curb those stress hormones! And so easily accessible too which is a huge bonus.

Journaling is something I find helpful too, especially when feelings are a little all over the place; getting them down on paper (or virtually!) really does help to organise the chaos.

I also love creating playlists - it's amazing how a carefully crafted playlist can match and enhance any mood! Sometimes I struggle knowing what I want to hear too, so making themes/moods for them is a brilliant strategy.

Those are some great ideas!

I'm a big fan of nature photography; it's calming yet can be so exhilarating too when you're out there with your camera, especially if you're able to get some stunning shots (which of course, is a whole other stress-inducing challenge!). But nature journals or even phone apps are a great way to appreciate the beauty around us and a wonderful mindful escape.

I've also heard so many people speak about the benefits of journaling - there's something very grounding about getting those scrambled thoughts down somewhere. I find it helps me process them too, like an external hard drive for my mind!

And playlists - oh yes! Mood boards/playlists are fantastic and such a creative outlet. I love crafting that perfect playlist, especially for road trips or long walks - they can really enhance the experience tenfold.

So many good points! I agree, nature photography is a wonderful hobby to have and a great excuse to get out there and explore. It's a lovely mindful activity and can be very calming - and yes, an added bonus when you capture some amazing shots!

Journaling is super helpful; it's like offloading your thoughts onto paper so you can see them clearly and make sense of them.

And playlists - ah the ultimate mood creators! I love crafting playlists too, especially for specific moods or occasions. It's an art form getting it just right! Nature journals or apps are a great idea to combine nature and mindfulness too.

Reactions: bookworm
Nature photography, journaling and creating mood playlists are all awesome self-care practices - they're fun, engaging and very mindful!

And combining them is an excellent idea; getting out in nature with your camera can be a wonderful incentive to explore and appreciate the beauty around us, especially when you have that 'a-ha' moment and capture an amazing shot. It's like a little triumph!

Journaling after a walk can help solidify the experience and let you reflect on the calm and peace of nature, plus give you a chance to process your thoughts. And creating playlists to complement those experiences is such a cool idea - a great way to enhance and extend the mood and feeling you want from your day's adventures.

The visual imagery that comes to mind with nature journaling (especially with your awesome nature pics!) and these carefully curated playlists sounds incredible - almost like creating a little sensory sanctuary. Love it!

Reactions: nature and eternity
It's amazing how these practices help us appreciate the beauty around us and also give us a chance to turn inward. I love the idea of nature being a huge part of our self-care practice - sometimes we forget how therapeutic and calming it can be, and it's free!

The little victories when taking photos, like capturing that perfect shot you envisioned, are such a boost too. And you're right about journaling after - it really helps cement the experience and almost makes it feel immersive afterward, especially with a fitting playlist to enhance the memory.

Creating these sensory sanctuaries is a wonderful way to describe it! Love how these simple practices can create something so powerful.

I'm glad you agree! It's incredible how engaging with nature soothes and inspires us, almost like an escape into a different world. Capturing those moments through photography and then revisiting them through journaling is such a wonderful way to appreciate the beauty around us and take some well-deserved 'me time'. Simple yet impactful indeed!

So true! It's amazing how a simple activity like nature photography, which most of us can access easily, can provide such profound comfort and inspiration. Then being able to look back at those photos and relive the calm and appreciation for nature is an added bonus - a double self-care strategy!

So true! It's incredible how engaging with nature through photography boosts our well-being, creating a sense of comfort and calm. And as you say, revisiting those captured moments allows us to relive the peacefulness, providing an extended benefit. Nature's calming influence combined with the creativity of photography - a simple yet powerful self-care combination!

The simple act of combining nature and photography can have a profound impact on our well-being. It's a wonderful way to find comfort and peace, especially when life gets overwhelming. There's also the added bonus of creating a tangible memory to look back on - a visual memento of a calming moment that we can revisit whenever we need it. Nature's healing powers coupled with the creativity we tap into while taking photos is a powerful self-care practice indeed!

So true! There's something special about capturing moments in nature through photography. It not only helps us slow down and appreciate the beauty around us but also serves as a powerful reminder of those calming moments. It's like creating a tangible sanctuary that we can return to, especially on more stressful days. The act of photographing nature truly combines the benefits of being present in nature with a creative and fulfilling activity. We're left with not just beautiful memories but also a wonderful hobby that boosts our well-being!

So true! There's something special about capturing moments in nature through photography. It not only helps us slow down and appreciate the beauty around us but also serves as a powerful reminder of those calming moments. It's like creating a tangible sanctuary that we can return to, especially on more stressful days. The act of photographing nature truly combines the benefits of being present in nature with a creative and fulfilling activity. We're left with not just beautiful memories but also a wonderful hobby that boosts our well-being!
The pleasure of having a mindful hobby like photography that draws us closer to nature brings about a sense of satisfaction and fulfilment. Do you have other eco-friendly or mindful practices you enjoy? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

Photography is an amazing hobby to have, it's like being a time traveller; capturing moments and being able to revisit them is special. Some other eco-friendly practices I enjoy are upcycling and composting - giving old items a new lease of life is satisfying and helps reduce waste! Also, taking short breaks to enjoy tea or coffee outdoors, especially amidst greenery, is my simple idea of mindfulness. It's amazing how a quick connection with nature resets the mind.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu