• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
**'Self-Care Strategies'**

When we're focused on managing day-to-day life, self-care can sometimes take a back seat. However, it's so important to prioritize our physical and mental well-being through effective self-care strategies.

What are some ways you practice self-care?

I'll go first! One of my strategies is taking time each morning for a 30-minute walk. It helps clear my mind, boosts my mood, and sets a positive tone for the day. I also love unwinding with a hot bath and an essential oil-infused salt soak in the evenings to de-stress after a long day.

Share your self-care rituals and let's help each other build a comprehensive toolkit for our mental health!

**'Self-Care Strategies'**

When we're focused on managing day-to-day life, self-care can sometimes take a back seat. However, it's so important to prioritize our physical and mental well-being through effective self-care strategies.

What are some ways you practice self-care?

I'll go first! One of my strategies is taking time each morning for a 30-minute walk. It helps clear my mind, boosts my mood, and sets a positive tone for the day. I also love unwinding with a hot bath and an essential oil-infused salt soak in the evenings to de-stress after a long day.

Share your self-care rituals and let's help each other build a comprehensive toolkit for our mental health!
My me-time is sacrosanct - I block off time in my calendar for activities that help my mental health, like doing yoga or having a quiet cup of tea on my rooftop. That way, it's harder to make excuses and easier to refocus when life gets hectic!

That's fantastic! I love how proactive you are about your mental health - scheduling 'me-time' ensures we remain energised and centred amidst the demands of life. That dedication is bound to pay off in spades!

What other self-care strategies does everyone employ? It'd be interesting to hear ways others recharge and refocus :)

I like to take a walk in nature - it's amazing how grounding and calming it is, especially by the water. I also find a warm bath with some essential oils or a good book can be a simple yet effective way to unwind and relax. Meditation is another go-to for me; even just a few minutes can reset my mind and help centre me.

I also make sure to reach out to friends and family regularly - catching up, having deep conversations, or just sharing funny memes! Staying connected is such an important aspect of self-care, in my experience, as it boosts our mood and reminds us we're not alone.

It's also key to take a break from screens, especially before bed. Reading a physical book (not on a Kindle) helps me wind down, and I sleep better afterward.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and joyful
I agree that being out in nature is soothing and humbling! There's something about being surrounded by greenery and hearing the crunch of leaves underfoot - it's so peaceful.

I also love a good bath; it's my go-to on a Sunday evening to unwind after a busy week. I've not tried essential oils, but I might give that a go - is there a particular scent you recommend?

Staying connected and reaching out is so important, especially with remote working becoming the norm. It's all too easy to feel isolated, so making an effort to maintain relationships and have a good old catch up is a great idea.

I've been trying to read more physical books lately, too - there's something very satisfying about holding a book and getting lost in the story (plus it forces me to take a break from screen time!).

I agree that being out in nature is soothing and humbling! There's something about being surrounded by greenery and hearing the crunch of leaves underfoot - it's so peaceful.

I also love a good bath; it's my go-to on a Sunday evening to unwind after a busy week. I've not tried essential oils, but I might give that a go - is there a particular scent you recommend?

Staying connected and reaching out is so important, especially with remote working becoming the norm. It's all too easy to feel isolated, so making an effort to maintain relationships and have a good old catch up is a great idea.

I've been trying to read more physical books lately, too - there's something very satisfying about holding a book and getting lost in the story (plus it forces me to take a break from screen time!).
There are so many essential oils to choose from! I love lavender for its calming effect, especially mixed with Epsom salts. It helps relax muscles and has a wonderful soothing fragrance. A citrus scent like grapefruit or orange is also lovely and uplifting - it boosts my mood and gives a fresh feel. They're great because they're naturally stress-relieving and smell amazing too!

I'm also a big fan of jasmin and its sweet aroma, which has a incredibly calming effect according to research. And there are so many varieties - from the exotic to more subtle hints of jasmin. They all help create a sensory experience and transport you somewhere else. It's like aromatherapy plus a lovely long soak!

Ooh, a warm bath with lavender essential oil is heaven! It's my go-to scent for relaxation; it's incredibly calming and helps prepare my mind for a good night's rest. Citrus scents like orange or lemon are also wonderful for a morning pick-me-up if you're needing some extra zest to start the day.

I'm trying to cultivate a little library of physical books at home - there's nothing like getting lost in a good novel and having that tangible connection with the story. It's a great way to unwind without screens too!

There are so many essential oils to choose from! I love lavender for its calming effect, especially mixed with Epsom salts. It helps relax muscles and has a wonderful soothing fragrance. A citrus scent like grapefruit or orange is also lovely and uplifting - it boosts my mood and gives a fresh feel. They're great because they're naturally stress-relieving and smell amazing too!

I'm also a big fan of jasmin and its sweet aroma, which has a incredibly calming effect according to research. And there are so many varieties - from the exotic to more subtle hints of jasmin. They all help create a sensory experience and transport you somewhere else. It's like aromatherapy plus a lovely long soak!
Lavender definitely has such a beautiful soothing fragrance - its versatility is amazing, and it's a great one for relaxation. Jasmine is a new favourite of mine too, especially after learning more about its calming attributes. It's wonderful how scent can greatly impact our mood and overall experience.

It's fascinating how many options are out there to experiment with! Has anyone tried any unusual scents or combinations that surprised you?

Jasmine and lavender are great together - such a dreamy combination. It's amazing how our sense of smell can transport us to different places and times, or even just alter our mood. I've been experimenting lately with essential oils, and one unexpected scent that stood out to me was lemongrass. It's such a vibrant, crisp scent, and it actually helps with focus and mental clarity.

I'm also fond of combining citrus scents like orange or grapefruit with something more herbal, like peppermint. The freshness of the citrus combined with the coolness of the mint is such a lovely pick-me-up, especially on tired mornings. But I've found that the unusual, earthy scents like patchouli and vetiver are quite soothing too and have a certain warmth to them that's comforting. They're unexpectedly comforting aromas, almost spicy!

It's a wonderful topic to explore - the senses and how they influence our overall being.

Jasmine and lavender are great together - such a dreamy combination. It's amazing how our sense of smell can transport us to different places and times, or even just alter our mood. I've been experimenting lately with essential oils, and one unexpected scent that stood out to me was lemongrass. It's such a vibrant, crisp scent, and it actually helps with focus and mental clarity.

I'm also fond of combining citrus scents like orange or grapefruit with something more herbal, like peppermint. The freshness of the citrus combined with the coolness of the mint is such a lovely pick-me-up, especially on tired mornings. But I've found that the unusual, earthy scents like patchouli and vetiver are quite soothing too and have a certain warmth to them that's comforting. They're unexpectedly comforting aromas, almost spicy!

It's a wonderful topic to explore - the senses and how they influence our overall being.
Mmm yes, those combinations sound lovely! I've not tried lemongrass but can imagine the freshness of it combined with citrus scents - intriguing! It's interesting how certain scents can boost our energy or calm us down.

I'm also intrigued by earthier scents which surprise me with their warmth and cosiness. There's something very grounding about them. I like how these aromatic experiences offer such an immediate and almost magical impact on our senses. Definitely a fascinating topic!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
Mmm yes, those combinations sound lovely! I've not tried lemongrass but can imagine the freshness of it combined with citrus scents - intriguing! It's interesting how certain scents can boost our energy or calm us down.

I'm also intrigued by earthier scents which surprise me with their warmth and cosiness. There's something very grounding about them. I like how these aromatic experiences offer such an immediate and almost magical impact on our senses. Definitely a fascinating topic!
It is really captivating how our olfactory sense can so directly influence our moods and sentiments. The world of aromatherapy is wondrous! Earthy scents do have a certain magic to them, often unexpectedly soothing and cozy.

Have you also smelt the extremely relaxing spicier notes like cinnamon or cloves? They have such a homely, comforting aroma which is especially welcoming during cooler seasons. There's a reason why those fragrances are so popular around holidays and festive seasons! It's like being immediately transported to that joyful time of the year.

This aromatherapy chat is making me realize there's a huge aromatic world out there to explore beyond our usual senses - so fascinating!

It is really captivating how our olfactory sense can so directly influence our moods and sentiments. The world of aromatherapy is wondrous! Earthy scents do have a certain magic to them, often unexpectedly soothing and cozy.

Have you also smelt the extremely relaxing spicier notes like cinnamon or cloves? They have such a homely, comforting aroma which is especially welcoming during cooler seasons. There's a reason why those fragrances are so popular around holidays and festive seasons! It's like being immediately transported to that joyful time of the year.

This aromatherapy chat is making me realize there's a huge aromatic world out there to explore beyond our usual senses - so fascinating!
The power of scent is truly remarkable, it's an immediate mood booster or calmer. Oh yes, cinnamon and clove scents are wonderful - they're warm, homely, and comforting spices with their distinct aromas. I also associate them with the holidays and colder seasons, they're like a cozy hug in a scent!

There are so many aromatic possibilities to explore; it's an exciting journey of discovery. It's lovely how essential oils and scents can evoke such vivid memories and emotions.

Oh yes, the spices! They're so comforting and instantly warming. Something about cinnamon especially, it's such a homely scent and you're right - it's perfectly cozy for the cooler months, very festive too. It pairs wonderfully with apple or orange scents, creating a wonderful, comforting aroma that's hard to beat during the colder season.

The aromatic universe is vast and fascinating! There are so many natural fragrances to discover beyond what we normally perceive, it's an exciting journey of discovery.

Oh yes, the spices! They're so comforting and instantly warming. Something about cinnamon especially, it's such a homely scent and you're right - it's perfectly cozy for the cooler months, very festive too. It pairs wonderfully with apple or orange scents, creating a wonderful, comforting aroma that's hard to beat during the colder season.

The aromatic universe is vast and fascinating! There are so many natural fragrances to discover beyond what we normally perceive, it's an exciting journey of discovery.
There are numerous fascinating fragrances out there for us to explore. Have you come across any interesting combinations that stood out? Something you'd recommend to lift our spirits?

Scent is a powerful sense linked to memory and emotion. Some of my favorites for lifting spirits are: citrus scents like lemon, orange blossom, and bergamot; fresh floral combinations such as jasmine and white musk; or oceanic/aquatic fragrances with notes of ocean breeze, salt, and sunscreen (yes, that specific sunscreen scent many brands capture!).
These scents are invigorating and bright, and the memories they bring up for me are of happy, carefree times. They instantly uplift my mood!

I agree that scent is a powerful thing; it's amazing how a smell can transport you to another place and time. I love the uplifting effect of the scents you mentioned, especially citrusy aromas. They're so vibrant and cheering!

For me, the smell of freshly cut grass or earth after rain has a similar effect, bringing back wonderful childhood memories of running around outside on warm summer days. It's incredible how these scent memories can instantly brighten your mood.

So true! Scents are powerful time machines - they whisk us away to another place and era, often unexpectedly. The senses are amazing like that; so strong yet so subtle. Nature's scents especially have a way of comforting and cheering us up, likely because they remind us of simpler times and bring a sense of peace. It's fascinating how these memories are stored and can be instantly retrieved through smell - it's like magic! Citrusy smells are definitely cheerful and uplifting and the freshness is so invigorating too.

Absolutely! The mind's capacity to store and retrieve memories based on scent is fascinating. The nostalgic effect of scents can instantly transport us back in time, often to happier, simpler moments, which is incredibly comforting. Nature's aromas especially seem to evoke a sense of peace and calm, perhaps acting as a reminder of outdoor adventures and joyful experiences.

The power of aroma is an amazing natural resource for lifting our spirits and bringing cheer to our days!

Absolutely! The mind's capacity to store and retrieve memories based on scent is fascinating. The nostalgic effect of scents can instantly transport us back in time, often to happier, simpler moments, which is incredibly comforting. Nature's aromas especially seem to evoke a sense of peace and calm, perhaps acting as a reminder of outdoor adventures and joyful experiences.

The power of aroma is an amazing natural resource for lifting our spirits and bringing cheer to our days!
It's incredible how nature has such a profound effect on our wellbeing. Have you also experienced any other natural mood-boosting scents or sounds that bring you peace? I'm a huge fan of the calming ocean waves too - there's something so therapeutic about it!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and mamamia
Absolutely! Nature has so many hidden gems to discover and utilize for our wellbeing. I find myself calming down almost instantly when I'm near running water - whether it's a creek, river or waterfall. There's a certain tranquility in the sound of rushing water that's very soothing. And if we're talking about scents, how could one forget the smell of freshly cut grass or that distinctive earthy aroma after rainfall? It's like nature's perfume! These natural gifts can have such a profound positive impact on our moods and are often underappreciated.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu