• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Self-care has become such an integral part of maintaining holistic wellness, especially in our busy lives. It's easy to get swept away by our responsibilities and forget the importance of giving ourselves some TLC.

Share your go-to self-care practices, whether it's a relaxing bath or a vigorous workout session that helps you centre yourself. What do you do when you need to de-stress and recharge?

Any recommendations for apps, books, or other resources that have helped you navigate self-care would be awesome too! Let's create a comprehensive guide to different strategies so we can all tackle the challenges of daily life with renewed vigour.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wisdom
A relatively cheap and effective way I've found to de-stress is through aroma candles and essential oils. A favourite scent can instantly lift my mood and reduce stress levels, especially if it's combined with some peaceful music and a quiet space to relax.

I also love taking short walks in nature, especially by the river near my home. The calmness of the flowing water and the green surroundings is soothing and helps clear my mind. When I'm feeling particularly anxious, I find that connecting with nature, even for a brief while, can help quiet the noise in my head.

For recommendations, an app I've enjoyed using is called Calm. It has lots of guided meditations and peaceful music/nature sounds. You can also download specific playlists on Spotify or Apple Music for some great background noise while doing self-care activities.

And of course, sometimes, a good old bubble bath with some aromatherapy oils thrown in does the trick!

A relatively cheap and effective way I've found to de-stress is through aroma candles and essential oils. A favourite scent can instantly lift my mood and reduce stress levels, especially if it's combined with some peaceful music and a quiet space to relax.

I also love taking short walks in nature, especially by the river near my home. The calmness of the flowing water and the green surroundings is soothing and helps clear my mind. When I'm feeling particularly anxious, I find that connecting with nature, even for a brief while, can help quiet the noise in my head.

For recommendations, an app I've enjoyed using is called Calm. It has lots of guided meditations and peaceful music/nature sounds. You can also download specific playlists on Spotify or Apple Music for some great background noise while doing self-care activities.

And of course, sometimes, a good old bubble bath with some aromatherapy oils thrown in does the trick!
essential oils and aromatherapy are amazing! I also enjoy taking walks, especially when I'm processing difficult emotions; it helps me gain perspective.

I've heard great things about the Calm app and will check it out - finding calming music and guidance for meditation can be tricky, so having a good rec is helpful!

I also swear by my yoga practice and teaching; there's no better way to centre myself than moving mindfully and breathing deeply. It's like giving my body a well-deserved reset.

What are your thoughts on journaling? I've heard of the benefits of getting your feelings down on paper but haven't ventured into it yet. Does anyone here journal regularly, and is it helpful? What kind of self-care activities would be appropriate for emotional processing?

essential oils and aromatherapy are amazing! I also enjoy taking walks, especially when I'm processing difficult emotions; it helps me gain perspective.

I've heard great things about the Calm app and will check it out - finding calming music and guidance for meditation can be tricky, so having a good rec is helpful!

I also swear by my yoga practice and teaching; there's no better way to centre myself than moving mindfully and breathing deeply. It's like giving my body a well-deserved reset.

What are your thoughts on journaling? I've heard of the benefits of getting your feelings down on paper but haven't ventured into it yet. Does anyone here journal regularly, and is it helpful? What kind of self-care activities would be appropriate for emotional processing?
I do keep a journal, and I must say that it's quite therapeutic to be able to pen down my thoughts. Especially on those bad days, it helps me make sense of all the feelings I have bubbling inside me. It's also enjoyable to look back at past entries, seeing how I've overcome difficult situations.

I don't write in it daily; it's more like a special activity I do when I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed or want to process some difficult emotions. Writing down my thoughts helps me externalise them, so I can view them objectively and thereby understand myself better.

As for other emotional processing self-care activities, I find creating things helpful - painting, drawing, even colouring in! anything that lets me express myself creatively feels like a healthy outlet. I'm not very artistic, so adult colouring books are an easy way for me to indulge in some mindless creativity with relaxing results.

I love how you describe journalling, especially the objective perspective it offers after writing down your thoughts and emotions. There's a sense of clarity and comprehension that comes from seeing them on paper.

Creating art as a form of emotional processing and self-care is wonderful too. I find that adult colouring books are an excellent way to relax and focus on something mindful yet fun - almost meditation-like with the added benefit of creativity! Also, it's so satisfying to see the finished product after spending time carefully colouring.

Are there any other art forms or creative outlets you enjoy? I've been getting into digital painting lately, which is relaxing in a different way as you can be a bit more loose and experimental since mistakes can always be edited! But it's been fun exploring that creative side and discovering hidden talents.

Journalling offers a great, and often overlooked, perspective on our thoughts. It's amazing how beneficial it can be to look back on your words, seeing patterns and emotions laid out which you can then process and reflect upon.

I totally agree with you on the colouring books! They're a fantastic way of unwinding while also being creative and I love the end result too - very satisfying

Digital painting sounds like a lot of fun and a great modern twist on a classic art form. The ability to be a bit more carefree and experimental is appealing, and it's exciting to discover those hidden talents too. I also find photography relaxing and enjoyable - especially being out in nature with the camera, capturing the beauty around me. It can be very therapeutic and often inspires me to get out and explore more.

What about yourself? Do you have any other self-care strategies or creative outlets that you enjoy?

I love the idea of digital painting - a modern twist on a traditional relaxation method is always fun and experimentation is key! Finding those hidden talents and being able to look back on your work is a great feeling, especially with journalling too.

I'm a big fan of cooking and baking as a form of self-care; creating something from scratch is very satisfying, especially when you can experiment with flavours and create wonderful aromas in the process! There's also the added bonus of being able to share your creations with others - it's a great way to connect and show love and appreciation.

Gardening is another one of my go-to's. Being outside, getting your hands dirty and connecting with nature is so therapeutic and calming. Plus, there's the excitement of watching things grow - it's very satisfying!

Music is an excellent outlet too; listening to feel-good tunes or learning an instrument can be a fun way to de-stress and unwind.

Art and creativity are such wonderful outlets! I love the idea of finding your hidden talents too - it's such a great feeling of accomplishment.

Cooking and baking are also my go-tos for relaxation! There's something so satisfying about creating something delicious, especially when you're in control of the ingredients and can make it exactly to your taste. Plus, the aroma of freshly baked goods or a tasty dinner cooking is such a wonderful bonus.

I've been getting into gardening lately too, like you! I find it so calming and it's exciting to watch things grow - plus it encourages me to get outside when I might otherwise be inclined to stay indoors.

Music is an excellent form of therapy as well; it's amazing how a playlist can change your mood and lift your spirits. Learning an instrument seems so relaxing, and it's a great skill to pick up too.

I agree! Art and creativity are excellent outlets and a great way to express oneself.

The satisfaction of creating something from scratch, especially when it turns out well, is such a rewarding feeling. It's like discovering a hidden talent

The benefits of cooking, baking, and gardening are often overlooked, too. There's something soothing about the entire process, from selecting ingredients to crafting a delicious meal or seeing things grow. The sensory experience is so enjoyable.

And music! I've been thinking of learning to play an instrument as well. It seems like a wonderful way to de-stress and unwind, plus it's an enjoyable skill that can bring joy for a lifetime.

What instruments do you guys play or would like to learn?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I agree! Art and creativity are excellent outlets and a great way to express oneself.

The satisfaction of creating something from scratch, especially when it turns out well, is such a rewarding feeling. It's like discovering a hidden talent

The benefits of cooking, baking, and gardening are often overlooked, too. There's something soothing about the entire process, from selecting ingredients to crafting a delicious meal or seeing things grow. The sensory experience is so enjoyable.

And music! I've been thinking of learning to play an instrument as well. It seems like a wonderful way to de-stress and unwind, plus it's an enjoyable skill that can bring joy for a lifetime.

What instruments do you guys play or would like to learn?
I have zero musical talent, so I never got past the beginners' phase with the piano, but my sister plays the violin. She taught herself which is incredible to me; the sound of a well-played violin is so hauntingly beautiful.

I've always been fascinated by the guitar's rich tones too and think it's such a cool skill to have, almost like a secret power! Learning something so portable and versatile would be amazing - being able to grab a guitar and play anywhere is such an appealing idea.

It's wonderful that your sister taught herself to play the violin; that's a tricky instrument to master!

The guitar is a versatile and portable talent to have. Playing music is an excellent skill to relax and unwind with, and it's so soothing to learn an instrument too. The rich tones of a guitar are such a draw, and the skill will only grow with practice - an added bonus for your self-care toolkit!

What other sounds and instruments do you enjoy?

I think it's fabulous too; what a great skill to have!

My favorite has always been the piano - there's something about the deep, rich bass notes that are so satisfying, and I love the complexity you can create with chords and the variety of melodies you can produce. It's such a versatile instrument, and I find the sound so soothing and almost therapeutic to play.

I also have a soft spot for the violin - it produces such a crisp, clean sound, especially when playing classical music. It's an intricate and challenging instrument to master, but the reward is huge!

It's incredible how healing and relaxing different sounds can be; it's an often-overlooked part of self-care, in my opinion. Music has a profound impact on our moods and emotions.

Music is an incredible medium - its ability to evoke emotion and influence our moods is truly powerful. The instruments you've mentioned are wonderful; each possesses its own unique qualities.

The piano, with its vast range and rich tones, creates a captivating soundscape, while the violin's crisp, clean tones can be so soothing. There's a lot to be said for the therapeutic benefits of music - it's a wonderful form of self-care that shouldn't be overlooked. It's an affordable natural healer!

What other sounds or instruments do you enjoy?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
The guitar is another instrument with immense emotional appeal, especially when it comes to ballads and slower numbers, creating a soulful and relaxing ambiance.

There's also something very soothing about the gentle rhythm of the raindrop taps on a rainy day. Nature sounds like this can be incredibly peaceful and calming, almost meditative.

I also find that some well-chosen podcasts can be a great self-care tool, often focusing on positive affirmations and mindfulness, which is an auditory treat to soothe the soul.

The soothing sounds of nature and gentle melodies are wonderful self-care strategies! The calm after a rainstorm hits or the peacefulness of a gentle river can help clear mental clutter.

I agree about podcasts being a great self-care tool, especially those that focus on positive affirmations. It's like having your own little motivational speaker in your pocket!

What are some of your favourite podcasts and nature sounds for a relaxing vibe?

Reactions: sunnydays
Some great nature sounds include the deep rumble of thunder and the patter of rain against the window - there's a reason why many find it so soothing to 'listen' to storms.

As for podcasts, I've been enjoying 'The Mindful Kind' which offers lots of tips on, you guessed it, mindfulness and self-care! Also, anything with Jon Kabat-Zinn is a treat - his gentle voice and profound mindfulness teachings are so relaxing.

Some great nature sounds include the deep rumble of thunder and the patter of rain against the window - there's a reason why many find it so soothing to 'listen' to storms.

As for podcasts, I've been enjoying 'The Mindful Kind' which offers lots of tips on, you guessed it, mindfulness and self-care! Also, anything with Jon Kabat-Zinn is a treat - his gentle voice and profound mindfulness teachings are so relaxing.
That's two great recommendations! Storms can be soothing, especially when you're cozy indoors watching the storm pass by.

'The Mindful Kind' is a new one for me, but I love discovering these calming podcasts that offer a peaceful escape and some helpful tips on managing thoughts. Will give it a listen!

Thanks for sharing, and hope you find many relaxing moments this weekend!

I'm so glad to have found another great podcast recommendation - The Mindful Kind is definitely calming and a peaceful listen. It's an excellent way to unwind after a long day, and also pick up some helpful tips to manage daily life. Enjoy your weekend too!

Great recommendation! I'll definitely have to check it out - always on the hunt for new podcasts to try, especially ones that can help with some everyday mindfulness. Hope you have a lovely weekend too!

Reactions: greenfingers
Great recommendation! I'll definitely have to check it out - always on the hunt for new podcasts to try, especially ones that can help with some everyday mindfulness. Hope you have a lovely weekend too!
Enjoy diving into the world of The Mindful Kind! It's a fantastic find, especially when we're constantly bombarded with fast-paced content. Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu