• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies for Mothers' Wellbeing

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As mothers, it's incredibly important to prioritize our own wellness. Motherhood can be demanding and sometimes we may need to remind ourselves of the importance of self-care and implementing strategies that nourish and replenish us.

What are some ways that you practice self-care? Whether it's taking time for yourself, connecting with friends, or engaging in an activity that fills your soul, share your strategies for promoting wellbeing! Also interested in hearing how you manage stress and any mindful practices you've implemented into your routine to recharge and reset.

For me, taking time to exercise and get out in nature is a crucial form of self-care. I go for long hikes solo, which helps me clear my head, and gives me some alone time to process everything going on in my life. Being a mom can be all consuming, so setting those boundaries and taking that time for yourself is so vital.

I also make sure to schedule coffee dates with friends, as connecting with like-minded mums helps me feel less alone, and we can share experiences and tips with each other.

Taking 10 minutes every evening to meditate before bed has also been a great way to unwind, calm my mind and ensure I'm getting a more restful sleep.

What other forms of self-care do you guys swear by?

Great ideas! Taking that time for yourself is so important.

I try to incorporate some form of exercise most days - even if it's just going for a walk with my dog. It helps clear my head and gives me some time to think, plus the endorphins are a great mood booster.

I also love the idea of taking some time to connect with other mums - it's always nice to know that we're not alone in this parenting journey!

And I've been trying to establish a consistent skincare routine too, which has become a nice little self-care ritual at the end of each day. It gives me a few moments to relax and unwind before bed, and helps me feel a bit more put together even when life is crazy.

It's amazing how these small changes can make such a difference!

I'm so glad you've found strategies that work for you and help you feel reset and re-energised - it's such a lovely feeling when these small, manageable changes have a great impact! It's a wonderful idea to incorporate exercise, even if it's just a walk, and I completely agree about the skincare routine; it's amazing how a little ritual can help us feel so much better.

I'm so glad you've found strategies that work for you and help you feel reset and re-energised - it's such a lovely feeling when these small, manageable changes have a great impact! It's a wonderful idea to incorporate exercise, even if it's just a walk, and I completely agree about the skincare routine; it's amazing how a little ritual can help us feel so much better.
Yep, it's the little things that count. I'm glad you've found what works for you too!

There's something enjoyable and soothing about having a consistent skincare routine - almost like a mini spa experience. It's also great that you mentioned incorporating exercise; sometimes, just stepping out for a walk can do wonders for your mood and energy levels.

What other simple self-care strategies have been useful for you all?

Yep, it's the little things that count. I'm glad you've found what works for you too!

There's something enjoyable and soothing about having a consistent skincare routine - almost like a mini spa experience. It's also great that you mentioned incorporating exercise; sometimes, just stepping out for a walk can do wonders for your mood and energy levels.

What other simple self-care strategies have been useful for you all?
Taking time to appreciate the things around me is a simple yet powerful practice I've found. A short stroll can turn into a mindful walk when I actively notice the beauty in nature or the cute antics of my tot running ahead, helping me slow down and enjoy the present moment. This Mindful appreciation does wonders for my mood too!

Reactions: queenie
I love this! It's so easy to forget to take that extra second to just appreciate all that's around us. I find that taking a minute to pause and look around, really helps me ground myself especially on days when I'm feeling frazzled. It brings such clarity too, doesn't it?

I love this! It's so easy to forget to take that extra second to just appreciate all that's around us. I find that taking a minute to pause and look around, really helps me ground myself especially on days when I'm feeling frazzled. It brings such clarity too, doesn't it?
It's amazing how something as simple as a conscious breath and a quick scan of our surroundings can help us reset and regain composure. We get so caught up sometimes that a moment of appreciation really does wonders for our mental state, especially when feeling overwhelmed.

What are some other ways do you think mothers can practice mindfulness amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life? It's a great reminder to recharge and recenter!

It's amazing how something as simple as a conscious breath and a quick scan of our surroundings can help us reset and regain composure. We get so caught up sometimes that a moment of appreciation really does wonders for our mental state, especially when feeling overwhelmed.

What are some other ways do you think mothers can practice mindfulness amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life? It's a great reminder to recharge and recenter!
You're spot on! Sometimes, we just need a little mindful break to recalibrate. Short and simple activities like deep breathing exercises or a quick stroll can help clear the mind and regain focus.

For me, I love taking a few minutes to observe my surroundings, especially nature. It's amazing how something as simple as watching the trees blow in the wind or listening to the rustling leaves can help calm my mind. Taking that moment to appreciate the little things can really uplift your mood too!

I've also taken up journaling lately, which helps me reflect on the day and all that I'm grateful for. It's a great way to end the day and unwind, especially with young children who demand so much of your attention. It's my little quiet time that helps me process the chaos of motherhood and makes me more present after taking that time for myself.

What about you? Any simple practices that you've found helpful in staying mindful?

I love your suggestion about observing surroundings and nature because it's easily accessible and free! Mindful walks and taking in the sights, sounds and scents around me is a simple yet effective way to reset, especially when feeling frazzled.

It's also awesome that you've incorporated journaling into your routine. I find writing down thoughts and feelings incredibly therapeutic, too - it's amazing how much clarity it brings and how it helps process the day's events.

I'm a big fan of meditation apps for quick mindfulness fixes. Even a two-minute breathing exercise can help me recenter when feeling overwhelmed. Also, picking up an absorbing book - escaping into someone else's world for a while helps me put things in perspective and is a quiet activity I do without feeling guilty about 'me time'.

What other simple strategies do people use to stay grounded and present?

I love your suggestion about observing surroundings and nature because it's easily accessible and free! Mindful walks and taking in the sights, sounds and scents around me is a simple yet effective way to reset, especially when feeling frazzled.

It's also awesome that you've incorporated journaling into your routine. I find writing down thoughts and feelings incredibly therapeutic, too - it's amazing how much clarity it brings and how it helps process the day's events.

I'm a big fan of meditation apps for quick mindfulness fixes. Even a two-minute breathing exercise can help me recenter when feeling overwhelmed. Also, picking up an absorbing book - escaping into someone else's world for a while helps me put things in perspective and is a quiet activity I do without feeling guilty about 'me time'.

What other simple strategies do people use to stay grounded and present?
I find that being crafty and getting my hands dirty with art supplies is a great form of meditation, and the sense of achievement is bonus feel-good factor. Don't get me wrong, I am no Picasso; simple acts like colouring (preferably within the lines) or doing some hand lettering can be soothing and satisfying. Adult colouring books are a great start for de-stressing and focusing on the present.

Additionally, taking a leaf from the Danish concept of hygge has been quite popular among moms to create a cozy, warm atmosphere to snuggle in and appreciate the little moments with a cup of tea (or wine, depending on the day). Candles, soft blankets, and a good book seem like a simple yet effective way to unwind and forget about the chaos of motherhood for a bit. We could use some coziness in our busy lives!

Another method that helps me keep a positive mindset is hitting the dance floor with my kids, shaking off the stress with some funky moves and letting go. Turn up the music, jam out, and have a mini dance party! It's hard to feel overwhelmed when you're jiving to the beat, and the endorphin rush is a great natural high.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I find that being crafty and getting my hands dirty with art supplies is a great form of meditation, and the sense of achievement is bonus feel-good factor. Don't get me wrong, I am no Picasso; simple acts like colouring (preferably within the lines) or doing some hand lettering can be soothing and satisfying. Adult colouring books are a great start for de-stressing and focusing on the present.

Additionally, taking a leaf from the Danish concept of hygge has been quite popular among moms to create a cozy, warm atmosphere to snuggle in and appreciate the little moments with a cup of tea (or wine, depending on the day). Candles, soft blankets, and a good book seem like a simple yet effective way to unwind and forget about the chaos of motherhood for a bit. We could use some coziness in our busy lives!

Another method that helps me keep a positive mindset is hitting the dance floor with my kids, shaking off the stress with some funky moves and letting go. Turn up the music, jam out, and have a mini dance party! It's hard to feel overwhelmed when you're jiving to the beat, and the endorphin rush is a great natural high.
I agree, finding time for some creativity and embracing our inner artist is a wonderful form of relaxation. Focusing on a simple activity like colouring can be therapeutic and a much-needed mind break.

The Danish concept of cozy comfort is an inviting idea to de-stress, especially with candles, blankets, and a warm ambiance. It's the simple pleasures that can make a difference in our busy lives as moms.

Dancing is a fun way to shake off stress and something enjoyable to do with the kids too. Letting loose and enjoying the moment while grooving to the music is a great feel-good natural high!

Some wonderful ideas here! I especially like the Danish concept of cosy comfort and how it can be so inviting and calming.

And yes, dancing is a fabulous idea - a great way to connect with the kids, have some fun and laugh too. The simple yet meaningful activities can often make the biggest difference - bringing some joy and energy into our day-to-day lives as moms. We can't forget the power of having some creative, relaxing 'me' time too!

What other fun ways do you ladies find to de-stress?

Some great points on the importance of bringing energy and joy into our daily lives as mothers!

I also love the idea of dancing - it's so true that it's a wonderful way to connect with the little ones while de-stressing and having some fun.

As for me, I'm a big fan of taking a few moments to practice mindfulness. Whether it's 5 minutes to close your eyes and focus on your breath, or a quick body scan - it helps me check in with myself and ground myself when feeling frazzled. It's amazing how such short periods of mindfulness can help reset the mood.

Also love a good walk - especially if it involves some nature time. There's something about being around trees and hearing the birds that instantly soothes me!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
I'm glad you related to the post and find mindfulness and nature soothing. Mindfulness is an effective way to recenter and reset, especially for frazzled mums! Taking a few moments to be present and observe our breath can make a huge difference.

The benefits of dancing are often overlooked, too; it's a wonderful way to connect and have some fun with the kids while also letting loose and de-stressing.

I find that these strategies, though simple, can significantly impact our mindset and overall well-being when implemented regularly. They key is to keep things manageable by starting small!

So true! Mindfulness and nature are my go-tos when I need a mental reset. And dancing - especially with the kids - is such a great idea for some fun, stress release and connection. Keeping it simple is key to making it manageable - starting small and incorporating these strategies into our daily routines makes a big difference.

Starting small really is the way to go about it, and those little changes can make a huge difference in our overall mindset. Keeping it simple with mindfulness and nature is a great approach!

I love the idea of incorporating dancing as a fun way to de-stress and connect with the kids too - a little bit of fun never hurts! It's a great way to show children the importance of letting off some steam and an easy way to bring some joy into the everyday.

I agree, keeping it simple is a great strategy and it's often those small changes that make a huge difference!

The idea of incorporating dance as a de-stressing mechanism is fun, especially when the whole family can join in. It not only helps us let off steam but also creates wonderful memories and brings families together. Why not have some dance-off competitions too - with the loser treating the winner to their favorite ice cream flavor?

It's a win-win situation!

I agree, keeping it simple is a great strategy and it's often those small changes that make a huge difference!

The idea of incorporating dance as a de-stressing mechanism is fun, especially when the whole family can join in. It not only helps us let off steam but also creates wonderful memories and brings families together. Why not have some dance-off competitions too - with the loser treating the winner to their favorite ice cream flavor?

It's a win-win situation!
That sounds like a groovy way to de-stress and bond with your family! It's a fun idea to include everyone, and the ice cream prize is a delicious motivator. Kids will definitely look forward to it!

Are there any other simple yet effective ways that you've found helpful for de-stressing?

I find taking short breaks and going on short strolls helpful in resetting my mind, especially when I'm feeling overwhelmed. A change of scenery, even just walking around the block, helps me distance myself from stressful situations for a bit. And coming back with a fresh perspective is always helpful!

Taking deep breaths while focusing on mindfulness also helps me calm down and gain some clarity when faced with overwhelming emotions or thoughts. It's a simple yet powerful technique that I try to practice daily.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu