• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Advice

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well and able to help me with some advice!

I’m at my wit's end as LO is barely sleeping during the day and it’s getting harder to manage each week. I feel so bad because he seems so uncomfortable but I'm unsure what I can do to help him! He fights sleep so hard - sometimes he’ll be rubbing his eyes and yawning but if I put him down for a nap, he'll arch his back and scream as though something is really wrong, poor guy.

I've tried most of the 'standard' tricks: white noise/dark room/pacifier/swaddle etc., but it's not helping our situation much. He sleeps well at night generally so I don’t think it’s a comfort issue and he doesn't seem to be in any pain - just very resistant to sleep during the day! I'm wondering if any of you have had something similar and what worked for you? All suggestions welcome as I’m at my wit's end!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
TVP is a pantry hero, for sure - so many uses! I like to use it to bulk up dishes and add some texture contrast, especially in stews and chillies. Also love it in a meaty pasta sauce - just makes everything feel more hearty and satisfying.

TVP is a miracle worker in terms of stretching meals, especially useful when feeding a crowd on a budget!

I like how you mentioned texture contrast - that's something I strive for as well, especially in dishes that are predominantly soft/mushy and benefit from some bite. Can definitely vouch for its utility in pasta sauces - it's amazing how much more satisfying it makes the dish feel.

Any recommendations for other ingredients to bulk up dishes in a similar way?

TVP is a miracle worker in terms of stretching meals, especially useful when feeding a crowd on a budget!

I like how you mentioned texture contrast - that's something I strive for as well, especially in dishes that are predominantly soft/mushy and benefit from some bite. Can definitely vouch for its utility in pasta sauces - it's amazing how much more satisfying it makes the dish feel.

Any recommendations for other ingredients to bulk up dishes in a similar way?
Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is a genius invention for making meals go further and keeping hunger pangs satisfied.

For a similar meatless option, try incorporating various types of beans or lentils. They're not only nutrient-dense but also a versatile fuss-free way to bulk up meals and create a hearty texture contrast, especially in stews and curries. Think of it as an easy one-pot wonder!

Do you need help with any specific dishes you'd like to prepare for your crowd?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
TVP is a great shout - rehydrated and seasoned, it's an excellent meat substitute!

Beans and lentils are also fantastic; they're inexpensive, widely available, and versatile. Lentil soup, spiced with curry powder and coconut milk, is a delicious and easy one-pot meal. Similarly, you could whip up a hearty stew with mixed beans, or a delicious and creamy bean puree.

What other vegetarian ingredients would you like to use? Some options: mushrooms, eggs, tofu, seitan, or tempeh?

TVP is a great base for a hearty chilli - just add some spices, beans, and tomatoes.

Eggs are also an excellent source of protein and can make a satisfying meal when hard-boiled and served with soldiers, or scrambled and served with toast, which is an easy and inexpensive meal.

Tofu is a versatile ingredient; it can be marinated and used in place of meat in almost any dish - BBQ tofu with some roasted veggies is a firm favourite of mine!

Mushrooms are another meaty option that can be used in sauces or stuffed and baked.

Seitan is one I've not cooked much with, but it's on my list as it has a great protein punch and works well in stir fries. And finally, tempeh - another versatile ingredient that works well crumbled in chilli or spaghetti bolognese.

What dishes do you like to cook? There are so many yummy veggie options!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
TVP is a great base for a hearty chilli - just add some spices, beans, and tomatoes.

Eggs are also an excellent source of protein and can make a satisfying meal when hard-boiled and served with soldiers, or scrambled and served with toast, which is an easy and inexpensive meal.

Tofu is a versatile ingredient; it can be marinated and used in place of meat in almost any dish - BBQ tofu with some roasted veggies is a firm favourite of mine!

Mushrooms are another meaty option that can be used in sauces or stuffed and baked.

Seitan is one I've not cooked much with, but it's on my list as it has a great protein punch and works well in stir fries. And finally, tempeh - another versatile ingredient that works well crumbled in chilli or spaghetti bolognese.

What dishes do you like to cook? There are so many yummy veggie options!
I am a big fan of Asian-inspired vegetarian dishes, especially because they're packed with loads of umami flavors, which is an aspect I really enjoy exploring.

Stir-fried mushrooms and tofu with cashew nuts and a squeeze of lime is one of my go-tos; it's so versatile and easy to whip up, plus the textures are so satisfying. I also love laminated tofu, which is another quick, tasty protein source for a lazy yet delicious weeknight meal. Simply laminate the tofu, fry or bake until crispy, and toss with your favorite spices or sauces - a cheap, delicious, and filling snack!

As for mushrooms, I like them stuffed too. Portobello mushroom caps stuffed with roasted veggies and grilled are so tasty, and a great option for a hearty meatless meal.

I'm also into soups, especially the Asian-style clear broths packed with ingredients like wood ears mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and corn - a comforting meal that's simple yet satisfying. One of my favorites is a creamy carrot and coconut soup; it's sweet, creamy, and a nice change from tomato/starchy base soups.

Oh, and how could I forget curries! A good ol' fashioned vegetarian laksa or a dry chickpea curry with loads of spices, coconut, and veggies is a regular on my meal agenda. There's so many good vegetarian options; you're making me hungry!!

Do you guys have any quick and dirty go-to vegetarian meals? I'm always looking for more variety to entice the tastebuds!

I am a big fan of Asian-inspired vegetarian dishes, especially because they're packed with loads of umami flavors, which is an aspect I really enjoy exploring.

Stir-fried mushrooms and tofu with cashew nuts and a squeeze of lime is one of my go-tos; it's so versatile and easy to whip up, plus the textures are so satisfying. I also love laminated tofu, which is another quick, tasty protein source for a lazy yet delicious weeknight meal. Simply laminate the tofu, fry or bake until crispy, and toss with your favorite spices or sauces - a cheap, delicious, and filling snack!

As for mushrooms, I like them stuffed too. Portobello mushroom caps stuffed with roasted veggies and grilled are so tasty, and a great option for a hearty meatless meal.

I'm also into soups, especially the Asian-style clear broths packed with ingredients like wood ears mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and corn - a comforting meal that's simple yet satisfying. One of my favorites is a creamy carrot and coconut soup; it's sweet, creamy, and a nice change from tomato/starchy base soups.

Oh, and how could I forget curries! A good ol' fashioned vegetarian laksa or a dry chickpea curry with loads of spices, coconut, and veggies is a regular on my meal agenda. There's so many good vegetarian options; you're making me hungry!!

Do you guys have any quick and dirty go-to vegetarian meals? I'm always looking for more variety to entice the tastebuds!
My personal favorite is a lazy person's veg meal - sheet pan roasting! It's essentially throw-and-go, hands-off cooking at its best. Just toss your fave veggies (I like using carbs-filled ones like potatoes and carrots) with some olive oil, salt, and any dried herbs/spices, and roast until tender. My two-year-old also loves it when I serve the veggies with baked tofu poke bowls. Easy peasy and delish!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and wisdom

I'm all about the convenience and flavor of frozen dumplings. Steamed vegetable and pork dumplings straight from the freezer, topped with some fresh spring onion and a splash of soy sauce is a tasty, easy meal when you're short on time or energy.

Another lazy favourite is sheet pan dinners. Pop in some seasoned tofu chunks and veggies like broccoli and carrots tosses in your favourite spices, and let the oven do the work while you chill.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Frozen dumplings are a lifesaver! I also rely on frozen fruits and vegetables sometimes - they're great as a quick and easy side dish or to bulk up a meal. Just steam some broccoli, peas, or mixed veggies and top them with some butter and pepper.

I make sheet pan dinners too, they're such a time saver and usually quite healthy too since it's hard to overcook vegetables. I like adding some chickpeas or tofu for some extra protein and changing up the spices according to what I have lying around - sometimes just some olive oil, salt and pepper is all you need!

What other lazy but tasty meals do folks recommend?

Frozen dumplings are a lifesaver! I also rely on frozen fruits and vegetables sometimes - they're great as a quick and easy side dish or to bulk up a meal. Just steam some broccoli, peas, or mixed veggies and top them with some butter and pepper.

I make sheet pan dinners too, they're such a time saver and usually quite healthy too since it's hard to overcook vegetables. I like adding some chickpeas or tofu for some extra protein and changing up the spices according to what I have lying around - sometimes just some olive oil, salt and pepper is all you need!

What other lazy but tasty meals do folks recommend?
Stir fry is my go-to lazy meal. Quick, easy and usually ingredients are flexible - a bonus for when you're short on grocery runs! Just chuck in whatever veggies you have, some meat or tofu/bean curd if you like, and your choice of sauce: soy sauce, oyster or hoisin work well.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu