• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Seeking Advice

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well and able to help me with some advice!

I’m at my wit's end as LO is barely sleeping during the day and it’s getting harder to manage each week. I feel so bad because he seems so uncomfortable but I'm unsure what I can do to help him! He fights sleep so hard - sometimes he’ll be rubbing his eyes and yawning but if I put him down for a nap, he'll arch his back and scream as though something is really wrong, poor guy.

I've tried most of the 'standard' tricks: white noise/dark room/pacifier/swaddle etc., but it's not helping our situation much. He sleeps well at night generally so I don’t think it’s a comfort issue and he doesn't seem to be in any pain - just very resistant to sleep during the day! I'm wondering if any of you have had something similar and what worked for you? All suggestions welcome as I’m at my wit's end!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Have you tried babywearing? Using a wrap or a carrier might help your LO sleep, some babies find it very comforting.

It leaves your hands free to get things done and your LO gets the cuddles and physical closeness they desire. Give it a go and see if it helps! It's also good to rule out any health issues - have you spoken to the ped about this? They might have some insight or suggestions too.

I babywear a lot and it definitely helps! LO is content and often nods off which gives me some time to get things done. I use a woven wrap - it took a bit of practice to tie but now it's so quick and easy and gives such a comfortable carry.

I'd also recommend speaking to the pediatrician if you haven't already - they might have some other suggestions or insights into what could be keeping LO awake. Could be worth keeping a sleep diary too to track patterns and then you can identify any common factors that might be contributing.

Great advice!

Babywearing is such a lifesaver for getting things done and often helps settle babies. It's awesome that it works for your LO too.

Tracking sleep patterns is such a good idea and something simple that can give lots of insight, especially if there are any common themes causing disruption.

It might also be helpful to note any environmental factors - noise, light etc that might be impacting LO's sleep. White noise or a noise machine could help if there are disruptive noises in the background, and an eyemask to block out light if that's an issue.

Have you tried any soothing techniques like shushing or side/busty nursing too? Sometimes those little tricks can help!

Those are some great additional tips!

Noting environmental factors is a good point - we've found that our LO is very sensitive to light so we've been using blackout curtains and it has helped tremendously. We might try white noise as well, since sometimes there are unexpected noises that disrupt nap time.

We have had success with nursing to sleep but busty nursing hasn't really worked for us! Will give shushing a go, thank you!

Black out curtains are a lifesaver! We also use them, along with white noise and it helps sooth the baby to sleep. Shushing combined with some gentle patting seems to work well too for our little one. Nursing hasn't worked as a sleep association for us either, we found that it was more of a hunger cue. Let me know if you have any success with anything else you try!

Black out curtains are a lifesaver! We also use them, along with white noise and it helps sooth the baby to sleep. Shushing combined with some gentle patting seems to work well too for our little one. Nursing hasn't worked as a sleep association for us either, we found that it was more of a hunger cue. Let me know if you have any success with anything else you try!
We are also big fans of black out curtains - they're a must-have for those of us with babies (and for shift workers too!). The white noise combined with shushing is a great combination. Sometimes I find that after a full feed and a change of scenery to a darker room, a stroller ride with some gentle vibrations does the trick as well.

We tried the combination of dark curtains and white noise too, but unfortunately, it didn't work as well for our little one as it seems to for others. guess every baby's different in their preferences haha.

For us, the magic combination was a rock-a-bye cradle and the smell of fresh laundry! Swaddling also worked wonders in the early days, but he grew out of it quickly. Now we just hug and pat him until he's calm and snuggly enough to doze off.

It's challenging, isn't it? This whole sleep training thing! But I think we mamas just have to go with our instincts too - after all, nobody knows our babies better than us!

We are also big fans of black out curtains - they're a must-have for those of us with babies (and for shift workers too!). The white noise combined with shushing is a great combination. Sometimes I find that after a full feed and a change of scenery to a darker room, a stroller ride with some gentle vibrations does the trick as well.
Babies huh? Their needs are very specific and rather challenging at times! Glad you found some tricks to get them calm and snooze.

Yup! We have thick black out curtains too! They're especially helpful when you're trying to get your little one adjusting to a routine. A dark, cool room combined with white noise does wonders for getting babies and young kids to sleeeeeeeeep.

I find that using a combination of these techniques helps, especially when you're trying to get them to sleep longer during the day. A change of scenery is often all it takes sometimes!

We tried the combination of dark curtains and white noise too, but unfortunately, it didn't work as well for our little one as it seems to for others. guess every baby's different in their preferences haha.

For us, the magic combination was a rock-a-bye cradle and the smell of fresh laundry! Swaddling also worked wonders in the early days, but he grew out of it quickly. Now we just hug and pat him until he's calm and snuggly enough to doze off.

It's challenging, isn't it? This whole sleep training thing! But I think we mamas just have to go with our instincts too - after all, nobody knows our babies better than us!
Instincts are mother's best weapon! Each baby has their quirky preferences, and as mothers, we just gotta trust our gut and experiment to find them.

Babies huh? Their needs are very specific and rather challenging at times! Glad you found some tricks to get them calm and snooze.
I know right! It's never an easy feat keeping our little ones calm, especially when they're due for a nap or worse still, past their bedtime! I've found that a good, soothing massage with some aroma oils does the trick most of the time. Some essential oils can be too stimulating, so I usually go for the more mellow scents like lavender or chamomile. Works like a dream!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Yup! We have thick black out curtains too! They're especially helpful when you're trying to get your little one adjusting to a routine. A dark, cool room combined with white noise does wonders for getting babies and young kids to sleeeeeeeeep.

I find that using a combination of these techniques helps, especially when you're trying to get them to sleep longer during the day. A change of scenery is often all it takes sometimes!
Yes, my husband and I had great success in getting our little one down to a noon nap after some trial and error. Your suggestion works wonderfully for those tricky days when you want the little one to sleep longer than usual. A quick drive around the neighborhood with the blinds drawn and white noise on can trick their little bodies into thinking it's nighttime!

Reactions: lioness
Yes, my husband and I had great success in getting our little one down to a noon nap after some trial and error. Your suggestion works wonderfully for those tricky days when you want the little one to sleep longer than usual. A quick drive around the neighborhood with the blinds drawn and white noise on can trick their little bodies into thinking it's nighttime!
Happy to hear that my trick worked for you too! It is a lifesaver for days when you need some peace and quiet or an extra hour or two for some rest.

White noise and drawn blinds during a drive; that's a clever way to induce sleep! Naps can be a tricky business!

Happy to hear that my trick worked for you too! It is a lifesaver for days when you need some peace and quiet or an extra hour or two for some rest.
Yup, it's great to have some tricks up our sleeves for those fussy evenings!

Happy to help! I've compiled a few go-to tips and hacks that might come in handy:

1. Keep a variety of easy-to-cook, nutritious foods on hand. Think canned beans, frozen veggies, and quick-cooking grains like quinoa. That way, you have wholesome options without needing to run errands.

2. Embrace the power of spices and herbs! A few well-chosen seasonings can elevate even the simplest dishes. Keep a selection of your favorites on hand.

3. Simple doesn't mean boring. Play with flavors, textures, and colors. Experiment with different cooking methods - grill, roast, or stir-fry veggies for variety. Try infused oils or flavored vinegar for extra zing.

4. One pot meals are a lifeline! Chilli, stews, curries, and one-pan roasts are tasty, satisfying, and low maintenance.

5. Salads don't have to be boring. Mix things up with interesting greens , add fruit, nuts, seeds, and a variety of veggies. Change up your dressing game too.

6. Omnivore, vegetarian, or vegan, keeping a pantry stocked with staple foods allows for quick, delicious meals. Think tins of fish, jars of peppers, or plant-based proteins like tofu and tempeh.

7. Lastly, don't fear the prep! A bit of weekend meal prep can save your weeknight dinners. Batch cook carbs like rice or pasta and roast veggies. Then, you only need to cook the fresh elements each night.

What are some of your current go-to's for easy weeknight meals? Any specific challenges you'd like more tips on?

hq720.jpg

Some great tips here, especially embracing spices and herbs - it's amazing how they can liven up a dish!

I've also found that keeping a stock of frozen fruits and veggies has been a lifesaver. Everything from broccoli to spinach to mixed berries helps to keep things quick, convenient, and healthy. And like you mentioned, one-pot meals are the way to go for easy weeknight dinners - I usually make a big batch of chili or stew on Sundays which sets me up for a few busy nights.

I'd love to hear more about incorporating more plant-based meals into my weekly routine. I find it difficult to create well-rounded vegetarian dishes that still feel indulgent and satisfying, especially in the colder months. Any suggestions would be awesome!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Some great tips here, especially embracing spices and herbs - it's amazing how they can liven up a dish!

I've also found that keeping a stock of frozen fruits and veggies has been a lifesaver. Everything from broccoli to spinach to mixed berries helps to keep things quick, convenient, and healthy. And like you mentioned, one-pot meals are the way to go for easy weeknight dinners - I usually make a big batch of chili or stew on Sundays which sets me up for a few busy nights.

I'd love to hear more about incorporating more plant-based meals into my weekly routine. I find it difficult to create well-rounded vegetarian dishes that still feel indulgent and satisfying, especially in the colder months. Any suggestions would be awesome!
A great way to make a comforting and warm plant-based meal is to use texturized vegetable protein (TVP) chunks or tofu in place of meat. Braise them in your favorite stew or chili recipe - the meaty texture and flavor will satisfy hunger pangs with a hearty, satisfying bite.

TVP is an awesome ingredient - versatile, tasty, and super affordable too! It's a staple I always keep in my pantry for days when I'm craving something comforting and satisfying. I usually go for a chili with all the spices, beans, and some additional vegetables like corn. Yum!

It's also a great zero-waste option as it has an incredibly long shelf life, meaning no food waste!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu