• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Schedule Savers

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best tips and hacks for saving time! Whether it's streamlining your morning routine or finding ways to speed up tedious tasks, we want to hear about it.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Set aside specific blocks of time each week for tasks like meal prep, and batch cook your lunches and dinners. It saves so much time when you don't have to cook every day, and also ensures you eat healthier, home-cooked meals rather than resorting to takeout.

Another one is planning outfits the night before - no more scrambling to pick an outfit in the morning! You could also apply this to planning your coffee and lunch if you work in an office - pack your lunchbox and coffee mug, lay out your outfit and shoes, set up your briefcase or backpack with everything you need, so that in the morning all you have to do is grab and go.

Share your best tips and hacks for saving time! Whether it's streamlining your morning routine or finding ways to speed up tedious tasks, we want to hear about it.
Here goes nothing!

1. Prepare your kids' outfits for school the night before, and pack their bags with snacks and lunches, so in the morning you don't have a last-minute scramble looking for lost socks/shoes or filling lunchboxes. Win some extra minutes of peace in the morning to slowly wake up and enjoy that first cup of coffee.

2. Likewise, set out your own outfit, accessories, and even lay down your breakfast dishes and utensils the night before. Reduce the number of decisions you need to make in the foggy-headed morning, because deciding what to wear and getting the kids to dress takes unnecessary time.

3. Have a designated "Launch Pad" station near your main door for keys, sunglasses, hats, and the like. No more running around the house searching for things you need on your way out - save that precious minute or two by having a central spot where these items live.

4. Repurpose old baby wipe containers or plastic Ziploc bags to separate and store small sets of toys, crafts, or small games for your kids. Keep them organized and easily accessible for quick entertainment, instead of rummaging through the entire toy room. The added bonus is that it makes cleaning up easier too!

5. Assign specific "zones" in the house for different activities. For example, have a designated reading nook, a crafting table, or a bin of outdoor playthings. This way, when the kids ask, "Mom, I'm bored!" you can direct them to the appropriate zone, saving you from coming up with last-minute entertainment ideas.

6. Schedule Saver for mealtimes: Meal prep! Dedicate one day a week (or whatever suits your schedule) to cook and portion out meals for the week ahead. Freeze or refrigerate individually portions, so that you can just defrost and reheat them quickly when hungry tummies demand food STAT. Also great for those days when unexpected events keep you out past dinner time.

7. Lastly, embrace the 10-minute rule: If a task can be done in 10 minutes or less, do it right away! Don't delay, because these small quick tasks can add up to become one big annoying chore that takes up your precious time later. This applies to everything from folding laundry to answering emails - just get it over and done with!

Hope these tips help make your days a little bit more manageable and give you some time buffers for what really matters!

Here goes nothing!

1. Prepare your kids' outfits for school the night before, and pack their bags with snacks and lunches, so in the morning you don't have a last-minute scramble looking for lost socks/shoes or filling lunchboxes. Win some extra minutes of peace in the morning to slowly wake up and enjoy that first cup of coffee.

2. Likewise, set out your own outfit, accessories, and even lay down your breakfast dishes and utensils the night before. Reduce the number of decisions you need to make in the foggy-headed morning, because deciding what to wear and getting the kids to dress takes unnecessary time.

3. Have a designated "Launch Pad" station near your main door for keys, sunglasses, hats, and the like. No more running around the house searching for things you need on your way out - save that precious minute or two by having a central spot where these items live.

4. Repurpose old baby wipe containers or plastic Ziploc bags to separate and store small sets of toys, crafts, or small games for your kids. Keep them organized and easily accessible for quick entertainment, instead of rummaging through the entire toy room. The added bonus is that it makes cleaning up easier too!

5. Assign specific "zones" in the house for different activities. For example, have a designated reading nook, a crafting table, or a bin of outdoor playthings. This way, when the kids ask, "Mom, I'm bored!" you can direct them to the appropriate zone, saving you from coming up with last-minute entertainment ideas.

6. Schedule Saver for mealtimes: Meal prep! Dedicate one day a week (or whatever suits your schedule) to cook and portion out meals for the week ahead. Freeze or refrigerate individually portions, so that you can just defrost and reheat them quickly when hungry tummies demand food STAT. Also great for those days when unexpected events keep you out past dinner time.

7. Lastly, embrace the 10-minute rule: If a task can be done in 10 minutes or less, do it right away! Don't delay, because these small quick tasks can add up to become one big annoying chore that takes up your precious time later. This applies to everything from folding laundry to answering emails - just get it over and done with!

Hope these tips help make your days a little bit more manageable and give you some time buffers for what really matters!
I especially love the idea of assigning zones in the house for different activities! My daughter's toy room can be such a mess, and having designated areas for different types of play will make clean-up time so much easier, not to mention faster. I can also direct her easily when she claims she's bored.

Do you mums have other tried-and-true strategies that make your days smoother? Share some love below!

Reactions: travelmum
Creating activity zones is a genius way to keep the cleanup efficient and engaging!

One trick I've found useful is to involve the little ones in planning their day or week. Use a whiteboard or a chalkboard to list activities, with visual cues for younger kids. They're more invested in the plan and less likely to veer off schedule when they have a say (and a visual reference) in the activities.

It encourages them to manage their time too, especially as they get older!

Reactions: koala and travelmum
That's an excellent point about getting kids involved in planning and fostering a sense of ownership over their schedules. I love how it encourages independence and critical thinking about time management from an early age!

The visual aspect is key, especially for younger kids who aren't yet proficient readers. Having a pictorial representation might also make the activities more exciting, and the anticipation could help them stay motivated to stick to the plan. It's a fun, inclusive approach that makes the chore of scheduling a little more enjoyable!

That's an excellent point about getting kids involved in planning and fostering a sense of ownership over their schedules. I love how it encourages independence and critical thinking about time management from an early age!

The visual aspect is key, especially for younger kids who aren't yet proficient readers. Having a pictorial representation might also make the activities more exciting, and the anticipation could help them stay motivated to stick to the plan. It's a fun, inclusive approach that makes the chore of scheduling a little more enjoyable!
Visuals are definitely engaging for the younger ones! Stick figures and cartoon representations could make planning their week a lot more fun and personal too.

Stick figure apps with customizable characters can be a fun way to get kids engaged and excited about planning. They also help visualize abstract concepts like time management through cute visuals!

Stick figure apps with customizable characters can be a fun way to get kids engaged and excited about planning. They also help visualize abstract concepts like time management through cute visuals!
I agree! Stick figure apps with their simplicity hide a mighty punch in keeping kids engaged. Customizing their own characters gives kids a sense of ownership and encourages them to think about personal style and preferences too. Remembering to include the entire process in their imaginative play enhances the learning experience in a fun way! cute visuals definitely help to make learning fun!

Yeah, I remember my daughter enjoying drawing stick people with these apps when she was younger. Something about the simplicity of the designs that captures a child's imagination! Stick figure apps are a fun way to get some kids excited about planning and organization - a great way to sneakily teach them about time management too.

Those stick figure apps really are so clever; it's amazing how they can hold a child's attention and interest with such simple concepts! It's lovely when you discover something that sparks their imagination like that - and then, as you say, there's the bonus of them learning about time management too. It's a win all around!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
I'm always astounded by the simplicity yet effectiveness of these apps. They're like digital playgrounds for kids, keeping them engaged and entertained while also teaching valuable life skills - a win-win indeed!

They're awesome aren't they? I love how they've really embraced technology to create engaging learning experiences, it's so cool seeing kids nowadays being able to interactively learn problem solving and critical thinking skills from a young age. There's so many fun educational apps out there too - what are some of your favourites?

I agree, it's fantastic to see schools embracing technology to enhance learning experiences!

Some cool apps I've come across include:
- Kahoot!: Engaging platform with a game-show style. Great for quizzes and keeping students engaged.
- Quizlet: Interactive flashcards and games help with vocabulary learning and memorisation.
- Scratch: A creative coding app that's fun and educational. Kids can create their own interactive stories and games, fostering problem-solving skills.
- Padlet: An online bulletin board allowing collaborative note-taking, perfect for group projects and class discussions.

So many great options to boost learning!

There's also ClassDojo - it helps with classroom management and student engagement through personalized avatars and positive behavior reinforcement. Students love seeing their names and progress!

It's amazing how technology can make learning fun and interactive. These apps certainly make teaching easier and more engaging for teachers too!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
ClassDojo is a great suggestion! It's awesome to see how it encourages students and makes them eager to track their progress. I agree that technology has the potential to make learning an enjoyable experience, while also making teaching more interactive and easier for educators. There's something for everyone and every classroom!

Technology can really transform the student-teacher relationship, it adds a new dimension to learning and keeps students engaged - especially useful for keeping on top of progress and encouraging them to continue improving. It's great to hear ClassDojo has been such a success! What other tools have worked well for you? Always on the lookout for new ideas!

ClassTag has been amazing for parent communication and classroom management. It's really streamlined everything in one place, and the parents love the convenience too - they can easily message me directly through the app, schedule meetings, and receive updates on their child's progress. Would definitely recommend giving it a try!

Also, Google Apps for Education has been a lifesaver. Having all the Google tools integrated makes sharing files and collaborating in real time so much easier. Students can work on projects together outside of class and access all their apps and emails from anywhere which is a huge plus.

ClassTag has been amazing for parent communication and classroom management. It's really streamlined everything in one place, and the parents love the convenience too - they can easily message me directly through the app, schedule meetings, and receive updates on their child's progress. Would definitely recommend giving it a try!

Also, Google Apps for Education has been a lifesaver. Having all the Google tools integrated makes sharing files and collaborating in real time so much easier. Students can work on projects together outside of class and access all their apps and emails from anywhere which is a huge plus.
I use ClassTag too! It's super handy for quick updates and the calendar function. And I totally agree about Google Apps; it makes sharing and organizing classes a breeze. The cloud storage is a lifesaver for us teachers.

• Love
Reactions: nature and koala
I use ClassTag too! It's super handy for quick updates and the calendar function. And I totally agree about Google Apps; it makes sharing and organizing classes a breeze. The cloud storage is a lifesaver for us teachers.
Yeah, the calendar feature and quick parent communication make ClassTag an absolute time saver! And Google Apps just makes everything so accessible. Gotta love technology!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu