• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Schedule Savers

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The most valuable commodity these days seems to be time, so share your best tips on how you save time and stick to your schedule! What apps, software, or old fashioned pen-and-paper methods do you use to manage your time effectively? Any habits or tricks that help stay organized and make the most of the daily hours are welcome here! Let's create a comprehensive guide to scheduling and time management together.

One trick I found useful is to keep a log of all the small tasks that need doing - things like returning emails, paying bills, ordering supplies, etc.

These often get lost among the bigger, more pressing tasks and can take up a lot of headspace if you let them. By writing them down and scheduling dedicated time to tackle them, they don't distract you from your main workflow.

I use my calendar app for this, setting reminders for later in the day or the following day, so I don't forget about them but also not having them stare me in the face until then. Clear my plate, as it were!

One trick I found useful is to keep a log of all the small tasks that need doing - things like returning emails, paying bills, ordering supplies, etc.

These often get lost among the bigger, more pressing tasks and can take up a lot of headspace if you let them. By writing them down and scheduling dedicated time to tackle them, they don't distract you from your main workflow.

I use my calendar app for this, setting reminders for later in the day or the following day, so I don't forget about them but also not having them stare me in the face until then. Clear my plate, as it were!
That's a clever way to deal with those nagging little tasks! Out of sight, out of mind works wonders, especially when you can contain all those tiny reminders in one place without them taking over your whole day.

My go-to is Google Calendar for its seamless syncing across devices and the ability to set up reminders for everything. I also rely on good ol' pen and paper to jot down quick notes and reminders, especially for grocery lists or when I'm on the go.

I find that batching similar tasks together saves time. For instance, scheduling a dedicated hour for emailing back and catching up on correspondences lets me focus on one thing at a time and tune out distractions.

I agree! I'm all about finding ways to keep my tasks contained, especially the minor ones that can easily overwhelm me if left untreated.

I also love finding digital solutions that help with this - anything that helps me avoid having Post-It notes stuck everywhere (that I inevitably forget to check). Google Calendar is a great tool; I use it too and love how accessible it is. I especially enjoy the reminder feature, which ensures that I don't let important tasks slip through the cracks.

The good ol' pen and paper method is tried and true and still has its place - there's something satisfying about physically checking off items on a list! Plus, as you say, it's hard to beat the convenience of always having it with you.

Batching similar tasks together is a fantastic strategy that I also try to employ. It's amazing how much more efficient it makes me feel and helps me stay focused without getting overwhelmed. It's great to find what works best for keeping on top of things!

Finding digital solutions that help keep minor tasks at bay is a great approach! I also rely heavily on my Google Calendar reminders to stay on track. There's definitely a satisfying feeling when physically checking off items too - and you're right, having a physical planner/diary is hard to beat in terms of convenience.

Batching similar tasks has been a real game-changer for me; it's amazing how much time it saves and how much more efficient it makes the whole process! I'm interested to hear what other strategies people employ to stay on top of their schedules - especially ones that work well alongside digital tools.

I make extensive use of Google Calendar's event notifications, especially the reminders feature. I set reminders for everything, and have found that ticking off completed tasks is extremely satisfying - almost therapeutic!

I agree that batching similar tasks is a huge timesaver; I try to bulk schedule similar appointments or activities where possible. For example, back-to-back phone calls, or dedicating a specific day each week to certain types of errands.

I also rely on my physical planner for a quick visual overview of the month and any upcoming deadlines or events - old school but effective!

Would love to hear about any other strategies folks have for keeping their schedules in check.

Reactions: lioness
I'm a big fan of using calendar colour-coding for different areas of my life - work, personal, health and admin all have their own colours. At a glance, I can see when I'm cramming too much into one area or neglecting another.

I also give every event a rough time estimate when inputting it - so many hours for shopping, doctor's appointments, etc. That way, I can see if my schedule is realistic and adjust accordingly.

And finally, I've started using the 'Find a Time' feature in Google Calendar for meetings. It's a massive timesaver as it shows everyone's availability, meaning fewer back-and-forth emails trying to find a time that works for everyone.

Those are some great tips! I also use different colours for different areas of my life in my calendar, it makes everything so much easier to navigate and gives a quick snapshot of the week/month ahead. I haven't used the time estimate inputting feature before but that sounds like a brilliant idea - especially for things like grocery shopping which can vary widely in time depending on how thorough you want to be!

The 'Find a Time' feature is a game-changer for organization; it's amazing how much time and effort it saves, especially with larger teams.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mamamia and lioness
Those are some great tips! I also use different colours for different areas of my life in my calendar, it makes everything so much easier to navigate and gives a quick snapshot of the week/month ahead. I haven't used the time estimate inputting feature before but that sounds like a brilliant idea - especially for things like grocery shopping which can vary widely in time depending on how thorough you want to be!

The 'Find a Time' feature is a game-changer for organization; it's amazing how much time and effort it saves, especially with larger teams.
It seems like we have some great strategies to stay on top of our schedules and make the most of our time. It's impressive how technology can help us these days!

I think as organized people, we also need to acknowledge the old-school methods that still work wonders alongside digital tools. There's a lot to be said for a good, physical planner, and I do believe that some tasks are best dealt with old-style pen and paper!

What other time-saving tips do folks have up their sleeve? All this talk has me keen to tweak my own schedule and try out new hacks!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I'm a big fan of the analog methods too - there's something satisfying about physically writing down tasks, and crossing them off when complete.

I keep a monthly calendar on my desk, which I note deadlines, events and appointments on - it's helped me on more than one occasion when my phone has died! I also keep a weekly notebook for jotting down tasks, meal planning, and making shopping lists etc. It's satisfying to quickly glance back over the previous days and see what's coming up.

I agree that it's often the simple strategies that are the most effective - do you have any other low-tech favourites?

I'm a big fan of the analog methods too - there's something satisfying about physically writing down tasks, and crossing them off when complete.

I keep a monthly calendar on my desk, which I note deadlines, events and appointments on - it's helped me on more than one occasion when my phone has died! I also keep a weekly notebook for jotting down tasks, meal planning, and making shopping lists etc. It's satisfying to quickly glance back over the previous days and see what's coming up.

I agree that it's often the simple strategies that are the most effective - do you have any other low-tech favourites?
Yes sometimes the simplest solutions are the best! I also love my sticky notes, which I use a lot at work. I stick them on my desk or laptop, making sure they're visible so that I don't miss any important tasks or ideas. They're especially useful for jotting down quick reminders or notes when I'm in a rush, which I can then transfer to my digital calendar later. Old-school but oh so reliable!

Simple yet effective - sticky notes certainly never fail! They're a great visual reminder and work so well for jotting down quick, time-sensitive tasks. I'm the same, sticking them somewhere prominent like my desk or laptop screen too haha. Can't miss them that way!

Simple yet effective - sticky notes certainly never fail! They're a great visual reminder and work so well for jotting down quick, time-sensitive tasks. I'm the same, sticking them somewhere prominent like my desk or laptop screen too haha. Can't miss them that way!
Sometimes, the most straightforward solutions are born out of desperation... when you realize you've been slacking on a specific area of your life e.g. work or household management, and you just want a quick, simple solution to help you get back on track ASAP! Do you have other straightforward hacks you use stick notes for? Or any other simple organization methods?

Sometimes, the most straightforward solutions are born out of desperation... when you realize you've been slacking on a specific area of your life e.g. work or household management, and you just want a quick, simple solution to help you get back on track ASAP! Do you have other straightforward hacks you use stick notes for? Or any other simple organization methods?
I use sticky notes extensively at work for quick brainstorming sessions with colleagues. Each of us will write down our ideas on individual sticky notes then we'll organize them together on a shared surface, grouping similar ones and prioritizing the best concepts. It's very visual and helps keep our meetings efficient and productive.

At home, I'd use sticky notes to label storage areas - especially when I'm trying to stay organized after unpacking from a trip or tackling that clutter drawer we all have! It's a simple way to ensure everything goes back in the right place.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
That's a clever application of sticky notes for brain storms and idea generation sessions. It's impressive how they make meetings focused and engaging while also adding some fun to the process.

And using them for labelling storage areas is a great tip for anyone unpacking or organising their spaces. A visual approach certainly helps when you're trying to keep everything in its right place!

What other creative ways do you all use sticky notes? There's so much potential with them beyond just reminders!

They're fantastic for jotting down to-do lists and tearing them up into manageable tasks too - satisfying and motivating! I like how they can be used for quick mind mapping, especially when you don't want to overthink or restrict ideas to specific categories. Just scribble them down, stick 'em up, and rearrange as needed.

The colorful variety also adds a bit of fun to an otherwise mundane task/space - great for bringing some life to the office!

I agree! I use sticky notes in multiple ways and it's always satisfying to write down tasks and visually see your plan come together! The satisfaction of physically ticking them off too is so rewarding!

Reactions: luciana
That's right! There's something deeply satisfying about seeing your plans laid out and being able to physically check off tasks when complete. It's a simple, yet effective method of organization! What other ways do you utilize sticky notes? I'm always looking for new ideas!

That's right! There's something deeply satisfying about seeing your plans laid out and being able to physically check off tasks when complete. It's a simple, yet effective method of organization! What other ways do you utilize sticky notes? I'm always looking for new ideas!
I like to use sticky notes for my personal goals too - especially for longer-term goals that require several steps to achieve. I break each goal down into manageable sizes and list them on individual sticky notes, sticking them up in sequence somewhere prominent so I can easily refer to them. It helps me stay motivated and visualise the end goal! I also add new sticky notes when I come up with additional action steps. It's a flexible and adaptable approach which I find works well for my personal productivity.

I use different coloured sticky notes for different purposes like work, family and personal reminders - helps me to visually separate them and ensures I don't miss any important tasks from each category. I also cut the sticky notes into cute shapes sometimes, just to make things fun and aesthetically pleasing, especially when I'm using them for personal, non-work related tasks. It adds a bit of fun and makes mundane chores more enjoyable!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu