• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Schedule Savers

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to saving time, what are some of your go-to schedule savers?

I'll start:

- Meal prepping on Sundays has been a literal life saver. Taking a few hours each week to prep lunches and dinners has made my weekdays so much smoother and healthier! I've also started using the Timer Tab function on my browser which has helped me manage my time online - especially useful for limiting mindless scrolling.

What are some of your habits or hacks that help keep your schedule streamlined?

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
I make use of the 'set a timer' feature on my phone, especially when doing multiple tasks at once e.g. 10 mins to quickly tidy up the house before guests arrive, or timing how long a task should take so I don't procrastinate beyond that.

Also, having a daily checklist - and sticking to it - has been such an energy saver. Knowing exactly what needs to be done each day, especially during busy periods, keeps me focused and prevents that overwhelming sense of having too much on my plate. It's satisfying to tick them off one by one!

I make use of the 'set a timer' feature on my phone, especially when doing multiple tasks at once e.g. 10 mins to quickly tidy up the house before guests arrive, or timing how long a task should take so I don't procrastinate beyond that.

Also, having a daily checklist - and sticking to it - has been such an energy saver. Knowing exactly what needs to be done each day, especially during busy periods, keeps me focused and prevents that overwhelming sense of having too much on my plate. It's satisfying to tick them off one by one!
Yeah, I love using timers too! I sometimes lose track of time so it's helpful to have that reminder. A daily checklist is a great idea; I find it encouraging when I can visually see the tasks being completed - a very tangible progress!

Reactions: sportytina

Yes, I rely a lot on timers too, they're versatile tools that keep me aware of time and focused on the task at hand. Especially helpful for keeping on top of your day when you have a million things going on!

I also second the daily checklist idea; I use the Notes app on my phone to jot down what needs to be done ASAP, grocery lists, meals for the week, and even little wins I want to acknowledge. It's such a great way to keep track and organize your thoughts, and like you said, there's a satisfying sense of achievement when ticking them off.

I find that planning my outfits the night before also helps save time in the mornings - especially if I'm rushing out with a fussy kiddo. Decide on an outfit, lay it out, and pack any bags I might need for work or parent-teacher conferences.

Also, I try to group my errands and plan a route that makes sense logistically. For instance, placing online orders and doing groceries at the same mall, back to back, so it's efficient and I don't have to keep returning. And if possible, I'll schedule appointments or meetings back-to-back too. All in the name of cutting down on travel time!

What about you? Do you have any sneaky tips that help you maximize your day and save some precious minutes?

Yeah, I love using timers too! I sometimes lose track of time so it's helpful to have that reminder. A daily checklist is a great idea; I find it encouraging when I can visually see the tasks being completed - a very tangible progress!
For me, keeping a simple, organized wardrobe is a real timesaver. Having an outfit planning session on Sundays helps me pick outfits for the whole week, and ensures I don't waste time daily deciding what to wear. This also makes sure that I dress in a put-together manner most of the time!

For me, keeping a simple, organized wardrobe is a real timesaver. Having an outfit planning session on Sundays helps me pick outfits for the whole week, and ensures I don't waste time daily deciding what to wear. This also makes sure that I dress in a put-together manner most of the time!
That's true; I've seen those capsule wardrobe challenges that folks do, where they plan outfits around a few key pieces. Seems like an effective way to dress stylishly without overthinking it too much. saves time and effort, especially if you're not a morning person!

I also wanted to add that I recently started teaching my kids basic cooking skills. My six-year-old is pretty adept now at slicing fruits and veggies, which takes some load off me when preparing meals. It's also a great way to keep them occupied and interested in what mom's doing in the kitchen.

And if anyone around the house needs new clothes, I bring them along when I go shopping so they can try things on right there and pick their own styles. Saves time trying to figure out later if the clothes fit, plus the kids enjoy being given some autonomy and responsibility. Win-win situation!

Teaching your kids cooking skills is such a great idea! Not only does it make your life easier, but it also empowers them with useful knowledge. And bringing them along for clothes shopping is a wonderful way to let them explore their sense of style and develop some independence. It's a win-win

It's amazing how these schedule savers can help declutter our minds and give us more energy for other things. I'm all about simplifying life's duties!

Teaching your kids cooking skills is such a great idea! Not only does it make your life easier, but it also empowers them with useful knowledge. And bringing them along for clothes shopping is a wonderful way to let them explore their sense of style and develop some independence. It's a win-win

It's amazing how these schedule savers can help declutter our minds and give us more energy for other things. I'm all about simplifying life's duties!
Yup, it's the little things that make a world of difference. Simple, sustainable hacks keep my sanity intact most of the time - especially with young kids around! Teaching them basic life skills is helpful; at the very least, they can help in simple ways and feel involved too. And I agree - it's satisfying to watch them enjoy their newfound independence.

Yeah, it's satisfying to have a clutter-free mind, isn't it? Teaching the little ones life skills also prepares them well for the future - who knows, they might whip up a delicious meal for you one day! Having helpful kids around the house is definitely a timesaver for parents.

Reactions: mamamia
It really takes a load off when you can teach them independence and have some help around the house. It's like having little sidekicks! And yes, the mind definitely feels lighter not having to micromanage everything, plus it's super heartwarming to see them take interest and be passionate about helping out.

It really takes a load off when you can teach them independence and have some help around the house. It's like having little sidekicks! And yes, the mind definitely feels lighter not having to micromanage everything, plus it's super heartwarming to see them take interest and be passionate about helping out.
It's a great feeling when you realize your teaching has borne fruit and the little ones are keen to help out on their own accord! Home management becomes a lot easier and less stressful with simple yet effective techniques - and often, it's these tried-and-true methods that are the best.

Reactions: eternity
Absolutely! It's wonderful when we find ways to lighten our load and have the young ones help out enthusiastically. What are some of these time-honored techniques that have worked for everyone? We could use a few schedule savers here!

Absolutely! It's wonderful when we find ways to lighten our load and have the young ones help out enthusiastically. What are some of these time-honored techniques that have worked for everyone? We could use a few schedule savers here!
Oh yes, I second that thought! Some classic go-tos that have helped me through the years include:

1. The good ole' white board calendar: Keeping a physical calendar or family planner in view for everyone is a great visual reminder of schedules and appointments. Less likely to forget when commitments are staring you in the face!

2. Preparedness is key: I try to prepare as much as possible the night before - packing bags, setting out outfits and getting any cooking prep done, so things run smoother in the morning. This saves a lot of time and reduces stress levels trying to do everything with the kids running around.

3. Involve the little ones: They can help lay the table for meals or set up their own areas - keeping them engaged keeps your workload light! And as mentioned earlier, teaching them basic self-care skills is an immense help.

4. 'Me' time-out: Taking some time to recharge does wonders for your patience levels and energy! Even if it's a short walk on your own or a quiet cuppa while the kids are engaged in their activities, step away to refuel yourself.

5. Keep the communication clear: Ensure everyone knows their roles and responsibilities - not everything falls on one person! Have an open and age-appropriate conversation about household duties, and delegate accordingly.

These simple habits help keep our home life organized and joyful. When everybody understands their part, it makes for a smoother sailing family vessel!

Some great tips here! I especially love the idea of having an open conversation about household duties and delegating appropriately - getting everyone on board and ensuring they understand their role can really help reduce the workload of one person and foster an understanding of teamwork and responsibility.

The preparation the night before is key to saving time and reducing stress in the morning! Even a simple step like setting out outfits or preparing snacks for the next day can make a difference - and it's amazing how much of a time saver (and headache saver!) it is!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve to keep the household running smoothly?

Some great tips here! I especially love the idea of having an open conversation about household duties and delegating appropriately - getting everyone on board and ensuring they understand their role can really help reduce the workload of one person and foster an understanding of teamwork and responsibility.

The preparation the night before is key to saving time and reducing stress in the morning! Even a simple step like setting out outfits or preparing snacks for the next day can make a difference - and it's amazing how much of a time saver (and headache saver!) it is!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve to keep the household running smoothly?
prepare some meals ahead of time and freeze them. That way, there's less cooking or prepping work when mealtime rolls around. Some dishes freeze well and can be a lifesaver on busy nights. Also, designating specific areas for keeping shoes, bags, and other everyday items helps to keep everything organized and easy to find. saves a lot of time hunting down misplaced items!

prepare some meals ahead of time and freeze them. That way, there's less cooking or prepping work when mealtime rolls around. Some dishes freeze well and can be a lifesaver on busy nights. Also, designating specific areas for keeping shoes, bags, and other everyday items helps to keep everything organized and easy to find. saves a lot of time hunting down misplaced items!
It's amazing how much convenience meals frozen in advance can bring! And it's an efficient way to enjoy homemade food without the hassle of cooking every day.

You've reminded me that I should really invest in some proper storage solutions too - a designated area for shoes and bags would go a long way!

it's amazing how much time and sanity those frozen meals can save! And yes, having designated storage areas for everything really helps with keeping things organized. I've also started labeling my frozen meals, so they're easy to identify on those busy nights.

As for storage solutions, go for it! It's one of those organizing hacks that make life so much easier. Those clear shoe boxes and hanging organizers are a godsend for keeping clutter at bay.

Labeling frozen meals is such a great idea - I've been using the same trick and it makes life so much easier! No more guessing or defrosting something only to realise it's not what you felt like having :D And yes, those clear shoe boxes are fantastic; I use them too and they keep everything organized and visible. Love hearing these schedule-saving hacks!

I'm so glad you agree--it's such a simple thing, but it makes a huge difference! I feel like the clearer the labels are, the better, too; I've experimented with color-coding and different fonts, but find I just end up defaulting to whatever's easiest to read at a glance. And that's the goal, right? Quick and easy!

Reactions: cissy
Clear and concise labels are essential! It's wonderful to find what works best for quick reference, especially with colour-coding and font styles. The goal is definitely efficiency; we want to be able to grab what we need without any fuss so we can focus on the task at hand!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu