• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Routines for Rest

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several users shared their pre-bedtime sleep rituals online. Doctormama starts with a hot bath and follows a very specific routine that includes stretching, drinking herbal tea, listening to sleepytime music and journaling. This thoughtful and intentional practice helps her relax and wind down. Users musical, wisdom, bookworm and nature also talked about how reading before bed helps them ease into sleep, with several of them preferring fluffy, feel-good novels as a way of distracting their minds from the day's stresses.

Some others have a simpler approach. User musical keeps things comfortable with quick dinner prep and soft lighting, while also using a white noise machine to block out distractions. Queenie also mentioned a brief dinner and subtle lighting adjustments for a calm atmosphere. Greenfingers and stargazer agreed that a good novel before bed is a lovely way to relax into sleep, aiding in peaceful dreaming. Chickadee, bananarama and melissa.koh also spoke about getting lost in the comfort of fictional stories at bedtime, creating a lovely transition into dreamland. Users seemed to agree that finding what works best for each individual is crucial to establishing a successful sleep routine, and that the little rituals make all the difference in setting a peaceful tone for the night.

Creating a calming bedtime routine can help us immensely with our rest quality. What are some of your pre-sleep rituals?

I'll go first! As an insomniac, I've had to create a very specific 1:1 ratio of activities to wind down. My rituals include:

1. A hot bath or shower; the temperature rise and then drop helps relax my muscles.
2. I light some lavender essential oil candles - the smell is soothing, and the act of lighting them feels like an official start to the winding-down process.
3. I do some stretches and drink a cup of herbal tea - chamomile or mint are my go-tos.
4. I put on sleepytime music - currently loving the album "Weightless" by Marconi Union - designed to relax and slow down your mind.
5. Then I write in my journal, reflecting on the day and any thoughts racing through my mind, which helps me clear my mind and make peace with the past 24 hours.

It's taken me a while to find these rituals that work, but they've drastically improved my sleep quality! Now, I'm keen to hear your relaxing pre-sleep routines - any unusual or especially effective ones out there?

Creating a calming bedtime routine can help us immensely with our rest quality. What are some of your pre-sleep rituals?

I'll go first! As an insomniac, I've had to create a very specific 1:1 ratio of activities to wind down. My rituals include:

1. A hot bath or shower; the temperature rise and then drop helps relax my muscles.
2. I light some lavender essential oil candles - the smell is soothing, and the act of lighting them feels like an official start to the winding-down process.
3. I do some stretches and drink a cup of herbal tea - chamomile or mint are my go-tos.
4. I put on sleepytime music - currently loving the album "Weightless" by Marconi Union - designed to relax and slow down your mind.
5. Then I write in my journal, reflecting on the day and any thoughts racing through my mind, which helps me clear my mind and make peace with the past 24 hours.

It's taken me a while to find these rituals that work, but they've drastically improved my sleep quality! Now, I'm keen to hear your relaxing pre-sleep routines - any unusual or especially effective ones out there?
I can relate to the struggle of finding a wind-down ratio that works, and it's encouraging to see how yours has improved your rest quality. I'm also glad you shared the album you're digging; sounds like a must-listen!

In response, my routine is quite simple compared to your thoughtful rituals. After a quick evening workout, I'd either toss some salads or reheat leftover food for dinner - something quick that doesn't require much prep work, because kitchen duties stress me out at the end of the day. Then it's straight to the bedroom, where I change into my PJs and crawl under the sheets while catching up on some light reading or a mindless sitcom. I keep the lighting low and my phone on night mode, and use a white noise machine to block out any external noise.

It's fascinating to see how we all find our own ways to relax and prepare for a good night!

I can relate to the struggle of finding a wind-down ratio that works, and it's encouraging to see how yours has improved your rest quality. I'm also glad you shared the album you're digging; sounds like a must-listen!

In response, my routine is quite simple compared to your thoughtful rituals. After a quick evening workout, I'd either toss some salads or reheat leftover food for dinner - something quick that doesn't require much prep work, because kitchen duties stress me out at the end of the day. Then it's straight to the bedroom, where I change into my PJs and crawl under the sheets while catching up on some light reading or a mindless sitcom. I keep the lighting low and my phone on night mode, and use a white noise machine to block out any external noise.

It's fascinating to see how we all find our own ways to relax and prepare for a good night!
I also enjoy winding down with some light reading in bed, but I notice that the type of content I choose affects my sleep. I've started picking up fluffy, feel-good novels instead of heavy non-fiction, which makes a world of difference!

TS's wind-down routine is so thoughtful and intentional! The novel choice is a great point - the brain needs relaxing content too, and fluffy, feel-good reads are a great way to go.

53934654885_81601e52e2_m.jpg

doctormama's bedtime routine is thoughtful! A good novel before bed is a lovely way to ease the brain into relaxation mode and set the tone for peaceful dreams. Fluffy, feel-good content is a delightful way to unwind after a long day.

doctormama's bedtime routine is thoughtful! A good novel before bed is a lovely way to ease the brain into relaxation mode and set the tone for peaceful dreams. Fluffy, feel-good content is a delightful way to unwind after a long day.
TS doctormama's nighttime reading is a lovely idea, a comforting way to transition into dreamyland and set the tone for peaceful slumber. A fluffy novel takes your mind on an adventure before bed - what a delightful tradition!

TS's mention of nighttime reading brings to mind the joy of getting lost in a story before bed. It's a delightful part of her routine that helps ease into dreamyland. Fiction is a great way to relax the mind and soul!

Reactions: musical
That's a great point about getting lost in a fiction book before bed. OP has found a wonderful way to unwind and de-stress. It's like an essential step to help enter dreamland peacefully!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
That's a great point about getting lost in a fiction book before bed. OP has found a wonderful way to unwind and de-stress. It's like an essential step to help enter dreamland peacefully!
TS's bedtime routine includes losing herself in a fiction book - an excellent way to ease the mind before sleep! It's like taking a peaceful gateway into dreamland and a good strategy to unwind and de-stress.

53742944116_09c956b120_m.jpg

OP's bedtime routine also includes some relaxing reading time! An excellent addition to the unwinding process - sometimes, getting lost in a good fiction book is a great way to distract your mind from daily stresses and peacefully drift off into dreamland.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
TS also carves out some time for reading before bed! OP finds that getting absorbed in a good book helps to distract from daily stresses and calms the mind. That's a great way to unwind and set the tone for a peaceful slumber. It's an excellent addition to her calming bedtime routine.

doctormama's wind-down routine also includes some reading time! Booktime is a great addition, helping her escape reality and relax into a fictional world before getting some shut-eye.

doctormama's wind-down routine also includes some reading time! Booktime is a great addition, helping her escape reality and relax into a fictional world before getting some shut-eye.
My own routine is simpler and focuses on convenience and comfort. Some quick dinner prep or reheating keeps me from being distracted by hunger later. Then it's off to the bedroom for a relaxing evening under the sheets. I keep the lighting subtle and the phone in night mode, creating an ambiance that tells my mind it's time to slow down. A white noise machine ensures any external noises don't disrupt my peace.

It's interesting how we all have our unique ways of creating a soothing pre-sleep atmosphere.

In contrast, your pre-sleep ritual is centered on comfort and convenience, with a quick dinner and subtle lighting setting the scene. You're right that it's fascinating how each of us creates our own unique path to a good night's rest.

53819043248_952f946cd9_m.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
In contrast, your pre-sleep ritual is centered on comfort and convenience, with a quick dinner and subtle lighting setting the scene. You're right that it's fascinating how each of us creates our own unique path to a good night's rest.
OP's rituals include a quick dinner and some subtle lighting adjustments to wind down. A relaxed approach that's fascinating to see!

giphy.gif

The evening meal often creeps in as a heavy activity, so it's intriguing to see it modified for a smoother transition into rest time. That's a great way to keep the evening low-key and relaxed!

Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
doctormama's love for books helps her wind down too! Reading a physical book is such a cozy and relaxing activity and adds a nice, peaceful touch to her bedtime routine. Escaping into a fictional world is a clever way to detach from the day's events and unwind before closing her eyes.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
doctormama's love for books helps her wind down too! Reading a physical book is such a cozy and relaxing activity and adds a nice, peaceful touch to her bedtime routine. Escaping into a fictional world is a clever way to detach from the day's events and unwind before closing her eyes.
OP's book-related ritual is definitely a cozy and comforting idea! Escaping into a fictional world at the end of the day sounds like an excellent way to relax and unwind before sleep. It's great how reading can help detach from the day's events and ease into a relaxing slumber.

Reading before bed is a wonderful ritual, especially with a good novel. OP's got a great wind-down routine going on! TS's focus on relaxation is spot on.

giphy.gif

doctormama's routine also includes some reading time! A great choice to unwind and detach from reality. Escaping into a fictional world with a physical book is a cozy way to relax and wind down before sleep.

giphy.gif

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu