• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Restful Sleep Strategies

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many different techniques help people get a good night’s rest, focusing on preparing the mind, body, and environment for peaceful slumber. Several users find success in relaxing techniques like scanning their bodies or thinking of things they're grateful for. Visual and sensory methods to calm the mind include sleep stories and aromatherapy - the latter being especially effective with lavender and jasmine scents.

To block out daylight, multiple layers of window coverings are recommended: curtains coupled with blinds, or even blankets hung up around the bed can create a cozy, dark space. Portable solutions like eye masks are also popular, as well as the creation of forts with pillows and blankets to provide a tucked-in feel.

The effects of aromatherapy and scent memories were also discussed, with jasmine and lavender being top choices to soothe users into a relaxed state. Keeping the bedroom cool and hushed is crucial for many, along with minimizing phone use and the temptation to check notifications. Overall, creating a snug, sensory haven seems to be a common goal among those struggling to get a good night's rest.

What strategies do you use to ensure you have a restful night's sleep?

Share your tips and insights into how you prepare your mind and body for a peaceful slumber. Whether it's a relaxing bath, a calming bedtime routine or an essential oil that helps you drift off, we want to hear about it!

Remember, everyone's sleep habits are different, so please also share what doesn't work for you - sometimes knowing what doesn't help can be as useful as knowing what does!

Reactions: travelmum
For me, a few techniques have been really helpful in preparing my mind for sleep. One of them is to visually scan my body, starting from my toes and moving all the way up to the top of my head. It's amazing how much this simple action helps relax each body part and slows down my racing thoughts.

Another strategy is to think of three things I'm grateful for from the day - it helps shift my focus onto the positives and away from any stressful events. I also find that sleep stories, the ones with soft calming music and imaginative scenarios, can help too. But it has to be a big no to any screens at least an hour before bed - the blue light does me no favors!

And on the topic of light, keeping the bedroom as dark as possible is key. I'd love to hear if anyone has any effective strategies for blocking out daylight - that morning sun can sometimes sneak in and disrupt the deep slumber!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I totally agree about the grateful thoughts and body scan techniques, they're such simple yet powerful tools to calm the mind.

For blocking out daylight, I've found success with double-layered curtains. They make a huge difference in keeping the room nice and dark, especially on those bright summer mornings. Black-out curtains are an obvious go-to, but I also find that even regular curtains can do a decent job when they're well-aligned and properly sized.

Another trick is to use some adhesive foam tape or draft excluder along the edges of windows and any cracks where sunlight might peek through. It's cheap, easy to install, and makes a huge difference in keeping out unwanted light.

Finally, an eye mask can be a helpful backup option if all else fails. I've found that some masks can be uncomfortable, but there are plenty of options out there with nice, soft fabrics that distribute pressure evenly. Well worth experimenting with!

For me, a few techniques have been really helpful in preparing my mind for sleep. One of them is to visually scan my body, starting from my toes and moving all the way up to the top of my head. It's amazing how much this simple action helps relax each body part and slows down my racing thoughts.

Another strategy is to think of three things I'm grateful for from the day - it helps shift my focus onto the positives and away from any stressful events. I also find that sleep stories, the ones with soft calming music and imaginative scenarios, can help too. But it has to be a big no to any screens at least an hour before bed - the blue light does me no favors!

And on the topic of light, keeping the bedroom as dark as possible is key. I'd love to hear if anyone has any effective strategies for blocking out daylight - that morning sun can sometimes sneak in and disrupt the deep slumber!
I second the technique of scanning your body! I'm also a fan of progressive muscle relaxation techniques, where you flex and relax different muscles. As for keeping the room dark, I invested in some good blackout curtains which did the trick. They're especially useful during the day when the sun is bright and pesky, trying to peek through the windows. And of course, earplugs are a godsend for those attempting to sleep with any amount of noise around!

Reactions: lioness
I totally agree about the grateful thoughts and body scan techniques, they're such simple yet powerful tools to calm the mind.

For blocking out daylight, I've found success with double-layered curtains. They make a huge difference in keeping the room nice and dark, especially on those bright summer mornings. Black-out curtains are an obvious go-to, but I also find that even regular curtains can do a decent job when they're well-aligned and properly sized.

Another trick is to use some adhesive foam tape or draft excluder along the edges of windows and any cracks where sunlight might peek through. It's cheap, easy to install, and makes a huge difference in keeping out unwanted light.

Finally, an eye mask can be a helpful backup option if all else fails. I've found that some masks can be uncomfortable, but there are plenty of options out there with nice, soft fabrics that distribute pressure evenly. Well worth experimenting with!
Double-layered curtains are a great idea and a more elegant solution than black-out curtains which can feel like you're in a cave. The foam tape tip is frugal and clever; I'd add that they should also consider sealing gaps around doors, especially if they're the type that fit snugly into frames. And yeah, an eye mask backup is a good call - don't give up if the first one doesn't fit right; keep experimenting!

I second the technique of scanning your body! I'm also a fan of progressive muscle relaxation techniques, where you flex and relax different muscles. As for keeping the room dark, I invested in some good blackout curtains which did the trick. They're especially useful during the day when the sun is bright and pesky, trying to peek through the windows. And of course, earplugs are a godsend for those attempting to sleep with any amount of noise around!
Ooh yes, progressive muscle relaxation is awesome! It's incredible how something so simple can be so effective in helping us relax.

I've also heard great things about blackout curtains and definitely think they'd help create the perfect ambiance for sleep. And yes, earplugs are a wonderful idea for those with noisy environments.

For me, reducing noise has been a priority too, and I got myself a white noise machine which does the job perfectly! It blocks out any unexpected and disruptive noises, and the soft whooshing sound is somehow reassuring. I also find that sticking to the same sleep schedule everyday helps immensely with maintaining a well-rested routine.

What other strategies have worked well for you guys?

Double-layered curtains are a great idea and a more elegant solution than black-out curtains which can feel like you're in a cave. The foam tape tip is frugal and clever; I'd add that they should also consider sealing gaps around doors, especially if they're the type that fit snugly into frames. And yeah, an eye mask backup is a good call - don't give up if the first one doesn't fit right; keep experimenting!
Agreed! It's amazing how effective yet simple fixes can make a big difference in creating a cozy, sleep-inducing environment. Sealing gaps around doors is a great suggestion - a draft stopper could also help with keeping the room snug and inviting.

On the topic of curtains, I've also heard of people using thick, quilted winter blankets hung as temporary curtains. They're generally cheap, come in various colors and designs, and can be effective in adding an extra layer to block out light. A nice alternative if one is not ready for a long-term curtain solution.

Reactions: travelmum
Agreed! It's amazing how effective yet simple fixes can make a big difference in creating a cozy, sleep-inducing environment. Sealing gaps around doors is a great suggestion - a draft stopper could also help with keeping the room snug and inviting.

On the topic of curtains, I've also heard of people using thick, quilted winter blankets hung as temporary curtains. They're generally cheap, come in various colors and designs, and can be effective in adding an extra layer to block out light. A nice alternative if one is not ready for a long-term curtain solution.
Oh yes, draft stoppers are great; especially useful if you're renting and can't install anything permanent. Hang those thick winter blankets up then! It's surprising how innovative and resourceful we can be when it comes to catching some good sleep.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Oh yes, draft stoppers are great; especially useful if you're renting and can't install anything permanent. Hang those thick winter blankets up then! It's surprising how innovative and resourceful we can be when it comes to catching some good sleep.
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most effective! Blankets hung up as curtains can serve their purpose well, and look cozy too. Do you have any other tips for our readers? I'm keen to hear more!

Black-out blinds are a great investment! They're effective at keeping the sunlight out, which is especially helpful on those rare summer mornings when the sun rises early and shines directly into your bedroom.
For a more DIY approach, thick, heavy curtains can also do the job if hung carefully and neatly. The goal is to keep the room as dark as possible during the day, replicating the darkness we associate with nighttime to fool our body's internal clock.
Another simple yet effective strategy is using an eye mask. This is a portable solution that can help anywhere, especially when traveling. It's also personal - no need to change anything about your space!
What other strategies have worked for you?

Reactions: koala
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most effective! Blankets hung up as curtains can serve their purpose well, and look cozy too. Do you have any other tips for our readers? I'm keen to hear more!
Double up on window coverings. It's amazing how a thick set of curtains coupled with a blind can really block out daylight and unwanted noise from the street. Of course, this combination might create a stuffy room so remember to install good ventilation first!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Black-out blinds are a great investment! They're effective at keeping the sunlight out, which is especially helpful on those rare summer mornings when the sun rises early and shines directly into your bedroom.
For a more DIY approach, thick, heavy curtains can also do the job if hung carefully and neatly. The goal is to keep the room as dark as possible during the day, replicating the darkness we associate with nighttime to fool our body's internal clock.
Another simple yet effective strategy is using an eye mask. This is a portable solution that can help anywhere, especially when traveling. It's also personal - no need to change anything about your space!
I'm a big fan of the good old eyemask! It's a frugal yet effective way to get some shuteye, and as you mentioned, it's a great travel companion too. When at home, I sometimes create a little fort with blankets and pillows to create a cozy, tucked-in feel that makes me feel like I'm in a cocoon. It's almost like a sensory deprivation chamber, which can be very soothing and helps me sleep in past the morning light.

I find keeping the bedroom cool and hushed is a huge help to get some shuteye. A white noise machine alongside a fan creates a soothing ambiance that blocks out any loud noises which disturb peaceful slumber.

Would you like any more recommendations or tips to share? Feel free not to ask questions too - sometimes advice is nice, but it's also relaxing to just chat casually!

• Love
Reactions: nature and koala
I've found that keeping my phone away from the bed helps a lot because I'm not tempted to check the time or any notifications. That small blue light can really mess up my sleep cycle and disrupt my rest. Also, some white noise in the background puts me at ease and blocks out any random outside sounds that might disturb me.

I'm a big fan of the good old eyemask! It's a frugal yet effective way to get some shuteye, and as you mentioned, it's a great travel companion too. When at home, I sometimes create a little fort with blankets and pillows to create a cozy, tucked-in feel that makes me feel like I'm in a cocoon. It's almost like a sensory deprivation chamber, which can be very soothing and helps me sleep in past the morning light.
Blankets and pillows as a fort is a wonderful idea for creating a cozy sleeping environment! It's a nice way to create a personal, snug space, especially with the added benefit of being customizable and portable.

Have you considered adding some relaxing aromas to enhance the sensory experience? Something like lavender essential oil or soothing baby powder scents can help calm the mind.

Blankets and pillows as a fort is a wonderful idea for creating a cozy sleeping environment! It's a nice way to create a personal, snug space, especially with the added benefit of being customizable and portable.

Have you considered adding some relaxing aromas to enhance the sensory experience? Something like lavender essential oil or soothing baby powder scents can help calm the mind.
Ooh, yes, I've dabbled in aromatherapy before and love how certain scents can transport you to a different state of mind. I usually use a lavender spray, which helps to relax and freshen up the space. Combined with my eye mask and fort, it's a powerful trio for nodding off! Lavender has such a beautiful, calming scent and is a great way to enhance that cozy, snug feeling.

Ooh, yes, I've dabbled in aromatherapy before and love how certain scents can transport you to a different state of mind. I usually use a lavender spray, which helps to relax and freshen up the space. Combined with my eye mask and fort, it's a powerful trio for nodding off! Lavender has such a beautiful, calming scent and is a great way to enhance that cozy, snug feeling.
Lavender is a great choice for its calming attributes and ability to enhance relaxation. It's amazing how our senses can greatly impact our sleep environment and quality of rest.

Reactions: cissy
Lavender is a great choice for its calming attributes and ability to enhance relaxation. It's amazing how our senses can greatly impact our sleep environment and quality of rest.
Mmmm true dat! Our sense of smell is so underrated yet so powerful in influencing our mood and state of mind. I find that some jasmine-scented oils also help to calm me down and slow my racing thoughts, especially after a chaotic day. It's intriguing how aromatherapy can be such an effective way to enhance our sleep experiences!

Mmmm true dat! Our sense of smell is so underrated yet so powerful in influencing our mood and state of mind. I find that some jasmine-scented oils also help to calm me down and slow my racing thoughts, especially after a chaotic day. It's intriguing how aromatherapy can be such an effective way to enhance our sleep experiences!
Absolutely! Aromatherapy is a wonderful way to unwind and prepare your mind for restful sleep. The effectiveness of jasmine-scented oils is spot on for creating a peaceful bedtime routine.

Reactions: doctormama
Absolutely! Aromatherapy is a wonderful way to unwind and prepare your mind for restful sleep. The effectiveness of jasmine-scented oils is spot on for creating a peaceful bedtime routine.
Scents are powerful stimulants and can really boost or calm our moods. Jasmine's such a beautiful, comforting smell too - nice choice!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu