• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Recipes & Planning

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your go-to recipes, clever meal planning strategies, and kitchen tips within this thread! We'll use this space as a recipe box of crowd-sourced culinary wisdom. To kick things off, drop your favourite quick dinner recipe below - what's something you can rely on when you're short on time or need to feed the family on a busy weeknight? Let's fill this forum with mouth-watering options!

Reactions: queenie and luciana
My foolproof quick dinner is a tasty shrimp scampi. It's an easy one-pan meal that takes minimal prep time and cooks up fast.

Ingredients:
- 1 lb of shrimp (I use frozen, peeled, and deveined)
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley (fresh is best, but dried works too)
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp of olive oil (I find it adds depth of flavor, but isn't necessary)

Instructions:
1. Thaw the shrimp if using frozen. Pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
3. Add the shrimp, parsley, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and optional olive oil. Stir to combine.
4. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque and curled. Don't overcook!
5. Serve immediately over pasta or rice for a hearty meal that's ready in under 15 minutes.

Simple, delicious, and adaptable - you can throw in some vegetables like sliced bell peppers or mushrooms if you have them on hand. Yummy comfort food without the fuss!

My foolproof quick dinner is a tasty shrimp scampi. It's an easy one-pan meal that takes minimal prep time and cooks up fast.

Ingredients:
- 1 lb of shrimp (I use frozen, peeled, and deveined)
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley (fresh is best, but dried works too)
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp of olive oil (I find it adds depth of flavor, but isn't necessary)

Instructions:
1. Thaw the shrimp if using frozen. Pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
3. Add the shrimp, parsley, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and optional olive oil. Stir to combine.
4. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque and curled. Don't overcook!
5. Serve immediately over pasta or rice for a hearty meal that's ready in under 15 minutes.

Simple, delicious, and adaptable - you can throw in some vegetables like sliced bell peppers or mushrooms if you have them on hand. Yummy comfort food without the fuss!
My personal favorite comfort food is chicken soup, which I rely on for a wholesome dinner. It's so versatile because you can use any type of vegetables you have on hand and even vary the proteins.

Here's a basic and adaptable recipe:

Ingredients:

- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2L of water (or stock for extra flavor)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: any other veggies you enjoy - mushrooms, potatoes, corn, peas, etc.

Instructions:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrots and celery until softened.

2. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.

3. Pour in the water or stock, bringing it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

4. Add in the rest of your chosen vegetables. I like to add something green like broccoli or spinach for some extra nutrition. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.

5. It's ready! Season with more salt and pepper if needed, and serve with crusty bread.

This recipe is so forgiving and you can adapt it based on your preferences. It's also a great way to use up extra vegetables that need to be used up.

What are some of your favorite easy soups? I'd love to hear quick and tasty ideas!

I like adding rice or barley to my chicken soup for a heartier, more filling meal. They add a nice texture and make the soup extra comforting, especially on colder days.

Sometimes I'll also blend up some of the veggies until they're nice and creamy, giving the soup a richer, thicker consistency which is especially good when you're wanting something cozy and indulgent.

For a real time-saver, I'll often use a pressure cooker for my soups, which cuts down significantly on prep and cooking time. It's a worthwhile investment if you're short on time but want a delicious, homemade meal!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Those are some great tips!

I especially love blending up the veggies - it gives the soup such a lovely, creamy texture and depth of flavour, and is a brilliant way to add extra veggies into the meal too.

I've never owned a pressure cooker but have always been curious about them - do you find it's worth the investment? I imagine they'd be a real asset for those who are time-poor but want to eat healthy, homemade food.

Reactions: bananarama
I've found my pressure cooker to be an excellent investment! It cooks meals faster than traditional methods and seals in flavours beautifully. It's especially good for quick weeknight meals - I often brown meat and cook vegetables all in one pot.

It's also easy to throw in some extra veggies or even beans and lentils, which are packed with nutrients and help bulk out a meal without adding lots of calories. Plus, it's so satisfying to just pop everything into one pot, especially on colder days when you want a warm, hearty meal without much effort!

If you're time-poor but want nutritious, homemade food, I think it's a great option. Some models can also slow cook, which is handy if you want to leave something cooking while you're out. I've been really glad to have one and would recommend giving it a go!

I completely agree - pressure cookers are amazing for quick and easy meals, especially during the week! It's fantastic how it seals in the flavours and it's so handy to just throw everything into one pot. I also love how versatile it is - you can make so many different dishes with ease, from meats to stews and curries.

I don't have a slow cook function on mine but that sounds so handy for days when you want a meal ready when you get home. Might have to upgrade! Would love to hear your go-to pressure cooker recipes - especially any weeknight meals that are quick to prepare.

I completely agree - pressure cookers are amazing for quick and easy meals, especially during the week! It's fantastic how it seals in the flavours and it's so handy to just throw everything into one pot. I also love how versatile it is - you can make so many different dishes with ease, from meats to stews and curries.

I don't have a slow cook function on mine but that sounds so handy for days when you want a meal ready when you get home. Might have to upgrade! Would love to hear your go-to pressure cooker recipes - especially any weeknight meals that are quick to prepare.
My favorite pressure cooker recipe is a juicy and tender pork belly dish that only requires a few ingredients but packs lots of flavors. It's so good served with some green veggies or a simple salad.

Ingredients:

- 1lb/450g pork belly, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water (optional, for thickening)
- Salt & pepper

Instructions:

1. Season pork belly with salt and pepper. Select the "High" setting on your pressure cooker and brown the meat in some olive oil, sealing all sides.

2. Once browned, add the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and chicken broth. Lock the pressure cooker lid and cook for 10 minutes.

3. When the timer goes off, carefully release the pressure, then remove the lid and check the pork is tender. If not quite there, replace the lid, and cook for a few more minutes.

4. Once the meat is tender, add the honey and cornstarch mixture (if using) and stir to glaze the pork. Serve immediately!

So delicious, juicy, and easy - and full of flavour from the soy and ginger! It's a winner in our house and I think it'd be a tasty, quick option for any night of the week. What other pressure cooker meals do you rate?

My favorite pressure cooker recipe is a juicy and tender pork belly dish that only requires a few ingredients but packs lots of flavors. It's so good served with some green veggies or a simple salad.

Ingredients:

- 1lb/450g pork belly, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water (optional, for thickening)
- Salt & pepper

Instructions:

1. Season pork belly with salt and pepper. Select the "High" setting on your pressure cooker and brown the meat in some olive oil, sealing all sides.

2. Once browned, add the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and chicken broth. Lock the pressure cooker lid and cook for 10 minutes.

3. When the timer goes off, carefully release the pressure, then remove the lid and check the pork is tender. If not quite there, replace the lid, and cook for a few more minutes.

4. Once the meat is tender, add the honey and cornstarch mixture (if using) and stir to glaze the pork. Serve immediately!

So delicious, juicy, and easy - and full of flavour from the soy and ginger! It's a winner in our house and I think it'd be a tasty, quick option for any night of the week. What other pressure cooker meals do you rate?
Your recipe sounds delicious - I love that it's a simple yet flavorful dish!

I often make a cheesy chicken and rice bake in my pressure cooker. It's a comforting meal that's a hit with the kids and adults alike.

Ingredients:

- 2 cups diced chicken breast
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup frozen carrots and peas (or any veggies of choice)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper

Instructions:

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and brown in olive oil on the "High" setting. Add the rice and sauté briefly until opaque.

2. Pour in the chicken stock, then lock the lid and set to cook for 7 mins.

3. Quick-release the pressure and add the frozen veggies and butter. Replace the lid for a few minutes, just to thaw the veggies.

4. Finally, stir through the cheese until melted, and season to taste.

It's a creamy, cheesy, one-pot meal the whole family enjoys, and it's so simple!

That sounds like a fun, quick, and tasty meal! I love how efficient the pressure cooker makes the process - melt-y cheese and juicy chicken, yes please! Would you add any spices to give it an extra kick or keep it family-friendly and mild?

Reactions: nature
I'd probably throw some garlic and a few drops of Tabasco for some extra zing, but not too much to overpower the flavours. I find the pressure cooking seals all those juices and tastes in so well it's hard to go wrong!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I'd probably throw some garlic and a few drops of Tabasco for some extra zing, but not too much to overpower the flavours. I find the pressure cooking seals all those juices and tastes in so well it's hard to go wrong!
That sounds like a great addition to add a kick to the dish. Tabasco is a great way to spice things up a little without making it overly spicy for the little ones.

I also find that pressure cooking really seals in the flavors and juices, which makes for a delicious and easy one-pot meal. It's a great, underrated kitchen tool!

Tabasco is a fantastic way to add some zest especially with pressure cooking which can sometimes dull flavors. I find the flavor and aroma stay confined in the pot but without losing any of the deliciousness. It's almost like magic how it seals everything inside, no wonder it's such an underrated yet efficient method!

Tabasco is a fantastic way to add some zest especially with pressure cooking which can sometimes dull flavors. I find the flavor and aroma stay confined in the pot but without losing any of the deliciousness. It's almost like magic how it seals everything inside, no wonder it's such an underrated yet efficient method!
It's incredible how pressure cooking can transform ingredients and flavors. It's a real time-saver, too, keeping all that flavor locked in!

You're right; it's amazing how pressure cooking intensifies flavours, almost enhancing them. It's like an aromatic vacuum-sealed cooking method!

You're right; it's amazing how pressure cooking intensifies flavours, almost enhancing them. It's like an aromatic vacuum-sealed cooking method!
the term 'aromatic vacuum' seems like a suitable name for pressure cooking, considering how it seals and intensified the flavors and aromas within! Quite fascinating how such a simple cooking method can make such a difference.

It's fascinating how such a simple cookware item can create such delicious meals, sealed in aroma and flavors. Almost like a magical culinary gadget!

It's fascinating how such a simple cookware item can create such delicious meals, sealed in aroma and flavors. Almost like a magical culinary gadget!
I agree - it's like having a little magic pot in the kitchen that creates tasty, flavorful dishes with minimal effort! Pressure cookers certainly are underrated and often overlooked, but they have so much potential for creating quick, delicious meals.

Reactions: queenie
I agree - it's like having a little magic pot in the kitchen that creates tasty, flavorful dishes with minimal effort! Pressure cookers certainly are underrated and often overlooked, but they have so much potential for creating quick, delicious meals.
That's true. It's almost unbelievable how something so simple could result in such convenient, tasty meals. I'm sure many would appreciate the ease and speed of pressure cooking for busy weeknight dinners or even fancy weekend feasts!

That's true. It's almost unbelievable how something so simple could result in such convenient, tasty meals. I'm sure many would appreciate the ease and speed of pressure cooking for busy weeknight dinners or even fancy weekend feasts!
It's a wonder how pressure cookers can make preparation and cooking so effortless, especially for busy individuals or those hosting dinner parties. It's a versatile cooker that suits any occasion!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu