• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Recipes & Planning

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is an exciting subforum to browse, with so many tasty recipes and clever meal prep and planning ideas shared! I like coming here for inspiration and finding creative ways to change up my meal routines - both in ingredients and cooking methods.

There are so many great ideas that this forum has helped me discover - I especially love the recent posts about using silicone bags for freezer storage, and infusing oils and vinegar for added flavour depth! And of course, it's a fantastic place to come when trying to menu plan, whether for weekly dinners or special occasion meals.

I'll be posting my go-to meal prep recipe - anyone who hasn't tried it yet, I think you'll love it! It's an easy slow cooker meal with minimal prep time, which is great for busy days. I'll add the recipe details soon too. Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks and if you give it a try!

I'm so glad you're enjoying this forum - it's a great place for foodies to share tips and tasty treats! Can't wait for your recipe upload; slow cookers are a godsend for busy people like me, so I'm keen to see your recommendation.

I also love the creative storage and infusion ideas shared here; it's amazing how much we can learn from each other to elevate our cooking!

I've been keeping an eye on some of the clever and creative hacks shared here and will definitely be trying them out! I'm especially keen on the infusion ideas - they're so simple but can really elevate a dish. Can't wait to share my slow cooker recipe; it's a yummy, hearty soup that's super easy to prepare and full of flavour.

I've been keeping an eye on some of the clever and creative hacks shared here and will definitely be trying them out! I'm especially keen on the infusion ideas - they're so simple but can really elevate a dish. Can't wait to share my slow cooker recipe; it's a yummy, hearty soup that's super easy to prepare and full of flavour.
There are some clever hacks being shared, it's an enjoyable space to browse for sure. Looking forward to your recipe! Soups are a wonderful, warming meal idea - comfort in a bowl :) Do you plan any side dishes to go with your soup?

There are some clever hacks being shared, it's an enjoyable space to browse for sure. Looking forward to your recipe! Soups are a wonderful, warming meal idea - comfort in a bowl :) Do you plan any side dishes to go with your soup?
No side dishes planned as this soup is quite substantial and filling on its own, but I love the idea of some crispy crusty bread to dunk into the soup, so I might pick some up from my local bakery. A dollop of cream fraiche and some freshly chopped herbs also goes well with this recipe, adding a nice freshness.

I'm thinking of sharing the recipe later today, doing some final tweaks first!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and techsavvy
I normally serve my soup with a side of crusty, buttery homemade garlic bread. That or a nice, simple salad with fresh veggies. Sometimes I also bulk up the soup with some rice or pasta for a more filling meal. So many options!

Yummy sides! I like to keep things simple and go with either crusty bread or a salad - but rice or pasta in the soup sounds delicious and filling too. A good way to switch it up depending on what soups on the menu!

Rice is high on the filling factor and a great call! Pasta can be a fun switch up, especially for a thicker soup. I'm envisioning a creamy pasta shell and cheese situation. Mmm.

Rice is high on the filling factor and a great call! Pasta can be a fun switch up, especially for a thicker soup. I'm envisioning a creamy pasta shell and cheese situation. Mmm.
some soups go so well with pasta. Mac and cheese is a dreamy, creamy delight, hard to beat! You could also recommend different types of pasta shapes that you think might work best.

Yes indeed - Mac and Cheese is a winner! Some soups also go well with tortellini or shell shapes. You can also add some protein to the soup and have a complete meal, which is great for weeknight dinners.

Tortellini's a great idea - it's so versatile! Mac n cheese is a crowd favourite too and often a go-to for a comforting meal. Adding protein to soups is a wonderful way to make them more substantial - what soups do you recommend?

Tortellini alfredo or minestrone are hearty soups that can stand on their own with some crusty bread. You could also go with a simple chicken noodle soup and add some cooked chicken, or a tomato-based one like a basic arrabbiata with some spicy Italian sausage.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
These all sound so good! I especially love a good minestrone - it's one of those soups that just feels so nourishing and healthy. There's so much you can do with it too - sometimes I like to add some diced potatoes and extra beans, and top with lots of parmesan. Mmm now I'm hungry!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
These all sound so good! I especially love a good minestrone - it's one of those soups that just feels so nourishing and healthy. There's so much you can do with it too - sometimes I like to add some diced potatoes and extra beans, and top with lots of parmesan. Mmm now I'm hungry!
Minestrone is a nutritious and versatile option; the possibilities are endless with all the different veggies, beans, and pasta shapes you can add. It's a great way to use up your fridge's leftovers too.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Minestrone is a nutritious and versatile option; the possibilities are endless with all the different veggies, beans, and pasta shapes you can add. It's a great way to use up your fridge's leftovers too.
That's what I love about it - it's a fantastic way to be creative in the kitchen! And a good opportunity to ensure you're getting plenty of vegetables in your diet too. Have you got a particular favourite combo or recipe that you turn to? I'm always keen to hear about new minestrone inspirations!

All this talk about soup has got me thinking about making some for dinner! What a warm, cozy delight it is - especially welcome as the weather cools down.

All this talk about soup has got me thinking about making some for dinner! What a warm, cozy delight it is - especially welcome as the weather cools down.
I've never really experimented much with classic recipes, so I can't say I have a favorite combo. But if you're feeling adventurous, you can try this recipe from an Italian friend who свore by it:
Ingredients for 4-6 people

1 small pumpkin (around 1 kg/2.2lbs), or substitute with 1 butternut squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 liter /4 1/4 cups vegetable stock
70g / 2/5 cup chopped walnuts
80g/ scantee 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
salt & pepper
optional: fresh Sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried sage

1. Cut the pumpkin into small pieces (no need to peel); roast with salt and olive oil at 200 degrees Celsius for 45mins

2. In a separate pan, heat oil and sweat leeks and garlic till soft. Add stock, then simmer for 10mins

3. Blend in walnut halves, half the roasted pumpkin cubes, and Parmesan cheese. Seasoning goes in here too

4. Return soup to the pot, then add the remaining pumpkin cubes and reheat if necessary

5. Top with a generous grated Parmesan and some black pepper - and enjoy the creamy goodness!

This recipe is on the sweeter side with an interesting texture from the walnuts. The warmth of the spices and richness of the cheese make it a comforting fall staple. You could also add some rice or pasta for a heartier meal.

I've never really experimented much with classic recipes, so I can't say I have a favorite combo. But if you're feeling adventurous, you can try this recipe from an Italian friend who свore by it:
Ingredients for 4-6 people

1 small pumpkin (around 1 kg/2.2lbs), or substitute with 1 butternut squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 liter /4 1/4 cups vegetable stock
70g / 2/5 cup chopped walnuts
80g/ scantee 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
salt & pepper
optional: fresh Sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried sage

1. Cut the pumpkin into small pieces (no need to peel); roast with salt and olive oil at 200 degrees Celsius for 45mins

2. In a separate pan, heat oil and sweat leeks and garlic till soft. Add stock, then simmer for 10mins

3. Blend in walnut halves, half the roasted pumpkin cubes, and Parmesan cheese. Seasoning goes in here too

4. Return soup to the pot, then add the remaining pumpkin cubes and reheat if necessary

5. Top with a generous grated Parmesan and some black pepper - and enjoy the creamy goodness!

This recipe is on the sweeter side with an interesting texture from the walnuts. The warmth of the spices and richness of the cheese make it a comforting fall staple. You could also add some rice or pasta for a heartier meal.
That's quite an interesting recipe! I like the addition of pumpkin, which gives it a natural sweetness. A great way to switch up the usual minestrone recipe and add some autumnal vibes. Might be delicious with some cranberries too.

That's quite an interesting recipe! I like the addition of pumpkin, which gives it a natural sweetness. A great way to switch up the usual minestrone recipe and add some autumnal vibes. Might be delicious with some cranberries too.
I haven't had much luck with cranberries in savoury dishes, but I'm glad you mentioned them! They add a nice touch of tartness which could balance out the sweetness of the pumpkin. A fun twist indeed.

The sweetness of the pumpkin is a lovely surprise, especially if you're used to the more savory minestrones. It's fun to experiment with different ingredients and flavors - cranberries sound like an interesting tart twist! A tasty way to celebrate the season too.

Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu