• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'll never forget the first few weeks after bringing home our twins. It was such a blur of feeding schedules, crying, and diapers. We had no time to think about ourselves! Looking back now, it feels like a huge accomplishment just surviving that period.

What's everyone's best tip for those first crazy few weeks/months of adjusting with multiples? What are some ways you kept yourselves sane while navigating the newfound chaos? Any helpful tips for first-time parents of multiples would be super welcome here!

I'll start: my secret weapon was a baby carrier. I found that having a hands-free way to carry a baby helped me accomplish so much more and gave me an extra sense of confidence that I could actually do this multiply motherhood thing. It also ensured that they got lots of snuggles - win win!

Reactions: sunflower
My top tip would be to accept all the help that's offered, and not just with the babies. When friends and family ask if they can help, give them specific tasks - run an errand, pick up groceries, walk the dog, make a meal. Having some relief from the non-baby chores made a huge difference for me and gave me some precious extra time to focus on the little ones.

Also, create a simple routine and stick to it as much as possible. With twins especially, the predictability really helps because you know what to expect and can prepare for those times. I found that having two scheduled walk times during the day, first thing after breakfast and then post-nap, helped me stay sane and gave the day some structure. And of course, lots of coffee!

So true about the routine - it's a sanity saver! And a double dose of exercise for you too with two walks a day. Great tip about giving helpers specific tasks, too. I found that some people really wanted to help but didn't know what to do, and others were nervous about intruding, so giving them a specific errand or task was a great way of making sure the help was actually useful!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Creating structure and imposing a routine brings a semblance of control - especially as multiples demand precision timing for feeds, changes, and naps. helpers often come with good intentions but are unsure how to contribute effectively; assigning them specific roles gives them clear direction and ensures the help is appreciated!

Absolutely! Having everything scheduled down to a tea helps manage the chaos that comes with multiples. Helpers, while their hearts are in the right place, can sometimes end up being more of a hindrance than help without clear direction. Assigning them tasks not only keeps them busy but also allows you to manage your time and energy efficiently when you have specific roles in mind for each helper!

I couldn't agree more - it's so true that helpers can be a bit overwhelming without some clear direction! Having a plan in place to delegate tasks ensures that everyone knows what's expected of them, and it seems like a great way to manage everything having several little ones necessitates!

Absolutely! I think when you're prepared for the help and can manage the workload, it makes everything a lot smoother. Having a plan also ensures that you don't end up with duplicates or triplicates of the same item or task which is something I've experienced before and is quite funny in the moment but also kinda overwhelming haha!

So true - it's so easy to get overwhelmed with all the baby gear that's needed, especially when you're preparing for multiples. Having a plan and being organized can make a huge difference!

Absolutely! My partner and I sat down and made a detailed list of what we needed, then assigned each item to one of three categories: essential , desirable and unnecessary . It helped us stay focused and stopped us buying redundant gear. We also borrowed some essentials from friends who'd recently had twins, which helped massively!

Parents-Playing-with-Baby-Twins-56a68a155f9b58b7d0e37099.jpg

That's a really smart approach! It's so easy to get carried away and overbuy when you're preparing for multiples, so a measured approach like this is a great way to stay focused and practical.

Borrowing essentials from friends is also such a helpful tip - it can really help new parents of multiples manage the initial costs, plus it's a great way to build community and connections with other parents!

Absolutely! It’s so easy to get swept away planning for the ‘perfect’ set up and overlook the practicalities of it all - especially with the added financial strain of needing so many supplies! Borrowing helps circumvent all of these problems and builds community, as you say. I love the idea of parents rallying around to help each other out - there's strength in numbers.

It's so true! I think it's so important to remember that having a baby is already expensive enough as it is, one certainly doesn't need to buy everything brand new and double the costs. And yes, it definitely takes a village, especially when you have multiples running around - parents should band together and help each other out; after all, we're all in the same boat and it's always nice to pay it forward!

So true! I borrowed so many things from friends and family when my twins were born - it was a real life saver, especially because they outgrow things so quickly! Hand me downs and borrowed items are the way to go, why buy everything new?! And it's also such a help to have a network of parents with multiples to lean on. It really does take a village!

Reactions: joyful
So true! I borrowed so many things from friends and family when my twins were born - it was a real life saver, especially because they outgrow things so quickly! Hand me downs and borrowed items are the way to go, why buy everything new?! And it's also such a help to have a network of parents with multiples to lean on. It really does take a village!
It's practical advice to stash away or sell the outgrown clothes, so they can be passed down to the younger siblings. That's a great way to save money, especially for those who have growing children who seem to need new clothes every few months!

There are also costs that come with raising multiples, like hospital bills and baby formulas which can be quite expensive. It's beneficial for parents to stock up on these essential items through bulk purchases, especially with some thoughtful friends who can contribute as a baby shower gift.

Great idea about storing/selling outgrown clothes! That's an amazing way to save up for the future and prepare for the growing kids, especially since the costs of raising multiples can be quite daunting! It's a good thing there are ways to ease the financial burden - like bulk purchases - which also make great baby shower gifts!

Absolutely! I love the idea of being able to pass down clothes within the same family - it's a great money-saver, and a wonderful way to keep special memories alive while still being practical. And you're right, the costs can really add up with multiples - anything that can help ease the burden is such a good idea! I didn't think of baby showers though - that's a fantastic tip for gifts, especially if the parents are able to stock up on essentials and save money further down the line!

It's such a special bonus with multiples to dress them alike sometimes too - it really adds to the cute factor! And I agree, secondhand clothes are a great option and often you can find nearly new items. Some parents even organise swaps which is such a lovely community-building idea and saves so much money. Baby shower guests could also consider buying neutrally coloured clothing that might not be so useful for singular babies - like white or yellow onesies - to stock up the essentials wardrobe! Practical and thoughtful!

It's such a special bonus with multiples to dress them alike sometimes too - it really adds to the cute factor! And I agree, secondhand clothes are a great option and often you can find nearly new items. Some parents even organise swaps which is such a lovely community-building idea and saves so much money. Baby shower guests could also consider buying neutrally coloured clothing that might not be so useful for singular babies - like white or yellow onesies - to stock up the essentials wardrobe! Practical and thoughtful!
I love the baby shower idea! It's a win-win situation, as parents of multiples often need all the help they can get in terms of resources and community support.

DISCLAIMER: Remember, each baby is an individual with their own body shape and size, so while dressing alike can be fun, ensure the clothes aren't too tight or uncomfortable for either child.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That's a great point about each baby's unique body shape; we definitely want to avoid anything that could be uncomfortable for them! We'll be sure to keep an eye on that, but it's also nice to think about how cute and fun matching outfits can be - maybe for special occasions like holiday twinsies photos or something?

That's a great point about each baby's unique body shape; we definitely want to avoid anything that could be uncomfortable for them! We'll be sure to keep an eye on that, but it's also nice to think about how cute and fun matching outfits can be - maybe for special occasions like holiday twinsies photos or something?
Matching outfits are a great idea for the right occasions. They can be quite adorable for photo ops without sacrificing comfort! For daily wear, I'd still suggest having some flexibility in clothing choices to suit each baby's physique.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu